Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

I think Kale gained control of her berserk form too quickly but that’s just because I thought she looked cooler that way

:hmmyes:

Her mastered form or whatever you wanna call it is lame. Shoulda just stayed big but with pupils or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think super saiyan lost a bit when Goku just told Gohan to just imagine something bad happened

Makes it feel fake or Gohan is amazing at method acting

If I recall correctly, the anime made it so that method ultimately didn't work in the end and Goku had to basically pressure Gohan with a bunch of ki blasts that caused him to get upset at his own weakness.

The manga, of course, just had the visual imagery be the successful method.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean this worse thing toryiama ever did was introduce power levels

Like even though they only lasted an arc they have become ingrained in the fandom. Even tho power level is whatever the story needs and not much else

I keep on telling people that power levels were outright intended to be completely unreliable from the very second they were introduced, in large part to show why characters shouldn't get complacent and underestimate the other guy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

projecthalaxy posted:

Wrong, imo. Anything that takes blog posts like this from me is evil.

That sure is a post that someone made with numbers conjured out of thin air.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

That sure is a post that someone made with numbers conjured out of thin air.

Yeah it rules. If you don't whis having a battle power of 43,200,000,000,000,000,000 is cool then i guess we just disagree. I want to hear the user describe his math, completely

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the numbers dont lie and they spell disaster for you at The Tenkaichi Budōkai

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

No Dignity posted:

I thought I knew all the weird dubs for this show and now you're telling me there's a bizarro-world professionally produced english dub being made to this day??

Well, it's not any more. I mean, obviously since Super ended years ago, but this dub didn't even last the full run.

https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Bang_Zoom!_dub

It was made for English speaking Asian countries, even started before Funimation's dub, I think.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

lmao

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
For the record all that interview says is that he didn't want a concrete number for the heroes so he made it that ki could not be accurately read by scouters

so, y'know

power levels are bullshit

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

No Dignity posted:

I thought I knew all the weird dubs for this show and now you're telling me there's a bizarro-world professionally produced english dub being made to this day??

The dub is dead which is unfortunate as some of the casting choices aren't terrible, but the flow of the dialogue was very stunted sometimes and it's less professional than most Bang Zoom dubs. It was being produced for Southeast Asia regions iirc and Chris Rager got very upset about it.

Edit: Oh someone already said this rip

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Vizuyos posted:

When Super introduced Caulifla and Kale and needed to teach them Super Saiyan so they'd be relevant as fighters, it gave up entirely on there being anything special about going Super Saiyan. Cabba couldn't get them angry enough, but they figured out that if they just focused on a tingly feeling on their back, they could go Super Saiyan without needing to be angry.

Goten, Trunks, and Cabba all went Super Saiyan way too easily, but Kale and Caulifla was the point at which the series just totally gave up on pretending being able to go Super Saiyan was even slightly special or difficult in any way. Now it's just something any Saiyan can do if they focus their energy juuuuuuust right. I think it would've made more sense to make the U6 Saiyans' base levels stronger in the first place, rather than introducing them so much weaker and then having to turn the bargain sale into a free giveaway just so they could be anything more than a speedbump.

But either way, if anyone's getting seriously no-poo poo angry about stuff being changed for plot convenience in the world of Dragonball, of all places, I can't imagine that's coming from anything but misogyny. Nobody gets pissed off when the Dragon Balls' rules change every time someone takes their eyes off the balls for five seconds. Nobody was typing furious internet rants when the Potara rules got retconned. Nobody gets mad when every fusion timer has an invisible "sorry, you were winning too hard" penalty applied.

This is all cope. Super Saiyins been a joke since cell saga introduced 3 forms of it after every single living Saiyin got it. Buu saga then doubles down it with yet another form that underperformed and then is given to a joke character. Kale and Califulas power ups are basically less goofy versions of gotenks busting out ssj3 cause they thought it looked cool.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This is all cope. Super Saiyins been a joke since cell saga introduced 3 forms of it after every single living Saiyin got it. Buu saga then doubles down it with yet another form that underperformed and then is given to a joke character. Kale and Califulas power ups are basically less goofy versions of gotenks busting out ssj3 cause they thought it looked cool.

gotenks was right

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

The dub is dead which is unfortunate as some of the casting choices aren't terrible, but the flow of the dialogue was very stunted sometimes and it's less professional than most Bang Zoom dubs. It was being produced for Southeast Asia regions iirc and Chris Rager got very upset about it.

Edit: Oh someone already said this rip

This guy?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Vizuyos posted:

But either way, if anyone's getting seriously no-poo poo angry about stuff being changed for plot convenience in the world of Dragonball, of all places, I can't imagine that's coming from anything but misogyny. Nobody gets pissed off when the Dragon Balls' rules change every time someone takes their eyes off the balls for five seconds. Nobody was typing furious internet rants when the Potara rules got retconned. Nobody gets mad when every fusion timer has an invisible "sorry, you were winning too hard" penalty applied.

Sad to say, but from what I've seen of the DB fandom there absolutely are tons of people typing furious internet rants about Potara rules getting retconned.

Not that it makes much sense because the best alternate explanation about how Vegito defused back in the Buu saga that wasn't just that the rules were different was that, er, Buu's magic gases somehow caused it, which some people will swear is the better explanation.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yes, he went on twitter to be a big baby about the fact there was another English Mr. Satan, which is weird considering this means he's just not acknowledging that canadian dubs exist. Also, regardless of the opinion on the quality of it going on twitter and going "It's poo poo" constantly is kinda unprofessional imo even if I don't wholly disagree.

https://twitter.com/ragercoaster/status/818178922881974274?s=09

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I kinda dislike the idea of the potara rules changing, mostly because I always liked the idea of Vegito being permanent, at least when I was young. From a like, drama point of view.

Giving up who you are as a person, permanently, and what that would entail for their lives, how the people around them would react to it, how their personal lives would change? It's so dramatic and cool to me.

The Buu-defusing already annoyed me, so it's less that the rules changing in Super annoys me. It's just them not sticking to the guns in the first place.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It's extra weird since they already had the easy out of just wishing themselves apart. But I did always like the idea of permanent fusion that not even a dragon wish can break apart since it's a divine item causing it. Oh well. There's always AUs.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lmao

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Makes sense, I basically didn't bother reading/watching the Saiyan saga after it was revealed that Goku and Piccolo are 400 each vs Raditz's 1200. They were going to be clobbered, the numbers don't lie.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

KittyEmpress posted:

I kinda dislike the idea of the potara rules changing, mostly because I always liked the idea of Vegito being permanent, at least when I was young. From a like, drama point of view.

Giving up who you are as a person, permanently, and what that would entail for their lives, how the people around them would react to it, how their personal lives would change? It's so dramatic and cool to me.

The Buu-defusing already annoyed me, so it's less that the rules changing in Super annoys me. It's just them not sticking to the guns in the first place.

Easy, make your spouses and children potara fuse. Sorry Gohan and Bra, you're gonna have to fuse since Goten and Trunks already are fusing partners

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Black August posted:

It's extra weird since they already had the easy out of just wishing themselves apart.

you gotta get Vegito to consent though

(being Vegito is prob p cool)

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Pyrus Malus posted:

you gotta get Vegito to consent though

(being Vegito is prob p cool)

Janeway killed Vegito.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Potara are an interesting concept that were never ever actually going to be used both from a textual and metatexual standpoint.

Like they already established it can be done moments after it was first introduced, and more to the point could be undone by the 'magic gases' of a dude who is on the good guy's side and that doesn't even count the Dragonballs. So the threat of it being permanent was more like "the threat of it being a mild inconvenience" shortly after it was introduced.

From a metatext standpoint the Potara had the advantage of never defusing. In theory this separates it from the Fusion Dance but in actuality it just means Potara can never really be used without a bullshit in the wings because you're A) Not going to remove Vegeta and Goku from the story entirely and B) Not going to have a character who is the ultimate strongest best in the universe around 24/7. It was probably smarter to never introduce Potara in the first place but swapping its advantage to "You don't need to know the Fusion Dance to do it/you can do it instantly without chance of failure" still makes it useful but gives it the limitations that stop Fusion from being the 24/7 answer to everything.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Fusion already was the 24/7 answer to everything from basically the moment they got on first name terms with Shin. The reason it doesn't get used is because both Goku and Vegeta absolutely hate doing it and only want to resort to it if it's a choice between that and oblivion, and even then you have poo poo like the ToP where they could pull out Vegito but decide not to("oh well if you fuse two warriors into one that means you lose two when they get knocked off!" doesn't really apply when you're talking about, you know, Vegito, because nobody besides maaaaaybe Jiren is going to knock off loving Vegito).

Especially after the Broly movie, they could legit respond to every single threat that shows up by turning into Gogeta and Soul Punishering it into nonexistence, but they won't because Goku and Vegeta aren't wired like that.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Yeah, Goten and Trunks love fusing and that's why Gotenks will never do anything.

I do think it would've been funny to let Gotenks take part in the ToP on the basis that he'll surely get eliminated within half an hour so he'll just be a single entrant for his whole time on the field and he'd probably cause some chaos in that time.

Would've been better than loving Tien. How come he never got disqualified for his lovely multiform that didn't even do anything? loving loser.

edit: Hurr I'm gonna split myself into 4 dudes and run straight at the sniper and let him blast me. gently caress off Tien.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I still can't believe he got knocked out by one of the oldest tricks in the book.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I feel bad for Tien because his entire arc was complete all the way back in 22nd World Martial Arts Tournament and since then he's just been sort of... around.

I feel like in Super they were really trying to give him a bit more to do with stuff like starting his own Martial arts school, having a new love interest and partaking in the ToP, they even try to use his old techniques like the split form, but it just didn't really work.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Shyrka posted:

Yeah, Goten and Trunks love fusing and that's why Gotenks will never do anything.

I do think it would've been funny to let Gotenks take part in the ToP on the basis that he'll surely get eliminated within half an hour so he'll just be a single entrant for his whole time on the field and he'd probably cause some chaos in that time.

Would've been better than loving Tien. How come he never got disqualified for his lovely multiform that didn't even do anything? loving loser.

edit: Hurr I'm gonna split myself into 4 dudes and run straight at the sniper and let him blast me. gently caress off Tien.

I mean the half hour is lowered by doing things, isn't it?

Enter Gotenks as one fighter, then when it runs out say he used a Fission technique.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

khwarezm posted:

I feel bad for Tien because his entire arc was complete all the way back in 22nd World Martial Arts Tournament and since then he's just been sort of... around.

I feel like in Super they were really trying to give him a bit more to do with stuff like starting his own Martial arts school, having a new love interest and partaking in the ToP, they even try to use his old techniques like the split form, but it just didn't really work.

If Tien had showed up and broken the Trio de Dangers legs I might have actually respected him.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Shyrka posted:

If Tien had showed up and broken the Trio de Dangers legs I might have actually respected him.

Tien would have absolutely gotten his rear end kicked by Basil (Drugs).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Captain France posted:

I mean the half hour is lowered by doing things, isn't it?

Most things are fine. Gotenks' time was stable in either base or Super Saiyan, or using his ghosts, or whatever, it was specifically the massive Ki drain of Super Saiyan 3 that lowered the time to about ten minutes. Super Saiyan 4 had the same issue for Gogeta in GT, as did Blue for Vegetto in Super (despite using the Potara instead of the Fusion Dance). It seems to specifically be high-power transformations that heavily lower the time limit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Have we ever actually see a fusion last the full time period that wasn't a "we hosed up and have to wait" one?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Have we ever actually see a fusion last the full time period that wasn't a "we hosed up and have to wait" one?

Gogeta Blue, Vegito, and the first non failure Gotenks transformation where he gets beat up.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

In the manga we don't actually see Gotenks get beat up. It's just a gag where he comes back one panel later with a huge lump on his head

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

You know what's bullshit is the line in Battle of Gods about fusion not being enough to beat Beerus. Gohan, who had not trained to any real extent since Buu, was able to get Beerus in a hold for like a second. By transitive property we can conclude that gogeta would have given Beerus a really good fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It isn't enough to beat Beerus. He'd Hakai them at that point in their relationship.