Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Lastgirl posted:

is a doctor allowed to say "assload" on twitter

is this peer-reviewed terminology when handling scientific data on the novel coronavirus 19? :crossarms:

only doctors whos specialty is the rear end or the contents of the rear end, so proctologists and doctors of philosophy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Come And See posted:

For those of you with 3M respirators, what have you done with the exhalation valve? Cover it with a cut out square of cloth surgical mask? N95? Do you use tape? Elastic band?

I bought a 7502 and found this 3D print to make a piece that fits into the exhaust valve nicely. Friends of mine printed two of them up for about .25 cents in filament. It fits solidly in, all you need at that point is a piece of filter material to put in the frame.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Which think tank released the ‘Covidian’ memo?

I’ve seen a bunch of ghouls forcing it in the past couple of weeks.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Rah! posted:

cum infections
cum hospitalizations
cum deaths

:jackbud::theroni:

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Lastgirl posted:

Johnny Omicronic

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

I had to check, but lmaooooo

https://twitter.com/mattbc/status/1479637131748380672

She should be apologizing and correcting herself on TV buuuuuuuuuut the opticssss

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Captain Magic posted:

NYT Headline:

“THE USA HAS COLLAPSED: Here’s why it’s not as bad as you think.”

lol. lmao.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

why do people think covid is gonna collapse the US. India used all the wood in the country to burn the dead; they're still trucking, and they have an actual communist party and even know how to general strike worth a drat.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Steve Yun posted:

Do you have stares outside your house

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lenin Stimpy posted:

Is there any good reason I have YET to hear any official from ANY country recommend the use of elastomeric respirators with p100 (or equiv) filters for the public?

Kind of.

They’re not manufactured in nearly the numbers of disposable respirators.

https://twitter.com/wsbgnl/status/1472465392442306562

The obvious way to handle this is get every healthcare worker into one, providing maximum protection and freeing up the disposables for everyone else, but that would mean admitting that COVID is airborne and that it isn’t going to go away any day now.

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

Rated PG-34 posted:

why do people think covid is gonna collapse the US. India used all the wood in the country to burn the dead; they're still trucking, and they have an actual communist party and even know how to general strike worth a drat.

Have you ever seen an American keyboard toucher do manual labor before?

Those are the only people that will be left.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
omg WA daily cases just jumped 300%.

it's 3 cases

they were all already in isolation/quarantine

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Rated PG-34 posted:

We don't really have those last two things

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Grabnar posted:

and when the last Uber Eats driver perishes all the computer touchers will die of starvation

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Ragequit posted:

Half of everyone that gets COVID are going to experience long term affects, like getting dumber. We are in for some wild times.

https://twitter.com/chactivist/status/1479842601561989127?s=21
stolen from drumf thread
50% long covid for adults is good right
2% long covid for kids is at least low

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

Johnny Omicronic

Jesus Christ :eyepop:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Grabnar posted:

IIRC somebody in this thread said 1/3 of Americans have no idea how to use a lighter

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

https://twitter.com/BadBirchBotanic/status/1479956652283645953

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

the cdc is a trustworthy and reputable source for all things covid

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Covid Dispersal Center

Center for Defending Capital

Capital Doesn’t Care

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/Jules31415/status/1478783097403547648

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Palladium posted:

IIRC somebody in this thread said 1/3 of Americans have no idea how to use a lighter

how is this possible :psyduck:

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Kind of.

They’re not manufactured in nearly the numbers of disposable respirators.

https://twitter.com/wsbgnl/status/1472465392442306562

The obvious way to handle this is get every healthcare worker into one, providing maximum protection and freeing up the disposables for everyone else, but that would mean admitting that COVID is airborne and that it isn’t going to go away any day now.

https://twitter.com/AbraarKaran/status/1476673083905699849

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

look we’ve got a million people dead, 750,000 of which were broken already in some way, like a dog you adopt during a pandemic but just can’t figure out how to get it to stop barking…the other 250,000? well…look it’s a numbers game really so

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Lawlicaust posted:

Covid Dispersal Center

Center for Defending Capital

Capital Doesn’t Care

corpse disposal center

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

and by cdc, i mean cspam's daily covid posts

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Palladium posted:

corpse disposal center

no that doesn’t work as it implies some level of competence and public service

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

Palladium posted:

I believe it, I work with people that I’m amazed can breathe and walk at the same time. I taught one of my coworkers how to read an analogue clock.

We make chemicals lethal at 10 ppm.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Rauros posted:

and by cdc, i mean cspam's daily covid posts

:mods:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lol she takes it off as soon as the video starts

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

NoDamage posted:

The bingo card floating around Twitter was made from a list of overall comorbidities (as in the people that died from COVID-19 were also diagnosed with X in their medical records) but that is not the same as the list of risk factors being discussed in the 75% quote.

(That's why that list has stuff like acne and lactose intolerance in it.)

Can you imagine dying of covid and your doctor writes “SHORT STATURE” on your chart under comorbidities? lol

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Thailand used to quarantine arrivals (nationals and non-nationals) for around 14 days, eventually dropping it down to 10, then 7, then 10, then 3, then 1, then whatever because people kept skipping the lenient waiting period to get their arrival test results back. Their Delta variant numbers were a bit over 20k cases per day, but those numbers were artificial because testing places were only doing X-number of tests per day because they didn't have enough tests to go around. From what I understand, most people just grab rapid tests and don't bother with getting a PCR, and only those tests done directly in/at the hospital count. Regardless, Omicron was a little late to hit Thailand but the numbers are already jumping up. Let's see if the numbers stay in a static range this time around, too.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

our hospitals are flooded again

the government is doing nothing

I can’t read this thread or I’ll wind up in rehab

biden worse than trump

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol she takes it off as soon as the video starts

I'm not following AOC drama, did she go to Florida to get COVID? Seems like she could have saved the trip and gotten it at a bodega on the corner.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

El Mero Mero posted:

A lot of people are completely in the bag on "we"re doing our best what more do you want, covid 0 is impossible" as if the current state of things and doing something that's not really possible we're ever the only options.

I think it'd be good to compile a list of "options not taken" that would have considerably made this pandemic less horrible and which continue not to be pursued.

• adopting a position based around the fight against covid being a 10 year fight (this is optimistic) and being honest about the new normal.
  • OSHA regs based around covid being airborne (ala the killed proposed rules before Biden dropped the mask mandate).
  • Requiring employers to apply for permission to have in-person/congregate work occur on a position by position basis, rather than by industry.
  • returning to the mask mandate
  • mailing n95 masks to every household (on the regular)
  • mailing at-home tests to every household on the regular (not just one-time)
  • guaranteed income checks for every individual, with no application process (issued via IRS) until the end of the pandemic (not one time)
  • another round of business bailouts, but built around something other than a 6 week disruption
  • israeli-style early vaccination mass trials - including for kids
  • india-style mobile or door to door vaccination campaigns.
  • when cases get low enough in a region, contact tracing and enforced quarantining.
  • a 10 minute daily/weekly national emergency broadcast that ran on every channel and at the top of every major social platform focused on policy changes in response to new data
  • national lockdowns
  • enforced quarantining out of country visitors
  • streamlining medical licensing and training requirements for covid care to address shortages (making it easier for medical resources to be moved around the country to surge hot spots) a
  • asking parents to participate in the burden of at-home schooling of children and compensating that work and putting out a national at-home schooling curriculum.

• Comedy Universal healthcare option
  • Making vaccine licensing free
  • Variant-specific booster development processes that kick off as soon as a variant gets classified as a VOC
  • Require full-body ppe or powered respirators or elastomerics for healthcare workers and use the defense production act to get them to hospitals in sufficient capacity.
  • Attaching QR codes to a vaccine record so businesses and institutions can screen folks easily for vaccination
  • regulating domestic air-travel more strictly and requiring a verified test to fly
  • Returning to and re-implementing industry specific closures (churches, bars, gyms, theaters, schools, etc) based on case rates. [we'll probably do this for omicron, but only once hospitals collapse force our hand]
  • Phased lockdowns, where you do it one state/region at a time and control travel strictly during and after the lockdown.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Hey this was the thing I was talking about yesterday, it’s infuriating

i am harry posted:

sometimes I think I could scream so loud and hard that my jaw opens up like a snakes, my body and spirit turn inside out like some dark manga, and I become a howling black guts monster. then I would be morally free to devour this person

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
lolll AOC

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Louisgod posted:

[man who weighs 176 lbs dies from COVID]
cdc: he was unhealthy and deserved to die

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
https://twitter.com/mattbc/status/1479637131748380672

quote:

"America's Hidden History - The Eugenics Movement"

The English eugenics movement, championed by Galton, promoted eugenics through selective breeding for positive traits. In contrast, the eugenics movement in the US quickly focused on eliminating negative traits. Not surprisingly, “undesirable” traits were concentrated in poor, uneducated, and minority populations.

Zantie fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Hey does anyone have either:

A best practices guide to staying in a hotel room without getting omicron?

OR

Terrifying studies about how people got Omicron in hotels?

I have a friend who has to do some work travel and I want to give her the best chance at avoiding covid but failing that something that scares her enough that maybe hyper vigilance might be of some help.

https://twitter.com/marwa_zaatari/status/1448477729347850241