Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

My mind was blown when a student worker looked at a clock, pulled out his phone to check the time for me, and explained "I'm not good at reading circle time."
He probably can't write in cursive or ride a horse either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

You may know the numbers, but you may not know what 12:00 is in Lebanese :shrug: You may also not know how to convey "in 3 hours" in the local language.

how does an analog clock help with this?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I miss road atlases and physical maps but understand why the fell to gps.

I still miss them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
time truly is a flat circle

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

My mind was blown when a student worker looked at a clock, pulled out his phone to check the time for me, and explained "I'm not good at reading circle time."

lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

no way

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

carry on then posted:

how does an analog clock help with this?

lets you use a physical tool (the clock face) as a substitute for a shared language, while discussing a complex concept, the passage of time. as an example if im back packing in cambodia and want to know how long its going to take me to get to the next town and i come across a chinese backpacker. i can draw a circle and some clock hands and he will immediately understand the concept im trying to convey. then he could shade in the approximate amount of time he's been hiking and ill know about how long i have to go. or he could show me when the next train will arrive by drawing the hands on the clock, etc etc.

the key is analog time is independent of language and more symbol based. there are tons of other conveniences "circle time" has over digital. Lack of visual ambiguity for one i.e. reading a "fuzzy" analog clock vs a digital one.

yes you can obviously just pull out your cellphone. this isnt a luddite post, just saying there are advantages to analog time reading, and unlike learning to write cursive, the skill is very easy to master.

mystes
May 31, 2006

lets you use a physical tool (the clock face) as a substitute for a shared language, while discussing a complex concept, the passage of time. as an example if im back packing in cambodia and want to know how long its going to take me to get to the next town and i come across a chinese backpacker. i can draw a circle and some clock hands and he will immediately understand the concept im trying to convey. then he could shade in the approximate amount of time he's been hiking and ill know about how long i have to go. or he could show me when the next train will arrive by drawing the hands on the clock, etc etc.

the key is analog time is independent of language and more symbol based. there are tons of other conveniences "circle time" has over digital. Lack of visual ambiguity for one i.e. reading a "fuzzy" analog clock vs a digital one.

yes you can obviously just pull out your cellphone. this isnt a luddite post, just saying there are advantages to analog time reading, and unlike learning to write cursive, the skill is very easy to master.
You could also draw a digital clock you know

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

RFC2324 posted:

is there anywhere that doesn't use arabic numerals?

iran and afghanistan use persian numerals

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

or you can point at your wrist and shrug and they will just use regular numbers to write down how long, cuz everywhere uses arabic numerals even if they have localized characters too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
but you would miss out on possibly the worst game of charades ever with a cambodian backpacker

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
e: nm unix time is good enough for every situation.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 3, 2022

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

reading a clock is easy (especially if you only deal with AM/PM rather than 24h) and while I get someone never encountering it before, being an adult who doesn’t understand it or never even attempts to look it up baffles me.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol at shading in wedges on a clock

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Achmed Jones posted:

so uh, what's the words for "minutes, or hours" in this language? cuz they shaded in a clock and i have no idea if we have 15 minutes or 3 hours till the bomb detonates

mystes
May 31, 2006

How do you even community with people in other countries about directions if they use gps rather than astrolabes?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MononcQc posted:

reading a clock is easy (especially if you only deal with AM/PM rather than 24h) and while I get someone never encountering it before, being an adult who doesn’t understand it or never even attempts to look it up baffles me.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

ZeusCannon posted:

I miss road atlases and physical maps but understand why the fell to gps.

I still miss them.
Usually the first rest stop / welcome center when you cross into another state on an Interstate highway will have maps.

And also a rack of pamphlets for stuff like "see the world's largest bucket of gravel!"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Achmed Jones posted:

I mean they don't "shade it" like an elementary school exercise, but they do indicate the wedge innately with the understood starting point and the ending point. You do the same when you say something is a 15minute drive away. Surely you understand time as a period with a designated endpoint right?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
e: nope nevermind

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

also you can use an analog watch as an emergency compass if it’s sunny https://www.wikihow.com/Use-an-Analog-Watch-as-a-Compass

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

time is a flat circle after all

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Surely you understand time as a period with a designated endpoint right?

no i don't understand please explain

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Last Chance posted:

time is a flat circle after all

teachers educate you stupid and are ignorant to natures harmonic simultaneous 4-day time cube

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Achmed Jones posted:

no i don't understand please explain

Ah. Well we have less common ground then a chinese backpacker on a cambodian trail. Hopefully you never wander off too far from a wifi signal.

However it has been approximately
code:
time(1641177741 - 1577836800)
since the new year. Maybe that will help?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

just draw 3 ticks then 20 ticks. probably enough to assume they don't mean 3m20h like some loving crazy person

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

just use a binary clock like everyone *points to defunct thinkgeek clock on every engineer's paltry cubical wall*

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

flakeloaf posted:

iran and afghanistan use persian numerals

ok, these are neat and I kinda wish they had caught on.

also

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I mean they don't "shade it" like an elementary school exercise, but they do indicate the wedge innately with the understood starting point and the ending point. You do the same when you say something is a 15minute drive away. Surely you understand time as a period with a designated endpoint right?

i'm sure the scenario will always play out exactly as you imagine and not at all end up as two people staring at each other in complete confusion

mystes
May 31, 2006

Agile Vector posted:

just use a binary clock like everyone *points to defunct thinkgeek clock on every engineer's paltry cubical wall*
Just draw a picture of the solar system indicating the correct time of day at your current location, that's universal

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
eunuch's time

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sniep posted:

teachers educate you stupid and are ignorant to natures harmonic simultaneous 4-day time cube

we defined time wrong, as a joke

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
the technology connections youtube guy has a video talking about analog vs digital clocks. analog ones have the nice property of being visual progress bars. 🕠 is faster to parse (for some) than 17:28:43

e: i hope microsoft exchange will store the timestamp as emoji rather than int32 in the future

NFX fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 3, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Was going to post the 57 hour (or however long) clock from The Battle Of The Bulge movie but I cannot find a single reference to it and it is killing me

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

some galaxy brain got a bunch of clocks for our office ten years ago and for some reason half of them are these and half are normal. no rhyme or reason what clock goes where so it's a bit of a pause to determine what hour it is when i look up in a conference room.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

NFX posted:

the technology connections youtube guy has a video talking about analog vs digital clocks. analog ones have the nice property of being visual progress bars. 🕠 is faster to parse (for some) than 17:28:43

e: i hope microsoft exchange will store the timestamp as emoji rather than int32 in the future

lollin at the idea of combining time with zero-width joiners

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fisting by many posted:

lollin at the idea of combining time with zero-width joiners

oh my god

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

NFX posted:

mods namechange to intj32

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

my irssi is still configured to show timestamps in epoch because while being bored out of my skull while receiving chemo and radiation therapy for cancer (because the hospital wifi was so lovely i could barely manage a ssh connection to my server) i wanted to teach myself how to read them and still haven't switched back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Midjack posted:

some galaxy brain got a bunch of clocks for our office ten years ago and for some reason half of them are these and half are normal. no rhyme or reason what clock goes where so it's a bit of a pause to determine what hour it is when i look up in a conference room.

friend got me one of these as a gift, its hanging up in my bathroom, its great: https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-105d