Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I love the Junon music, I can’t wait for the fully orchestrated version in FFVIIR pt II. Also Cloud giving CPR to a little girl before riding a dolphin… in HD.

Edit: I’m resetting to try and steal a Zodiac Spear from this giant mantis on lv 62 of Trial Mode and wondering if it’s worth the aggravation. The ribbon was absolutely worth it but eh I feel like the spear might make some of the side quests too easy.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I gave up on the Zodiac Spear then got an Excalibur from a Humbaba Mistant on my first try because why would anything make sense? I made it to trail 70 and that’s as far as I’m going for now.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
final fantasy 7's random and never seen again minigames own

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

final fantasy 7's random and never seen again minigames own

One thing I've really enjoyed about FF7R so far is that it's determined to throw random-rear end minigames at you constantly too

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Aren't all the FF7 minigames basically their original experiments with developing for the PlayStation which they decided to utilize by skinning them as arcade games or shoehorning some reason for them to be relevant

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Chillgamesh posted:

One thing I've really enjoyed about FF7R so far is that it's determined to throw random-rear end minigames at you constantly too

FF7 Remake Part 3: Mog House

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cloud spends a good 15 seconds inhaling before spewing all that air into a little girl's lungs with all his might. This is a fun minigame.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Cloud spends a good 15 seconds inhaling before spewing all that air into a little girl's lungs with all his might. This is a fun minigame.

It works!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So many parts of FF7 make it hard to replay:

The first five hours that are fantastic in story, and completely linear in gameplay.

Why do people act like linearity is inherently bad

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

*growing increasingly impatient with a book as the pages only turn left and right*

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I only read Choose Your Own Adventure books because other books are too linear, your choices mean nothing. :argh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gold Saucer v2 to ~Aerith Dies~/End of Disc 1

Not much to say about the second Gold Saucer visit. I ended up with Tifa as the date despite not particularly trying for it.

The Temple of the Ancients is the last time Aerith is a permanent party member. I decided to finish off the gimmick run by leaving her dead throughout, which was a handicap but not a particularly crippling one. Trine and Beta do a fantastic job at mook-clearing and Cloud cleans up. I got Morph which is nice to have though at the moment not super effective. I could theoretically use it later to grind Sources if I want. (Another part of the reason why this run is not a "can I win" but "What's the minimum grinding I can do to win" run.)

Demon Wall was surprisingly rough. 2 characters, no healing magic and limited options ended up making it tighter than I expected. Cloud did the majority of the damage with Deathblow hitting a shocking amount of times in a row. Probably would have been better to swap out Vincent for Barret or something but eh. I actually ended up using Death Gigas as Gigadunk did nice reliable damage.

So I totally forgot that post-TotA Cloud wakes up in Gongaga. Honestly if the remake is going to reintroduce Zack that is exactly the place I'd bet on it. Bone Village to Jenova are all fairly straightforward. Jenova basically melts under Beta and Deathblows plus some backup magic damage from Barret.

I know symbolism and all Cloud but maybe you could have checked with Aerith's mom about where she might want a burial instead of throwing her in a lake in the middle of nowhere. Going to make it hard to visit.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Gold Saucer v2 to ~Aerith Dies~/End of Disc 1

Not much to say about the second Gold Saucer visit. I ended up with Tifa as the date despite not particularly trying for it.

The Temple of the Ancients is the last time Aerith is a permanent party member. I decided to finish off the gimmick run by leaving her dead throughout, which was a handicap but not a particularly crippling one. Trine and Beta do a fantastic job at mook-clearing and Cloud cleans up. I got Morph which is nice to have though at the moment not super effective. I could theoretically use it later to grind Sources if I want. (Another part of the reason why this run is not a "can I win" but "What's the minimum grinding I can do to win" run.)

Demon Wall was surprisingly rough. 2 characters, no healing magic and limited options ended up making it tighter than I expected. Cloud did the majority of the damage with Deathblow hitting a shocking amount of times in a row. Probably would have been better to swap out Vincent for Barret or something but eh. I actually ended up using Death Gigas as Gigadunk did nice reliable damage.

So I totally forgot that post-TotA Cloud wakes up in Gongaga. Honestly if the remake is going to reintroduce Zack that is exactly the place I'd bet on it. Bone Village to Jenova are all fairly straightforward. Jenova basically melts under Beta and Deathblows plus some backup magic damage from Barret.

I know symbolism and all Cloud but maybe you could have checked with Aerith's mom about where she might want a burial instead of throwing her in a lake in the middle of nowhere. Going to make it hard to visit.

What's your take on Cloud's freakout after he hands over the Black Materia? Do you think he's supposed to be attacking Aerith? It really doesn't look like it to me but I've seen this argument pop up a few times here, especially now with the remake and people wondering what he'll do in glorious HD.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I can't remember what else influences it but keeping Aeris out of the party unless the game forces you to have her would definitely have made a Tifa date more likely

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Why do people act like linearity is inherently bad

Linear in the sense that you can barely play around with materia yet.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Linear in the sense that you can barely play around with materia yet.

... I don't know if I played a different game to everyone else. But I wasn't actually able to properly gently caress around with Materia until the Northern Crater. Till then the most complex stuff you could do... wasn't.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

By the time I could play around with all those crazy combinations inFF7, the game was over. AP gain was far too slow.

FF6 did it better by having the pace of combat be faster, and the AP needed to learn spells was incredibly low.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Icicle Inn to Highwind

Kinda sucks for Aerith that she dies right before she finds her hometown.

I choose to do the left-left in the Snowboard segment because it is the one I'm most familiar with. I take the time to grab Added Cut (for Cloud to go with Deathblow), Alexander, and manage to grab a Circlet from the Alexander miniboss for Vincent.

Deathblow + Added Cut basically nullifies any real downside to Deathblow. Even if you miss you still get a bonus attack and if you don't miss you get a bonus attack. It's not a combo I've ever really used before since Added Cut usually has better options. Since I picked up Comet in the City of the Ancients I've decided to throw Yuffie in my team for a bit. Like Red XIII I'm primarily using her to farm up All materia so that I can end my money problems forever.,

In Gaea's Cliff I get another E. Skill almost by accident when Magic Breath shockingly almost wipes my party. Had Cloud not survived I would have been fuuuucked. Might be a bit underleveled or maybe I just misremembered how hard it hits. Regardless I now have that power on my side, though the MP cost means it's basically only for boss fights.

I grab my second RIbbon (the first being from Temple of the Ancients) which effectively means status effects are a nonissue for the foreseeable future. The Circlet on Vincent also means his Limits are hitting hilariously hard should I need to use them. I wish to god I had Magic Hammer for that precious MP restore but thankfully Beta is MP-efficient enough that it isn't usually a huge issue. I also get Bad Breath which is never bad to have.

The boss, sigh "Schizo" is another one where I just feel the lack of healing. Yuffie's Comet and Vincent's Trine both deal shitloads of damage but they take a ton in return too. Cloud is tossing out potions nonstop. I win but it's costly. However this should be the last fight I have to do without healing magic from here on out.

That is why the *next* part was almost painful. I forgot Tifa is a required party member during the Whirlwind Maze which means I can't have both Cid and Vincent in my party. Thankfully what I did have is Loco Weed. I only had two but that was enough to get the Wind Wing enemy to give me a cost of White Wind. At long last my long national healing nightmare is over.

Which makes it all the more hilarious that Jenova Death is so easy I didn't even need to heal. She absolutely melted under Deathblow/Magic Breath/Punches.

After that everything goes to complete poo poo. Cloud is out of my party for the foreseeable future which is actually fairly painful since he's one of my best damage dealers. Tifa gets to inherit all of his HP + materia though which means she is a giant wall of HP beef. Yuffie also finally gets Clear Tranquil here which gives her more utility. It's not as dependable as White Wind but since it's a level 1 limit break it's still fairly dependable. (To be honest I've been so used to completely ignoring it in regular playthroughs I didn't think about how effective it could be.)

A few slaps to Scarlet's face and the Highwind is mine. Sidequests ahoy!

NikkolasKing posted:

What's your take on Cloud's freakout after he hands over the Black Materia? Do you think he's supposed to be attacking Aerith? It really doesn't look like it to me but I've seen this argument pop up a few times here, especially now with the remake and people wondering what he'll do in glorious HD.

It really does look/sound like he's attacking her to me but one this FF7's cutscenes make clear is that figuring out WTF people are supposed to be doing at times is not easy.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I remember thinking that it kind of looked like Sephiroth was trying to make Cloud attack Aerith but he was fighting it internally.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
These are the party members' reactions to what Cloud is doing after the Temple:

quote:

Barret
HEY! Cloud, you #$#&@!

Tifa
Cloud, what are you doing!?

Nanaki
Aeris, are you all right!?

Yuffie
Aeris! Cloud, what're you doing!?

Cait Sith
Cloud!! What are you doin'!!

Vincent
Cloud!

Cid
Cloud! What the hell are you doing?

Red XIII's reaction of asking Aerith if she's alright makes it pretty obvious he was attacking her. He may not have been beating the poo poo out of her or anything, and he may have been desperately trying to hold himself back, but as far as I'm concerned Red's line makes it indisputable that he has attacked her in some manner.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chocobo Breeding to Infinite Power

Now it is time to achieve apotheosis.

First thing's first. I fly to Goblin Island, learn Goblin Punch, and steal a Zeio Nut.
Then I fly to Icicle Area and steal two Carbo Nuts and capture a Wonderful Chocobo
Go to Mideel and capture a Great chocobo.
Save outside, hard reset to adjust RNG.
Load, go in, move Great (female) and Wonderful (Male) into barn'
Save, hard reset, go back in, feed them one green, give them a Carob Nut. Boom, Blue Female
Go outside, fight six battles, save, hard reset, go in, feed any chocobo 50 greens, mate the Good/Wonderful again for a Green Male.
8 battles, then go in and mate the Blue and Green 'bos with a Saraha Nut for a Black.
Go out, fight 3 battles, go back in and mate the Black with the original Wonderful with the Zeio Nut. Boom. Golden Chocobo.

Oh, what's that? I now have Knights of the Round within about an hour of getting the Highwind? Well, okay! Welcome to godhood, Barret.

This also lets me get Quad Magic, Mime and HP <-> MP materias. Admittedly none of those are strictly necessary at this point but I figure I'll hold off using KotR for a bit just to keep things interesting. Effectively though I've won the game except Ruby and Emerald. I can't actually get Vincent his limit and 'ultimate' weapon just yet but they're just plot away

Edit:
I also can visit the Ancient Forest which is my next step. It's largely a puzzle dungeon that I somehow still have mostly memorized. The big gets from here are Slash-All (which means Tifa can FINALLY use HP-Absorb), a Minerva Band (going on Tifa for the moment since it's only her or Yuffie), the Typhon Materia (kinda worthless now but hey) and the Apocalypse for Cloud whenever he rejoins.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 9, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

NikkolasKing posted:

I bet they’ll show him go through some poo poo amd have a minor breakdown or crisis (core) and aerith tries to help and he shoves her aside hard enough she falls on the ground and they all say “cloud what are you doing”

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Chillgamesh posted:

FF7R owns and i cant wait for the gold saucer...

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I really liked that rts mini game where you deploy little catapults or whatever and defended a few lanes with a point-buy system, as janky as it was

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I can't wait to see the struggle of getting two chocobos to gently caress reimagined in glorious Ninth-Gen graphics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jokes posted:

I really liked that rts mini game where you deploy little catapults or whatever and defended a few lanes with a point-buy system, as janky as it was

Good news! It's back! In pog form!
(It appears in the DLC for the Remake as a board game people play.)

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

What's the best way to learn Beta from the snake early?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

If you want to learn it as soon as you get to the snake, well first Fire + Element is required of course. You'll want someone with high Spirit, and make sure they have the Talisman on too since that raises Spirit by an additional 10. Put them in the back row as well so they take less damage from the snake's bites. Then you just fight the snake, but make sure whoever you want to learn Beta is not attacking. That's because the snake is more likely to kick out characters that are dealing damage to it.

Make sure you inflict poison, because the snake has 4000 HP and won't use Beta until it gets below 1500 HP. You only have to worry about single target attacks for most of the fight that you can heal up with Cure as long as you have one character dedicated to casting it every turn. Just attack with one character, heal with the other, and hope that when the snake ejects someone, it's the attacker character. Then once you learn Beta, you can immediately have the one who learned it cast it in response and finish the snake.

If you're still having trouble with someone surviving Beta even with their Spirit high and Fire + Element, another thing you can do is fight the Eledunk enemies around the chocobo farm and have them inflict Sadness on a character (I don't think you can buy Tranquilizers at this point, though if you have one using it on a character without Fury will give them Sadness too). Sadness will decrease damage the character takes and deals by 30%. That should make Beta completely survivable, and as long as their magic stat is decent, the 30% damage penalty shouldn't prevent you from being able to finish it off with your own Beta.

e: Also it's a lot of RNG, since you have to hope the snake kicks out the right character, and also that it even casts Beta in the first place. I think it only casts Beta in response to direct damage (not poison) when it's below 1500 but it's still not a guarantee and you can have a lot of wasted fights where it just refuses to cast Beta.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are everyone allowed to use attack items for the FF7 fiesta?

Golden Goat posted:

Fight the enemies in the cave after outrunning the snake and get your Limit leveled. Limits level depending on your kill count and usage count. It is also the fastest place early on to level materia. Have your Limits ready on everyone and reduce his health enough so it uses Beta and then take it to the Limit.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 9, 2022

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is it the general consensus that giving each Bangaa 10 trophies in the hunt club quest is the best way to do it? Seems like being able to get both a Zodiac Spear and Escutcheon would be worth it the million Gil. I guess being able to get a ribbon/genji gloves would also be good!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is it the general consensus that giving each Bangaa 10 trophies in the hunt club quest is the best way to do it? Seems like being able to get both a Zodiac Spear and Escutcheon would be worth it the million Gil. I guess being able to get a ribbon/genji gloves would also be good!

I personally think that 10/10/10 is the best way to distribute them, but everyone who posts on GameFAQs and Reddit will tell you 20 to Stok for Genji Gloves and a free Ribbon. Honestly I feel like two Genji Gloves and two Ribbons is plenty, and would rather have the guaranteed Zodiac Spear/Escutcheon. People will say it's not that bad to get the spear in this version, but even if chests respawn one zone away, it's still a 1% chance which means statistically speaking you still have to open 100 chests. Personally I value my time far more than that.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I ran back and forth to get that Zodiac Spear for a long time. That place is deadly and it took like ten runs back and forth before monsters stopped spawning on the way there. I don't really think it was worth it. A rare chest in a postgame-leveled area like that was just pure awful. I don't know if I even ended up using it!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I personally think that 10/10/10 is the best way to distribute them, but everyone who posts on GameFAQs and Reddit will tell you 20 to Stok for Genji Gloves and a free Ribbon. Honestly I feel like two Genji Gloves and two Ribbons is plenty, and would rather have the guaranteed Zodiac Spear/Escutcheon. People will say it's not that bad to get the spear in this version, but even if chests respawn one zone away, it's still a 1% chance which means statistically speaking you still have to open 100 chests. Personally I value my time far more than that.

The chest respawn has nothing to do with that. It's not as bad to get the spear in TZA because it's a relatively easy steal in Trial Mode. :v:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Lotus Aura posted:

The chest respawn has nothing to do with that. It's not as bad to get the spear in TZA because it's a relatively easy steal in Trial Mode. :v:

It’s probably the most annoying steal because you have to run through that huge room to find that mantis. The Ribbon is probably the easiest steal because Hasmal is two feet in front of you when you reload.

I am happy that I got an Excalibur even though I wasn’t trying! Holy is very good. Although I gotta wonder why you don’t get a single Earth elemental tech/spell the entire game.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Started playing FF6 T-edition a few days ago and I have a question: Apparently I just sold the Shiny Thing; have I screwed myself out of getting the water dance? I don't need to know the details if there's hack content that provides another opportunity, a simple yes/no will suffice.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Don't know about anything that hack changes, but in the OG version, you can learn the dance either by riding the raft down Lethe River or by taking the swim through the Serpent Trench. (And in the Advance version, you can also learn it in the WoR when fighting Leviathan.)

So even if the hack has forever locked you out of the Serpent Trench for some reason best known to itself, if you can still get Mog to the Lethe River raft ride and still get random encounters there, those will still do the trick.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Started playing FF6 T-edition a few days ago and I have a question: Apparently I just sold the Shiny Thing; have I screwed myself out of getting the water dance? I don't need to know the details if there's hack content that provides another opportunity, a simple yes/no will suffice.

No you're fine. You can still jump in the trench without it.

html guide that comes with the back posted:

Selling it does not stop you from diving into the Serpent Trench.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Soooo can I start playing FF14 yet? Are the servers done catching on fire?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If you currently have the game queue times have gone down to reasonable levels.

If you do not currently have the game no sorry it is still unbuyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
I bought a secondhand physical copy of ARR and the first 2 expansions for PS4? Have I bought it in the eyes of Squenix or no?