Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Major Isoor posted:

haha yeah, greys have an interesting ability where they can instantly weigh 100kg, the moment they don't want to be moved! :D It's good to hear Lola is doing well though, aside from the business indoors!

david_a posted:

Some of these things are probably related… The fleece might not be enough for the cold. Katie has this combo and when it’s super cold she wears both the vest and coat.

I got Katie in late January and she would freeze up A LOT on walks in the first few months (coming up from Florida was probably part of it). The early weeks she would probably spend 75% of the time outside just standing still and softly whining to herself. She would also stop in the worst possible places like the middle of a crosswalk.

These may or may not apply to Lola, but the best ways to move Katie are, in order:
* If you are with someone else, have them keep walking. She will eventually get jealous and catch up. Doesn’t work when you’re by yourself, obviously.
* Wait her out. Stand in the direction you want to go at the end of the leash (don’t pull her). Sometimes it takes 30 seconds, sometimes 15 minutes, sometimes she just will not move. I found out that she would rather stand still and freeze to death than walk in a cold wind.
* Bribe her with treats. This works but she quickly figures out that “stand still = get treats” so it can’t be a go-to technique.
* Carry her. This sucks but I end up doing it fairly often! Last resort when she stops in a dangerous spot or I lose my temper after waiting forever.

I’m going to try putting on something improvised underneath the fleece (we got her this[url=https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07XQLNPNL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/url]) the next time. We’re going outside. Going to be a bit warmer the coming days as well. At least she has pooped a second time outside. The peeing inside is a complete “unloading” of the bladder and man does she look embarrassed and scared. It kinda breaks my heart because she really looks like she’s expecting me to yell and scold her. Makes me wonder what the previous owners did… I don’t say or do anything except just clean it up ASAP. My reasoning is that it’s pointless to give her negative feedback and I just have to wait for the outside peeing to start and then reinforce that instead. I’m starting to “get” the timing of her bladder though, so going to try to adjust when we go for a walk to better time with her bladder.
It’s also pretty funny with Lola because she has been two different dogs depending on if she’s outside or inside. As soon as she is outside she’s great and is probably the best dog I’ve ever walked. Calm, doesn’t pull, the leash is pretty much always slack and she listens and responds well to a gentle “Come” and a small tug on the leash when I want to keep moving. But inside she’s been super stubborn and I’ve had to carry her multiple times. Yesterday was a big breakthrough though and she’s “loosened” up. We did the jealousy trick in the stairs yesterday and she did come pretty quickly haha. She’s also hilarious when it comes to treats. As soon as she gets “mad” at me/us she just stops taking the treats almost like she’s insulted that I have the nerve to bribe her lol. The elegance of these dogs adds to the comedy. She also discovered that she likes the elevator more than the stairs, so that’s also battle we lost for now.
… and yeah suddenly weighs 100kg is spot on. Really strong dogs even if they are so thin. I have yet to weigh her but I can carry her no problem, but my wife finds her heavy and big. I also did a little sprint with her yesterday just to see what she’d do and I was running pretty quickly while she was doing a gentle jog without a care. Really drives home the point that they can reach speeds of 70 km/h.

actionjackson posted:

good news! nice chevron floor btw

Thanks!

Edit: So after a day of going outside every other hour and giving her treats and positive feedback every time she sniffs something that might lead to her peeing I've had no success yet. She peed inside right after we got home from the first walk. I think she is super overwhelmed by the city and all the sound and impressions. Her tail is firmly tucked in scared position most of the time. I'm trying to have her stay in hall now since it's small and the closest thing to "crating" that I can do right now (crates are hard to get a hold of here in Sweden since I don't think it's used very often except for in cars here, so everything is too small or out of stock). If she does pee, it's a stone floor so much easier to clean. Also getting some separation training done with it and I must say she is super good at it. She whines for a few seconds then goes to her bed and rests without any more whining etc.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Awwww. Your instincts are right about punishment, just clean up the mess and move on. Right now you're building the foundation for your future relationship so you want to be the source of nothing but good things. Maybe don't treat until she eliminates now that you've established walks are fun things.

Do you have a yard or semi-secluded place you can get to easily? You might have to wait her out the first few times. Teedo we have to shove outside on occasion

Right now Teedo is at the five year old child level of potty training - he holds it or doesn't go outside because he doesn't want to stop whatever he's doing, but when he does he needs to go NOW. Yesterday I was on the can and couldn't extricate myself before he unloaded on the landing and the hallway. If we know we're going somewhere we'll force the issue, and thankfully once he's in the yard he'll do his business before coming back.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Negative reactions to the peeing aren't helpful, unless you can interrupt her WHILE she is in the act. If she's actively peeing do yell or clap or something to interrupt the behavior, take her outside, praise/treat profusely when she pees.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Apartment unfortunately. When she's ready and we got the gear we'll take her to the family house out in the countryside.
But good news! After a long as walk without her peeing I gave it another shot and she did a long rear end pee on the lawn outside the apartment. First she was distracted when I tried to praise her but she got it and ate a ton of treats. Also did a poo (and a large one, perfect on the Bristol scale, which I'm happy about!).

Hopefully this is great progress. :) Also I love how she just stops and decides to sit and watch people walking by. The Greyhound way of sitting is so elegant!

Edit:
VVV: Lol! That's hilarious!

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 12, 2022

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

MrOnBicycle posted:

The Greyhound way of sitting is so elegant!

:confused:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MrOnBicycle posted:

Also I love how she just stops and decides to sit and watch people walking by. The Greyhound way of sitting is so elegant!

Only some greyhounds will sit naturally so you’re lucky there

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I added mine, I'm glad I don't need an account or anything. I started bawling after uploading the one of Abby. One week away from what would have been her 14th birthday :smith:
I feel you man :sympathy:

I went to look for a nice pic of Bonnie to put up and made the mistake of watching a video or two

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Much warmer today so I figured Katie might want to run after daycare. And she did! However, I did not take into account how much water was in the soil since it rained before it froze… She was slipping and sliding everywhere and turned the little dog park into a mess.

I had to pick globs of mud out of her paws :cripes:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

david_a posted:

Much warmer today so I figured Katie might want to run after daycare. And she did! However, I did not take into account how much water was in the soil since it rained before it froze… She was slipping and sliding everywhere and turned the little dog park into a mess.

I had to pick globs of mud out of her paws :cripes:

Oh man, do I have a tool for you:

https://www.themudbuster.com/

It will change your life. No more picking mud out of paws for you! :3:

I have the blue one (the medium) and it works for me and my dog (who despite their size, have tiny, dainty paws).

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Some very good sitting hounds ITT!

david_a posted:

Only some greyhounds will sit naturally so you’re lucky there

On the other hand though, I used to think Tazo was one of the ones who wouldn't/couldn't sit of his own volition, but once Opal came into our lives, she clearly showed him how it's done - so now they both sit quite often! (Opal does it far, far more often, though. It's possibly her favourite pastime haha)

Proof:

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I added our dogs to the padlet. Also I haven't posted pics in a while so here's a few:

Tennyson:

Mac:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Tbf Teedo may not actually be a greyhound but a sack of elbows someone tossed off the highway (I love him so much, he is so amazingly cuddly)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Wow Mac and Lola look very similar!

I just want to say thanks for all the help this thread has provided. Certainly has made it much easier to handle her. :)

My wife managed to take a quick photo of Lola sitting:

She does this either randomly when out for a walk where she decides to just sit or when other dogs pass close by. She just sits down and watches them. We also went to the dog field nearby and had her on one of those retractable leashes so she could run with us. Running next to a Greyhound is intimidating as hell as she barely breaks a sweat passing me while I'm sprinting at full speed.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

She does this either randomly when out for a walk where she decides to just sit or when other dogs pass close by. She just sits down and watches them. We also went to the dog field nearby and had her on one of those retractable leashes so she could run with us. Running next to a Greyhound is intimidating as hell as she barely breaks a sweat passing me while I'm sprinting at full speed.

Awwww :3: That's so cute - I haven't known other greys to just do that, when dogs pass by! You're definitely right about greys running, too. You can really notice them "shift gears" too. Like, if I'm jogging, Taz is in his second gear trotting along, then if I start sprinting he takes it up a notch and just effortlessly pulls away

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

Wow Mac and Lola look very similar!

I just want to say thanks for all the help this thread has provided. Certainly has made it much easier to handle her. :)

She does this either randomly when out for a walk where she decides to just sit or when other dogs pass close by. She just sits down and watches them.

My whippet does this too.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Alamoduh posted:

My whippet does this too.
the pictures of said whippet didn’t seem to load for me?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

the pictures of said whippet didn’t seem to load for me?

Yeah its weird! Even if I quote Alamoduh's post to get URL, the link doesn't appear. Puzzling! :v:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Major Isoor posted:

Awwww :3: That's so cute - I haven't known other greys to just do that, when dogs pass by! You're definitely right about greys running, too. You can really notice them "shift gears" too. Like, if I'm jogging, Taz is in his second gear trotting along, then if I start sprinting he takes it up a notch and just effortlessly pulls away

I love that I have a sitting greyhound. :) Yeah I can't wait to see her running at full speed without us slowing her down and the "shift gears" thing is spot on. Can really see the different levels of running speed. It's really nice that we live right next to a big dog field at the beach that the city has earmarked for dogs (except for during the summer months) so they can run free (no fences though). I'm also super impressed with her eyesight, which shouldn't be surprising seeing as they are sighthounds, but she sees other dogs before they even have a clue... and rabbits...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MrOnBicycle posted:

I love that I have a sitting greyhound. :) Yeah I can't wait to see her running at full speed without us slowing her down and the "shift gears" thing is spot on. Can really see the different levels of running speed. It's really nice that we live right next to a big dog field at the beach that the city has earmarked for dogs (except for during the summer months) so they can run free (no fences though). I'm also super impressed with her eyesight, which shouldn't be surprising seeing as they are sighthounds, but she sees other dogs before they even have a clue... and rabbits...

They don’t actually have better vision than other dogs - a bit more peripheral vision due to their eye placement, but that’s it. My understanding is that they’re just highly tuned to react to motion which is why they can suddenly bolt when they see a plastic bag floating in the wind, a distant rabbit, etc.

Is there a fenced in area you can let her run in? It doesn’t necessarily have to be that big. A lot of greyhound adoption organizations in the US make you sign a contract to never take them off leash unless fenced in and will take back the dog if they find out you violated that. They get so fixated on what they’re chasing after that they will not pay attention to things like traffic or how to get back to where they started from.

Seeing a greyhound run full-out in person is pretty amazing and I’ve never seen Katie happier than when she gets to run. She has a blue rope toy I often bring out that she loves to throw around when running. She’ll lose it on the ground then try to pick it up during full speed passes.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
Sorry, I hate trying to upload photos on mobile, but if you like whippets, here’s bugsy:

https://imgur.com/a/oF9OfQ0

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Alamoduh posted:

Sorry, I hate trying to upload photos on mobile, but if you like whippets, here’s bugsy:

:kimchi:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Alamoduh posted:

oh my god

that is the cutest little goober

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

what height do you have your bowls at? My elevated one is at like 15" which works, but I have a galley kitchen the issue is I can't have the cupboards open all the way when it's there. I would really like a single bowl that is the same height as obviously you only need water most of the day, but otherwise I'll probably move it to the entry by her crate. no amazon links please

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Alamoduh posted:

I love fawn longdogs, a couple of Tubbs' siblings were fawn and we really wanted one.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

david_a posted:

They don’t actually have better vision than other dogs - a bit more peripheral vision due to their eye placement, but that’s it. My understanding is that they’re just highly tuned to react to motion which is why they can suddenly bolt when they see a plastic bag floating in the wind, a distant rabbit, etc.

Is there a fenced in area you can let her run in? It doesn’t necessarily have to be that big. A lot of greyhound adoption organizations in the US make you sign a contract to never take them off leash unless fenced in and will take back the dog if they find out you violated that. They get so fixated on what they’re chasing after that they will not pay attention to things like traffic or how to get back to where they started from.

Seeing a greyhound run full-out in person is pretty amazing and I’ve never seen Katie happier than when she gets to run. She has a blue rope toy I often bring out that she loves to throw around when running. She’ll lose it on the ground then try to pick it up during full speed passes.

Ah. Either way I love her perception. :) Yeah there are fenced off dog areas as well. We have one nearby so we'll probably go there tomorrow or something. We went to the beach dog park and ran with her and let her run on the retractable. She seemed to love it and so did we. Time just flies on walks. :3:

Alamoduh posted:

So cute :3:

actionjackson posted:

what height do you have your bowls at? My elevated one is at like 15" which works, but I have a galley kitchen the issue is I can't have the cupboards open all the way when it's there. I would really like a single bowl that is the same height as obviously you only need water most of the day, but otherwise I'll probably move it to the entry by her crate. no amazon links please
I have less than a weeks experience, but did a ton of reading before getting Lola and:
In the end I decided to have bowls on the floor since the only real study done on the subject reported an increase risk of bloat with raised bowls compared to floor level. I follow the other recommended rules from studies i.e. no exercise within an hour (at least) after eating, plenty of water since geryhound apparently are bad at drinking (I let the food soak in water and trick her into eating what is basically a soup). Keeping a close eye at her poop which so far is looking good. Pooped two times today.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

which study are you referring to? I'd be surprised if there was literally only one, seems strange

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

actionjackson posted:

which study are you referring to? I'd be surprised if there was literally only one, seems strange

Sorry I should have linked it: https://docs.lib.purdue.edu/dissertations/AAI3099198/
That’s the study. I did a search on pubmed as well but studies are generally either infection related or racing related. The study I linked is is one that mentions elevated bowls with regards to GDV in large breed dogs. There are other risk factors, but the odds ratio on the raised bowls was interesting.

There might be other studies, but non that I can find right now. There are several pages and other research that mentions avoiding elevated bowls, but they might be citing the above article. Problem is that many of them only leaves me access to the abstract, so can’t read the whole article and citations.

Anyway, as long as the defecation is good and regular with a good consistency, it should be fine but I’m not a vet. But yeah, keeping a super close eye on her poop as I’m pretty anxious about her developing GDV.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I worry about bloat a lot too, but for what it’s worth somebody who was a vet tech posted in this thread and said bloat isn’t actually that common in greyhounds.

My understanding is that the major risk factor with raised bowls is that it lets them eat faster so they’ll gulp down more air. Katie uses a slow feeder bowl anyway so I’m not super worried about it. The bowl edge is about 15 inches off the ground.

MrOnBicycle, you know you have to brush her teeth right? Sighthounds in general have bad teeth for some reason and greyhounds are the worst.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

Sorry I should have linked it: https://docs.lib.purdue.edu/dissertations/AAI3099198/
That’s the study. I did a search on pubmed as well but studies are generally either infection related or racing related. The study I linked is is one that mentions elevated bowls with regards to GDV in large breed dogs. There are other risk factors, but the odds ratio on the raised bowls was interesting.

There might be other studies, but non that I can find right now. There are several pages and other research that mentions avoiding elevated bowls, but they might be citing the above article. Problem is that many of them only leaves me access to the abstract, so can’t read the whole article and citations.

Anyway, as long as the defecation is good and regular with a good consistency, it should be fine but I’m not a vet. But yeah, keeping a super close eye on her poop as I’m pretty anxious about her developing GDV.

What breeds did they use in the study?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
If greyhounds were susceptible to bloat from floor level bowls how would the tracks feed them?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i thought they ate out of a raised trough?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

actionjackson posted:

i thought they ate out of a raised trough?

In the US they just put bowls in their crates. I found this somewhat incoherent video tour of a kennel (by a MAGA clown unfortunately) where you can see a dog being fed around 4:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma8nqETq3eg

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

david_a posted:

I worry about bloat a lot too, but for what it’s worth somebody who was a vet tech posted in this thread and said bloat isn’t actually that common in greyhounds.

My understanding is that the major risk factor with raised bowls is that it lets them eat faster so they’ll gulp down more air. Katie uses a slow feeder bowl anyway so I’m not super worried about it. The bowl edge is about 15 inches off the ground.

MrOnBicycle, you know you have to brush her teeth right? Sighthounds in general have bad teeth for some reason and greyhounds are the worst.

I’m also paranoid about bloat!

Yeah you should not let the teeth brushing lapse. It’s super $$$ to get their teeth done as they need to go under anaesthesia. That shocked us into brushing Hazel’s teeth every night.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

actionjackson posted:

What breeds did they use in the study?

Having a hard time finding the original link where I could read the full article unfortunately. I never saved it. :( Many of the pet advice pages I come across echo the same thing about avoiding raised bowls though, but they never write sources for the information.
Either way the other risk factors are important as well and I will relax more as time goes by because right now it’s mainly the transition from shelter food to our food that’s might upset her stomach, but it’s been fine and yesterday she even pooped 2 times with good consistency.

david_a posted:

Yup. We are getting her used to it and taking it slowly because either no ones ever done it, or it hasn’t been done in a while so both she and her gums are sensitive. Bought some of those dental treats as well to help while she and her gums are getting used to the brushing.

Yesterday she sat down for a crow that was coming closer an closer lmao.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 15, 2022

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

She’s not much a snow dog

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Gross weather in NoVA

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

NomNomNom posted:

Gross weather in NoVA

Aww, Watson! :3: That photo should be on the cover of a Greyhound Home Living magazine, haha

EDIT:

Oh by the way, could this be added to the top of the OP, maybe? Just so it's easier to find. No stress either way though!

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 17, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Happy 14th Birthday Abby!!! I miss you!!!!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Major Isoor posted:

Oh by the way, could this be added to the top of the OP, maybe? Just so it's easier to find. No stress either way though!

I did the thing

Abby! :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

abby :unsmith: