Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

"Isn't that right, Zach?"
Saw a sign today that my local chain sandwich shop is closing 'temporarily due to staffing shortages', and every place has a Now Hiring sign. Local grocery has a person sitting in a chair by himself, a stack of resumes to be filled out next to him. Apparently in person interviews are available for several hours a day during the week.

Anecdotal stuff but sure everything's going fine in the States right now, yup.

Edit: Terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Chunky Salsa posted:

Saw a sign today that my local chain sandwich shop is closing 'temporarily due to staffing shortages', and every place has a Now Hiring sign. Local grocery has a person sitting in a chair by himself, a stack of resumes to be filled out next to him. Apparently in person interviews are available for several hours a day during the week.

we have lost the protestant work ethic

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

My guess is that Walensky will be announcing that they’re sending out covid tests, so that the million people who catch covid tomorrow will be able to own a test next month when they arrive. If I were a cynic, I would suggest that sending out tests that can’t be reported as positives to health authorities might be a move to make the number of cases look smaller.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
Covid-19 may have killed nearly 3 million in India, far more than official counts show

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Helith posted:

We’re also facing food shortages too as so many people working on the food supply lines are sick or isolating.
The fruit, veg and meat aisles at my supermarket have been getting emptier and emptier and today there was hardly anything left, like seriously massive gaps and only a few random items left.

https://twitter.com/guardianaus/status/1479350845657522176?s=21

Apparently in the Whitsundays (popular tourist islands for non Aussies) there's only one restaurant still open and the tourists are pissed lmao

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

i’ve just been assuming 4 million ever since summer

it’s just one of these things that will never know and will be an asterisk in Wikipedia

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I just went on a beer run. The first 24 hour convenience store had a sign saying the system was down, which is the guy’s move every night when he’s working by himself and wants to get some stocking done. The second 24 hour convenience store was simply closed. As I walked back to the first one to try my luck, I saw a security guy and a cop both doing the important work of kicking a homeless guy out of the doorway of a vacant storefront. The way I see it, those pigs should get a real job selling me cold ones.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Chunky Salsa posted:

Only one restaurant? There's like 20 with the same sign within 5km of me. And that's with like 20% of shops permanently closing due to lockdowns.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Apparently in the Whitsundays (popular tourist islands for non Aussies) there's only one restaurant still open and the tourists are pissed lmao

All my old cuts and burns ache for the unfortunate creatures stuck working that kitchen. I’m picturing a line of ten thousand vacationing Americans all informing the American behind them that it’s actually considered rude to tip in this strange land, all of them agreeing that this is a better system. The line stretches into the ocean and across the sea floor and none of them even die, so powerful is their lust for service.

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

"Isn't that right, Zach?"

Only one restaurant? There's like 20 with the same sign within 5km of me. And that's with like 20% of shops permanently closing due to lockdowns.

I mean we could have a back and forth of the various places I've noticed that have closed in my area, but that shop stuck out to me because it's a national chain, along with the grocery.

Again just an anecdote

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh my god they loving did it

these idiots!

llmao

up to 0 days!

haha why would you even type that

lol

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

The hosed up thing about having the roni is, despite generally feeling fine with minimal symptoms I'm starting to psych myself out. I can't tell if I'm having actual symptoms of fatigue or if it's just depression over the hosed up situation.

I think the kids got me and my wife sick. I'm going to feel really bad if despite all their various symptoms this past couple of weeks I've gotten them sick too.

At least they aren't part of the plague happening in the school district right now lmao. That's definitely well over 10% out in isolation at each school aside from maybe the HS:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

HiHo ChiRho posted:

The hosed up thing about having the roni is, despite generally feeling fine with minimal symptoms I'm starting to psych myself out. I can't tell if I'm having actual symptoms of fatigue or if it's just depression over the hosed up situation.

I think the kids got me and my wife sick. I'm going to feel really bad if despite all their various symptoms this past couple of weeks I've gotten them sick too.

At least they aren't part of the plague happening in the school district right now lmao. That's definitely well over 10% out in isolation at each school aside from maybe the HS:

take baby aspirin so you don't get a stroke. good luck

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Literal laugh out loud.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

He’s emphasizing the N/A.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Is “walk by you” a phrase? It sounds like either total nonsense, bad translation, or one of those things that evangelicals decide sounds cool.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
So I think I realized that the health care system will not collapse. It is a self correcting issue. People will just die from easily treatable conditions until census gets back to manageable condition.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Lmao. This is like pledging your allegiance to a lukewarm glass of milk.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

People forget because it seems like a century ago but there was a pay shortage, aka "labor shortage" before Covid hit, every single restaurant around town had a "help wanted" sign on it because the turnover was getting out of hand.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

In my nook in Vermont, none of the restaurants closed and nearly all leaned heavily into takeout with online ordering. Previous to March 2020, all takeout was strictly phone and a good 20% of the time, someone would be "lost in translation".

Until recently with an unvaccinated 6 year old I had no choice but to exclusively order online (even before Omicron I had no intention of changing that behavior). Since they started using online ordering there's never been a problem with any order and my preference for it has largely become a requirement these days. So much so that when I go to a website and don't see online ordering, I almost always punt and look elsewhere.

To circle back to actual Covid, the one restaurant we takeout more than others (and for reference, we only take out once a week) announced that due to the increased number of Covid cases in our county (not the usual "worker has it") they are going back to takeout only for a week or two. And a regular patron it doesn't affect me at all.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Asproigerosis posted:

So I think I realized that the health care system will not collapse. It is a self correcting issue. People will just die from easily treatable conditions until census gets back to manageable condition.

Exactly

Too big to fail

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, January 7) — The Department of Health maintains its stance against mass testing even with the recent alarming rise of fresh COVID-19 infections.

"[Ever since, right from the beginning, we never advocated for mass testing. No matter how many cases we have in the country, mass testing is not recommended by our experts and even science would say mass testing is not rational.]," DOH Usec. Ma. Rosario Vergeire said in a virtual briefing on Friday.

The DOH official stressed that the government is adopting a risk-based approach to testing for COVID-19, which prioritizes symptomatic individuals and their close contacts.

"[If you conduct mass testing, say we test you all now. Then you go out tomorrow and you gain exposure. Will we be testing you again?]" said Vergeire.

Lawmakers and advocacy groups alike have intensified calls to make COVID-19 testing more affordable and accessible to the wider public, arguing this will help the country determine how the virus is spreading and therefore control it better.

DOH-Technical Advisory Group member Dr. Edsel Salvaña, meanwhile, emphasized transmission may be addressed by intensifying the government's Prevention, Detection, Isolation, Treatment, Reintegration (PDITR) strategy along with vaccination efforts.

"[We don't test everyone that catches the flu. We don't test everyone who gets a cold. What's important is we test everyone who's at risk of contracting severe disease and treat them with the tools that we have.]," he explained.

The Philippines reported 21, 819 new COVID-19 cases on Friday, the first time the single-day tally breached 20,000 since September last year. The country's positivity rate is currently at 40%, also a record high.

Despite infections having significantly gone up amid the threat of Omicron, authorities have yet to formally declare local community transmission of the highly transmissible variant. Officials, however,said they assume the Omicron virant is driving the current rise in infection.

For his part, Salvaña acknowledged that the proportion of local Omicron cases among the samples sequenced by the Philippine Genome Center has indeed gone up and that this must be looked into.

local authorities pulling a Jen Psaki

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Local restaurants have started to raise their prices which is going to be a death spiral of customers leaving those businesses, which lowers revenue, oh poo poo better raise prices again to counter the loss of foot traffic.....

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot

Hadlock posted:

Infected with moderate covid, 5 days bed rest then back to the mines, slaves

Both mild and moderate :rubby:

Political milds

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.

Chunky Salsa posted:

Saw a sign today that my local chain sandwich shop is closing 'temporarily due to staffing shortages', and every place has a Now Hiring sign.

Local coffee shop/cafe near me is very active on social media about the issues they are having with staffing. Seems that there may be a solution to the consistent issues they're having, just can't put my finger on it

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

icantfindaname posted:

Anybody have a link to the study with the rats where they all died?
this one got linked a few (???) pages back, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1769406/, just be aware that it's for SARS-CoV-1, dated 2007. idk if there's a newer one with Covid-19

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Exodus1984 posted:

Local coffee shop/cafe near me is very active on social media about the issues they are having with staffing. Seems that there may be a solution to the consistent issues they're having, just can't put my finger on it

$2.33/hr for servers is enough for ever and ever!

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Egg Moron posted:

Exactly

Too big to fail

https://twitter.com/dril/status/387760174401732608?t=TsvEFJBMbwq8QHlS0pogBQ&s=19

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

China made its Hong Kong people attend a state hoopla then they all caught COVID

https://twitter.com/InsiderNews/status/1479337726658945026

😷

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

these idiots!

holy fuckin poo poo thats evil

i had a weird mix of a totally normal and fine childhood blanketed over very early childhood trauma, leftist from an early age even though i was really dumb about it for a decade, and I've been following this thread since this iteration, internalized there's always more and its always worse and dehumanize yourself and face to devastation a long long time ago. all that led me to totally expect the absolute worst possible outcomes and this demon cracker nation to always chose number over life or anything resembling decency. we've clearly never cared about average people the world over, here included.

so i haven't really crack pinged to much of anything so far in this thread, or climate collapse, or [number]. thats all to be expected because capitalism, of course we chose evil. and honestly this thread called this werks or months ago too.

but this? i fuckin felt this.

we're the baddies

Can't wait for this nation to burn.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So what happens to counties dependent on globalization for exports etc when the us onshore/near shores manufacturing? If we moved electronics manufacturing back to Japan and the us, the economy of Vietnam would probably collapse

What's the ten year outlook for all this? Another Arab spring, but worldwide? loving up globalization is going to push a lot of already marginal people into poverty

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.
Loving that the CDC cut the quarantine period in half to keep the economy going.

Hadlock posted:

So what happens to counties dependent on globalization for exports etc when the us onshore/near shores manufacturing? If we moved electronics manufacturing back to Japan and the us, the economy of Vietnam would probably collapse

This is not as simple as building factories in Japan and the US. Part of the reason these factories were off-shored in the first place was labor costs, another was regulatory costs (environmental regulation). Communities are not just going to open their arms to giant production facilities like these when they learn how dirty they are.

Exodus1984 fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 7, 2022

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Hadlock posted:

What's the ten year outlook for all this? Another Arab spring, but worldwide? loving up globalization is going to push a lot of already marginal people into poverty

Vietnam benefits from downstream operations of manufacturing.

In addition, its meritocratic core profits from substantial operations in real estate and finance.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hadlock posted:

I think the *producers* of stuff for export will have a much easier time of things than the consumers. All Vietnam gets from selling electronics to the US is dollars, if they don’t import very much and just hoard those dollars losing the business is not that big of a deal. I guess you need some to but oil but I don’t think they are importing very much food, all the Asian developmental states have historically been very agriculturally protectionist and conscious of food self-sufficiency. Applies even more to China. Third world countries without a developed/export sector like India or Arabs or much of Latin America will continue on as before just with more misery for the urban masses. But they are pretty miserable to begin with.

US and Europe though are going to have a very bad time. Countries relying on international services are screwed, especially tourism. I think economic depression for places like Canada and other small internationalized countries, and a great leap backwards to Brazil levels of development with miserable underemployed surplus masses of population for US/UK is most likely. EU countries will be some combo and maybe a few will even try to suppress the virus even

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 7, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

the US isn't going to re-on-shore its manufacturing. Capitalist logic makes this impossible until/unless the political economy significantly changes

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Exodus1984 posted:

This is not as simple as building factories in Japan and the US. Part of the reason these factories were off-shored in the first place was labor costs,

A pretty substantial amount of manufacturing is automated now, I forget the statistic but the us still manufactures the same total dollar amount, they just use far less labor to do it

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Hadlock posted:

What's the ten year outlook for all this?

not so good

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Hadlock posted:

A pretty substantial amount of manufacturing is automated now, I forget the statistic but the us still manufactures the same total dollar amount, they just use far less labor to do it

I don't disagree. But, companies are always going to base any decision to bring a factory back to the US, and automate said factory on how much it costs to do it. Robots are not cheap.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I literally cannot find a way to get my daughter tested that would get results in a reasonable amount of time. Rapid tests have been sold out for a week (and probably wouldn’t be accurate). Pretty much everywhere says they won’t get more until around the 15-20. PCR testing schedules are all blocked so you have to wait in a 5+ hour line to get results in 5 days if you are lucky. I have coworkers who got tested on Monday and do not have results.

The kid is still showing no symptoms and was masked the whole time so gently caress it I guess. Great country. Would recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

gradenko_2000 posted:

these idiots!

These things are always really funny to me because they read as punishing people for getting vaxed