Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

For all the poo poo people give Jordan, much of it deserved, he was trying. Sometimes in every sense of the word, but still, just making the effort is so much more than so many authors.

Yeah he's a really mixed bag. I see him subtly making some emotionally aware points and then the next scene he's like "the servant's massive bosoms were hard to miss"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

On one side, tons of empowered and independent female characters doing a lot of cool stuff being genuinely cool.

On the other hand... the god drat spanking.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

SerSpook posted:

that's me, in part because people kept calling them the seanchan :colbert:

yeah I mean there's like one actual show only watcher "I thought thing was good post" for every 50 screeching grog WELL, IN THE BOOKS, ACTUALLY, posts so uh godspeed at keeping the thread something other than just "the full spoiler whining thread"

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nitrousoxide posted:

Huh, didn't remember or expect a speech from Birgitte to Nynaeve about not disempowering her of her own choices in a book written in the early 90's in the Fires of Heaven.

At the end of that book you will discover Sulin and the rest of the Maidens trying to teach Rand the exact same thing, in maybe one of the best scenes in the series.

It doesn't take but, well, Rand.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Gwaihir posted:

yeah I mean there's like one actual show only watcher "I thought thing was good post" for every 50 screeching grog WELL, IN THE BOOKS, ACTUALLY, posts so uh godspeed at keeping the thread something other than just "the full spoiler whining thread"

My favorite part of that thread is the people admitting they only half remember the three WoT books they read fifteen years ago complaining about changes and characterization and stuff.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I dunno I think he did alright. I just can't expect someone of his age, experience, and living in Georgia, who died in 2007 to do much better in the 80s/90s.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Barreft posted:

I dunno I think he did alright. I just can't expect someone of his age, experience, and living in Georgia, who died in 2007 to do much better in the 80s/90s.

No you don't get it, when you're writing a work of fiction you need to be 25 years ahead of the curve

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

"you can't just go around threatening people like a ninny" thanks Nynaeve

"She even heard the seafolk ate their dead. She didn't credit that, but if their men wore necklaces, what else might they do??" love Aviendha

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

I think he genuinely loved people and one of the fundamental underpinnings of the book is that everyone deserves agency and is worthy of respect, and to the extent he wasn’t ahead of the curve on stuff it was out of ignorance not malice. I think that’s why people generally seem to feel fond of the books even when they’re weak.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
he's an interesting fellow. i'd watch a biopic. I want to read his ballet crit

Calenth
Jul 11, 2001

Brolander posted:

he's an interesting fellow. i'd watch a biopic. I want to read his ballet crit

He used to hire staff assistants (as in, assistants for Maria and Alan) from the local dance companies, I suspect as a way of supporting the dancers by giving them easy day jobs

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

No you don't get it, when you're writing a work of fiction you need to be 25 years ahead of the curve

It's entirely possible to be very good in a lot of areas but have some really glaring flaws, like somehow mentioning boobs more often than any 3 epic fantasy authors combined.

People contain multitudes.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CainsDescendant posted:

My favorite part of that thread is the people admitting they only half remember the three WoT books they read fifteen years ago complaining about changes and characterization and stuff.

Same

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

CainsDescendant posted:

I mean, that's also half the posters in this thread. So many times they complained about HUGE CHANGES in scenes that were almost verbatim from the book.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

I like boobs

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Same

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
So did RJ

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

It’s generally good when someone both likes sex and recognises that other people exist as individuals with agency; horniness is a nice part of life and shouldn’t be the express preserve of creepers with a dubious understanding of consent.

And my word, RJ liked him some sex. His Conan books are IMO quite substantially hornier than WoT.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Beefeater1980 posted:

It’s generally good when someone both likes sex and recognises that other people exist as individuals with agency; horniness is a nice part of life and shouldn’t be the express preserve of creepers with a dubious understanding of consent.

And my word, RJ liked him some sex. His Conan books are IMO quite substantially hornier than WoT.

Impossible

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Beefeater1980 posted:

I mean, RJ might have been sex positive, but I don't know that the Wheel of Time books are

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Mayor Dave posted:

Impossible

Oh, it's very possible. The Conan books drip with horniness at all times.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Jaxyon posted:

I mean, RJ might have been sex positive, but I don't know that the Wheel of Time books are

How so? While WoT really was incredibly tame as far as sex goes, he seemed to acknowledge lots of different viewpoints of sexuality. It's like there's a bunch of Edmonds Fielder's in here, omg he mentioned spanking, for shame. Men and women bathe together? loving perverts!

I don't understand this forum sometimes. It's fine to be whatever sexual persuasion you want, but it's not okay for an author to mention bosoms? We can kink shame an author for mentioning spanking a handful of times in a 14 book series?

I certainly don't go out of my way to read edgy fiction, but WoT has got to be one of the tamest series ever. Even his more explicit books from Conan and the Fallon series were "and then they took their clothes off and had sex".

And yes, in comparison to the times he was well ahead of the curve with female empowerment. Hell, there's still a lot of modern fantasy that you could say falls short. I love the Abercrombie books, but I only really recall one strong female character, and she was in one of the kind of side novels. Prince of Thorns I struggle to recall any female characters that weren't there purely for having babies.

But, I guess it's important to show everyone how woke we are by calling out any shortcomings. It is possible to enjoy something framed in the time period it comes from and not burn all the history. How else will we know how far we've come, and apparently how far we still have to go?

I probably shouldn't even post this as I'm going to sleep and will wake up to being buried by outraged posts about how I just don't understand how terrible of a human Jordan was, but the wheel weaves as the wheel wills.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

They absolutely are. Not all of the characters are but that's something else entirely and it tends to mess them up explicitly in the fiction at times.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

I read a chapter in Lord of Chaos last night where Faile raked huge furrows into Perrin's shoulders, presumably during sex

as a way of marking her territory against Berelain :stonk:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the series isn't sexually explicit or anything, but its clearest overarching theme is a horny obsession with power hierarchies and domination/submission within them, which is generally (for women characters) expressed through public humiliation and bdsm.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The horny was coming from inside the building all along.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Looks like The Wheel of Time dominated the field from premiere through final episode release

https://twitter.com/WotTVSeries/status/1479087727211692035

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Take this with a metric ton of salt but this is the first media outlet I've seen claiming to know why Barney Harris left

Small Screen posted:

However, we were informed by an insider why Barney Harris really left the show. Sound like it all has to do with COVID-19. According to the insider, Harris didn’t want to get vaccinated which might have been a problem for filming a second season

https://www.small-screen.co.uk/barney-harris-sacked-from-the-wheel-of-time-heres-why/

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Hexel posted:

Take this with a metric ton of salt but this is the first media outlet I've seen claiming to know why Barney Harris left

https://www.small-screen.co.uk/barney-harris-sacked-from-the-wheel-of-time-heres-why/

Didn't he drop out before vaccines were really available, much less before any employer mandates were imposed?

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
big oof if true. imagine letting your career go over something like that when you are about to be on one of the biggest currently in production prestige shows as a main (fan favourite) character.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I hope it's true because it's funny while most alternative explanations are sad.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Would be pretty wild to loose your part on the most popular streaming television series of 2021 because you're a chud who refuses to get vaccinated against a deadly disease.

But like Shaddar Logoth being a backup dark one, the wheel has a backup Mat in place so that it can continue spinning.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

stramit posted:

big oof if true. imagine letting your career go over something like that when you are about to be on one of the biggest currently in production prestige shows as a main (fan favourite) character.

Not just a fan favorite, dude was really good as Mat. He could have ridden this show like the Supernatural guys for the rest of his life.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah he felt like Mat to me. Too bad he’s a stupid chud.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Harton posted:

Yeah he felt like Mat to me. Too bad he’s a stupid chud.

Is he?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's a British tabloid article, there's nothing they won't make up whole cloth. It's especially unlikely considering vaccines didn't exist yet when he left the show.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

It's a British tabloid article, there's nothing they won't make up whole cloth. It's especially unlikely considering vaccines didn't exist yet when he left the show.

Yeah I'm about 96% that article is clickbait bullshit.

Pfizer announced their vaccine on Novermber 9, 2020 and by all reports, problems with Barney cropped in in August/September.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Killer robot posted:

Didn't he drop out before vaccines were really available, much less before any employer mandates were imposed?

quote:

Principal photography for the first season started on September 16, 2019.[27] Filming in Prague was halted in March 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic[28] but had resumed by April 2021[29] and concluded in May 2021

Could in theory have fit but still very unlikely imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I mean, that same site has another WoT article claiming season 2 is being delayed because of LOTR on Prime

It quotes a studio exec and all he says is: they're gonna be thoughful about how and when those shows are released.