Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Work places are so loving dumb.

I asked for 2 hours off early today and they were like, well you need to give 24 hours notice or it still counts as an unplanned absense.

Got it, just take the whole day off next time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Real Mean Queen posted:

I have no idea outside of the obvious, but get the impression that they're some weird poo poo that we weren't really supposed to see, like if it turned out the presidential limo could fly. Secret countermeasures for hosed up emergencies. Now that the public has seen them, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a new design. I've thought about those things a lot, it's such a wacky setup.

You’d be correct. NATSEC psychos were fuming because between the chuds filming everything and senators and staffers taking selfies, a lot of the classified evacuation procedures and equipment are now documented.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

lol head full of huffing his own farts made him think COLUMNISTS are supposed to have all the answers. what a schlub rear end punchable dude.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Real Mean Queen posted:

I have no idea outside of the obvious, but I get the impression that they're some weird poo poo that we weren't really supposed to see, like if it turned out the presidential limo could fly. Secret countermeasures for hosed up emergencies. Now that the public has seen them, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a new design. I've thought about those things a lot, it's such a wacky setup.

Those are actually pretty common in any federal building. Even when I was a peon in OMB we would do safety demos about them in case of gas attacks or fires or whatever
Just kinda one of the realities of working in DC, along with bomb threats and active shooters etc.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they used tear gas in the capitol iirc

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

LOL, travel health care workers have literally nothing to do with the how much the service costs, they aren't loving private contractors personally negotiating terms. They work for a company that sends them the offer sheet and they say yes/no to a job.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

CDC
@CDCgov

who the gently caress is scraeming "RECOMMEND N95s" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never recommend N95s

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bullfrog posted:

reading this (fascinating btw) thread about the oath keepers and how they were hyping themselves up to a gun battle on j6 but then came across this pic and wondered... does anyone know what kind of gas masks these are?

https://twitter.com/seditiontrack/status/1481729842387292165

some kind of PAPR. Droplet & aerosol protection, fits anyone no matter of obesity/facial hair/whatever, and most importantly - not difficult to breath through so our enfeebled leadership won't pass out

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'm surprised Arlington isn't following suit. I wonder if it's because there are more smaller grocery stores over a wider web than Fairfax which still has a bunch but that serve a wider area so are more easily disrupted by runs on items.

I was planning to go do a grocery run tomorrow morning so we'll see. Have to get my car's registration renewed anyway so it needs the emissions test done and its kind of a crack-ping that I was also thinking it was weird to be caring about that these days

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
can you fuckers start a new thread for bad covid tweets from a furry?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They are pretty dope. I dont know why everyone doesnt have one.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Guess that really isn't COVID related. Sorry!

Uhhh... Let's see how Kentucky is doing anyway.

Gov. Andy Beshear announces fewer COVID cases, higher positivity rate - WYMT

Sounds to me like we've peaked testing capacity!

Indiana reaches new record of people hospitalized with COVID-19 - WDRB

Good to see our neighbor states breaking records =)

Bill giving schools 10 remote learning days heads to Beshear - WPSD.

Wow! 2 whole more weeks before they're forced back into the COVID mine.

How to talk to your child about COVID deaths among teachers, classmates - WKYT

Normal stuff.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Koirhor posted:

start your own thread if you wanna post your tweets

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

start your own thread if you wanna post your tweets

lmao

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

euphronius posted:

They are pretty dope. I dont know why everyone doesnt have one.

because they're single use, only last for about 30 minutes, and cost anywhere from $3-600 a piece
which is why, when they demoed them, we never actually got to see how they worked

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HiroProtagonist posted:

I was planning to go do a grocery run tomorrow morning so we'll see. Have to get my car's registration renewed anyway so it needs the emissions test done and its kind of a crack-ping that I was also thinking it was weird to be caring about that these days

Air pollution is endemic.

It mostly only kills people with comorbidities anyway.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

euphronius posted:

a nurse did not write this

nah I can absolutely believe a nurse wrote this. Plenty of these suffer in silence types that don't actually want to suffer in silence and make sure you you know how hard working they are and how much extra they do unlike their LAZY coworkers.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

because they're single use, only last for about 30 minutes, and cost anywhere from $3-600 a piece
which is why, when they demoed them, we never actually got to see how they worked

oh single use lmao

what a racket

I guess that is not a filter then but it’s own oxygen tank ?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Koirhor posted:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

euphronius posted:

oh single use lmao

what a racket

I guess that is not a filter then but it’s own oxygen tank ?

Exactly yeah, entirely enclosed ecosystem (hence why they are also good for fires)
They're meant to get you from A to B. Not good for lingering
I think the proper name for them is "evacuation hood" and they are available to the public but... pretty pointless

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

evacuating from cspam

AOCIA
Nov 29, 2021

by sebmojo
watching a nation unlearn germ theory has been a helluva thing

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AOCIA posted:

watching a nation unlearn germ theory has been a helluva thing

It’s the story of scurvy all over again.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Good enough to get them from A to B, any kind of coordinated attack would be... Highly effective it turns out. Evac masks are mostly useless but also probably all that's called for, sadly

I think the Whitehouse has significantly better physical security, was basically turned into a fortress about 100 years ago curious what will happen to the capitol building now

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

McNugget Buddy posted:

For the record - Chise, the person running the BIPOC convention and advertising it as "BIPOC led", is white as hell

What’s her name? Somebody said she worked at Fort Detrick, and I’m dying to see if I can find her papers anywhere.

Also, working at Fort Detrick and that furry convention being in Maryland is a bit of a crack ping.

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 66 days!

Cock-mad Helen posted:

:laffo: Staring down the barrel at 4 more weeks of rising cases, and framing that as a good thing

https://twitter.com/WMUR9/status/1481812327485915142?s=20

When you see the construction "model predicts" in any news story about any economic, biological, social, or political phenomenon, you can immediately fall through to one or both of two logical alternatives:
  • Newsie is lying, one way or the other
  • Source is lying, and the newsie was either too
    • incompetent,
    • lazy,
    • corrupt,
    • or more than one of the above
    to pick up on this and say as much.
I started working with mathematical models as an undergrad.

That's what got me interested in nonlinear differential equations in grad school.

No mathematical model you make of any system higher on the complexity scale than chemistry is going to allow you to "predict" jack poo poo.

What models are good for, with these types of problems, is "test driving" a simplified version of the system of interest, to see what it's capable of.

But I could easily spend the better part of an hour listing out all the ways you have to change the problem with systems like this, before you can even run up a model for it.

The very first thing nearly any mathematical model of an epidemic does, is to replace a (presumably) deterministic discrete dynamical system with a continuous one. Ever heard of a population size of 57 3/4? Populations live in the space of nonnegative integers, period, end of sentence. But you replace ℤⁿ (space of integer-valued ordered n-tuples) with ℝⁿ (space of real-valued ordered n-tuples) to reformulate the problem as a system of differential equations. That allows you to use a much richer body of theory and numerical methods to study your model system.

Then, of course, you map it right back to ℤⁿ when you discretize it in your numerical solver, the piece that hands you nifty graphics like the ones in that tweet.

And these are love taps, the tiniest of nudges, compared to the way you have to prune back the system of interest's complexity, and make approximations to bits where the underlying dynamic isn't clear.

When I was a very impressionable and naive sophomore, I had the opportunity to watch a man whose intellect completely dwarfed mine walk right off the edge of a cliff, with a mathematical model of arbitrarily large ecosystems he was very proud of, simply because he was a physicist by training and experience rather than an ecologist. So he made a simplifying assumption that nobody with an undergrad biology major's education would have considered for an instant. And although I'm not sure he ever realized it, that mistake wrecked the entire thrust of his notion.

I didn't even realize what I was seeing at the time.

I wouldn't realize it for almost a decade, until I saw the extreme fragility of mathematical modelling of biological systems exposed in the most brutally clear way, in a course an Ecology Department prof at the place where I was doing my grad work taught, jointly with a prof from one of the Engineering schools.

It was like watching a demolition derby. Or perhaps the intellectual equivalent of Third Ypres / Passchendaele.

The reason you see people talking about the "predictions" of mathematical models of economics (usually) or epidemics (in the unhappy case of Covid) is because people, particularly powerful people, still buy into fortune-telling.

AND FORTUNE-TELLING IS ALL THIS IS.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

https://twitter.com/LouGarza86/status/1340949884833325057?s=19

nobody took gaetz seriously... but he knew

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
https://twitter.com/LeonardiBot/status/1481743156077121543?s=20

Good news!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

euphronius posted:

so my guess is the hospital hires a crisis PR firms that owns or has access to tons of zombie FB accounts?

that's kind of the only thing that make sense.
What a weird world.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The plague hosed around on and off for like 300 years until a bit of luck and some better understanding of how it works saved us some.

Smallpox literally killed the majority of natives in this country. Malaria still fucks up large parts of the world.

Why is everyone convinced this one will get better with time alone?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Look what I found on the free shelf at my local library! It was compiled in 1971 from US Department of Agriculture publications.

The US did not have a great grasp of flavoring, but it does have some cool tables of leftover suggestions and a lot of planning guides where you make a base recipe and then modify it a dozen ways. There are also a lot of canned/frozen vegetable uses I wouldn't have considered.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I hope that soon half masks are considered hot

Paradoxish posted:

I don't have a theory but I do find it weird that wastewater data is syncing up so perfectly across the country in general. It wouldn't surprise me if it's peaking in some area, it's just weird that it's happening everywhere all at once for no apparent reason.

Do they all use the same chemical supplier (assuming it's a wet chemical test)? Could be reagent contamination

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Look what I found on the free shelf at my local library! It was compiled in 1971 from US Department of Agriculture publications.

The US did not have a great grasp of flavoring, but it does have some cool tables of leftover suggestions and a lot of planning guides where you make a base recipe and then modify it a dozen ways. There are also a lot of canned/frozen vegetable uses I wouldn't have considered.

If that has the bean soup in there please post the page. That stuff is legit

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prhi3_Nvt3U

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Asproigerosis posted:

LOL, travel health care workers have literally nothing to do with the how much the service costs, they aren't loving private contractors personally negotiating terms. They work for a company that sends them the offer sheet and they say yes/no to a job.
Yes, that's my point.

I think if the government were to step in and control pricing for these services, which would result in lower offers to traveling healthcare employees (many who are apparently working as travelling nurses because the pay is so much higher than their "local" hospitals even if they aren't getting benefits), said employees will just nope the gently caress out.

https://twitter.com/dhtoomey/status/1470522144287252489

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Oh wow that's a legit awesome find. Could you share some interesting stuff you see in the book?

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 360 days!

Koirhor posted:

Covid needs its own subforum now, it's a sensation that has captured hearts and minds

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

UFOTacoMan posted:

that's kind of the only thing that make sense.
What a weird world.

that and crab bucket management RN

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

CPU Abuser posted:

When you see the construction "model predicts" in any news story about any economic, biological, social, or political phenomenon, you can immediately fall through to one or both of two logical alternatives:
  • Newsie is lying, one way or the other
  • Source is lying, and the newsie was either too
    • incompetent,
    • lazy,
    • corrupt,
    • or more than one of the above
    to pick up on this and say as much.
I started working with mathematical models as an undergrad.

That's what got me interested in nonlinear differential equations in grad school.

No mathematical model you make of any system higher on the complexity scale than chemistry is going to allow you to "predict" jack poo poo.

What models are good for, with these types of problems, is "test driving" a simplified version of the system of interest, to see what it's capable of.

But I could easily spend the better part of an hour listing out all the ways you have to change the problem with systems like this, before you can even run up a model for it.

The very first thing nearly any mathematical model of an epidemic does, is to replace a (presumably) deterministic discrete dynamical system with a continuous one. Ever heard of a population size of 57 3/4? Populations live in the space of nonnegative integers, period, end of sentence. But you replace ℤⁿ (space of integer-valued ordered n-tuples) with ℝⁿ (space of real-valued ordered n-tuples) to reformulate the problem as a system of differential equations. That allows you to use a much richer body of theory and numerical methods to study your model system.

Then, of course, you map it right back to ℤⁿ when you discretize it in your numerical solver, the piece that hands you nifty graphics like the ones in that tweet.

And these are love taps, the tiniest of nudges, compared to the way you have to prune back the system of interest's complexity, and make approximations to bits where the underlying dynamic isn't clear.

When I was a very impressionable and naive sophomore, I had the opportunity to watch a man whose intellect completely dwarfed mine walk right off the edge of a cliff, with a mathematical model of arbitrarily large ecosystems he was very proud of, simply because he was a physicist by training and experience rather than an ecologist. So he made a simplifying assumption that nobody with an undergrad biology major's education would have considered for an instant. And although I'm not sure he ever realized it, that mistake wrecked the entire thrust of his notion.

I didn't even realize what I was seeing at the time.

I wouldn't realize it for almost a decade, until I saw the extreme fragility of mathematical modelling of biological systems exposed in the most brutally clear way, in a course an Ecology Department prof at the place where I was doing my grad work taught, jointly with a prof from one of the Engineering schools.

It was like watching a demolition derby. Or perhaps the intellectual equivalent of Third Ypres / Passchendaele.

The reason you see people talking about the "predictions" of mathematical models of economics (usually) or epidemics (in the unhappy case of Covid) is because people, particularly powerful people, still buy into fortune-telling.

AND FORTUNE-TELLING IS ALL THIS IS.

:nsavince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Frosted Flake posted:

What’s her name? Somebody said she worked at Fort Detrick, and I’m dying to see if I can find her papers anywhere.

Also, working at Fort Detrick and that furry convention being in Maryland is a bit of a crack ping.

Do not doxx the weasel.

I think that the Fort Detrick thing was a joke.