Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I like the idea of X-Antibody as an evolution source that can't be removed, it adds a bit of counterplay to the obvious strategy, and could provide some neat texture to other decks that have problems with that kind of hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Is the movie or whatever X-Antibody is from worth watching?

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Some Numbers posted:

Is the movie or whatever X-Antibody is from worth watching?

I think it's more of a curio than anything else. It's (as far as I'm aware) the only animated piece of media related to the X-Antibody storyline, but the animation is very dated and the story itself is unimpressive. Watch it if you want but you can easily skip it too.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ghost Game Episode 13: Um, holy gently caress.

Well, I wasn't wrong, this episode certainly was a crossing of the Rubicon moment...

I definitely did not expect for Gulus Gammamon to be, well THAT when he showed up finally. That was scary in a completely different way. It was almost a bait and switch even, after opening with Sealdramon as a slasher killer the really scary monstrous monster this week wasn't him…

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I like how GulusGammamon isn't just a crazed dark evolution. His personality is still present, just warped.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Well that was a good episode. I love how Ghost Game presents unexpected situations every week. the knives in the head were brutal kills

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That's how you do a dark evolution episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drat good episode this week. Out of curiosity, was that still the usual Gammamon VA playing GulusGammamon?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Definitely. Miyuki did a similar voice with Kitaro when he was pissed, she has a lot of range.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Definitely. Miyuki did a similar voice with Kitaro when he was pissed, she has a lot of range.

Nice, Gammamon sounds surprisingly intimidating as a villain

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Larryb posted:

drat good episode this week. Out of curiosity, was that still the usual Gammamon VA playing GulusGammamon?

I want to say yes since unlike English dubs, Japanese Digimon series keep the same VA across all stages of a Digimon's line.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Justin_Brett posted:

That's how you do a dark evolution episode.

Well that's the thing, they've never done one like this before. Every previous dark evolution had something to do with their partner and resulted in a Digimon that to a lesser or greater extent just went berserk. Gammamon's evolution very explicitly had nothing to do with Hiro (attention is drawn to the way that the digivice's normal evolution gauge very obviously empties, THEN he evolves) and he actually had a major change in character. It's a pretty major departure from the norm that Gulus Gammamon talked at all, much less had a distinct personality. I think the most chilling thing about the episode was the way he very explicitly disconnected himself from Hiro, going as far as to call his own attacks when Hiro wouldn't. That… Kind of didn't happen in any previous case.

It makes me wonder a little about what the hell Hiro's dad is up to and why exactly he sent Gammamon to his kid. Given that the episode makes explicit the Digimon lifecycle I have to kind of wonder what kind of Digimon Gammamon might've been in his past life...

Related to that, I wonder what the over/under is on Canoweissmon evolving after Hiro somehow reconciling with Gulus Gammamon or vice-versa? Gulus Gammamon was scary, but he also was happy to talk, had a philosophy of life (eat or be eaten), and seemed content to leave in something resembling peace before the others attacked him. Given Hiro wanted to talk down Sealsdramon even with that body count, and given that Bokomon's parting words were a desire for peace and understanding it seems like the next big turning point will be Gulus Gammamon having a change of heart and accepting Hiro as his partner. It would also be a neat visual for the black Gammamon to evolve to a Digimon noted for being a bright white.

But yeah, that was a really impressive showing from Ghost Game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

I want to say yes since unlike English dubs, Japanese Digimon series keep the same VA across all stages of a Digimon's line.

Ah ok, I couldn’t remember if the Japanese version swapped out the VA for different evolutions or not.

Also we 100% have not heard the last of GulusGammamon at this point (though whether they’ll eventually be able to control it remains to be seen)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 9, 2022

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Bare in mind that the only Digimon series I've watched in Japanese prior to Ghost Game were App Monsters and Adventure reboot so I could very well be wrong but that was my understanding.

I do believe it is still Miyuki Sawashiro as GulusGammamon cause the voice is near identical, just not childish.

And yeah, seconding Omnicrom's assessment.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The episode was pretty good.

RIP Professor Bokomon… to chill for this world

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
About episode:
Gulus seems fun. It's neat to have a dark evolution that's not berserk. I wonder if, like the digivice auras in Colon, the human partner calling out the attack names provides a buff or something? Gulus being disappointed that Hiro resisted saying it makes me think that it has some kind of effect. I also liked Gulus getting irritated with people saying he's not Gammamon. "It's literally in my name idiots, GulusGammamon".

With BlackAgumon we're now up to three dangling threads alongside Old!Zassoumon and Dracmon. Of course it's possible that Black Agumon won't be antagonistic.

About preview:
Excited for Koemon/Monmon next week. Love that little guy.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Koemon hasn't had a starring role in...

ever, hasn't it been?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

Koemon hasn't had a starring role in...

ever, hasn't it been?

He had a tiny cameo in Colon and he was one of the starter Digimon you could get in Digimon World 3, beyond that not really

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I feel the fact that we learned about the Digimon life cycle in this episode isn't just because it's the first episode where someone died. It's trying to guide us towards understanding just what's up with Gammamon.

My personal theory right now is that, in the past, he rampaged around the Digital World as GulusGammamon, before he was defeated and turned back into a Digitama (by Hokuto and BlackTailmon Uver, perhaps). Afterwards, Hokuto took the Digitama and raised the reborn Gammamon as his son in order to not allow him to go down the same path again, especially because he was aware that the Gulus personality had not been erased by his death. Giving Gammamon to Hiro was part of said plan, as a way to have Gammamon mature properly with a Tamer of his own. Betel, Kaus and Wezen are the proof that he can go down entirely different paths thanks to Hiro - but Gulus is still inside him, and resurfaced once Gammamon lost control of his emotions due to Bokomon's death. Fittingly, it's the only evolution where the human seems totally unimportant in, Hiro is not shown in the evolution sequence and the HP gauge of the Digivice-V-, which seems to indicate their bond, actually drained to zero.

Spoilers for as-of-yet unseen evolutions,

I agree with Omnicrom. Hiro may have to actually have both sides of Gammamon make peace with each other, as well as properly befriending Gulus, for his Perfect-level evolution. Canoweissmon is specifically white, which I originally took as it being merely the convergence of the other colours, but it may be there as well as an opposite to Gulus' black.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

quote:

Greymon X-Antibody
[Digivolve: from [Greymon] for 0 Cost]
---
Inherited: [All Turns] If an effect would delete this Digimon with [Greymon] or [Omegamon] in its name, or return it to its owner's hand or deck, you may prevent it from leaving play by discarding 2 cards with same Lv. in this card's digivolution cards.

quote:

Okuwamon X-Antibody
[Digivolve: from [Okuwamon] for 0]
[When Digivolving] If this Digimon has an [Okuwamon] or [X-Antibody] digivolution card, suspend 1 of your opponent's Digimon. Then, if this Digimon is attacking, you may switch the target of the attack to 1 of your opponent's suspended Digimon.
[Your Turn] When this Digimon would digivolve into a Digimon card with [Insectoid] in its traits, reduce the cost of the digivolution by 1.

quote:

GrandisKuwagamon

[Digivolve: from [GranKuwagamon] for 1]

[When Digivolving] Suspend 1 of your opponent's Digimon. Then, if this Digimon is attacking, you may switch the target of the attack to 1 of your opponent's suspended Digimon.

[Your Turn] This Digimon gets +4000 DP.

[End of Attack] (Once Per Turn) When this Digimon has [GranKuwagamon] or [X-Antibody] in its digivolution cards, suspend 1 of your opponent's Digimon and unsuspend this Digimon.

X-Antibody are weird, as expected

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Is there like an "X-Antibody" card that you can play in the middle of attacking to evolve a digimon into its x-antibody form?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

The Golux posted:

Is there like an "X-Antibody" card that you can play in the middle of attacking to evolve a digimon into its x-antibody form?

Check my previous posts. Short answer, no, but there’s an X-Antibody card that you play under a regular Digimon that lets them evolve into an X-Antibody form when they attack

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

ah OK that's a pretty neat mechanic

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Theoretically, does Greymon X let your Omnimon X durvive an All Delete? I feel like you'd need two pairs of evolution cards, one to not go to your hand and one to not be deleted after, but if you can pull it off somehow . . .

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

The Bee posted:

Theoretically, does Greymon X let your Omnimon X durvive an All Delete? I feel like you'd need two pairs of evolution cards, one to not go to your hand and one to not be deleted after, but if you can pull it off somehow . . .

My guess is that because it’s a cost to return Omnimon back to your hand, not an effect, that combo would not be legal

But the conditions are pretty easy to get. Greymon X on top of Greymon, and MetalGreymon Alterous Mode on top of MetalGreymon. There’s a decent chance we’ll see the whole Greymon X line too

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Are the x-antibody digimon from a manga? Ive never seen them in the games outside like, Alphamon i guess, which im not super clear lorewise how all that follows

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

mandatory lesbian posted:

Are the x-antibody digimon from a manga? Ive never seen them in the games outside like, Alphamon i guess, which im not super clear lorewise how all that follows

Essentially there's two types of X-Antibody Digimon, "native" ones that normally don't have an indicator of that status in their name as they were introduced as part of that era(such as Alphamon), and then you have all the X-Antibody Digimon that are variants of pre-existing ones(which is why they normally have an X at the end of their name), for whatever reason Bandai and Toei have been pretty reluctant about including the latter types in anything besides the card games or V-Pets, hence why Alphamon and a few others tend to be the only ones to show up in anything

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

They're from the Pendulum X virtual pet that came out after Frontier and had its own (somewhat vague) story. The card game at the time featured all that stuff and introduced X digimon of its own, and there was a really bad looking CGI movie based on the general premise. There wasn't a manga about it in Japan, but China got one.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Basically in the story of the Pendulum X toys, Digimon Chronicle, the server that the Digital World is in was getting pretty old and full so Yggdrasil had trouble handling the load. This caused a Digital Hazard (what that is is unexplained but Megidramon almost caused one in Digimon Tamers so it’s not good). Yggdrasil decided to start a new server and brought over the ones it chose to survive. It tried to delete the rest using the X Program. Eventually the strongest Digimon evolved to deal with the X Program, developing the X-Antibody. The X-Antibody is stored in the Digimon’s core, which is essentially the Digimon’s code/soul, so it fundamentally changed the Digimon that gained it. Also, if a Digimon killed someone with the X-Antibody, the killer could take the X-Antibody for themselves. This makes babies and rookies that have the antibody targets for violence by Digimon that don’t want to die to the X Program.

The X-Antibody is tied to survival instincts, so if a Digimon with the X-Antibody’s instincts goes haywire, so does the Antibody, causing them to “transcend mortality.” Basically that means if you kill a carrier when they’re desperate enough, they can actually evolve into a horrible monster (the only case of this is Dorumon line becoming the Death-X-Dorugamon line) which doesn’t actually a have a digicore (on account of dying) so it goes berserk and tries to kill and eat any Digimon nearby.

The story of Digimon Chronicle and the movie Death X Evolution aren’t exactly good but they did introduce the concept of Yggdrasil to the franchise as well as giving the first look at what the Royal Knights are as an entity; a group of powerful vaguely knight themes Digimon led by Omnimon that answer to Yggdrasil with Alphamon as a hidden member given the autonomy to stop the rest and even Yggdrasil if they go too far

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

While they aren't FROM a manga as previous posts said, there are some manga specifically based around X-Antibody Digimon, namely D-Cyber and Digimon Chronicle. Both are pretty bad, but Chronicle is a super fast read (because it was made as a complement to the V-Pets rather than its own story) and in full colour if you just want to see some designs, and D-Cyber is terrible in every way which makes it an absolute blast to read (the art is horrendous, the story makes no sense, Digimon jump through evolution levels basically at random, it's great)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/digimon_tcg_en/status/1480947613738442753?s=21

Not cool tcg Twitter

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:magical:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Thank you all for your answers! I am a bit...surprised they seemed to have largely been contained to the lore of a toy series outside some rare appearances. I hope maybe they decide to the world/story series get some of them, i do think a lot of the variants are very cool looking

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Also very cool thats where yggdrasil and the royal knights came from!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

quote:

Magnamon X-Antibody
[Digivolve: 4 from [Magnamon]]
[Opponents Turn] When your opponent's Digimon attacks, if this Digimon has [X-Antibody] or a card with [Armor Form] in its traits in its digivolution cards, you may change the attack target to this card.
[All Turns] When this Digimon would be deleted, you may place the top card of this Digimon at the top of your Security Stack face down to prevent that deletion.

quote:

The Awakening of Gold Digizoid

If you have a Digimon with [Armor] in its traits, you may use this card ignoring the Color Requirements.

[Main] 1 of your Digimon with [Armor] in its traits may Digivolve into a Digimon card with [Magnamon] in its name from your hand ignoring the Digivolution Requirements without paying cost. The Digimon Digivolved with this effect does not get reduced its DP by opponent's effects until the next time your opponent's turn ends.
---
[Security] Return 1 card with [Magnamon] in its name from your trash to your hand, and add this card to your hand.

Magnamon X is one of my least favorite X-Antibody designs. A lot of the X-Antibody designs are just “Digimon, but edgier” or “Digimon, but more” and I don’t think many of them look good! The card effect’s neat, though.

There’s also Pegasusmon and Nefertimon cards announced but they aren’t interesting art or effect wise.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Magnamon X looks like a Gundam wearing Hulk hands.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I like magnamon x :unsmith:

I like most x-antibody designs that aren't megas, though; megas tend to be hit or miss but everything below mega has a better chance of being okay.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It probably doesn't help that I don't like Magnamon's design to begin with.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

girl dick energy posted:

It probably doesn't help that I don't like Magnamon's design to begin with.

Yeah. I think X is an improvement over base, which is just kinda long veemon with gold plate imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Leraika posted:

Yeah. I think X is an improvement over base, which is just kinda long veemon with gold plate imho.

To be fair that describes a lot of V-mon's Armor evolutions(as well as Holsmon, Pegasmon, and Nefertimon), and considering how Armor Evolution is supposed to work in 02(where it's essentially a pseudo evolution with a much more limited boost to power than true evolution) that makes more sense than the Armor forms that don't really share much visually with who they're supposed to be evolved from(mostly the non show ones but arguably Digmon and Shurimon as well)