Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Starting to really like the transitions from half/deep half to X. It seems to work pretty well even when they are not standing up and are maybe on a knee. Got a sweet back take last night against someone my size using this transition from X. Im starting to see a little more growth and thats always a fun place to be.

Very cool! I need to work on X a bit. Last time I tried to pull it while rolling, I kicked myself in the beans. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Starting to really like the transitions from half/deep half to X. It seems to work pretty well even when they are not standing up and are maybe on a knee. Got a sweet back take last night against someone my size using this transition from X. Im starting to see a little more growth and thats always a fun place to be.

I like this stuff a lot right now too. I never got good at deep half guard, but from a knee shield any time you unbalance them and they step up onto a foot with the other leg, easy x-guard. Also sometimes when my knee shield gets squished so that I can't access the near side, only the far side? I alternate between trying to get a kimura on the far arm or trying to elevate the far knee into an x-guard stand-up sweep.

I'm trying to get good at the intersection between half-guard and closed guard at the moment. It seems like you can solve a lot of half-guard problems by just locking closed guard when they defend against your half-guard attacks. The trick is that I have to find grips that work across both guards. The overhook control seems like a good option, I'm playing around with that at the moment, but I'm looking for other ideas. I know you have to really fight to get good grips in closed guard, I'm hoping I can grab a strong closed guard grip while I'm still in half.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

i just learned the homer simpson sweep last week and it's been going insanely well for me. Able to hit it on good players.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

heeebrew posted:

i just learned the homer simpson sweep last week and it's been going insanely well for me. Able to hit it on good players.

had to look that up but i'm definitely trying it out because half guard is the only position from which i'm even mildly dangerous.

for people who don't know what it is either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6HM1MJWNqI

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

is it weird that I want to get really good at that just from the name alone?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I'm trying to get good at the intersection between half-guard and closed guard at the moment. It seems like you can solve a lot of half-guard problems by just locking closed guard when they defend against your half-guard attacks. The trick is that I have to find grips that work across both guards. The overhook control seems like a good option, I'm playing around with that at the moment, but I'm looking for other ideas. I know you have to really fight to get good grips in closed guard, I'm hoping I can grab a strong closed guard grip while I'm still in half.

Try getting to that underhook when youre in half too and getting the hand up high where he cant re-pummle and force him to get the overhook/whizzer. You're in a much better position with an underhook than a overhook for the most part. With that being part of your half guard game other things will open up: half butterfly, the coyote sweep, back takes, etc.

Half to single leg x to X is a good transition as well from half when they are really moving forward up on you. Sweep them with an underhook on their leg from Single leg X for a quick sweep.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

You can also get to x from bottom half when you don't have the underhook.

If neither of you had a good underhook yet and you can rotate your hips so you're facing the opposite side of the way you usually want to be when in bottom half and then use your forearm on their neck to push them down til they're perpendicular to you.

Then you scoop up their now near-side leg with your arm, and go for your x-guard hooks with the feet and you can just extend to get under them and either go to deep half, or try and take the back.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Try getting to that underhook when youre in half too and getting the hand up high where he cant re-pummle and force him to get the overhook/whizzer. You're in a much better position with an underhook than a overhook for the most part. With that being part of your half guard game other things will open up: half butterfly, the coyote sweep, back takes, etc.

I already love underhook half-guard but I tend to get lower and grab around the hips. I find the transition back to closed guard clunky but it never occured to me to switch back to a higher underhook first. I’ll give it a crack.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Both have their uses. One thing to keep in mind, as explained by one of my coaches who's spent a *lot* of time playing all kinds of half guard with people who are very good at it--it's much easier to go from a low underhook to a high one than vice versa in bottom half, so be aware of which options you're closing off for yourself. Also, be prepared to eat a lot of Mir locks and D'arce chokes while you get a feel for it.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Nestharken posted:

Both have their uses. One thing to keep in mind, as explained by one of my coaches who's spent a *lot* of time playing all kinds of half guard with people who are very good at it--it's much easier to go from a low underhook to a high one than vice versa in bottom half, so be aware of which options you're closing off for yourself. Also, be prepared to eat a lot of Mir locks and D'arce chokes while you get a feel for it.

And then if you defend the D'arce they switch to a Japanese Necktie. Been there, done that :D

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I was going to ask what the thoughts were on the low/high underhook. Before covid I was leaning more towards high underhook, to set up the shoulder crunch and go from there. I felt like when I was low was when I was getting harassed by d'arce attempts, as well as re-pummels.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

ihop posted:

I was going to ask what the thoughts were on the low/high underhook. Before covid I was leaning more towards high underhook, to set up the shoulder crunch and go from there. I felt like when I was low was when I was getting harassed by d'arce attempts, as well as re-pummels.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I find high underhookers a lot easier to darce than low.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I find high underhookers a lot easier to darce than low.

TECHNICAL poo poo INCOMING:

Ive been doing something really weird lately and its not something that anyone has shown me but its a little detail Ive taken from the over/under pass. If you flare your arm out when you get the under on that pass where you grab the belt, it makes it drat near impossible to try and sweep you as long as your pressure is down low and your chin is locked with their hip. Ive taken that and applied it to bottom half with a high underhook: I kind of flare my arm open a little bit. It extends their arm even further away from their body and makes the re-pumle really really difficult at that point. It also off balances them a little. Its really frustrating the poo poo out of my teammates right now.

This concept of either keeping your arms at your side (like you have oranges under your arm, as my professor says) , or connecting your arm to your opponents body and not letting them back in, is a concept that was never really reinforced to me at my previous academy. It works extremely well when you switch to a half butterfly sweep.

Anyway this poo poo is a science and I love being in the lab!

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 11, 2022

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Firas Zahabi has a great video that is relevant at 2:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jv-WLMa7Ss

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Is there an increased kimura risk, flaring during that pass? I’ve always tried to hide the arm as deep under the leg as possible to stop them getting a grip.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Is there an increased kimura risk, flaring during that pass? I’ve always tried to hide the arm as deep under the leg as possible to stop them getting a grip.

Not really. They're on their back. From a guard position you cant really get to a kimura lock if your back is flat on the ground.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Would it be a bit too personal to ask where everyone trains? Or maybe the Lineage you train under? Just curious, and I dont remember seeing this before.

The only person I know is Heebrew :P

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I train at a small club in rural Western Canada that has connections to UFC fighters who you 100% have watched, and like many longer-running orgs in Western Canada, is a Behring lineage with no actual remaining connections to them now. In the past we've been MMA focused but right now we're shifting toward recreational jiu jitsu because we don't really have anyone in our immediate group with MMA aspirations.

(Our group is so small that to give any more details would 100% result in me having put down enough information to dox myself. There is at least one poster here who knows enough just from what I've posted over the years who could very easily make a phone call, give a very vague description of me, and get my full name because the group is that small. poo poo you could probably go through my post history and figure it out but I prefer to make anyone who decides to do that put the work into crossing the "weirdo" boundary.)

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Would it be a bit too personal to ask where everyone trains? Or maybe the Lineage you train under? Just curious, and I dont remember seeing this before.

I'm in eastern Canada myself. Lineage wise my school goes through Rickson Gracie.

Also my mother's maiden name is... :cheeky:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Eastern Canada, BJJ-only, independent gym that doesn't care about lineages.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Brooklyn. BJJ only. Refugee. Currently not training because omicron lol but over the past year have been training informally on some mats thrown down in a yoga studio rented by the hour with some fellow refugees from my old school, which before shutting down was owned and operated by a black belt under Jamie Cruz who is a black belt under Renzo Gracie.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
bumfuck nowhere - australia. lineage? lol we don't even have a black belt.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

CommonShore posted:

I train at a small club in rural Western Canada that has connections to UFC fighters who you 100% have watched, and like many longer-running orgs in Western Canada, is a Behring lineage with no actual remaining connections to them now. In the past we've been MMA focused but right now we're shifting toward recreational jiu jitsu because we don't really have anyone in our immediate group with MMA aspirations.

(Our group is so small that to give any more details would 100% result in me having put down enough information to dox myself. There is at least one poster here who knows enough just from what I've posted over the years who could very easily make a phone call, give a very vague description of me, and get my full name because the group is that small. poo poo you could probably go through my post history and figure it out but I prefer to make anyone who decides to do that put the work into crossing the "weirdo" boundary.)

Im also under the Behring Lineage. Lots of Gracie combative type of stuff Im learning since being under it and its actually been way harder to learn than the sport stuff. I train in Southern Calif. You will see me drop in often at 10p locations for some free open mat :D

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Brisbane, Australia. BJJ/Judo school. I have no idea what our Judo lineage is but our BJJ coach is two steps down from one of the Alliance founders (Paiva). I trained at few other places before, though. I’ve trained with two UFC fighters you’ve never heard of, and one who you’ve heard of but rightfully hate.

Marching Powder posted:

bumfuck nowhere - australia. lineage? lol we don't even have a black belt.

Give us a city name?

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Melbourne, Australia. Our instructor is one of Peter de Been's students. We are a super tiny class, though.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

TECHNICAL poo poo INCOMING:

Ive been doing something really weird lately and its not something that anyone has shown me but its a little detail Ive taken from the over/under pass. If you flare your arm out when you get the under on that pass where you grab the belt, it makes it drat near impossible to try and sweep you as long as your pressure is down low and your chin is locked with their hip. Ive taken that and applied it to bottom half with a high underhook: I kind of flare my arm open a little bit. It extends their arm even further away from their body and makes the re-pumle really really difficult at that point. It also off balances them a little. Its really frustrating the poo poo out of my teammates right now.

This concept of either keeping your arms at your side (like you have oranges under your arm, as my professor says) , or connecting your arm to your opponents body and not letting them back in, is a concept that was never really reinforced to me at my previous academy. It works extremely well when you switch to a half butterfly sweep.

Anyway this poo poo is a science and I love being in the lab!

Something I've been finding out a lot lately is that there's a world of difference between, say, a bad underhook and a good underhook, and even though an underhook is usually better to have than an overhook, a bad underhook is actually a *huge* liability against someone with a good overhook. Of course, you have to just say "get an underhook" when you're teaching or you'll never get close to the end of a single technique.

I used to train at one of the oldest Gracie-affiliated gyms in the Midwest. The blue belt curriculum was basically just the Gracie Combatives program and the focus was very much on basic self-defense aimed at total newbies. I followed two of my coaches from there when they opened up their own gym a few years later; it's unaffiliated and more competition- and upper belt-focused, but you can definitely tell where they got their black belts from--still plenty of closed guard and cross collar chokes, etc.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Generic Gracie offshoot in the frozen North.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Drewjitsu posted:

Generic Gracie offshoot in the frozen North.

this but bleak south. formerly fight sports (before the Incident)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Gracie United, Gulfport MS, under coach Heather Dunn and her husband Robert Dunn, both BJJ instructors with local MMA records.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Free Craig Jones mini instructional on BJJ fanatic. Available the next 3 days.

"pendejo guard" which is ... It's hard to describe but not complicated when you see it. Like you're going to snatch a single leg, hands on back of knee and ankle, but laying on your side with your feet scissored to lay over your hands. It's just 30 minutes of basic options from that position.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Well the local covid cases graph just went vertical and it's at least 2x bigger than any previous bump, maybe 3x. Rank review is next Thursday and I am just deflated. I'm probably going to have to give bjj up for the third time over this mess and right before a super fun event where I'd get to roll with all sorts of new people.

I half considered training hard this week and next, enjoying rank review, and then isolating from the folks in my house for the entire time plus 5 days. Seems super selfish though.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

Free Craig Jones mini instructional on BJJ fanatic. Available the next 3 days.

"pendejo guard" which is ... It's hard to describe but not complicated when you see it. Like you're going to snatch a single leg, hands on back of knee and ankle, but laying on your side with your feet scissored to lay over your hands. It's just 30 minutes of basic options from that position.

Thanks for sharing this.

It looks like there are some opportunities to use this in the gi as well mixing it up with a sit up guard. Definitely an interesting style of guard. Love those sweeps too which look like variations of basic open guard ones.

edit: How weird, i saw that pendelum fuerte sweep just a few weeks ago in a video from Keenan and thought it was really cool. Def something to play with.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 13, 2022

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

City of Brotherly Love

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I'm in a mid-atlantic state in an area that is surrounded by great talent but is somewhat lacking locally. My previous place was a Royce gym, closed-guard was the only guard, triangles don't work and leglocks aren't worth the time.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I'm in Arkansas. Dude (black belt) that owns the gym(s) where I train is affiliated with a dude that got his black belt from Robson Moura. That gym is either affiliated with rmnu or nova união, I'm not sure which. The gym I train at was also associated with one of those latter two but I dunno why we're not anymore. Maybe it carries down by our existing affiliation? Not sure I care.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've heard my coach describe our gym lineage more than once it always washes over me. I only remember it goes back to Machado and isn't related to the more uptight Gracie family members?

Edit: Took me three years at my gym to spend 30 seconds on Google to confirm that Jean Jaques Machado studied under Carlos Gracie, not Helio

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 13, 2022

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

knuthgrush posted:

I'm in Arkansas. Dude (black belt) that owns the gym(s) where I train is affiliated with a dude that got his black belt from Robson Moura. That gym is either affiliated with rmnu or nova união, I'm not sure which. The gym I train at was also associated with one of those latter two but I dunno why we're not anymore. Maybe it carries down by our existing affiliation? Not sure I care.

Gym affiliations and lineage is often murky water no matter where you go. Im at a gym that no longer affiliates itself with my professors instructor who gave him his black belt (Sylvio Behring), but IS affiliated with that dudes father (Flavio Behring). Why? Not sure.

I do see some subtle differences in things that lineages teach though. A lot of gracie combative stuff in the Behring lineage too. Which I actually like, and is very effective.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
I'm at a small unaffiliated school in Western North Carolina. Tends to be associated with BJJ Globetrotters, but everybody knows that's not a real affiliation.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
St. Paul Minnesota "Academy" affiliate. My coach opened his gym 6 yrs ago just before I started then got his black under Greg Nelson who is Pedro Sauer lineage and MMA coach to a couple UFC fighters (rose namajunes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Has it been mentioned that Craig Jones clearly stole his new instructional name from SA goon numbers australian guy who made my south american ground karate patch