Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’ve been trying to slowly give myself a great books education too. It’s fun.

If you get burned out in Iliad, I recommend taking a break to read The Song of Achilles and play Hades.

Epic of Gilgamesh is another good early book, and short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I sympathise with the idea of "a great books education", but the problem is that the list of big important books is so long that you have to be very picky, or you burn yourself out right away with too many classical epics and you never actually get around to the stuff you would enjoy. like idk if you would "teach yourself music" by first listening to 100 hours of Bach

Modulo16 posted:

Anything specific to start?

I feel like they probably meant Goethe's Faust and not the krautrock band but in the latter case it's the debut > So Far > Faust Tapes > the frankly overrated Faust IV

Ras Het fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 1, 2022

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Read Dante

(Also Blinding)

But yeah like others have said, great literature is fuckin great, but not everything will hit the same for everyone. if you're starting with the really old stuff and find it dry, get some suggestions for something more current before you give up on everything

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

derp posted:

Read Dante

(Also Blinding)

But yeah like others have said, great literature is fuckin great, but not everything will hit the same for everyone. if you're starting with the really old stuff and find it dry, get some suggestions for something more current before you give up on everything

I have the translation of Dante's Inferno. I plan to read that after the Old Testament.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Ras Het posted:

I feel like they probably meant Goethe's Faust and not the krautrock band but in the latter case it's the debut > So Far > Faust Tapes > the frankly overrated Faust IV
What about Marlowe's?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I feel like half my posts in the Book Barn are just recommending the same book, but I'll say it again: Willa Cather's Death Comes for the Archbishop is a really good "start reading literature" book. It's fairly short, with lovely lucid prose, and not hugely challenging but still a very rewarding read.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

hi thread! I have been on a roll lately, reading more in December than for every other month of the year put together, and I plan to keep that up.

The Name of the Rose (audiobook version) was enthralling, and a lovely companion during weeks of gardening. I'm listening to A Hundred Years of Solitude now, which I haven't read since a partial high school attempt I think. It's not a bad rendition of it, the author does put his whole heart into it when pronouncing character's names in a way I find endlessly attention-grabbing, but I am considering just reading it instead. I'm on chapter 6 and my memory of the first read is not so great that I can recite my Aurelianos by heart.

Oh, and I read Love in the Time of Cholera too. I loved it so much I think I'll make a painting of it some day. After this I think I'll pick up Borges. Any other recommendations for books that are not afraid to get weird with it/romanticize men's powerful pissing and other endeavors? I don't mind tracking down French/Spanish versions of things either

For the record I think Murakami is the Moleskine of authors.

edit: oh and because no doubt this will be interesting to some: poetryfoundation.org has archives dating preeeeetty far back. I have been having fun just looking through their stuff before going to sleep. not a bad way to get into poetry!

Ramie fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 2, 2022

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

catgirlgenius posted:

Any other recommendations for books that are not afraid to get weird with it/romanticize men's powerful pissing and other endeavors? I don't mind tracking down French/Spanish versions of things either

my friend you need to read bataille's story of the eye

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

catgirlgenius posted:

Oh, and I read Love in the Time of Cholera too. I loved it so much I think I'll make a painting of it some day. After this I think I'll pick up Borges. Any other recommendations for books that are not afraid to get weird with it/romanticize men's powerful pissing and other endeavors? I don't mind tracking down French/Spanish versions of things either

terra nostra by carlos fuentes

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
rabelais, the tain

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

thehoodie posted:

terra nostra by carlos fuentes

Yesssss

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Antivehicular posted:

I feel like half my posts in the Book Barn are just recommending the same book, but I'll say it again: Willa Cather's Death Comes for the Archbishop is a really good "start reading literature" book. It's fairly short, with lovely lucid prose, and not hugely challenging but still a very rewarding read.

I want to second this. It's a beautiful novel with a wide emotional range and an interesting perspective on an often overlooked period in American history.

E: for more content, I'll also add a suggestion to read some Steinbeck, specifically East of Eden or The Grapes of Wrath. Steinbeck is another great source of relatively easy yet still beautiful and rewarding prose.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

in the vein of steinbeck i also very much enjoy camus' novels which are generally pretty straightforward and enjoyable without being stupid

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

PeterWeller posted:

I want to second this. It's a beautiful novel with a wide emotional range and an interesting perspective on an often overlooked period in American history.

E: for more content, I'll also add a suggestion to read some Steinbeck, specifically East of Eden or The Grapes of Wrath. Steinbeck is another great source of relatively easy yet still beautiful and rewarding prose.

his short novels are good too

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

V. Illych L. posted:

in the vein of steinbeck i also very much enjoy camus' novels which are generally pretty straightforward and enjoyable without being stupid

I had a hard time with The Fall because it's in second person and for some reason it was just difficult to stay into it

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

rabelais, the tain

iirc in the tain it's a woman's powerful pissing

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Modulo16 posted:

Hi thread,

I have decided to stop reading genre-fiction in an attempt to enrich myself with proper literature. I'm going to start with the Illiad, and move to: "The Odyssey ". If there are books I cannot miss, feel free to quote me. Other wise I will post back after completion. It's time to take a break from 40k, Star-Wars, Witcher, etc. New year new me, or some other such bullshit.

Read Catch-22 or a Confederacy of Dunces.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

A human heart posted:

iirc in the tain it's a woman's powerful pissing

last time we came up i believe we determined that it was both piss and menses

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Tree Goat posted:

his short novels are good too

Agreed. Pretty much everything he's done is worth picking up.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

PeterWeller posted:

Agreed. Pretty much everything he's done is worth picking up.

the werewolf novel is mediocre, unfortunately

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Tree Goat posted:

the werewolf novel is mediocre, unfortunately

I thought that was unavailable.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

PeterWeller posted:

I thought that was unavailable.
it's just in the archives, so unavailable in that you have to fill out a form and have some pretense of being a researcher to get your hands on it.

i reviewed it pseudonymously here

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

FunkyAl posted:

Read Catch-22 or a Confederacy of Dunces.

Yeah this is your way in, perhaps also Charles Portis. Have fun with it.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Heath posted:

I had a hard time with The Fall because it's in second person and for some reason it was just difficult to stay into it

i liked it up until the point that the narrator straight-up tells the countryman "btw i am an unreliable narrator"

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

I really wish I had read east of Eden in high school or maybe college. I needed to hear timshel as a young man.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Several years ago this thread recommended I start with Coetzee when I wanted to get into reading real literature, and I think it was a great suggestion. Waiting for the Barbarians wouldn't be a bad choice, by any means.

My entire reading backlist pretty much consists of books I've found by lurking in this thread and slowly reading it in its entirety, so that would be my second recommendation. You won't find many outright bad books recommended more than once, and the posters' discussions will definitely help you figure out what you're interested in reading.

Currently I'm on Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead and I'm only halfway through but I'm enjoying it! In a week I'm going to start a simultaneous read of A Time to Every Purpose Under Heaven with a friend and it's the first Knausgaard for both of us. Both of these books I also acquired via osmosis from this thread!

On that note, I live in Uruguay and have been trying to get more into Latin American lit recently. To this end, I've been trying to track down some Brazilian authors in Spanish because I figured it would be preferable to reading them in English. I thought that, being so close geographically, it would be easy to find any reasonably popular author. Turns out that a lot of bookstores have everything Clarice Lispector ever wrote, but João Ubaldo Ribeiro has been a bitch to track down. I did meet a guy at a bookstore who lived (also working in a bookstore) on Itaparica for several years and had a few funny anecdotes related to my search and told me he would make every effort to track down An Invincible Memory for me because he read it and wished Ribeiro were more popular in the Spanish-speaking world.

Seeing that Galeano is generally adored in this thread was also very fun!

Tosk fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 3, 2022

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Read strugatsky bros' 'One billion years to the end of the world', beautiful book, and short

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Proust Malone posted:

I really wish I had read east of Eden in high school or maybe college. I needed to hear timshel as a young man.

I read it my senior year of highschool but I can't say it made much of an impression. It's one of those messages that doesn't really resonate until you've already gotten past the point where it would be useful I think.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Not fiction, but I started David Levering Lewis' biography of W. E. B. Du Bois 1919 - 1963.

Related to how USA history education is generally bad, every time I crack a book about US history I add a few digits to the "how bad is it really?" meter. Stuff I didn't know about happening practically in my back yard. Also, reading 1900's white critiques of Du Bois, the NAACP, or really any substantive progress at all, might as well be the 2022 propaganda being stumped across the US.

Planning to start Nabokov's Speak, Memory for after Du Bois' bio, but may start before because it's such a tome.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Read and really enjoyed the very short Love by Hanne Ørstavik. I'm a sucker for sentimentalism though.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

My local bookstore came through for me! Looking forward to getting to this one or two books down the line.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Tosk posted:

My local bookstore came through for me! Looking forward to getting to this one or two books down the line.

ribeiro is cool

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sorcerer's apprentice was loving Goethe? The gently caress man, I woulda never guessed

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Goethe also has the rad poem Erlkönig (the elf king)

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
A friend recommended that I give Murikami a shot and recommended Norwegian Wood to me. Overall, I felt it was a decent coming of age novel. But for a book about music it's curiously reliant on references rather than description, there's a long list of songs and musicians but little about how it means to play and listen to music. This is compounded by Murikami's difficulty in writing music well. Overall it gave the effect of creating a recommended soundtrack and supplemental reading list which was somewhat jarring and, I think, reflective of a lack of craft.

I have trouble making judgement on the prose because while at worst rough, the spare sentences did give a suitable melancholic/detached affect and the book did flow well. And while it's always tricky making judgement on a translation (I read the Rubin translation, don't know if there's others), the American style slang used was jarring at times and I'm curious what the Japanese prose intended.

When I was in my late teens I read a few Tom Robbins (like Jitterbug Perfume) and I'm kind of struck by the similarities in mood and horniness. Both authors probably have the horniness dial set roughly equivalently, but that one author has the mood dial turned to melancholy and the other has it turned all the way to joie de vivre.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hwæt, someone has invoked murakami in this thread again!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

im considering reading some real literature: are the megami tensei books from the 80s any good?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

im considering reading some real literature: are the megami tensei books from the 80s any good?

read and post through the experience

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

i never realised those games came from a book series, that's funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I’m reading Clarice Lispector’s ‘An Apprenticeship or the Book of Pleasures’, which is very good but it’s a lot internal dialogue of someone experiencing a full collapse so can be tricky to read if I am not fully focused.