Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Flurona is my stripper name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Lori lightfoot says schools are the safest place for our kids. LIES! Everyone knows cruiseships are the safest place for our children. We need universal cruise based education NOW!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Flurona is my stripper name.

;)

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Do you think we'll get a new variant after omicron?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
All this terrible messaging is intentional they are encouraging people to commit suicide basically. How to do a Hitler without any of the blame or needing a military response to stop.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
Shits hosed so look at my cat

~reaches out and softly touches faces~

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

tuyop posted:

Like this is going to end up killing 40% of people over the next five years right?

No.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Stereotype posted:

i love when the government relies entirely on individuals to do the right thing to their own personal detriment while selfish bad actors aren't discouraged in any way. really makes me feel like i live in a society

Yeah, it sucks rear end.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i've had two friends conceive (on purpose) during covid. there's no reasoning with this kind of person

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
great time to have a baby tbh :shepface:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

facetoucher cat posted:

~reaches out and softly touches faces~

*whispers* baby :3:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I'm coming up on 12 hours out from a Moderna booster and it's kicking my rear end and I really needed this, thanks

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

great time to have a baby tbh :shepface:

Great time to have as many as possible to increase the odds one will survive to adulthood.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
“That’s the problem with neoliberalism: eventually you run out of other peoples’ lives.”

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Schnorkles posted:

No, which is why its so dangerous.

Part of the weird part of all of this is that we tend to exaggerate how dangerous COVID is, because the fact that it is so mild (esp. after vaccination and previous infection) does lead to most cases being asymptomatic or mildly asymptomatic. It's just.. when its not..

And it’s stupid as hell because any other risk with similar odds is stuff we completely re-order society around.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
in the mad max movies is there still a tire manufacturer

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Relin posted:

i've had two friends conceive (on purpose) during covid. there's no reasoning with this kind of person

the kids are going to die in a climate hellworld any way so lol at acting like doing nothing about covid would give them anything resembling a good life

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Do you think we'll get a new variant after omicron?

Not possible seeing as how covid is over

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

PIC ROSS is a pro tier username btw

COVID BABY

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Koirhor posted:

in the mad max movies is there still a tire manufacturer

They have a Gas Town and a Bullet Farm, so I'm sure it's called something like Fort Tire

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Relin posted:

setting aside the burden on low income, two working parentt families, it doesnt seem like that big a deal if kids take a year or two off from school? like i know people who got held back and seemed to still have careers. people can learn when theyre older

I saw a former co-worker on Twitter @mentioning the mayor, complaining that she wasn't following the CDC in reducing the standard quarantine period from 10 days to 5. Parents want their kids back in the COVID mines so they can work. Being a parent under this stage of capitalism seems to fundamentally alter your perception of reality in a way I don't totally understand.

I don't want to post another Nate tweet, but he literally said kids missing a year of school is worse than the Iraq War. Obviously, he is broken in a myriad of other ways, but I'm sure there are plenty of parents who would echo that.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 6, 2022

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Another 26K day (~1.48m U.S.).

Mom's gonna get 60Gy over the next 10 weeks starting Tuesday. I'm totally unprepared. poo poo sucks.

facetoucher cat posted:

:kimchi:

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 6, 2022

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Isizzlehorn posted:

It's been two years, everyone double vaxxed that wants to

There is no vaccine approved for children under five. They are not double vaccinated even if they want to be.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm coming up on 12 hours out from a Moderna booster and it's kicking my rear end and I really needed this, thanks

I'm happy to hear you got the booster :)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Stereotype posted:

i love when the government relies entirely on individuals to do the right thing to their own personal detriment while selfish bad actors aren't discouraged in any way. really makes me feel like i live in a society

An analogy I came up with last night is vaccines are like seat belts, where the govt simply pleads with people to wear them and runs commercials about them. Same as right now mostly

But at the same time in this analogy, the govt would refuse to have speed limits anywhere and say it's perfectly safe to drive 100 if you wear the seat belt. A bunch of the politicians would be worried if they tried speed limits, the cops wouldn't enforce them because cops like to drive fast too.

Probably a bad analogy but the complete apathy by the govt is wild right now

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rubby, please draw this cat.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
HHS DATA for you ungrateful shits :)

WE HAVE HIT 126k beds used for covid
...and we have crossed under 150k available beds for the first time in Omicron

Critical Staffing Shortages are reported in 1164 Hospitals.

Beds Used: 596,957
-For COVID 126,410 +5k
ICU Occupancy: 65,835
-For COVID 21,522 (+350)

Admissions yesterday: 27,727
-25,510 adults
-1,717 kids

Hospitalizations totals
-121,946 Adults
- 4,464 kids

Maps coming soon

Also - For the Goon asking about DC yesterday
2,654 beds in use
847 are COVID
713 ICU beds used
262 COVID

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Thoguh posted:

And it’s stupid as hell because any other risk with similar odds is stuff we completely re-order society around.

War on drugs is particularly relevant here. Putting substances into your own body? Send in the police. Responding to a pandemic? Personal responsibility.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mastershakeman posted:

An analogy I came up with last night is vaccines are like seat belts, where the govt simply pleads with people to wear them and runs commercials about them. Same as right now mostly

But at the same time in this analogy, the govt would refuse to have speed limits anywhere and say it's perfectly safe to drive 100 if you wear the seat belt. A bunch of the politicians would be worried if they tried speed limits, the cops wouldn't enforce them because cops like to drive fast too.

Probably a bad analogy but the complete apathy by the govt is wild right now

I was thinking similar months ago, except that the car also a convertible without airbags.

In my analogy driving the speed limit, a closed top car, and airbags were all NPIs, like masks, social distancing, and staying home.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
man, I can’t believe I used to defend Biden.

Throw me in jail. Throw away the key. Feed me bread and water.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Bullfrog posted:

I will admit goons, I am a coward. I know multiple people I've been friends with who are traveling, sucking and loving, going out to eat with fevers, and I can't loving call them out publically. It's like they have me mentally checkmated.

From various differing factors between them like past sexual history, from the fact that they're snakes who would subsequently seek every route available to go behind my back, the fact that we've been friends for years and have commiserated in other circumstances through thick and thin, etc.

On one hand it makes me so loving angry that people like this claim to be leftist, but continue to want to cough all over their applebees, and then on the other hand, the damage and stress the battle with them would cause is just not worth it mentally, besides, it's not like I can do poo poo about it. But it just pisses me off so bad

I spent months arguing with my best friend since I was 10, threatening our friendship and refusing to see him unless he got vaccinated. I yelled, I screamed, I told him that I don't give a gently caress about "respecting his beliefs" because as a friend, I'll gladly destroy our relationship if it means he gets two 10 minute shots that save his life. He never got it and, well, he got COVID about a month ago.

He has to wheel around an oxygen tank now and is shopping around for those sleeping machines fat people use. When I talk to him and he laughs, he runs out of breath. He says "I should've listened to you, man", but it's too late now.

At this point, I'd just do enough to say you tried for if and when they get sick. They'll never listen to you, so there's no point in tearing your hair out. If anything, you'll become a lightning rod for the doom they're trying to smother with frivolities.

Warn them once and be there for them when they get sick. Thats all you can do, really :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Phigs posted:

War on drugs is particularly relevant here. Putting substances into your own body? Send in the police. Responding to a pandemic? Personal responsibility.

There's a lot of money in the war on drugs, and making drugs illegal makes them cool, which increases the demand. It's basically a money printer.

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 70 days!

Ccs posted:

I know I should stop posting this guy but it just amazes me that in the face of all of this, he’s still convinced we’re gonna go back to anything close to 2019.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Theophite/status/1478883837803253760

Thank you for sharing that tweet.

Now I know exactly how much credence to give this guy.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Critical Staffing Shortages

California has gone from 109 hospitals in crisis to 142 since Thanksgiving
Michigan from 23 to 44
Indiana from 25 to 41
Missouri from 31 to 41
Kansas from 27 to 36
MD and NJ are +8
MA +7

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

They have a Gas Town and a Bullet Farm, so I'm sure it's called something like Fort Tire

Tire Fort surely

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/brycecovert/status/1479065652270878724

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Business Gorillas posted:

I spent months arguing with my best friend since I was 10, threatening our friendship and refusing to see him unless he got vaccinated. I yelled, I screamed, I told him that I don't give a gently caress about "respecting his beliefs" because as a friend, I'll gladly destroy our relationship if it means he gets two 10 minute shots that save his life. He never got it and, well, he got COVID about a month ago.

He has to wheel around an oxygen tank now and is shopping around for those sleeping machines fat people use. When I talk to him and he laughs, he runs out of breath. He says "I should've listened to you, man", but it's too late now.

At this point, I'd just do enough to say you tried for if and when they get sick. They'll never listen to you, so there's no point in tearing your hair out. If anything, you'll become a lightning rod for the doom they're trying to smother with frivolities.

Warn them once and be there for them when they get sick. Thats all you can do, really :shrug:

Yeah, it sucks, but it's all you can do, it's like my parents, they have bought the "it's mild" lie, hook line and sinker, so now I'm just waiting for them to start complaining that they caught a mild case of Omi, and being confounded because they're vaxxed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

man, I can’t believe I used to defend Biden.

Throw me in jail. Throw away the key. Feed me bread and water.

My mother tried that this morning

I asked her if she thinks Trump was so bad how is it not Biden's fault if there are the same courts around

Haven't gotten an answer :shrug: