Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

it's a different timeline than the original. You can tell because Stamp is different in the OG FF7R ending

But whyyyyy? Is the next part gonna be playing the alternate timeline which is different then the current timeline and the original timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Just a reminder that all of FF7R is non-canon because canonically cloud is my husband.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

jokes posted:

Just a reminder that all of FF7R is non-canon because canonically cloud is my husband.

You keep your filthy hands of my drag superstar husband

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yours? Lol? Where do you think he learned his moves?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

jokes posted:

Yours? Lol? Where do you think he learned his moves?

...anyway I look forward to the next part of the remake but the overall plot sounds like it's gonna be a mess. Combat will still be great though

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kind of a random thought I had while watching people blind play FFVII and VIII

Is VII the last game with pincer attacks? I'm pretty sure it is. The Trigger Command in the squid boss in FFX doesn't count. I'm just not sure why they removed it in VIII and IX at least. It was kinda cool how you or the enemy could start with that advantage. It at least would have worked in IX since it also has front and back rows.

I also miss front and back rows, although it's not actually in any of my favorite turn-based systems like SMT or Chrono Cross.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I also miss front and back rows, although it's not actually in any of my favorite turn-based systems like SMT or Chrono Cross.

Like half of em do my dude

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Golden Goat posted:

Also I don't understand the Zack stuff is he time warped to when the crew leaves midgar? if so why? is he in a different timeline?

Without putting too much thought into it I kinda thought they were doing a bit of Silent Hill movie ending things with them both being in the same time but different dimensions/realities.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Good thread to ask - in the latest ff14 expansion the baldesion annex has a song that is a remix of FF5 music - what is it called and when does it play it’s driving me crazy

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Lenna's theme

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Good thread to ask - in the latest ff14 expansion the baldesion annex has a song that is a remix of FF5 music - what is it called and when does it play it’s driving me crazy

IT's Lenna's theme.

Or do you mean the FF14 song because that's just called "The Baldesion Annex"

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 2, 2022

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Kind of a random thought I had while watching people blind play FFVII and VIII

Is VII the last game with pincer attacks? I'm pretty sure it is. The Trigger Command in the squid boss in FFX doesn't count. I'm just not sure why they removed it in VIII and IX at least. It was kinda cool how you or the enemy could start with that advantage. It at least would have worked in IX since it also has front and back rows.

Pretty sure VI was the only other game that had them in the first place; it wasn't like a series staple or anything.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1478185064076873733
What if FFT, but every round took 45 minutes?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Something looks out of place in that picture.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Finally an accurate D&D video game

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Something looks out of place in that picture.

The Xenogears and Front Mission crossover stuff wasn't added until the PS5 remake, which I probably shouldn't be talking about.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So I just got a PS5 and apparently the demo for Stranger in Paradise is no longer available? That's some bullshit. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
https://twitter.com/IncorrectFFQTS/status/1477394336547495937

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
Should I get Bravely Default 2 on the Switch or Steam? Just wondering if there's a massive modding community or something.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lady Radia posted:

Should I get Bravely Default 2 on the Switch or Steam? Just wondering if there's a massive modding community or something.

From a quick glance there's no category set up on Nexusmods yet and everything is being done in a Discord because ugh.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

The game really chugs on Switch so if you have the option I'd say PC just for the snappier menus and no loading times, 60fps and higher resolutions is just a cherry on top

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

kirbysuperstar posted:

From a quick glance there's no category set up on Nexusmods yet and everything is being done in a Discord because ugh.

Really can't wait until we move on to the next thing for game info. Everything silo'd in a million discords SUCKS and I wish I understood how we even got here

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Elephant Ambush posted:

So I just got a PS5 and apparently the demo for Stranger in Paradise is no longer available? That's some bullshit. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

It's okay. You'll be able to kill Chaos for real in a couple of months.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Wife saw me playing FF12 again on the Switch and asked me if I was "Playing that game with the stripper bunny again?"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

Wife saw me playing FF12 again on the Switch and asked me if I was "Playing that game with the stripper bunny again?"

That’s hosed up Viera discrimination, Ashe also looks like a fantasy hooker

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think Ashe would at least have to be on the shortlist for worst character design for that character, it's downright bizarre that they thought that's how they should portray a stern and sober deposed princess and guerilla fighter

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mesadoram posted:

My wife didn’t believe me when I said the character designs were less sexualized in FFXII vs FFX. I don’t think I believe myself any more, either, after playing the HD version for 50 hours or whatever.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

No Dignity posted:

I think Ashe would at least have to be on the shortlist for worst character design for that character, it's downright bizarre that they thought that's how they should portray a stern and sober deposed princess and guerilla fighter

:hmmyes:

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

My wife didn’t believe me when I said the character designs were less sexualized in FFXII vs FFX. I don’t think I believe myself any more, either, after playing the HD version for 50 hours or whatever.

Lulu just likes breathable clothing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

Really can't wait until we move on to the next thing for game info. Everything silo'd in a million discords SUCKS and I wish I understood how we even got here

Its just a reinvented irc so theyll reinvent forums next

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Discord loving sucks. I need more encyclopedic websites that actually have information. I’ve been playing the pathfinder video games and documentation for them on the internet isn’t exactly exhaustive. I imagine there’s some lovely discord out there with hard-to-parse disorganized information that people use.

FF14 has the same problem. There’s a discord, the balance, that has all the information about how to optimize your class or whatever. I’ll never go to it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

jokes posted:

FF14 has the same problem. There’s a discord, the balance, that has all the information about how to optimize your class or whatever. I’ll never go to it.

the balance sucks rear end anyway and is (was?) run by a guy who called himself Fuhrer Sky for entirely too long

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

kirbysuperstar posted:

the balance sucks rear end anyway and is (was?) run by a guy who called himself Fuhrer Sky for entirely too long
:yikes:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sounds like he’s the “fuhrer’s guy” and if he’s a nazi I hope he has a brutal, and short, life.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It also had a rapist among it's staff. I believe he's gone, though?

I still only go in there rarely to see if anything's changed for a Job I play since it's usually the quickest updated with the most accurate text guides, and never look at any of the discussion.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Chaotic Flame posted:

I don't understand why people do this. I can't imagine reading a guide on discord is anything but completely frustrating. Do they make individual channels for what would be pages on a regular wiki?

I went to look up info for a mod on another game and no poo poo there is a notification on the top of the page saying all content was removed and if you want to see it join this discord.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Leal posted:

I don't understand why people do this. I can't imagine reading a guide on discord is anything but completely frustrating. Do they make individual channels for what would be pages on a regular wiki?

I went to look up info for a mod on another game and no poo poo there is a notification on the top of the page saying all content was removed and if you want to see it join this discord.

Of course there's individual channels for everything, and you have to ask permission to join each one. It's pages of pages of servers you cannot actually chat in they're just there to show stuff like a wiki page would.

It's what the kids call Galaxy Brain.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TBH a lot of the problem is that wikis cost money for hosting. Especially if you don't want to go with a lovely host like fandom that just turns you and your users' labor into ad revenue for themselves.

poo poo sucks. The modern internet sucks.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah as a point in its favor Discord is basically free to use and maintain. Naturally everyone just started to hammer everything to fit within it even if clearly better options were available.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

The guides there are useful but yeah every single channel that has people actually talking in it is the pits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

For a brief moment fighting games were heading in that direction; I was part of like 3 separate discords because there was one room for each character plus the main game itself, all split into subchannels. There were messages pinned in various channels, usually linking to Youtube videos or Twitter messages, Google Docs or Evernote, so it was worse than the info all being hard to look up, it was also spread into a million formats that may or may not be there later. It was awful and I'm glad wikis became the standard again. I can only assume it became that way because wikis do require someone to cough up money for hosting and a bit of actual organization.

Just to make this post about Final Fantasy, all this talk about FFT is making me want to get my hands on a copy and play it again. Is there a good guide on how to break the game, as people were discussing? I played it once back in high school and pretty sure I just grinded XP/JP in random battles by bonking my own guys, but with no real focus or direction.

Celebrity Ghost fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 5, 2022