Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Hadlock posted:

Have you pulled out the dishwasher and physically measured the cavity? There's a non zero chance the carpenter wasn't a complete idiot and gave you a 24 ¼" space, but just added some extra superficial trim around the outside to hide the gap created by the tiny dishwasher

Nah, I have never moved one of these before. That's a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

On a side note, my fridge cavity is approximately ½" too short to fit a full size American modern style fridge in our cavity, my guess is that if I were to pull up the ½" tile underneath it, and place it directly on the concrete underfloor, it'd fit ok, but don't want to deal with that. This is a height issue though, not a width one

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
In my first few weeks of new home ownership:

1. Fixed a leak under our sink.
2. Connected our refrigerator's ice maker up to the water supply. For some reason it was disconnected. Probably because it's going to flood the house.

A question: during our home inspection the inspector said the water pressure in our house was too high. Is this something I can fix/do myself easily?

Garage guy said he's starting Monday/Tuesday. :toot:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Residency Evil posted:

In my first few weeks of new home ownership:

1. Fixed a leak under our sink.
2. Connected our refrigerator's ice maker up to the water supply. For some reason it was disconnected. Probably because it's going to flood the house.

A question: during our home inspection the inspector said the water pressure in our house was too high. Is this something I can fix/do myself easily?

Garage guy said he's starting Monday/Tuesday. :toot:

I would pick up a $10 water gauge that screws onto an external silcock and test it yourself. Let the water run for 30 seconds before you screw it on to test the water. This will relieve any built up pressure from hot water expanding if you don't have an expansion tank or it's bad. If the reading actually is too high (>80 PSI) then you will need a water pressure regulator installed which is probably a job for a pro, albeit it relatively straight forward.

If the pressure reading comes back fine and you don't have an expansion tank I would recommend installing one and calibrating it appropriately. If you currently have one, I would verify that the bladder is still intact and it does not need to be replaced.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Upgrade posted:

What’s a typical cost to switch from a gas tank to gas tankless?

With the caveats that this was almost a decade ago, and the gas line in my utility closet was already big enough to handle the upsized demand (only 120k BTUs) I paid about $2000 for the heater, replacement venting through the roof and labor to install it. Took half a day, and the water heater itself was about $600 of that.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

SpartanIvy posted:

I would pick up a $10 water gauge that screws onto an external silcock and test it yourself. Let the water run for 30 seconds before you screw it on to test the water. This will relieve any built up pressure from hot water expanding if you don't have an expansion tank or it's bad. If the reading actually is too high (>80 PSI) then you will need a water pressure regulator installed which is probably a job for a pro, albeit it relatively straight forward.

If the pressure reading comes back fine and you don't have an expansion tank I would recommend installing one and calibrating it appropriately. If you currently have one, I would verify that the bladder is still intact and it does not need to be replaced.

Thanks! iirc the inspector said it's something like 110 psi or something (I need to look through the notes). Is a pressure regulator not something that's typically installed in most houses?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks! iirc the inspector said it's something like 110 psi or something (I need to look through the notes). Is a pressure regulator not something that's typically installed in most houses?

I believe in some regions that they are very common but around me they are the exception.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

That's a lot.

No, they aren't typically installed unless you have a high supply pressure like that.

Chances are near 100% that you have one installed already (these things don't just happen overnight) and it's failed. Most of them are rebuildable/require no soldering things on/off. If you're really lucky there is an easily accessible shut-off on the supply side of it. Time to go looking for feeds/shutoffs/etc :)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Both of my houses here in TX have had pressure regulators on the incoming water line. I think mine is set to 65psi right now. You def don’t want 110 psi water coming into the house.

I had the cheap plastic builder grade one replaced when my irrigation system was being installed. Put in a nice solid brass unit which shouldn’t fail in short period of time

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

skipdogg posted:

You def don’t want 110 psi water coming into the house.
Would probably want to take a couple showers in that glorious pressure before fixing it. But that opens the possibility of normal pressure never being enough and slowly going insane.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

stealie72 posted:

Would probably want to take a couple showers in that glorious pressure before fixing it. But that opens the possibility of normal pressure never being enough and slowly going insane.

This is what I'm afraid of. The previous owner redid all of the bathrooms as part of a renovation and the pressure is lacking compared to the black market elephant shower nozzle I'm used to. :sigh:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

This is what I'm afraid of. The previous owner redid all of the bathrooms as part of a renovation and the pressure is lacking compared to the black market elephant shower nozzle I'm used to. :sigh:

It's unlikely dropping your pater pressure to a residential-safe (for you plumbing fixtures) level will change that much, because they probably just have restrictors in them.

You know what to do........

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've got 75 PSI water pressure and removed the restrictor from my dual shower head setup and it blasts water like a waterfall. It is pure loving bliss.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I bought a shower head from Amazon a few months ago that advertised an easily removable restrictor, but I put it back in after one shower because while glorious is felt like a truly irresponsible amount of water.

Particularly since I've got a septic tank that has been prone to backing up the last two years due to the ground just being too wet for the drain field to work.

I've actually got someone coming to pump it Wednesday because there's currently turds floating in my garden.

Is anyone familiar with the phenomenon? I want to ask if a new drain field will help the situation (afaik it's from 1980), but I don't want the company to just see dollar signs and put it in and then I've still got the same problem because they've built up all the swamps that used to be around me and now there's nowhere for all the rain to go.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

What type of system do you have in place now? I'm assuming it's just a standard leaching bed. Raised beds are an option which can help with soggy soils, but your best bet is to get someone local who knows the area and can design a system that meets local codes and your needs.

You can probably find out who developers are using in your area for the septic engineering side of things and reach out to them, they might be willing to do an investigation. Of course, if your system is from 1980, you're on borrowed time at this point. At least around here, septic systems usually last for ~25-30 years (though I know of some over 50 and a neighbour had theirs fail at 7), so I probably wouldn't be too worried about having a few companies come out and quote you the work they think needs to be done. Depending on the system, you may be able to re-use the tank and just replace the bed, though that will depend on local codes. Make sure the quotes you receive include all the permitting / engineering work required.

I know when the previous owners replaced the septic here, they switched to a raised bed system because they didn't want to dig up the old bed - because if they dig up the contaminated soil, they have to dispose of it appropriately, which is lots of :10bux:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shroomie posted:

I've actually got someone coming to pump it Wednesday because there's currently turds floating in my garden.

Is anyone familiar with the phenomenon? I want to ask if a new drain field will help the situation (afaik it's from 1980), but I don't want the company to just see dollar signs and put it in and then I've still got the same problem because they've built up all the swamps that used to be around me and now there's nowhere for all the rain to go.

If this is what is literally happening you have a massive, massive breach of your settling box and potentially whatever kind of leech field or tanks you have downstream of it.

There's almost no sense in even guessing at what could be wrong at this point because you absolutely need someone to pump the box and then inspect it as step 1. There will definitely be more steps after that, as there is no way a proper system could ever allow this to happen. You would have a backup in the house first. So something is very, very not right.

If it's an old school pre-inspection system the best case scenario is that it has a "bypass" (totally not allowed now) and the box is clogged so it's free flowing above ground.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Motronic posted:

If this is what is literally happening you have a massive, massive breach of your settling box and potentially whatever kind of leech field or tanks you have downstream of it.

There's almost no sense in even guessing at what could be wrong at this point because you absolutely need someone to pump the box and then inspect it as step 1. There will definitely be more steps after that, as there is no way a proper system could ever allow this to happen. You would have a backup in the house first. So something is very, very not right.

If it's an old school pre-inspection system the best case scenario is that it has a "bypass" (totally not allowed now) and the box is clogged so it's free flowing above ground.

It's because I took the cap off to relieve the pressure because I'd rather have the turds in my yard than in my shower.

Edit: Last year when it backed up the guy sucked it all out and at the end he was like "look, you can see water flowing back into the tank from your drain field. It will probably fill up again and you can pay me another $300 to suck the water out or you can just wait for the ground to dry out". Sure enough it filled back up and I just had to leave the clean out cap off for a week or two for the water table to go down.

I was fine with it being a once every decade when it gets extra rainy thing, but now that it's happened two years in a row I'd like to explore other options.

Shroomie fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 2, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shroomie posted:

It's because I took the cap off to relieve the pressure because I'd rather have the turds in my yard than in my shower.

Edit: Last year when it backed up the guy sucked it all out and at the end he was like "look, you can see water flowing back into the tank from your drain field. It will probably fill up again and you can pay me another $300 to suck the water out or you can just wait for the ground to dry out". Sure enough it filled back up and I just had to leave the clean out cap off for a week or two for the water table to go down.

I was fine with it being a once every decade when it gets extra rainy thing, but now that it's happened two years in a row I'd like to explore other options.

So your leech field is blown. This is a $15k problem if your soil is good and a $30k+ problem if it's not.

Also, don't take the top of the box off and let raw sewage flow into your yard. That's disgusting, unhygienic and a disease vector. Seriously. Come on now.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Motronic posted:

So your leech field is blown. This is a $15k problem if your soil is good and a $30k+ problem if it's not.

Also, don't take the top of the box off and let raw sewage flow into your yard. That's disgusting, unhygienic and a disease vector. Seriously. Come on now.

It's not the top of the box it's just the 4" cap on the clean out between the tank and the house. I wouldn't leave a gaping death hole in my yard. And yeah it's super gross but again it's that or a shower full of sewage so I'm choosing it be an outside problem for a couple days.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shroomie posted:

It's not the top of the box it's just the 4" cap on the clean out between the tank and the house. I wouldn't leave a gaping death hole in my yard. And yeah it's super gross but again it's that or a shower full of sewage so I'm choosing it be an outside problem for a couple days.

This is a distinction without a difference. Seriously, you are being amazingly gross and unhygienic, not only for yourself but you are loving the groundwater for everyone near you. Stop it.

Remember how there were all those diseases in cities in the middle ages? We figured out how to stop that by not putting raw sewage above ground.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Jesus Christ. Goons shouldn’t be allowed to own houses.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

would you describe your tub as containing a "fecal lasagna"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I bet you have a very green lawn

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hey Shroomie, where do you live so I can avoid the area?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I don’t want to dog pile, but when it said “Florida” in their profile… that checks out.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Motronic posted:

This is a distinction without a difference. Seriously, you are being amazingly gross and unhygienic, not only for yourself but you are loving the groundwater for everyone near you. Stop it.

Remember how there were all those diseases in cities in the middle ages? We figured out how to stop that by not putting raw sewage above ground.

I don't know how much y'all are making GBS threads that a little bit of overflow is sullying the groundwater for your town. I guess if you live on the goon diet of Taco Bell and Mt Dew that might be the case.

I'm just doing what the dude told me to do last time while I wait for them to come in a couple days.

Options are kind of limited here given that I along with half of the state have COVID right now.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

House Ownership Thread: Remember how there were all those diseases in cities in the middle ages?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Holy lmao I thought they were being hyperbolic about literal turds floating in the garden. You should not do that at all, ever, jeebus.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So, our kitten is being an absolute menace, I mean more so than usual. She's been rampaging around the house looking for new tall places to achieve and new things that haven't been played with that were on the tall places. Yesterday she figured out how to get up on the fireplace mantel and start chomping on a (poisonous) bouquet of lilies that had been put up there. I moved them to a very tall pot rack above the sink, which so far she's been unable to reach.

Today she found what my husband referred to as "a white thimble" that he'd put on the mantel to keep away from her.

Reader, it was a knob. From knob-and-tube wiring, which this house has. We had extensive electrical work, including replacing a subpanel, done a month ago, and I'm praying this knob is from that. Praying a lot.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Motronic posted:

Not to mention illegal. If the municipal/state DEP finds out, and they are allowed to inspect your property, you're in for a world of hurt. Fines, cleanup fees, and they could prevent you from occupying your house until it's fixed and inspected.

Lol that anyone thinks it's okay to have human poop in their garden. Even Grover wasn't that much of a scum bag.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Sorry to distract from the hilarious biohazard chat, but I do need some help.

Yesterday during very light rain there was water coming in from the top of a window. It’s definitely not a gutter failure because it’s not under the roof slope, and because it was like drizzling.

I peeked from a second story window and it looks like this gap is large, and whatever adhesive is there may have failed. Not excited about every time it rains a little bit having my window frame become wet and quickly ruined.

How can I fix this?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Sorry to distract from the hilarious biohazard chat, but I do need some help.

Yesterday during very light rain there was water coming in from the top of a window. It’s definitely not a gutter failure because it’s not under the roof slope, and because it was like drizzling.

I peeked from a second story window and it looks like this gap is large, and whatever adhesive is there may have failed. Not excited about every time it rains a little bit having my window frame become wet and quickly ruined.

How can I fix this?

I’m not familiar with all window installation techniques, but my houses in Texas, with cement fiber siding have always had flashing (z shaped piece of metal) installed on the top of them. It goes under the siding and then over the edge of the window.

Like this

https://www.finehomebuilding.com/list/window-and-door-flashing-guide

Is that vinyl siding you have? I’m not familiar with that so maybe window installation is different, I’m not sure why it would be though.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
levolor blinds suck rear end don’t buy that garbage

that is all

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Upgrade posted:

What’s a typical cost to switch from a gas tank to gas tankless?

From what I've been able to gather, :iiam: depending on your location, existing setup, any changes needed, any additional replumbing needed, etc.

We're in Seattle and have had two estimates to go from electric tank to gas tankless and vent through the wall in the $7000 range. This includes some pipe replacement as well. We were supposed to have one more estimate last week but Seattle had another snowmaggedon and the city shut down so that's postponed.

Interesting note, every place we've called, the first thing they ask is "Gas or electric? Gas? Okay. We don't do electric tankless."

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

hobbez posted:

levolor blinds suck rear end don’t buy that garbage

that is all

Thanks. You're about a week too late. I just installed mine last week. What's your issue with them?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

skipdogg posted:

I’m not familiar with all window installation techniques, but my houses in Texas, with cement fiber siding have always had flashing (z shaped piece of metal) installed on the top of them. It goes under the siding and then over the edge of the window.

Like this

https://www.finehomebuilding.com/list/window-and-door-flashing-guide

Is that vinyl siding you have? I’m not familiar with that so maybe window installation is different, I’m not sure why it would be though.

Yep, that's what should be there, even with vinyl siding. But it's very often not installed.

It should be possible to go back and do that, especially with vinyl siding. Or the gap can be filled up with caulk again like the original installers did. That window doesn't look quite flat/straight, so it was probably bent during transport or installation making this issue even worse, but I'd guess the caulk on every other window in the place is in similar shape/ready to fail soon.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
For a 5 unit it wouldn't surprise me if you need 4 tankless units to guarantee you don't run out of hot water. Unlike a tank it's very binary for tankless. You have to multiply out the number of bathrooms plus other things that use hot water less frequently like washing machines, compare it to the coldest inlet water temperature, then run some numbers to see if it works out. If it doesn't then everyone takes cold showers when someone runs a hot load of laundry on your coldest days. I would just add a third tank if you're running out.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Motronic posted:

Yep, that's what should be there, even with vinyl siding. But it's very often not installed.

It should be possible to go back and do that, especially with vinyl siding. Or the gap can be filled up with caulk again like the original installers did. That window doesn't look quite flat/straight, so it was probably bent during transport or installation making this issue even worse, but I'd guess the caulk on every other window in the place is in similar shape/ready to fail soon.

Thanks.

I still don't have a ladder so this will be a good excuse.

I'll probably just caulk it and check all the other windows if I can.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

StormDrain posted:

Fun update:

The mounting plate was held on with one Phillips and one Slotted screw. Please note that this is a tip off that what's in the box isn't going to be right.

There's a red and a black wire in there, which looks to be part of a 14/3 which gives two circuits to this box to go feed the NE and NW Bedrooms. So there is two problems. One the box is full. Second, the red wire of the alarm was tied to a constant hot, which probably shortened it's life. 2-B though, that wire slipped right out of the wirenut so I don't even know if it was connected or not, or it became connected when I changed the battery. Or it became disconnected and had been cooking for a while? Who knows... At least the replacement can be wired up easily.

I think I'll just blank it off instead and put a battery operated one on the nearby wall.

Minor update for nobody, but I added a box in the attic to break this up. I had 5 cables going into that box and it was over full. I now have one with four and one with three, since I had to connect them somehow, but both boxes have room to breathe now.

Now here's where I think I learned something. First that the attic fan was added in later and pulled off this box, but I already knew that. The surprise was a cable running from the overstuffed box to the switch wasn't the switch I thought. Despite going through the same hole in the top plate as the cable for the light, it's for the bedroom. And it's loose. And it goes through a hole in the box that some electrician just blazed through the back. Good to know sparkies in the late 70s did the same poo poo.

Ya it's not that exciting but I already wrote it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I like those kind of boring updates. :toot: