Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If it helps, the difficulty with moving heavy loads by train, since the age of steam even, has not been getting an engine powerful enough to pull the train, it has been getting that engine not to simply spin its wheels on the track, because the engines for a long time have been able to vastly outperform the ability of the wheels to grip the track.

Same is true for stopping, though stopping at least allows you the theoretical use of all the wheels on the train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

No train on earth is able to move my load, it is too powerful.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Just put a Hulk on the track, where is the problem?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Trains can stop in their own length, which is no mean feat. It’s just that they can also be a mile long.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Platystemon posted:

Trains can stop in their own length, which is no mean feat. It’s just that they can also be a mile long.

For the big freight trains that's true just due to the weight and all the wheels helping out. Commuter trains like the one that hit the plane also need like a mile to stop despite being only a few cars long

Best I can tell the train in question is an emd f125, which takes about 1.5 miles to do 125mph->0 (tho Metrolink's fact sheet says they don't have routes over 79mph)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah to a first-order approximation, steel wheels on steel track always take the same distance to stop from a given speed. The available friction scales directly proportionally with inertia.

Of course if first-order approximations were valid, every car would have nearly the same stopping distance, dependant only on the compound of rubber in their tires and the coefficient this had with the ground, provided the brakes were capable of locking up and that all cars either did or did not have antilock brakes.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

OwlFancier posted:

If it helps, the difficulty with moving heavy loads by train, since the age of steam even, has not been getting an engine powerful enough to pull the train, it has been getting that engine not to simply spin its wheels on the track, because the engines for a long time have been able to vastly outperform the ability of the wheels to grip the track.

Same is true for stopping, though stopping at least allows you the theoretical use of all the wheels on the train.

Then THEY should make a train that is nothing but load-carrying locomotives. Problem solved!

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Apparently there was at least a decent amount of time between the plane crashing, officers arriving, and the train showing up. And they did in fact request that traffic be halted, it just didn't happen for whatever reason.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Apparently there was at least a decent amount of time between the plane crashing, officers arriving, and the train showing up. And they did in fact request that traffic be halted, it just didn't happen for whatever reason.

Yea they would have to figure out who to contact at whatever company that train was from, find their phone number, call up, explain to them what was going on and exactly what crossing they were at, then the company would need to get that information to the train dispatcher, who would have to figure out which train was approaching that crossing, then reach out to them via radio, etc. It would definitely not be quick.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Weird. You'd think a railroad crossing would have posted contact information.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah it wasn't quite as much of a problem before the age of steam.

:dadjoke:

RCarr posted:

Yea they would have to figure out who to contact at whatever company that train was from, find their phone number, call up, explain to them what was going on and exactly what crossing they were at, then the company would need to get that information to the train dispatcher, who would have to figure out which train was approaching that crossing, then reach out to them via radio, etc. It would definitely not be quick.

Ariong posted:

Weird. You'd think a railroad crossing would have posted contact information.

Here's a great video about that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0O7DP3i0ao

I'm pretty sure that every railway crossing in Australia has a "Ring [freecall number] in case of emergency" sign on it somewhere with an identifying code you can quote so they can immediately figure out exactly where you are, and every railway bridge across a road has a sign saying "In case of impact against this bridge call [freecall number]" etc etc

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The question of trains stopping came up before and someone posted a giant explanation of everything that happens to a train when it emergency stops, how long it takes, and how much damage it does to the train and other objects. It was an impressive post.

This is not that post, it is only a tribute.

Anyway trains stopping takes a while

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

and now I got Tenacious D playing in my head, I'm predictable.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

The question of trains stopping came up before and someone posted a giant explanation of everything that happens to a train when it emergency stops, how long it takes, and how much damage it does to the train and other objects. It was an impressive post.

This is not that post, it is only a tribute.

Anyway trains stopping takes a while

That original post was really informative as far as what happens in an emergency stop. Unfortunately it was written by (IIRC) a TFR member, so of course it ends by blaming the entire hypothetical train derailment on an illegal immigrant for no reason whatsoever.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That original post was really informative as far as what happens in an emergency stop. Unfortunately it was written by (IIRC) a TFR member, so of course it ends by blaming the entire hypothetical train derailment on an illegal immigrant for no reason whatsoever.

That's more a him thing than a TFR thing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Here's the original 2012 post and yeah, the unnecessary racism is pretty lovely

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

A light Amtrak train is about 500 tons. At 50mph, it has roughly the same inertia as a SUV going 12000 mph

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You mean momentum. The train will always have more inertia.

[very smugly]: “I’ll take the impact with the train. It has less kinetic energy.”

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The 'undocumented driver' doesn't mean an illegal immigrant, just a non-union truck driver getting paid under the table. Also the story itself is a composite of multiple accidents.

Also, here's another shot of the collision: https://www.facebook.com/1212799804/videos/4508919622568887/

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

The 'undocumented driver' doesn't mean an illegal immigrant, just a non-union truck driver getting paid under the table. Also the story itself is a composite of multiple accidents.

Either way it’s a lovely discrimination that adds nothing but some misplaced hatred.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
When in doubt, get mad for another reason.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I thought it was there to highlight that the blame would be dumped on the least able to fight back so that those truly responsible would never face consequences for their action.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Agreed, along with the finding that the conductor had eaten a pot brownie 3 weeks prior and that an engineer of a nearby train had their phone on.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RCarr posted:

Either way it’s a lovely discrimination that adds nothing but some misplaced hatred.

Discriminating against scabs is actually very cool & very well-placed.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

RCarr posted:

This really sounds like you're overreacting dude.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Nick Brett is at it again.

Imagine you get substituted in to play against a team of two of the highest rated players on the planet, and you manage to fight them to a tiebreak. Then you bowl about a centimeter away from the jack. Must feel good!

https://i.imgur.com/4yJ1yvU.mp4

Welp :mmmhmm:

They did a runner and managed to kill the end, though. Went down to the wire. Crazy good match. Though I’m sure you all saw already.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Today I learned that bowls is actually played as a competitive sport other than by old people at the village green.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

Today I learned that bowls is actually played as a competitive sport other than by old people at the village green.

Professional bowls is serious business. There is an Australian documentary called "Crackerjack" that goes in to a bit of the history and importance of the sport.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Inceltown posted:

Professional bowls is serious business. There is an Australian documentary called "Crackerjack" that goes in to a bit of the history and importance of the sport.

Noice

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

You don’t remember the last time he pulled some king poo poo??

https://i.imgur.com/J3SDiuM.mp4

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
So is that man just a wizard or can other bowls pros do poo poo like that

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

pik_d posted:

So is that man just a wizard or can other bowls pros do poo poo like that

I imagine that the other professionals are likewise good and we just haven't seen their highlight reel

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Lawn bowls highlight reels are generally pretty amazing. Even more so if you've ever actually tried playing; I did lawn bowls for Friday sport for a semester in high school, and never managed to land my bowl within 2 metres of the jack. Everyone else was only slightly less rubbish.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

OwlFancier posted:

Today I learned people say village green even when they aren’t talking about a Kinks record

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it literally, bowls are played on a green, it is a bowing green, and they tend to be a feature of villages.

The green is a particular stretch of grass, like a golf course.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is this the bowling green massacre I’ve head about?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nordick posted:

PYF Bad rear end Pictures: Cast All Medals into Spearheads of Revolution
:hmmyes:

also
https://twitter.com/NaturelsWeird/status/1481657037402648580

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That's a little bit metal.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Probably killed one and the rest followed the corpse into the nest and laid down to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DandyLion posted:

Probably killed one and the rest followed the corpse into the nest and laid down to die

That's where the next lemming to arrive after the killing should have become a blocker and sent the others back the other way.