Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

That game was "fine", but they did an outstanding job making the beginning where you get outted as a Jedi and are trying not to freak out very scary.

Same with the whole sequence of escaping from Vader.

Agreed, it's an alright game, with some excellent bits in it. I really like how the tutorial suddenly prompts you to use the force as well.

Although the best moment is near the end where you introduce your goth-gf to your disapproving parents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I also enjoyed how they went into to the spooky, ancient dark side poo poo. Most games and movies don't really gently caress with that, and it's my favorite thing about the setting. Kotor2 worked with it a lot, and though most people found it all cryptic and dumb, it was extremely my poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I also enjoyed how they went into to the spooky, ancient dark side poo poo. Most games and movies don't really gently caress with that, and it's my favorite thing about the setting. Kotor2 worked with it a lot, and though most people found it all cryptic and dumb, it was extremely my poo poo.

A lot about the Dark Side is best when you lean into how Sith are all the world's biggest loving drama queens, and the Dark Side tends to have an effect on you like doing a mountain of cocaine.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm playing the Switch rerelease of Hyrule Warriors after having enjoyed the original version of WiiU. Linkle owns.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot about the Dark Side is best when you lean into how Sith are all the world's biggest loving drama queens, and the Dark Side tends to have an effect on you like doing a mountain of cocaine.

I've always seen it as a dichotomy of bounty and emptiness. The Dark Side's loving awesome for feeding you power, but you just need MORE and it's never enough so you need MORE *SNIIIIIIIFFF*. More power, more conquering, etc. It's not inherently evil, but it's gonna overwhelm you if you don't keep a lid on it cause it's REAL easy to slip and juice for another ultimately-empty fix.

Wait, there's another Sith aside from me? gently caress that guy, this is MY loving power SNIIIIIIIFFFF*.

While the Light Side just bountiful tranquility, and you have Enough to be content and chill because you don't need anything else.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, that was really the most fun part. Sith are boring when it's just "oh woe is me I am so conflicted, my emotions are leading me towards destruction and I can't stop myself". Villains that don't really wanna be villains can easily turn out bland. Now her:

She loves that poo poo. She had that dramatic eyeshadow ready to go. The moment she learned about the dark side, she marched straight into the nearest Space Hot Topic and just went for it. :allears:

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 14:03 on Jan 12, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've always seen it as a dichotomy of bounty and emptiness. The Dark Side's loving awesome for feeding you power, but you just need MORE and it's never enough so you need MORE *SNIIIIIIIFFF*. More power, more conquering, etc. It's not inherently evil, but it's gonna overwhelm you if you don't keep a lid on it cause it's REAL easy to slip and juice for another ultimately-empty fix.

Wait, there's another Sith aside from me? gently caress that guy, this is MY loving power SNIIIIIIIFFFF*.

While the Light Side just bountiful tranquility, and you have Enough to be content and chill because you don't need anything else.

Oh, that's an absolutely valid and not really mutually exclusive reading on it too.

Some of the older EU stuff is kinda explicit on that, and the reformed Jedi treat the Dark Side basically like a support group for addiction iirc. I remember a book where Luke with his circle of apprentices, of all kinds of ages and backgrounds, talks about it and makes sure everyone talks about any experiences they've had with the Dark Side so they know what they're dealing with.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
how easily do we forget darth vectivus, the businessman who gained evil space wizard powers and then chose to continue being a businessman, just with evil space wizard powers

e: the man could effortlessly summon an army of bloodthirsty phantoms but that didn’t really help his quarterlies so he mostly used it to impress his wife’s friends when they stopped by for coffee

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

iirc it's canon that the sith p much controlled the financial elites of the galaxy through dark rituals at Space Bohemian Grove

The whole joke of the prequels is that the sith basically had capitalism do 90% of their job for them

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Oxxidation posted:

how easily do we forget darth vectivus, the businessman who gained evil space wizard powers and then chose to continue being a businessman, just with evil space wizard powers

e: the man could effortlessly summon an army of bloodthirsty phantoms but that didn’t really help his quarterlies so he mostly used it to impress his wife’s friends when they stopped by for coffee

I was so happy to google this and find out you were telling the truth.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

iirc it's canon that the sith p much controlled the financial elites of the galaxy through dark rituals at Space Bohemian Grove

The whole joke of the prequels is that the sith basically had capitalism do 90% of their job for them

One of the more understated elements of the prequel trilogy that I legitimately love (The trilogy itself is pretty :nallears: though, no denying that) is that it didn't actually matter how the war went; Palpatine had already won. He could just put his feet up and let it play out however it went, because either the Republic wins and he rules as Senator President Palpatine, wartime victory leader, or Darth Sidious, Conqueror of the Republic.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Star Wars is much better when the dark side has no coherent ideology because they're evil wizards and the word sith hadn't been invented :colbert:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Strategic Tea posted:

Star Wars is much better when the dark side has no coherent ideology because they're evil wizards and the word sith hadn't been invented :colbert:

I do prefer the Sister naming scheme to the Darth one, it gives it more of an evil cult vibe. Also while some of the fights in Kashyyyk suck (that one at the bottom of the tree with three spiders and a charging room sucked) the fight with Ninth Sister is fun.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Neddy Seagoon posted:

At one point in the canon there wasn't so much a light side/dark side split as it was that you had the Force and then the dark side as a perverted and distorted form of it and no surprise that would gently caress up up if you snorted too much of it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CJacobs posted:

Darkest Dungeon 2's tone is so rad. I love the biting sarcasm in every single "the people have been given hope!!! the loathing abates!!! good job!!!" quip from the Ancestor. On the surface it's completely straightforward: Flip the first game's theme on its head to find your heroes restoring light and hope to the world one piece at at a time instead of struggling for ground as it is continually taken away. You start equipped with desire, instead of nihilism.

But then you look deeper and find that actually nothing has changed for your poor gang of idiots. If anything it's even worse for them, because now they are now actively choosing to sacrifice life and limb to bring the flame to the mountain. They give up everything! You watch them whittle away as you head down the road, becoming MAYBE friends if you maintain them really well and actively hateful at worst. Instead of being adventurers driven to the estate by their last thread, this time they came wearing full clothes and the game sees you slowly unravel it. Darkest Dungeon 2, by my interpretation, is not necessarily about bringing hope back to the world, it's moreso about keeping hope from fleeing your lovely little carriage along the way! When you stop on the roadside to spread flame to the peasantry the prompt says stuff like "We will bring you errant folk light and peace!" but what it should actually say is "helping you is the only thing keeping me sane, thank you!"

The intra party dialogue is all goon written, afaik, a thunderdome bud did it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Inscryption:

Totally negating the demon dude's moon attack with the stinkbug the instant it came out was one of the more cathartic things I've done in a game in a while. For those of you that have beat it: How much game is left once you "start a new game" and things get retro? Are there more twists coming or am I good to start reading peoples' impressions of it now?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Warbird posted:

Inscryption:

Totally negating the demon dude's moon attack with the stinkbug the instant it came out was one of the more cathartic things I've done in a game in a while. For those of you that have beat it: How much game is left once you "start a new game" and things get retro? Are there more twists coming or am I good to start reading peoples' impressions of it now?

You’re about 1/3 of the way through the game. Don’t read anything yet.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Ariong posted:

You’re about 1/3 of the way through the game. Don’t read anything yet.

Awesome, thanks!

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Warbird posted:

Inscryption:

Instantly destroying the moon with an adder was extremely satisfying as well.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
As long as we're on Inscryption

Act1
I've heard, but not been able to confirm for myself yet, that if you bring a death creature (adder) to the campfire and the cannibals eat it, that will kill them, and the next campfire you go to will be abandoned, so you can power level your card like crazy. Supposedly the Ringworm also has the same effect.

The ringworm also counts as "Owning a ring" for the last round of boons before the Leshy fight

Act 2
There is a card you can find or buy called oroborus that starts off as a weak little 1/1 creature. But every time you sacrifice it it grows by +1/+1. There's technically no limit on how many times you can sacrifice and re-summon it, so you can make it stupid powerful, and the cost doesn't increase at all

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

CzarChasm posted:

As long as we're on Inscryption

Act1
I've heard, but not been able to confirm for myself yet, that if you bring a death creature (adder) to the campfire and the cannibals eat it, that will kill them, and the next campfire you go to will be abandoned, so you can power level your card like crazy. Supposedly the Ringworm also has the same effect.

The ringworm also counts as "Owning a ring" for the last round of boons before the Leshy fight

Act 2
There is a card you can find or buy called oroborus that starts off as a weak little 1/1 creature. But every time you sacrifice it it grows by +1/+1. There's technically no limit on how many times you can sacrifice and re-summon it, so you can make it stupid powerful, and the cost doesn't increase at all

First spoiler absolutely true. I think there is a limit to how much you can use one fire, though.

Second spoiler it's a permanent buff as in truly permanent - the Ouroborous keeps its upgrades even on future runs. It also counts as a ring for the final boon, as I found out by accident on my winning run.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like how fun the Evil Jedi fights are in Jedi Fallen Order (lumping them all together like that because calling them Dark Side is inaccurate due to That one guy on the Zombie Planet who is just kind of doing his own thing) because a lot of them have interesting unique ways of using the force like 9th Sister creating shockwaves in the earth and starting fires which suits her brute force nature and Zombie Planet Guy kind of dual-wielding but only actually holding one sabre most of the time with the other freely hovering around him which adds to a kind of spooky vibe he gives off due to being on the zombie planet. Even the other character in the second person's level that you meet has a unique gimmick that isn't even evil, more a corruption of something good - she's not just raising the dead, she's thematically fighting alongside her sisters in arms, it just turns out she's the only one who's actually alive. She's using a magic that looks evil, but is more benignly spooky given her outlook. She just cannot let go of the past and move on, so the force zombies are a cool way of displaying that.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I mean, the second dude is pretty explicitly a jedi that has fallen to the dark side and is just convincing himself that he is more complicated than that, and is pretty clearly evil.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
This is loving stupid I'm sorry.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Vic posted:

Don't sign your posts

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Vic posted:

what game is that from

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

BioEnchanted posted:

I took a break from Nioh to check out this cheap ps4 game I found today called Generation Zero, basically 1980s Sweden but after a killer robot invasion. It's very cute, with a good atmosphere, nice environments and the combat while tricky as the enemies hit REALLY hard is actually pretty satisfying as when you hit them in their weak spots like their weapons or their heads it makes a cool effect to show "Hey, well done, that was quite a good hit!" and the explosion when they die is pretty impressive too. My main issue is the quests can be a bit vague, like I got one searching a hunters home for a hunting rifle, but it just says "Find any useful items" and doesn't point you to any specific ones. I found a bunch of loot items, it may just mean find all of them, but I've searched all the buildings connected to it and found a good amount of stuff. It is open world and you unlock safehouses to fast travel between. It has a lot of charm despite the obvious budget.

Yeah I really enjoyed what I am played of it

There are some odd things with the story and exactly how long the robots have invaded for

And I think playing multiplayer is essential for a good time

The AI is kinda lacking, but it almost adds to the charm, the whole thing is going for a 1980s style thing , so I can buy that the robats are diagetically dumb

The damage curse was really tricky to get a head of and what turned me off from the game unfortunately, but the first 5-15 hours is really good as you describe, with shootouts and a delightfully sparse world.

Would love to see a second pass on it

Jestery has a new favorite as of 01:45 on Jan 14, 2022

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
They polished the poo poo out of the AI since its initial release and I ended up in a house being swarmed by an absolute fuckton of dogs rushing inside. It has gotten a lot better.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Star Wars is probably one of the mainstream settings best suited for a video game morality system since light side/dark side actions are set in stone. Force lightning is a dark side power even if you use it to save war orphans from mecha-Hitler. The Jedi maintain their connection to the light by being meditirstige and detached even as thousands of innocents are being slaughtered. Yeah, it's dumb and doesn't make sense. It's da force bay bee.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Acute Grill posted:

Star Wars is probably one of the mainstream settings best suited for a video game morality system since light side/dark side actions are set in stone. Force lightning is a dark side power even if you use it to save war orphans from mecha-Hitler. The Jedi maintain their connection to the light by being meditirstige and detached even as thousands of innocents are being slaughtered. Yeah, it's dumb and doesn't make sense. It's da force bay bee.

Theoretically yes but then Kotor 2 had to go and ruin everything.

To stay on topic, my PYF in the FF7 Remake is that Midgar feels so huge. The game really captures what a ridiculous construct Midgar is.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In the newest monster hunter the training area has a wind-up animatronic monster being driven by a cat like a mecha

You can stun it like a real monster, which causes it to break down and the cat has to go rewind it

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Acute Grill posted:

The Jedi maintain their connection to the light by being meditirstige and detached

same

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

In the newest monster hunter the training area has a wind-up animatronic monster being driven by a cat like a mecha

You can stun it like a real monster, which causes it to break down and the cat has to go rewind it

I put like 200 hours into this game when it first dropped on Switch. How did I never notice the pilot?!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Acute Grill posted:

that's mostly because the original conception of the force was something a little more vague and nuanced that got turned into a videogame morality by lovely writers. Like just going off the OT, they mention 'the dark side' but don't have any mention of a light side, let alone having specific powers tied to specific moralities

of course early on star wars characters generally were written as if they hadn't watched star wars. Thrawn loses at the end of his trilogy because he never found out that Darth Vader is Luke's father. Heck, even a lot of The Glove of Darth Vader's plot hinges on the main villain having no clue how to become a master of the dark side, but he figures that being a slave lord and getting electrodes implanted into his hands so he can torture people with lightning is a good start.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

The manual labor that the cats run around just barely managing to do before everything blows up like it's a Looney Tunes cartoon is probably my favorite thing about Monster Hunter. Imagining the game without palicos in it leaves it feeling SO much less full of life.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Tunicate posted:

that's mostly because the original conception of the force was something a little more vague and nuanced that got turned into a videogame morality by lovely writers. Like just going off the OT, they mention 'the dark side' but don't have any mention of a light side, let alone having specific powers tied to specific moralities

Yeah the original trilogy force is way more interesting than the RPG alignment extended lore crap that got added later.

The force reflects the nature of the person using it because it is about being in tune with yourself and the universe. Obi Wan can trick cops into thinking they've already seen his papers because he's an old hermit in hiding. Han can do crazy piloting because he's a rogue who believes in winging it. Vader can choke a bitch because he's a cruel, relentless enforcer. The emperor can torture you with lighting because he's a sadistic evil wizard.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm playing Dying Light, and I'm having a whale of a time! Yesterday I stood on a stone outcropping and watched as a zombie repeatedly ate poo poo as it was trying to climb up to me. I even kicked it down once when it managed to get up to my level.

5/5, no notes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Strategic Tea posted:

Yeah the original trilogy force is way more interesting than the RPG alignment extended lore crap that got added later.

The force reflects the nature of the person using it because it is about being in tune with yourself and the universe. Obi Wan can trick cops into thinking they've already seen his papers because he's an old hermit in hiding. Han can do crazy piloting because he's a rogue who believes in winging it. Vader can choke a bitch because he's a cruel, relentless enforcer. The emperor can torture you with lighting because he's a sadistic evil wizard.

Problem is nerds, despitely being obsessed with RPG classes and alignments, usually don't actually understand the whole concept of 'roles' and 'themes' in the abstract at all.

See also how the Star Wars sequels have all the characters act like they literally watched the original movies.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Shiroc posted:

I'm playing the Switch rerelease of Hyrule Warriors after having enjoyed the original version of WiiU. Linkle owns.

Linkle needs her own game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Linkle needs her own game.

:yeah: