Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Rutibex posted:

I love vaccine mandates and vaccine passports "oh you can't go to the gym without proof your vaccinated!" gets people so upset.

I've litteraly never bothered printing a vaccine passport, despite my local area requiring one for any place except grocery stores. why would I want to go anywhere that it's necessary lol

The part that gets me the most is none of the people making minimum wage who have to check this poo poo could possibly even give a gently caress, you show them a picture on your phone, they glance at it and wave you in. Like, it's not a national registered database. These people are impossibly loving dumb, I always knew so but never was it shoved in my face so much, all day, every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Dixon Chisholm posted:

Do you have any connections to the insulators union there? If so, MN looking REAL tempting.

I live in Minneapolis and am a biostatistician, hope this helps

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

if djokovic wants a grand slam from denny's despite needing a vaccine to be seated i think we should make an exception

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

WarEternal posted:

The part that gets me the most is none of the people making minimum wage who have to check this poo poo could possibly even give a gently caress, you show them a picture on your phone, they glance at it and wave you in. Like, it's not a national registered database. These people are impossibly loving dumb, I always knew so but never was it shoved in my face so much, all day, every day.

The security guard asked me if I had my vaccination card with me

I said yes

He waved me through without me even showing it

What if I was lying?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The Djokovic thing is interesting because it's so rare that a rich person was told "no", that only happens like once every 20 years or so

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

gradenko_2000 posted:

The security guard asked me if I had my vaccination card with me

I said yes

He waved me through without me even showing it

What if I was lying?

https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1392952564514238467

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
lol, lmao

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Shotgunning a bottle of soy sauce is a cure for covid (and life)

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

crepeface posted:

hey coldrice if at some point you are planning on a futa addition, could you add penis pregnancy and

Imagine all the PYF posters you'll hook with that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like to preheat my oven to 375, and put a bratwurst right there on the rack for 15 or 20 minutes. Today I wrapped them in Johnsonville sausage strips.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I hope society will treat long COVID sufferers with the support and help they deserve

Considering how well chronic fatigue suffers are treated I do not have my hopes up.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
covid must really be over since the thread is running out of steam

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Chamale posted:

Best-Laid Plans died today. I tested negative for covid, so it wasn't that. I really think it was heartbreak; she stopped eating after All Cats Are Bastards died. I tried to hand-feed her but she just wouldn't eat.

Isn't it amazing just how much a stupid little animal can be a part of you? I just lost the first cat we've had that ever really clicked with me, and there's a hole.

Sorry about your one two punch.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Koirhor posted:

COVID is always over on Sundays and then unexpectedly comes back by Tuesday.

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022
Funny one never hears much about Covid in Poland. Their Zealot Fascist government seems to have a good handle on under reporting caseloads and hospitalizations.

There was this article linked the other day claiming 14% prevalence in the Polish pop of a gene that is correlated with higher frequency of severe Covid, as opposed to 9% of the rest of the European pop.

Looks like they managed to throw a mild Hiroshima bomb on themselves so far.

It's worse than the UK, which has 50% more population lmao !

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

two-time fee posted:

Funny one never hears much about Covid in Poland. Their Zealot Fascist government seems to have a good handle on under reporting caseloads and hospitalizations.

There was this article linked the other day claiming 14% prevalence in the Polish pop of a gene that is correlated with higher frequency of severe Covid, as opposed to 9% of the rest of the European pop.

Looks like they managed to throw a mild Hiroshima bomb on themselves so far.

It's worse than the UK, which has 50% more population lmao !

I can give you a couple of news items on Poland I've encountered but didn't post:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/polands-president-tests-positive-covid-2nd-time-82084734 posted:

Poland's president tests positive for COVID for 2nd time
An aide says Poland’s President Andrzej Duda has tested positive for COVID-19 for the second time but has no serious symptoms

https://www.euronews.com/2022/01/14/doctors-resign-from-poland-s-covid-council-over-government-inaction posted:

Doctors resign from Poland's COVID council over government 'inaction'

More than half of doctors on the Polish prime minister's medical council for COVID-19 have resigned in protest.

Thirteen of the 17 members of the council left on Friday, accusing the right-wing Polish government of inaction during the pandemic.

Doctors said they were motivated by "a lack of impact of the recommendations on the real action," according to a statement reported by the PAP agency.

The letter blamed Poland's government for growing vaccine hesitancy and scepticism during the health crisis.

On Tuesday, Poland became the latest European nation to record 100,000 deaths related to COVID-19 amid a surge in Omicron cases.
(..)

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Dixon Chisholm posted:

Isn't it amazing just how much a stupid little animal can be a part of you? I just lost the first cat we've had that ever really clicked with me, and there's a hole.

Sorry about your one two punch.

I cried like an idiot when my little crayfish "cranky baby" died. Years later and I still have not gotten another one because apparently I get super duper attached to crayfish. I cannot bare the thought of losing another little lobster friend. No idea why crayfish are my weakness. I've lost other animals before where I didn't have a full on meltdown like that lol. So instead I just have a lot of crayfish and lobster decorations like some sorta sea witch.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Woah... no one could have predicted this.

https://www.businessinsider.com/hospitalized-people-getting-covid-from-infected-doctors-nurses-2022-1?r=US&IR=T posted:

More patients are getting COVID-19 during hospital stays. Experts worry it's because infected healthcare workers are sick on the job.
  • The CDC announced looser isolation rules for healthcare workers in December amid staffing shortages.
  • The number of inpatients who contracted COVID-19 during their hospital stays rose shortly afterward.
  • Disease experts worry the CDC policy is fueling in-hospital transmission as infected employees return to work.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

two-time fee posted:

Funny one never hears much about Covid in Poland.

Seriously though interesting (not really "good") update

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fast Luck posted:

Great line from a telegraph article saying Australia’s zero covid sucked

https://news.yahoo.com/djokovic-proves-australia-zero-covid-171944683.html

lmao yes I too recall Australia's wildly popular lockdowns.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

Great line from a telegraph article saying Australia’s zero covid sucked

https://news.yahoo.com/djokovic-proves-australia-zero-covid-171944683.html
Ah yes the "addicted to being safe" idea again

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mystes posted:

Ah yes the "addicted to being safe" idea again

I'm addicted to being safe, I drive a Subaru and wear my seatbelt

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

oh my god how do healthcare workers do this poo poo

Not in the field anymore but generally it's alcohol and incredibly black humor.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm addicted to being safe, I drive a Subaru and wear my seatbelt

Those are quality automobiles
the last bastion of "good and affordable"

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Koirhor posted:

"Sure, cases are up. But where are the posts?"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pingui posted:

"Sure, cases are up. But where are the posts?"

we are starting to see deaths and posts decoupling

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Nice zoning holy gently caress america is racist

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pingui posted:

Woah... no one could have predicted this.

The CDC ruling was junk science and not surprisingly just made things worse in terms of increasing the chance of in-hospital spread.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

WarEternal posted:

They're 100% being told to do that, actually checking it opens you up to the possibility that the check might fail for whatever reason. Maybe they can't scan it correctly. Maybe the ten-year-old fraying ethernet cable finally craps out and they don't have a spare one because they're a restaurant, why would they. Maybe they're actually scanning a fake code and don't know it. And businesses will compromise the safety of their patrons a million times before they ever deny service to someone with a legit passport for bad infrastructure reasons.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

I hope society will treat long COVID sufferers with the support and help they deserve

*sigh*

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I was the poster child of COVID-19 safety:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2022/01/16/everyone-get-covid-19-eventually-if-only-we-had-answers/9191345002/ posted:

I was the poster child for COVID-19 safety. Eventually, it got me.
For nearly two years, I have followed all the guidelines. I still caught COVID-19. Unfortunately, we still lack the resources for proper recovery.

I was the most careful. For 20 months, I lived pretty much in a bubble. There were times when, thinking that COVID-19 might be over, I ventured out only to get scared and scramble back into the rabbit hole. I’m a social person, but I didn’t go to parties. I wore masks until they were worn-out. I wiped down packages long after we learned it was OK not to.

I had two vaccines and a booster on time. When I went to a movie theater once someone coughed and I never went back. I declined invitations to baby showers, weddings, meetings, business travel, lunches and breakfasts. Dr. Anthony Fauci could have made me a poster child for COVID-19 safety. I give myself an A for following all protocols.

Was I careful enough?
In mid-December I took a chance and decided to go to a company holiday party and see how people freed from the Zoom cage looked in real life. There were so many who had joined our firm over the months and I was excited to meet them. The party rules were you had to test negative within 24 hours before going to the party. I did. You had to be vaxxed. I was.
(..)
:thunk:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

gradenko_2000 posted:

(..)

By the metrics of society, they will.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Koirhor posted:

We're finding out healthcare collapse isn't a real thing in the land of plenty. A few thousand people will just die each day without nurses and no one will care

Belief in either 1) vaccines or 2) robust hearty immune system has 300 million people convinced they can go out to the bar to watch the game .

Meanwhile my friends 38 year old boosted brother is dead of covid because the man left him to die

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Because I had insomnia last night I decided to see if there's anything out there on people previously diagnosed with PTSD and having it "flare up" during the pandemic. Well yes, in fact there are quite a few articles out there on this within the veteran population. My heart truly goes out to them, and my moron prediction is that we will be seeing a ton more of this with both war and "civilian" PTSD. I could really relate to what some of the vets were saying though. And not all of the articles did them much justice imo.

"Vicarious" trauma pisses me off because it seems like yet another way to minimize poo poo and/or claim that your poo poo is somehow more sophisticated. This is a gripe probably no one cares about lol, but given the nature of my job, for some reason it gets pounded into us that we only suffer from "secondary, vicarious, etc" trauma. I think it's a way to keep us silent and in line, and also a convenient way for chud/lib therapists to separate themselves as much as possible from reality and "those" people.

I'll be fully vested in the summer, so if I can make it until then, that gives me a few good months to come up with a really extravagant way to flip mental health the bird as I ride off into the covid sunset.

Goobish fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 16, 2022

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Whats new in the research the last 3 weeks?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Moderna still king?

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

text editor posted:

"Did you say COVID placenta?" - HermanCainAwards aggregates some of the most horrifying pregnancy-related r/nursing posts

Not really Herman Cain award worthy when obgyns only recommended "access to the vaccine" until around May or June 2021

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zodium posted:

Lone Simonsen should shut up forever, though.

God yes, I hate her so much.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I was wrong, it appears that immigration improves our overall public health as the immigrants are more vaccinated than the chuds https://twitter.com/redouad/status/1482732121420533764

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1322254443644026880?s=20