Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Sir Lemming posted:

Batman Forever has the worst villain portrayals of the franchise for sure. Riddler barely riddles, he kind of just... Jim Carreys.

Yeah. I can't sanction that buffoonery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I will be honest I never really got why people liked Jim when he was just going fill him.

It’s not very funny

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The producers knew exactly what they were getting when the got Carrey to be the Riddler. I'm pretty sure the only direction he was given was "just do all those funny things you did in Ace Ventura and the Mask and don't worry about anything else". He was hired to play a Jim Carrey character and that's it. Jones on the other had is inexcusable. It's okay when a serious actor decides to ham it up but it really came across as pity and pathetic as it looked like one actor was pissed off at another actor for outhamming him. Jones was playing less a character and more of a 4 year old trying to out tantrum their sibling.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah. I can't sanction that buffoonery.

It's interesting that TLJ would say that, then buffoon it up himself. Makes me wonder if he was pushed into acting that way.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

live with fruit posted:

It's interesting that TLJ would say that, then buffoon it up himself. Makes me wonder if he was pushed into acting that way.

Yeah, and it really is the more embarrassing performance of the two. He pulled that kind of thing off much better in Under Siege.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The impression I'm getting from the trailers is that this film is going to be more like Batman: Year One than Batman Begins ended up being. I know originally when Darren Aronofsky was going direct it was going to be in more of the Year One direction.

They are also clearly going for Seven vibes with all of the Riddler stuff, which I think works. Plus Paul Dano is generally very good.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
When I was a kid a local channel was running both Batman TAS and 60's Batman so Batman and Robin coming out and being a tonal flip from like Batman 89 and especially Returns didn't seem super weird. I was also 10 so when Batman and Robin started ice skating in the diamond and dinosaur exhibit I was pretty happy

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Batman Forever has the best soundtrack

Batman & Robin has some great artist picks too. You just have to ignore that the main hit from that album was "Gotham City".....by r kelly.

"Moaner" by Underworld is an absolute 10 minute mindfuck of a banger tho, I totally understand why it's the second to last track on the album. It features another version of the Smashing Pumpkins song at the end (which had a second life as a song for a Watchmen trailer).

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Always happy to welcome another movie to the list of "Paul Dano gets horribly beat up"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Mierenneuker posted:

It features another version of the Smashing Pumpkins song at the end (which had a second life as a song for a Watchmen trailer).

They played that song on their last tour, whereas the "main" version only got played a dozen times 25 years ago.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Madkal posted:

Jones on the other had is inexcusable. It's okay when a serious actor decides to ham it up but it really came across as pity and pathetic as it looked like one actor was pissed off at another actor for outhamming him. Jones was playing less a character and more of a 4 year old trying to out tantrum their sibling.

I mean Jones is a good enough actor he probably could of pulled of something if not good at least interesting if he had the direction or writing. The only comedy he's really done is Men in black and Small soldiers, where he parodying being serious. Serious and comedically over the top serious seems to be his thing. In the comics Two faces is usually portrayed as intensely seriously, have him go at it from that angel could of really worked, particularly putting him in the straight man role against carrey, but not really to any affect.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

dr_rat posted:

The only comedy he's really done is Men in black and Small soldiers, where he parodying being serious.

How soon we forget (this was honestly the best quality I could seem to find):

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

live with fruit posted:

Considering Returns made less money than 89, the clear direction the studio was demanding was “more Nicholson, less DeVito” with the villains, leading to both of them going “oh, Christmas ham levels of scenery chewing, got it”

I’m guessing merch sales for having two villains was better in the end than for having just one, which is how we ended up with a villain tag team again. Split the difference sort of stuff, have multiple villains but don’t, y’know, give six year olds nightmares about a flipper man who lives in the sewers with a clown gang coming to kidnap them because they’re first borns

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So are we finally going to find out what makes Batman Batman?

You might be surprised to learn it involves pearls bouncing in a poorly lit, dirty alley.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Batman's always like "I'm Batman" but how does he know?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

It's his name innit

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
All these movies are trying to put the Man in Batman, but maybe they should focus on putting the Bat in Batman. Makes you think

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Wonder woman once tied him up in her lasso of truth and asked him his real name. He replied "Batman".

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

kdrudy posted:

You might be surprised to learn it involves pearls bouncing in a poorly lit, dirty alley.

The trend away from the Waynes being sympathetic dogooders to one percenter assholes is something interesting Batman movies are doing, like in Joker and maybe The Batman based on the ads.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean it’s not terribly intersting because Bruce’s parents aren’t terribly important.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean it’s not terribly intersting because Bruce’s parents aren’t terribly important.

They're pretty important in Begins and Joker and at least one great episode of TAS.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Two mediocre movies isn’t a very good case for em.

Plus what if thing but evil is rarely intersting anyway

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
All right! We get it. You're a negative Nancy.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

hes telling himself. its a mantra

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I watched Returns recently for the first time in like 30 years, and I was amazed at how much of that movie either flew over my head or was just ignored when I was a kid. DeVito's Penguin was a super creepy sex pest, like he spends 80% of the movie skeeving on Catwoman or literally any woman he shares a scene with, grunting and making innuendos nonstop.

I appreciated Walken a lot more this time around, but then he's great in anything.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What if he was in deep introspection and the superstitious criminals misheard

W-what AAAARE YOUUUU?!

*woefully* "I'm bad, man..."

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Madkal posted:

All these movies are trying to put the Man in Batman, but maybe they should focus on putting the Bat in Batman. Makes you think

Manbat movie when

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Madkal posted:

The Harley Quinn animated series implies that he's putting the man in the Bat if you follow

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like how that show can make jokes about Batman loving bats but isn't allowed to reference Batman performing oral sex on Catwoman.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Batman doesn't do four things:

1. Kill
2. Use guns
3. Go down
4. Sit

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/adam_piron/status/1479703677564641288?t=RUWsyJMkNxby_sxDyDjgZA&s=19

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Now that I've seen a full body photo of the Riddler I understand the hood and the outside the mask glasses.

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1480013969620299776?t=eDft6uawA6tPiLiiaPdyWA&s=19

Dude's the Zodiac Killer

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Looks so dumb. Just, oh my god, so dumb.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Riddler is just asking questions about election integrity.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like it

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It looks like gimp Mushmouth.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

This Batman seems to be leaning in on the grim dark stuff which just never works for Batman

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You mean his entire character?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
that question mark isn't quite at the level of the joker walking into the tattoo parlour and asking to get Damaged HAHAHAHAHAHAH inked on but it's not a million miles off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Who would play a good Adam West-style Batman in a modern reboot?

Hamm jumps to mind, naturally, but I'm sure there are better options out there who aren't pushing 50.