Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SkunkDuster posted:

I see a lot of diorama turf and stuff on the left shelf. I bought a bunch (but not that much) of stuff years and years ago but only ended up using a tiny little bit to make a base for a model. Do you have any pictures of dioramas you have made with that stuff?

I haven't done a ton of diorama stuff, but the economy of the product makes it cheaper to buy the larger tubs. My favorite dio piece I've done though was my Bandai AT-ST Walker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I haven't done a ton of diorama stuff, but the economy of the product makes it cheaper to buy the larger tubs. My favorite dio piece I've done though was my Bandai AT-ST Walker.

Whoa.

The walker is alright, but the terrain is gorgeous

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Amazing stuff!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Hey Endor buddy! The one time I used it to make a "diorama" was on the Bandai Speederbike kit, but my 5 little clumps of moss look downright pathetic next to the beautiful diorama you built. Fantastic work!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What did you use for the ferns?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Looks like these

https://spraygunner.com/ammo-by-mig...fRoC7VMQAvD_BwE

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've been watching a lot of PLASMO on youtube lately before I hit the sack, any other suggestions for channels who do good modelling/diorama work and aren't wehraboos?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Phy posted:

I've been watching a lot of PLASMO on youtube lately before I hit the sack, any other suggestions for channels who do good modelling/diorama work and aren't wehraboos?

Luke towan and laser creation world are good. Only downside of laser creation is they don’t talk and use the same music in each vid

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Phy posted:

Boylei hobby time does some good stuff and is chill.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Phy posted:

High Eye Workshop and Real Terrain Hobbies are pretty great. Both are more or less focused on the mini/warhammer scene, but they do some great dioramas and they're pretty pleasant to listen to.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bill Making Stuff is pretty good too, though he specializes less in scale modeling and more in scratch-building, heavy weathering, and telling you uncomfortable things about your dad.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Arquinsiel posted:

What did you use for the ferns?

A similar concept, but the Mig product is photoetch I believe. Mine were a japanese product called Kamizukuri, which I got from Hobbylink Japan. They're paper sheets of plants, that you paint to your desired shades, and then cut out and glue to a green wire for support.

Phy posted:

Night Shift does really nice stuff, fun to watch.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 8, 2022

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

Dammit, Jim, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! No, wait...
+1 for Night Shift. Very interesting productions, great tips and techniques.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Night Shift always comes off as holier than thou to me. Calling other peoples' work cliched or talking poo poo about how someone set up a diorama is really offputting to me.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Yeah, he's overconfident, but he's got a solid technique and is generally much harder on his own mistakes if you make it to the bloopers.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I thought Night Shift sometimes sounded cocky even when pointing out his own mistakes, but I don't think it's intentional. He's highly skilled and the video he put up about his biking accident is hilarious because he absolutely shits on himself for poor decision making.

+1 for Luke Towan who is incredibly skilled, humble, and manages to insert small bits of random silliness/humor.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Night Shift seems pretty cool and self deprecating to me. I also really enjoy his accent. His work is also very good and he uses a lot of advanced techniques you dont often see.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Night Shift's greatest crime is his disparaging of the aesthetics of French tanks.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Luke Towan's videos are brilliant, and almost meditative. I love to stick one on and just chill out when I don't have the energy to work at the bench.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I loved Sergio Solo’s videos but he stopped uploading a couple of years ago.

https://youtube.com/c/SergioSolo

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Not very in-depth and the channel seems to be a variety of things but CraftStation deserves a nod for this piece of art.

I really need to find a way to make myself get back to work on my M1A2 but :effort:

TAKEOFF Models hasn't been mentioned yet. For some reason I'm fairly meh about fixed-wing aircraft models but they do solid work. The V-22 Osprey in particular I really liked, perhaps because it's technically not fixed-wing.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 9, 2022

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
General question: how many models did you finish last year? 3. I finished 3. My new years resolution is to finish at least 8 kits/projects this year. Wish me luck. For whatever it's worth, I work in in 35th and 1/32 scale almost exclusively.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I finished zero because I'm a terrible person and just too busy to get into the hobby room these days. I did make about 10 gallons of sawdust preparing a bunch of wood for the project, but didn't actually finish anything.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

2 Tanks, one of which was a diorama. A model of the Nautilus. Threeish small dioramas and a dozen or so 28mm figures.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 10, 2022

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I’ve had this drat container ship on the bench for two years now, I might set it aside and do something else for a while.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Gewehr 43 posted:

General question: how many models did you finish last year? 3. I finished 3. My new years resolution is to finish at least 8 kits/projects this year. Wish me luck. For whatever it's worth, I work in in 35th and 1/32 scale almost exclusively.

10, but six were in 1:72nd scale or less. On the other hand, one was 1:16, so it evens out?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sixteen, not counting minis. Most of those were pretty small, though.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Gewehr 43 posted:

4, I think. MiniArt US Tractor, Italeri V22 Osprey, Revell Beetle, and AFV Club's M113. The tractor was a finicky nightmare where each track link was 3 separate parts. The Osprey and the Beetle each had about 4 parts total and were bought dirt cheap as ways to kill a little time. The M113 was the only one I was really excited to build, and I enjoyed it.

I want to do an AEC Dorchester next, but might buy some cheapo garbage kit to try out the airbrush my gf got me for Christmas before starting a project I care about.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I got 3 cars complete and another 3 partially complete. 2 of the partials are nearly complete but I've been delayed by the weather

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I started... what do you mean finish?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Last year I think I finished about 7 cars and it would have been more like 10 or 11 but I hosed up a few so bad that they just sit in the closet now.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Huh:

KA-6D
1/72 Stryker
F-8
F-4 with a skull on the tail
F/A-18F with a skull on the tail
Dutch Leopard 2
HMMVW I never really finished
really bad BMP-2
T-60 I really like
SU-24 I think is never going to actually have ordinance on it (and that's ok)
P-47 that started my spiral into 4+ months of crippling depression (Just say no to decal stripes, mask and paint whenever possible)

That's WAY more than I thought I managed.

Also I just looked at the P-47, and it's not that bad at all. I'm pumped to get started on finishing it now.

But I'm shipping out of town tomorrow, lol.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Jonny Nox posted:

P-47 that started my spiral into 4+ months of crippling depression (Just say no to decal stripes, mask and paint whenever possible)

Gospel truth right here.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm building an Academy Tomahawk IIb aka P-40C Warhawk in 1/48 right now because it's a real light and easy kit that I've been able to do while working from home

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
1/35 Merkava Mk IV and a Jagdpanzer IV.

Started the M1A2 after leaving a M3 Bradley built and primed but not painted.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I can remember watching your progress making that. It was always was a lovely piece that tied everything together for excellent effect. Lots of different skills to make one stand out finish.

I've not been here for a while. Have I missed anymore "crap tanks"?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

big_g posted:

I've not been here for a while. Have I missed anymore "crap tanks"?

pretty much everything i have posted

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

punishedkissinger posted:

pretty much everything i have posted

I've just checked your posts. You do some good things.

I really want to try that Nautilus kit.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I am currently starting a 1/350 scale WWII Jap I-400.

Amazing sub design, I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Another (mostly) 3D printed kit. Started on this one last year, but it took me ages to finish, mostly because I made it harder than necessary for myself for no reason.

whole album.

The model came in five major pieces: the grille/headlights, upper hull, roof, and two halves of the chassis. The upper hull and roof both included window pieces, so I decided to print those out in clear resin and polish them to be transparent. Bad idea, as it turns out, it's really hard to polish just the window bits without sanding down all the detail around them. I abandoned that idea and spent a few hours trying to learn Blender to cut out the window bits and then print the hull in opaque resin. That worked, except the windows made of clear plastic sheets fogged up while I was assembling it anyway. No big deal, since the interior is very basic anyway. The bigger problem came when I was trying to sand and fill the joint line between the lower chassis and upper hull. I managed to demolish all the detail here anyway. At least it's a 4x4, so I can put my armour modelling skills to use and hide my mistakes with mud.

The only part that came out the way I intended was the headlights. The secret here was clear resin polished until it was transparent. I put some tinfoil behind the grille so it looked like they were actually reflective. The end result had a blueish tint, so I painted over it with oils until it became the yellowish colour it's supposed to be. The oil also scattered the light just enough so you can't tell it's tinfoil behind the grille.

I spent way more time than I wanted to on this one, but I definitely learned a lot about 3D printed models.