Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I can get why, but it's kinda crazy how many series turn into a fighting manga at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Fighting sells and sex sells. If one doesn’t work, try the other

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
negima switched focus to fighting but it was still overall about 50/50 fighting and naked middle school girls and the latter aspect never went away.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You can't 'manga can have little a combat, as a treat' things, people start enjoying and expecting it to continue! Imagine if you were watching The Lion King and Simba does a Shoryuken in the final battle. You can't just sweep that under the rug and assume it won't stick out to people and be a conversation piece.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

I can get why, but it's kinda crazy how many series turn into a fighting manga at some point.

Have you read Bakuman?

It's described there as one of the go-to things for a shonen manga. If whatever you're doing isn't connecting with readers like you'd like, you can still pivot to fights and maybe succeed. Meanwhile, if you can't sell fights, that's it. A pivot is pretty much no longer possible, and the manga's set to go under.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

negima switched focus to fighting but it was still overall about 50/50 fighting and naked middle school girls and the latter aspect never went away.

Can't remember where I read this (or if it's remotely true) but I think the author wanted to do a full on fight manga but editors were like "you are very famous for panty shots, maybe do mostly that first?" And so he did and slowly transitioned to mostly fighting. So it might be unique in that the fighting was always planned, compared to other series' pivots out of wanting to stay serialized?

UQ Holder is straight up horny + fighting at all times though, at least from what I read. Wasn't there a straight up hentai trope lift in the form of "3 panels of the same environment and angle, just characters boning in different parts of it"?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Secretly deep down all authors just want to write another dragonball and I support them when they try to make the transition.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
There any series that started out focused on fighting but instead shifted into something else?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Julias posted:

Does My Hero Academia count? The entire first chapter is about how Deku can be a hero despite not having superpowers, but then in ch 2 it's like "nah jk imma give you my superman powers".

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro is probably a better example of this, where it starts off as a bad murder mystery manga, that about a third of the way in starts shifting into more of a character focused action manga with overarching mystery elements in it.

What the poo poo.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
I would say Fullmetal Alchemist actively fought successfully from becoming a traditional fight manga. Yes it has a lot of fighting but the mechanics of fights are much more muted in favor character interactions and development. I feel I can even point to the fight that was the fork in the road where it could have happened and then didn't.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Vise the Stompy posted:

I would say Fullmetal Alchemist actively fought successfully from becoming a traditional fight manga. Yes it has a lot of fighting but the mechanics of fights are much more muted in favor character interactions and development. I feel I can even point to the fight that was the fork in the road where it could have happened and then didn't.

if we're talking about a series that transitioned from fighting to something else then I don't think fma fits that bill

it was consistent in how it treated combat for the whole run

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Chainsawman transitioned from fighting to being a complete mindfuck

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
CSM got way more combat-heavy in the last 15-20 chapters but there was never a point where i wouldn't call it a "fighting manga"

it's called Chainsaw Man, the title carries certain expectations

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Full Metal Alchemist just didn't fall into the power levels trap, and fights were won by the characters using their brains and not just them endlessly getting stronger.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

CSM got way more combat-heavy in the last 15-20 chapters but there was never a point where i wouldn't call it a "fighting manga"

it's called Chainsaw Man, the title carries certain expectations

Yeah.

Like hamburgers.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Hunter x Hunter starts out as a fighting manga and turns into a novel about the most efficient method of hydrating your breakfast cereal.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

There any series that started out focused on fighting but instead shifted into something else?

Would Vinland Saga count?

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

Manatee Cannon posted:

if we're talking about a series that transitioned from fighting to something else then I don't think fma fits that bill

it was consistent in how it treated combat for the whole run

Since I can't recall a instance where a manga went from fights to no fights for significant part of their run, I figured at the very least it would be interesting to highlight a series that could have gone for easy Shonen fighting narratives and cliches with the tools their author's world building provided but then choose not to.

I made the distinction of traditional fighter for a reason. Alchemy could have had all the trappings of any other power systems, fights could have been more formulaic, characters introduced more frequently with little narrative weight outside fighting. The closet it felt this way was Scar vs the Silver Alchemist. Lets look at the set up and how it played out.

You have a one off character that is arguably mostly memorable trait was their fighting style. During the fight there is a monologue concerning the application of alchemy for fighting. Scar is on the back foot but one pivotal twist gives him the upper hand to win. Don't take this mean I think the fight is bad, its great, but the narrative flow feels more like something out of Naruto or Bleach. Its amazing this is the only time it happens in the series.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Fire Punch maaaaayyybe fits the bill? It does end with a fight, but aside from that there are basically zero fights in the second half of the series.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Secretly deep down all authors just want to write another dragonball and I support them when they try to make the transition.

That's not true.

Many of them want to write JoJos.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah.

Like hamburgers.

And fun family snowball fights.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Can't remember where I read this (or if it's remotely true) but I think the author wanted to do a full on fight manga but editors were like "you are very famous for panty shots, maybe do mostly that first?" And so he did and slowly transitioned to mostly fighting. So it might be unique in that the fighting was always planned, compared to other series' pivots out of wanting to stay serialized?

UQ Holder is straight up horny + fighting at all times though, at least from what I read. Wasn't there a straight up hentai trope lift in the form of "3 panels of the same environment and angle, just characters boning in different parts of it"?

i dropped uq holder when i hit the naked child race because jesus loving christ. apparently later on it got really weird and meta but i'm not willing to check.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I lost track a while back (about the same place, the race took forever ontop of its content issues) but it seems like its in its endgame?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think it actually finished recently? It had a lot of cool ideas and characters/scenes I still remember but yeah count me as another who dropped it about that same point.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It's a shame that the idea of immortals banding together to protect their own and other supernaturals gets sidelined by dealing with holdover stuff from Negima and a really janky romance that has to actually address the fact that one of the principle love interests was already in a previous harem contest with another dude who is now on Mars(?) and also fused with Death, the destroyer of worlds. I second the notion that UQ had lots of neat ideas, but nothing strong holding it together.

My favorite character is the one swordsman who has basic immortality (chinese longevity pill) but hacked his way into being top tier through sheer devotion to the principle art of cutting. So that there isn't anything he can't cut at all.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
negima/UQ holder are the series that confirm all the worst stereotypes about anime/manga fans lol

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lt. Lizard posted:

Would Vinland Saga count?

That's a little different because the point of the series was always going to be Thorfinn becoming a pacifist.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

wow everyone in ranger reject is a lunatic

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i dropped uq holder when i hit the naked child race because jesus loving christ. apparently later on it got really weird and meta but i'm not willing to check.

also same

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The fact that I'm reading the words "naked child race" regarding a Ken Akamatsu manga both doesn't surprise me at all, and makes me glad I dropped before I got to that point.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sakamoto Days spoiler

lol

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Sakamoto Days spoiler

lol

Old man is my favorite character now. nobody comes close to this level of excitement and anticipation.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I hope he gets a spinoff series.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'm not going to risk searching, but I do have to ask...

Naked child race as in species, or as in running?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So apparently Shonen Jump English/Viz isn’t putting out chapter 94 of Ayakashi Triangle but will be putting out 95. Anyone know what happened that Viz elected to go “gently caress this?”

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The forbidden chapter.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

The Black Stones posted:

So apparently Shonen Jump English/Viz isn’t putting out chapter 94 of Ayakashi Triangle but will be putting out 95. Anyone know what happened that Viz elected to go “gently caress this?”

I can think of two reasons

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Posting here because the Black Clover thread is dead.

Black Clover

I'm getting real loving tired of the "We made it, yay!" -> "Oh no! An even stronger enemy has shown up! Whatever shall we do?"

GET ON WITH IT.

At least we got Mereoleona in this chapter so not all is lost, but seriously. Tabata, please. Cease. Desist.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mikl posted:

Black Clover

I'm getting real loving tired of the "We made it, yay!" -> "Oh no! An even stronger enemy has shown up! Whatever shall we do?"

GET ON WITH IT.

At least we got Mereoleona in this chapter so not all is lost, but seriously. Tabata, please. Cease. Desist.

Too be fair this is the first enemy guy that is just straight up stronger then Asta even ignoring magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mikl posted:

Black Clover

GET ON WITH IT.