Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Stereotype posted:

cases will peak and drop eventually and the only reason will be that it infected everyone within reach
surely somebody has plotted where we are on that logistic curve right? It seems like pretty big news if the estimated total case count is nearing the total population

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Steve Yun posted:

I’m extremely proud to see more 3M 6200’s out there

These loving bougie laptop leftists with their fancy 7500’s and secureclicks

The 6200 is the respirator of the people!

I liked my 6200 but the straps wore out in less than a year, so plan on that possibility

The 6500 straps seem to be a bit more durable, but time will tell

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Stereotype posted:

cases will peak and drop eventually and the only reason will be that it infected everyone within reach

Just in time for the next wave, funny how that works

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Acelerion posted:

everyone real concerned about hourly employees and the quality of public education all of a sudden. Real concerned.

yeah it's the appropriation of concepts like "protecting the working class" and twisting it to mean "actually infecting and killing the working class" that really boils the blood

oh wait maybe that's just the new variant

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I want to point out that the people complaining about the 'laptop class' are themselves the laptop class

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

I didn't know that dishwashers were paid per dish

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

This is the company's read on the data, not observational studies. The company makes more money if you buy more compound.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

Who’s up for some covid family drama with a happy ending?

I’m so, so proud of him for making the decision not to go and for setting a boundary with his dad. He even served up some of the facts I’ve read to him from this thread. :love: These past two years have been very tough on our marriage at points, so knowing that we are on the same page is really nice :3:. He’s still struggling with some guilt but feels good about his decision. We’re gonna spend the rest of the evening playin the new pokemon snap together. Thanks cspam covid thread for keeping my little family safe for a bit longer :unsmith:

No happy ending, only mask 😡
But seriously proud of your husband, my mom pulls the exact same manipulative poo poo that his dad does and your husband has probably had to work hard to break his conditioning to it. loving toxic family members want you to prove you love them by getting covid when you should be able to rely on them to not want you to get sick in the first place.

Schnorkles posted:

you have had covid, or you will get covid.

:wrong:

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lacrosse posted:

Copmala needs to refill the prison labor pool with the parents of truant children

https://twitter.com/GovKathyHochul/status/1478798456643006465

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

surely somebody has plotted where we are on that logistic curve right? It seems like pretty big news if the estimated total case count is nearing the total population

It's not the total population, though. The real world is way the gently caress messier than that. It can't reach everyone and the conditions that caused it to spread everywhere like mass gatherings over thanksgiving, Christmas, and new years don't exist right now. Tons of schools are closed because of staffing shortages and tons of students are home sick at the schools that are still open. We're essentially in a soft lockdown right now because society is so sick that it can't function.

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Well your husband is a good man and he made the right choice. We also avoided my family for 2 years and the internal guilt is bad enough without the family actively saying it to you. It's pretty lovely of them to do that while saying they support your choices and well-being

Sorry your stuck dealing with the guilt too. He’s pretty used to this kind of treatment from his dad, it’s a tactic he’s used on him since he was a kid (and one I got from my parents as well when they were alive. Our similarly lovely parents were one of the first things we bonded over lol). It still stings though, no matter how many times you experience it. Your and other posters comments are raising his spirits considerably, so thank you :)

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Homeless Friend posted:

every time i see the sidewalk poo poo scooters (approx 1 million in san diego) i'm thinking of ripping out the box and getting a 400 scooter for free lol

lmao, praxis

rideshares like that are everywhere, they are so prolific in DC nowadays, big OW community there too even at the national mall

it's a much better way of getting around than a car, (weather depending usually as its drawback) any type of EVs for sure, but the problem still lies with cars and the culture we have with it and treating them like an app/novelty when it's lowkey a war and a problem of how we get around so the number one risk will always be a car no matter what when its just practical to have everyone ride bikes/evs/pub transpo/walk w/e in more spaces.

still all the american perils and hazards to deal with as if it's a feature of this current covid hellscape.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
If covid shows up at my house I’m not letting it in, simple as that.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1478953482744905728
hmm... seems bad

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Paradoxish posted:

It's not the total population, though. The real world is way the gently caress messier than that. It can't reach everyone and the conditions that caused it to spread everywhere like mass gatherings over thanksgiving, Christmas, and new years don't exist right now. Tons of schools are closed because of staffing shortages and tons of students are home sick at the schools that are still open. We're essentially in a soft lockdown right now because society is so sick that it can't function.
lol so we basically need the epidemiology equivalent of a climate-modeling supercomputer to figure out how many people are going to be infected

nobody has any idea what the gently caress is going on

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

Literally everyone should be terrified of COVID endemic.

It's a rapidly mutating bug with high immune escape that's going to chance onto the "kill everyone, but not before you spread" jackpot thousands of years ahead of influenza because the entire cycle plays out at such a rapid pace.

Schnorkles posted:

It literally IS what the ID people were warning influenza could be but thankfully wasn't.

...mild? you mean mild right. I have been assured it is mild.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Trixie Hardcore posted:

cave doctrine

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Stereotype posted:

pint x is 27lbs but yeah i'm just a big blob of jello (except for my legs, which are made of glass)

also i can just now put weight on my leg, so it's gonna be another month before i can do anything besides "walking, maybe without a cane eventually"

oh no wow

yeah just take it easy :sweatdrop:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Steve Yun posted:

I’m extremely proud to see more 3M 6200’s out there

These loving bougie laptop leftists with their fancy 7500’s and secureclicks

The 6200 is the respirator of the people!

i realize you probably have the same one but it's pretty funny to imagine people recognizing and judging respirators on sight.

like talking about custom vapes rig like "yea im just rollin with a 6200 right now, it's outclassed by the 7500, but bang for your buck it's still the king. and you can mod it way easier so if you're willing to learn to solder, you can be basically the same performance for a much lower price that you can use for beans"

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I'm writing an essay for the atlantic about why what you're doing is worse than covid.

We have to let the virus in!!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

lol so we basically need the epidemiology equivalent of a climate-modeling supercomputer to figure out how many people are going to be infected

nobody has any idea what the gently caress is going on

yeah I mean I don't think it's controversial to say that the endless expontential growth model is basically a perfectly spherical cow model

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
shame that as the richest country in the world we can’t afford to pay people to stay at home for months on end. Anyhoo, time to dole out that $750 billion pentagon budget to the deserving folks at General Dynamics, Boeing, Leidos and so on

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

pissinthewind posted:

isn't the scariest part of a virus like this that mutates so rapidly or even the flu or whatever that it mutates into something super deadly, that essentially once we let it be endemic any year could be THE year where it gets bad much worse?

no, it's mild. viruses get milder.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

assuming excess deaths are still a third higher like they were earlier in the pandemic, it's actually 1 in 292

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

They cant send you a covid test but the national guard is about to airdrop dayquil over suburbia

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Paradoxish posted:

When the virus isn't wanted society has a natural way of shutting that down.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

meanwhile how many people are dying of other issues they would’ve normally survived due to the insanely overburdened healthcare system

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

This is only the first ~2 years

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

double negative posted:

meanwhile how many people are dying of other issues they would’ve normally survived due to the insanely overburdened healthcare system

we'll find out when the excess deaths spike (again)

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

i think u mean sounds fuckin rad

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

:d2a:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

It's funny because this is at least partially why the "natural herd immunity" crowd is always loving wrong. It never gets everyone. There are always people like that omicron envy lady who just don't catch it despite their best efforts, and those people will be there for the next wave so we can keep breeding variants forever until we're all dead.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

thats like, 4 people in ur high school :goofy:

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Schnorkles posted:

don't really believe in god, but mother nature is a motherfucker

the small part of me that still is religious feels like this is god

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my brother in laws entire building flooded because the fire sprinklers deployed accidentally, presumably because they weren't servicing it regularly due to covid.

so he's gonna be wfh for another six to nine months just because of that lmfao

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Crazypoops posted:

the small part of me that still is religious feels like this is god

I'm not religious at all but I'm definitely understanding the urge to blame things on divine judgment tbh

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my brother in laws entire building flooded because the fire sprinklers deployed accidentally, presumably because they weren't servicing it regularly due to covid.

so he's gonna be wfh for another six to nine months just because of that lmfao

saved by covid :confused:

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’m sad and I’m angry and I’m posting through it

you hosed covid didn't you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
have a look at some of the replies to our state premier after announcing +1 covid case. this is after he's already said he's taking down the borders on feb 5.

https://twitter.com/DavideLeRoth/status/1478949414576091136?s=20