Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FISHMANPET posted:

I have a $365 charge on my credit card and a table saw in my car

Staff said they'd done four of them for pickup today but couldn't figure out why they were so popular.

Congratulations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Was that the floor model or did you have to take it out of the box for it to fit?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I had to take it out of the box, it's like 24 inches by 31, which is too big to slide into my tiny hatchback.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I'm standing waiting for them to bring mine out. The woman who was pulling up my online order said someone tried to buy 4 on a credit card that didn't match their name.

Edit: Success!

Getting it out of my car to my shop will be interesting.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 1, 2022

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Y'all are making me want a saw I don't need

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I mean, it's not a huge upgrade from my DeWalt job site saw, right?

Right?

I probably wouldn't like the fence as much as I like dewalt's rack and pinion system...

I really don't wanna buy that saw. I don't need it.

I wanna buy that saw.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Ive got that same saw/stand lol. I can't get the trick to work for me so its all for the better

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rufio posted:

Ive got that same saw/stand lol. I can't get the trick to work for me so its all for the better

lol

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
My Ridgid job site saw is a pain to keep adjusted and the fence is awful. If i had the DeWalt it would have been harder to justify.

Edit: Last time the deal came up I told myself I didn't need it, and then the next day went outside and was almost immediately incredibly frustrated with my saw.

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 1, 2022

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I’m so happy y’all are getting these cheap saws.
I don’t have the room for it myself yet but someday I will.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It's a great saw and a great deal.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

SpartanIvy posted:

Thinking my favorite tool of 2021 was probably my Knipex wire strippers/electrical pliers. They're just so much better than every other Klien or whatever other brand I've used.

Which pliers did you get, precisely? I switched a 1-gang box to 2-gang today and realized my only wire strippers were a super-janky pair I got from AutoZone when I was swapping car speakers. I think I bruised my palm trying to cut 14/2 wire.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Also curious. I have the cheapest and shittiest ones imaginable and hate using them every time a project comes up requiring it.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

Not OP but I am an electrician. I recommend the Milwaukee combo strippers/needle nose pliers. It looks like they are very similar to the Knipex for less cost.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
These are the Knipex ones I love.

KNIPEX Tools 13-71-8 Forged Wire Strippers, 8" - Plastic Grip
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L897NYT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They also make them with a comfort grip handle but I prefer the slimmer grip personally.

The cutter glides through romex like butter, the strippers strip perfect every time, the pliers are just the right width to where you can get a good twist with them but also get them into small areas. (I still carry my needle nose pliers and volt claw though)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Buy knipex from kctool mostly to give a small company your cash moneys. Excellent customer service too.

Also seems to be cheaper.

deimos fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 2, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I need to replace the floor in my living/dining room. Much like the cheap rear end brand X dairy "sour cream product" this poo poo is some sort of "hardwood product". Cheap rear end laminate most likely.

I'm still debating on DIYing it or paying someone to do it. Motivation is the key factor here as I'm a lazy pile of poo poo, but maybe to save money I'll do it myself, and save some of the money for painting, which I also want to do.

Plus that gives me an excuse to buy some neat tools that I'll only use once, but can then brag to my friends about my quadruple bevel sliding, rotating compound wood sodomizer 5000 saw.

So what are some basic tools I should have for removal of my "hardwood product" and replacement of said product with something of equal or slightly better quality?

Speaking of that, I've been kinda looking at "Vinyl hardwood" is that stuff any good? I want something that looks good, but also am concerned with durability and ease of maintenance.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

wesleywillis posted:

I need to replace the floor in my living/dining room. Much like the cheap rear end brand X dairy "sour cream product" this poo poo is some sort of "hardwood product". Cheap rear end laminate most likely.

I'm still debating on DIYing it or paying someone to do it. Motivation is the key factor here as I'm a lazy pile of poo poo, but maybe to save money I'll do it myself, and save some of the money for painting, which I also want to do.

Plus that gives me an excuse to buy some neat tools that I'll only use once, but can then brag to my friends about my quadruple bevel sliding, rotating compound wood sodomizer 5000 saw.

So what are some basic tools I should have for removal of my "hardwood product" and replacement of said product with something of equal or slightly better quality?

Speaking of that, I've been kinda looking at "Vinyl hardwood" is that stuff any good? I want something that looks good, but also am concerned with durability and ease of maintenance.

Pry bar. Hammer. Beers.

Also, we have the ~luxury~ vinyl in our kitchen and bathroom and it looks pretty good and even with a three year old and moving in new appliances and poo poo we haven't managed to damage it.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

I recently floored my whole first floor with “Lifeproof” brand luxury vinyl hardwood that clicks together. Wasn’t cheap but was easy to work with and looks great. Nice pad attached underneath as well so you don’t need to worry about underlayment. I used a miter saw to cut the planks, altho it’s a bit overkill it certainly helped with keeping my cuts straight. I needed a jigsaw for cutting odd shaped pieces. I also used a multi tool to cut some door trim but I had to do a whole hallway so not sure how much trim you will be encountering.

The floor I was replacing was barely hanging on so removal was easy but I’m sure a prybar and a hammer will do the trick. My subfloor was in bad shape so I had to do some repairs there so hopefully your situation is better.

My advice is to make sure you measure out the room and plan ahead so you don’t end up doing what I did and had to cut some super thin pieces once I reached the last wall.

Also make sure you get a kit like this for installation. Will help getting all the planks nice and flush.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 2, 2022

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
What are some must have accessories I should be looking for as a new table saw owner? To start I'm thinking a push block, feather board, and a digital angle gauge (to measure the angle of the blade). I'm also going to pick up a Diablo dado set. Is there anything else that's a real must-have to start with, or should I use a bit to figure out what tools/accessories might be useful for me? I'm sure a crosscut sled or two will be in my future at some point...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

WeaponX posted:

I recently floored my whole first floor with “Lifeproof” brand luxury vinyl hardwood that clicks together. Wasn’t cheap but was easy to work with and looks great.

I've used this a few times now, and if it's the same product as it was 2-3 years ago it's nice stuff that's been holding up really well. So much better than the injet printed woodgrain sawdust that used to be all you could get for floating floors.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

What are some must have accessories I should be looking for as a new table saw owner? To start I'm thinking a push block, feather board, and a digital angle gauge (to measure the angle of the blade). I'm also going to pick up a Diablo dado set. Is there anything else that's a real must-have to start with, or should I use a bit to figure out what tools/accessories might be useful for me? I'm sure a crosscut sled or two will be in my future at some point...

The grrripper is real good and a solid recommendation I've rand over. It's worth it's asking price.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I kinda disagree about the gripper, I have it and more often reach for my home made shoe shaped push stick.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

My father in law picked up the delta saw deal. Hopefully it is an upgrade from his 1960’s craftsman. I expect it will be much noisier!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

ThirstyBuck posted:

My father in law picked up the delta saw deal. Hopefully it is an upgrade from his 1960’s craftsman. I expect it will be much noisier!

Not sure about the craftsman, but the delta saw is quite quiet. I try to turn it on before my shop vac, because with ear protection on I can't hear the saw over the shop vac.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

Anyone have the M18 air compressor? It's got great reviews and everyone talks about how quiet it is but like....how quiet are we talking here?

I am thinking I want to pick up the compressor and use my current nail guns instead of collecting M18 battery guns because the price of one gun is nearly that of the compressor.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

wesleywillis posted:

Circular saw + speed square for square cuts. A miter saw is maybe easier but you cant cut boards lengthwise with it, plus bigger + more expensive. The laminate cutters you can rent are nice and don't cause dust but cant cut lengthwise so you'd need a circ saw for that anyways.

Some people score the planks and snap them but depending on the product you use it may not work.

If you don't take the trim off first, it can be a pain in the rear end.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Rufio posted:

Anyone have the M18 air compressor? It's got great reviews and everyone talks about how quiet it is but like....how quiet are we talking here?

I am thinking I want to pick up the compressor and use my current nail guns instead of collecting M18 battery guns because the price of one gun is nearly that of the compressor.

The main benefit of a cordless gun IMO is when you just gotta sink a few nails and you don't wanna get the compressor/hose out. Cordless compressor offers little additional utility over corded compressor, to me at least.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Rufio posted:

I do and it rules. It's as quiet as the California Air Tools compressor I have. You can easily talk while they're running. I love that I can take it wherever I need it so I can easily use it to fill car/bike tires out in the driveway or I can use it up in the attic with nailers or for blowing out HVAC lines/crud.

Like you're thinking, I picked it up specifically because I have a bunch of nail guns that I only occasionally use so it made a lot more sense to keep them instead of buying a whole slew of $300 M18 nailers.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

FISHMANPET posted:

Good rip blade, good crosscut blade. The freud/Diablo ones at HD are fine. Incra miter gauge is nice, but the one that came with the saw might be fine too. Otherwise you can make all the other stuff like push sticks, feather boards, etc. I don't really use my digital angle gage much-I'm much more likely to use a bevel gauge to set up an angled cut.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

WeaponX posted:

The floor I was replacing was barely hanging on so removal was easy but I’m sure a prybar and a hammer will do the trick. My subfloor was in bad shape so I had to do some repairs there so hopefully your situation is better.

My advice is to make sure you measure out the room and plan ahead so you don’t end up doing what I did and had to cut some super thin pieces once I reached the last wall.

Thanks for the reply. I live in a Condo so the floor-floor is concrete with the laminate on top of that. When you say subfloor, do you mean the actual plywood and joists etc or is there something between the plywood, and the hardwood, besides whatever foam backing might be directly underneath the laminate?
Also, thats one thing I was wondering about. Does one measure floor width and then buy planks that are such a width that they just naturally fit slightly smaller than the width without having to make long length wise cuts?
Like if the width of a hallway is 80 inches, does one buy planks that are like 7 15/16" wide? Is that how that works?

lil poopendorfer posted:

Circular saw + speed square for square cuts. A miter saw is maybe easier but you cant cut boards lengthwise with it, plus bigger + more expensive. The laminate cutters you can rent are nice and don't cause dust but cant cut lengthwise so you'd need a circ saw for that anyways.

Some people score the planks and snap them but depending on the product you use it may not work.

If you don't take the trim off first, it can be a pain in the rear end.

I've looked up sped squares. The first thing that came up was a Rafter square. Is that pretty much the same poo poo?

Taking the trim off, you mean like baseboards? I want to replace them anyway, so thats not biggie. I think I want to paint my place first, then do the floors so I'd probably take the baseboards off before it gets painted.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Rafter or framing square is the generic term for the trademark speed square. It's like Kleenex vs tissue.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have a level stretch of road outside the house for something like 60-80 feet, and about 2 car's length of driveway in Denver. I tried a snow shovel, and it was fine and good exercise and stuff but I don't want to be doing all of that poo poo regularly when I have other stuff going on (kids, jobs, it's not always a holiday weekend when I have nothing else to do when it snows, etc). So it looks like it really is time to get a snow blower.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

wesleywillis posted:

Thanks for the reply. I live in a Condo so the floor-floor is concrete with the laminate on top of that. When you say subfloor, do you mean the actual plywood and joists etc or is there something between the plywood, and the hardwood, besides whatever foam backing might be directly underneath the laminate?
Also, thats one thing I was wondering about. Does one measure floor width and then buy planks that are such a width that they just naturally fit slightly smaller than the width without having to make long length wise cuts?
Like if the width of a hallway is 80 inches, does one buy planks that are like 7 15/16" wide? Is that how that works?

I've looked up sped squares. The first thing that came up was a Rafter square. Is that pretty much the same poo poo?

Taking the trim off, you mean like baseboards? I want to replace them anyway, so thats not biggie. I think I want to paint my place first, then do the floors so I'd probably take the baseboards off before it gets painted.

You buy whatever flooring you like and cut it to fit. Wider boards are a bit less work, since there's less boards to fit in total. Not a big deal to cut lengthwise, you just clamp a straight edge as a guide. Speaking of which, yes speed square is brand name for rafter square, a 7" long right triangle that you can use as a guide for straight and square cuts like so:

for lengthwise "rip" cuts, just clamp a piece of flooring parallel to your cut like so:

the cut edges will be covered by baseboards so the cuts don't have to be perfect but especially for a beginner the guides help.

The biggest beginner mistake is not allowing a 1/4" gap between flooring and the walls, if it's too tight the floor will buckle as it expands with warmer temperatures. Otherwise it's totally doable and satisfying, especially if you don't have existing baseboards you have to work with.

E: oh yeah and generally always paint last. You'll likely scuff or mark up the walls during the renovations, it's much less stressful to be able to durabond and paint any damage that occurs

lil poopendorfer fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 2, 2022

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wesleywillis posted:

This is the only application I'd recommend one of those lightweight table top table saws (if you've already got one). You'd need something to rip in pieces at the end wall. Miter saw. Speed square fits in your hand, whereas a framing square is 24" x 16" and overly large. The 'floating' engineered stuff we used to put down would go over a thin layer of rolls of flexible foam, I forget the term. If it's a concrete floor, there's no subfloor, that's just all there is. If you owned the place and were inclined to put down real flooring, you'd want to install a subfloor on top of the concrete to nail that to, but I think I read that you rent.
Check out some youtubes.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
When that Delta saw says it's 15 amps, they mean 15 amps. I may not have let it get up to speed for my first cut, but I had it plugged into a 15 amp circuit that also had a couple of LED lights running on it, and I popped the breaker after less than an inch. Plugged into my 20 amp circuit and it worked just fine.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

For laminate or vinyl flooring just rent the guillotine cutter from home depot and borrow a jigsaw for any irregular cuts that you need to do. That guillotine is so ridiculously good and it costs like $20 per day to rent it.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Does anyone know if these hose clamps are any good? I've never seen this brand at Home Depot or Lowes and it seems pricey:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I guess they charge extra for the mirror polish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Trabant posted:

Does anyone know if these hose clamps are any good? I've never seen this brand at Home Depot or Lowes and it seems pricey:

Thought that was a wedding band from the minimized image, lol