Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Too stoned to do the research

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Nordick posted:

I feel like you should also check out Havukruunu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUsU9ZH-GR4

(Everyone should, tbh)

Yeah they're pretty good! This also prompted me to check out their latest EP which I didn't realise they'd released. Thyrfing also put out a new album this year which is on my Spotify AOTY list but which I should spend more time with.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't get it bro, what's with the 1488? Is that like 3 times 420? like 666 but 420 420 420. dude that's sick, yeah let's go with this label

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don't get it bro, what's with the 1488? Is that like 3 times 420? like 666 but 420 420 420. dude that's sick, yeah let's go with this label

yo they got a photo of some guy in their office and it says his birthday is 4/20. his name was like adam hider or something

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

4 + 2 - 0 = 6

6 as in SIX SIX SIX

coincidence? I think not.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

lol I love this thread

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

even if this pandemic has been utter poo poo for gigs and whatnot, 2021 has been an absolute massive year for metal all around.

happy new year you ninnies.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
happy new year, here's an extremely cool thing

https://scabhag.bandcamp.com/album/pustulent-perversions

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Man, I've been really cranking hate forest for the holidays, and The Most Ancient Ones is a super good album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrdbAnshirA

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Some time ago, before the world was wreathed in plague, and around maybe when I first stumbled on this thread, someone mentioned this album. It’s so loving good and has become a dark horse favorite of mine over the years.

https://youtu.be/tO4YiudlK0w

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Man, I've been really cranking hate forest for the holidays, and The Most Ancient Ones is a super good album

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Everytime someone posts this image I think of this lol

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So I never got around to giving my "preliminary" AOTY list a better think, so I guess the one I posted earlier is my final top 10 now. :shrug:

However, here's a bunch of honourable mentions just because I was talking about this elsewhere and I still have it in my clipboard:

- Helloween - Helloween
- Flotsam & Jetsam - Blood in the Water
- Jess and the Ancient Ones - Vertigo
- The Bleeding - Morbid Prophecy
- Ulthima - Symphony of the Night
- Steel Bearing Hand - Slay in Hell
- Mega Colossus - Riptime
- Crypta - Echoes of the Soul
- Diabolizer - Khalkedonian Death
- Knights of the Realm - Knights of the Realm
- Cân Bardd - Devoured by the Oak
- Unto Others - Strength
- 1914 - Where Fear and Weapons Meet

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Nordick posted:

So I never got around to giving my "preliminary" AOTY list a better think, so I guess the one I posted earlier is my final top 10 now. :shrug:

However, here's a bunch of honourable mentions just because I was talking about this elsewhere and I still have it in my clipboard:

- Helloween - Helloween
- Flotsam & Jetsam - Blood in the Water
- Jess and the Ancient Ones - Vertigo
- The Bleeding - Morbid Prophecy
- Ulthima - Symphony of the Night
- Steel Bearing Hand - Slay in Hell
- Mega Colossus - Riptime
- Crypta - Echoes of the Soul
- Diabolizer - Khalkedonian Death
- Knights of the Realm - Knights of the Realm
- Cân Bardd - Devoured by the Oak
- Unto Others - Strength
- 1914 - Where Fear and Weapons Meet

I really enjoyed that Unto Others release. Reminds me of Type O but sped up and only the highest range of Peter’s vocal style.

Also this cover is loving great:

https://youtu.be/LvbtZl5t8ms

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Catching up on music threads for the first time in forever and I have to chime in on this to say that while their last couple bored me to death, I will never ever get tired of the run from Marriage of Heaven and Hell through House of Atreus.
Invictus!

Now the important question: I've got like three weeks left of the apartment to myself and I'm catching up on pretty much everything that happened in the last five years; what is the best newish speed metal? I see there's a new Helloween at least.

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

Irony.or.Death posted:

Catching up on music threads for the first time in forever and I have to chime in on this to say that while their last couple bored me to death, I will never ever get tired of the run from Marriage of Heaven and Hell through House of Atreus.
Invictus!

Now the important question: I've got like three weeks left of the apartment to myself and I'm catching up on pretty much everything that happened in the last five years; what is the best newish speed metal? I see there's a new Helloween at least.

definitely give Sölicitör a listen.

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

also Mystic Storm.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Cynicus posted:

definitely give Sölicitör a listen.

The fabled double umlaut

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

BurningBeard posted:

I really enjoyed that Unto Others release. Reminds me of Type O but sped up and only the highest range of Peter’s vocal style.

Also this cover is loving great:

https://youtu.be/LvbtZl5t8ms

Yeah this is REALLY loving good. Goddamn this album rules.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Irony.or.Death posted:

Speedtrap - Straight Shooter
Speedtrap are (or were, rip) pretty much my gold standard for speed metal. Their second and last album is from six and change years ago, but I'm including it anyway because it loving owns.

Rocka Rollas - Celtic Kings
This project was already canned, but then Ced turned around and released one last album under the moniker, or something like that. At any rate, it's very good. (Earlier Rocka Rollas albums are very good too, especially The Road to Destruction.) Ced is kind of a terrible singer, but it's part of the charm tbh.

Risingfall - Arise from the Ashes
Just an EP, but it's a really drat good EP. Bonus points for opening like every speed metal album should: The singer going AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Eternity's End - Embers of War
This is actually from this year. It's more power metal than speed, but you namedropped Helloween so I assume you won't be too bothered about that. Has Iuri Sanson from Hibria on the vocals and some serious loving guitar work going on.

There's been tons of good stuff but that should tide you over for a bit.

Also, do yourself a favour and subscribe to the "NWOTHM Full Albums" channel on Youtube, they upload shitloads of stuff, and while it's obviously not all good, I've made a ton of really drat good discoveries through them.

EDIT: Oh gently caress me, I forgot about Riot City. Burn the Night is basically the best 80s metal album made since the 80s. Just absolutely loving sick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6FMRusftrI

Nordick fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 5, 2022

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Extremely good poo poo here, thanks - especially the Risingfall EP, they've got that guitar tone I associate with Bewitched's Pentagram Prayer that I just love the hell out of forever

e: also yes I just listened to that Riot City and it is exactly what I want, this is great

e2: and Sölicitör, goddamn there's been some good stuff while I wasn't paying attention. Thanks again for the starting points.

Irony.or.Death fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 5, 2022

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Hey Metal thread, I never post here, but I finally got to attend a show in the Bay again, and seeing Ghoul/Mutilated Tongue/Captured By Robots/Deathgrave was quite cathartic after a lovely year. I didn't know what to expect by Captured By Robots, but it was genuinely impressive. It's like Planet of the Apes meets the Rockafire Explosion, and the songs were great too.

Sean McGrath happened to be there, with a big smile on his face too!

Being accosted by a bass player

And an evening well mutilated

Was anyone else here in attendance?

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

I wanna see Ghoul too. :(

their live shows and gimmicky performance just looks straight up fun.

too bad concerts are not alllowed as The Netherlands is still far ways off from implementing a 2G society. wouldn't want to offend the anti-vaxxers now would we.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

gently caress yeah, I love Captured! By Robots, glad JBot is still doing that. Also why are all photos of Ross Sewage him kissing everyone?

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

Nordick posted:

EDIT: Oh gently caress me, I forgot about Riot City. Burn the Night is basically the best 80s metal album made since the 80s. Just absolutely loving sick.

Weird way to type "Significant Point's album Into the storm", but ok.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Speaking of live shows I went to one before Christmas and I think I got covid that night. It was Primitive Man, Blood Incantation, Sissy Spacek, Withered, and Jarhead Fertilizer

Saint Vitus went back to requiring masks but I don’t think it was good enough. Almost everyone was good about it though

Sissy Spacek throwing around garbage cans and broken cymbals

Blood Incantation

Primitive Man played Immersion in full

Snowy fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 7, 2022

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
YouTube led me to this and it made me pay attention. If you like sax, violins and trumpets this was pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ajJaJvNX70&t=242s

henpod fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 7, 2022

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Lifeglug posted:

gently caress yeah, I love Captured! By Robots, glad JBot is still doing that. Also why are all photos of Ross Sewage him kissing everyone?

I won't go into details, but he went through a lot the last couple years, and he said that when the Exhumed tour started, he was on a mission to kiss his friends at every stop. The picture is blurry because my back was to the door, and he sprinted up behind me with his phone out, selfie mode ready, and just planted it on me.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I know i'm a little late here, but that 200 stab wounds album is actually really good. I don't usually like the death/horror genre and while this is nothing new at all, these riffs are monstrous and easy to nod to.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I've been listening to that Unto Others album nearly non-stop since I made that post but on Spotify the radio led me to some great bands for once in their loving lives. Looks like this came out last year and gently caress - it's so drat good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHcNrvCyzqQ

Then it led me to this which is very much Toxic Holocaust worship and I am all for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lFix19LVio

Some of their older stuff reminded me if Speedwolf didn't break up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pa3P2KY390

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

Wraith loving rips.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cynicus posted:

Wraith loving rips.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
drat Wraith does fuckin rip.

Also, love checking up on a band and finding out they have something new out.

https://youtu.be/oOrIzmi7z_I

Who else does poo poo like Pharaoh does? Big sticking point for me is the production. It always feels a bit anemic. But like, proggy power metal type stuff, preferably without keyboards.

I think Anubis Gates is like the closest thing I can think of, and even they’re not really quite right, def heavy key influence with them, and they’re more hooky and less overtly technical than Pharaoh is by a wide margin.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 7, 2022

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Vintersorg posted:

I've been listening to that Unto Others album nearly non-stop since I made that post but on Spotify the radio led me to some great bands for once in their loving lives. Looks like this came out last year and gently caress - it's so drat good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHcNrvCyzqQ

i really loved MOL's last full length but i haven't spent a bunch of time with this new record. i need to change that.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

That Ghoul/Deathgrave show ruled, glad you dragged me out of town to it

I was out of town yesterday so I couldn't do a new release Friday, so here's yesterday's new releases

Helleruin/De Gevreesde Ziekte split, both sides are bm
Kalmankantaja, atmoblack
Wilderun on non-BC, folky progressive melodeath
Nocturnal Graves, black/deathrash
Needless, dm
Oar, doomy atmoblack
Power Paladin on non-BC, power metal shockingly
APES, deathgrind
Stangarigel, pagan atmoblack
Darkened, dm
Necrophagous, dm
Cruel Bomb, thrash
Altar of Gore, blackened death
Begravement, dm
Riverwood, prog
RGRSS, deathgrind
Worship, sludge
Warkazfer, bm
Aequorea, doomy sludge
Hacinthine Pillars, bm
Mantiir, raw bm/dungeon synth
Average Misanthropy / Dark Fog Eruption split, both sides are bm
Uzlaga, atmoblack

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
RIP to Burke Shelley from Budgie.

https://youtu.be/54H3EUAzpVg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Craziest voice in metal, and he made it work.