Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 67 days!

mrbotus posted:

I'm looking for adjustable nylon/fabric straps to replace some of my N95 non adjustable straps with. Does anyone know where I can buy some? or even what their called? would make searching easier.

Yeah, you can get this stuff on eBay. To my certain knowledge.

Search for for "1/4 inch Elastic Band", and you'll see scores of listings.

I picked up 10 yards of the stuff there, a year and a half ago, for $5.50.

Here are a couple of links I turned up, less than 5 minutes ago. Dozens more where those came from.
It's all over the place like ants on a picnic table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/59dallas/status/1482288387310891021

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

PerniciousKnid posted:

I might need to figure out if I can adjust Kid95s somehow because they just dangle on my kids but I'm nervous that kf94s aren't enough anymore.

if the seal is good the kf94s are as good as the n95s per Aaron Collins data iirc

I should preface that my kid is like 90% stature for her age

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

thanks for reminding me to pick up some 7093Cs "just in case"

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Bob Socko posted:

I received my four rapid tests from iHealthLabs. Ordered last Sunday, they told me “I dunno maybe we’ll ship in two weeks :shrug:”, but they’re here in a week. I will now hoard these.

Cool! I just ordered some too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sitting for two hours in a parking lot waiting for a covid test and watching cars and cars full of unmasked people going into Panera

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Goobish posted:

Because I had insomnia last night I decided to see if there's anything out there on people previously diagnosed with PTSD and having it "flare up" during the pandemic. Well yes, in fact there are quite a few articles out there on this within the veteran population. My heart truly goes out to them, and my moron prediction is that we will be seeing a ton more of this with both war and "civilian" PTSD. I could really relate to what some of the vets were saying though. And not all of the articles did them much justice imo.

My VAC case manager says I’ve gotten worse after nearly recovering enough to go off a bunch of benefits at the end of 2019, I have a hearing next month to expand my claimed psych conditions, because what was noticeable but not disabling in 2014 is now clinically significant or whatever.

Because of the pandemic they’ve suspended home visits since 2020, it’s just about impossible to go in there for an appointment, my case manager has been covering for her superior for over a year now because of staffing so does not actively watch my file, and from what she said, her other assigned files, I’ve had maybe 1 40 minute phone call every 6 months since 2020. lol

Anecdotally, just from what’s been going down on Facebook, poo poo’s real bad. A big part of helping guys recover from PTSD is getting them out of the house and living normal lives. That’s all gone, and just in terms of how disturbing some of the posting is, or how much guys are fixated on the war again, the pandemic has been rough. Winter in Canada has enough of an effect on vets with PTSD that VAC tries to get guys extra help and attention, play rec hockey, this has got to be worse.

I don’t know, I went from feeling like I was good to go to feeling not great, but it’s like the symptoms just have a life of their own now. I’m not like wincing driving over culverts, I just feel bad sitting around at home. Does that make sense?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

sonatinas posted:

if the seal is good the kf94s are as good as the n95s per Aaron Collins data iirc

Well sure but the if is the issue with ear loops.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

smoobles posted:

peak, or ran out of tests? what do you all think?

weekend, it'll be backdated higher next week

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
enjoyinn all the technological improvements to facemasks due to covid

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Casey Finnigan posted:

Listening to people talk about how good those filthy teachers have it and how they don't deserve all the benefits they get and how dare they complain

At this loving brunch that my sister pissed her pants about everyone attending. Lol why did I agree to come I'm such a loving moron

owned, lol

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
teachers have benefits? lol. workers have ''benefits''? lmao. what benefits lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Teachers get 10 weeks of unpaid vacation !!

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

i'm currently organizing coronavirus knowledge and studies in the spreadsheet of my mind and i was wondering if other people think any of these are misclassified, any are missing or if there's a better way to sort them?

I. Prevention
A. Hierarchy of controls
1. Elimination
a. lol
b. China's response??
2. Substitution
a. [simpsons_mr_burns_virus_door.gif]
3. Engineering controls
a. Ventilation
b. Filtration
c. Isolation rooms
4. Administrative controls
a. workplace leave time??
5. PPE
a. Makeshift/cloth masks
b. Disposable masks
c. Respirators
d. Eye protection/face shields
e. Other physical barriers (gloves, gowns, etc.)
B. Prophylactics
1. Vaccines
2. MABs
3. Weed
II. Infection
A. Acute phase
1. Symptoms
2. Complications
B. Long Covid
C. there's probably a lot more to this but i don't have a lot of medical knowledge
III. Treatment
A. same for this ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
IV. Other information about coronavirus
A. Testing
B. Coronavirus: origins
C. Variants
D. Modelling
V. Practical pandemic related information
A. r/collapse posts can go here i guess
B. Food and medicine stockpiling
C. Meal prepping

kreeningsons fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 16, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/terrysimpson/status/1482468013454475264?s=21

https://twitter.com/joebideneq/status/1482570165686616067?s=21

uncomfortable with the idea of giving your dogs COVID

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/CDRosa/status/1481682615950323713?s=20

oh

W O R D ?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

PerniciousKnid posted:

Well sure but the if is the issue with ear loops.

these are adjustable, when they’re back in stock

https://behealthyusa.net/products/botn-kf94-small-white?_pos=1&_sid=2a54975f1&_ss=r

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

euphronius posted:

Teachers get 10 weeks of unpaid vacation !!

i get paid sit here. the food is free :buddy:

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

once theyre at that point theyre generally long past being contagious

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1 billion masks later: adjustable ear loops :negative:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hmmm starting to think rich people might not have my best interests at heart

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Zodium posted:

https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/opinion/topic/2022/01/15/why-covid-19-will-never-become-endemic/164216520013155

i thought this article was a banger, but what you want can't really exist. the whole reason we invented scientific authorities to begin with was to provide concise and mainstream guidance to the public, only those authorities are now providing guidance to ensure capital's health rather than the public's. it's not really about science, it's about trust. you can sum up all the papers you can find if you like, but it'll invariably seem less credible than your local health authority announcing point blank that they can talk to coronavirus and it says it simply doesn't want to enter restaurants. best thing you can do is wear a respirator, don't get infected, and let those who have ears listen.

it's absolutely revolting.

this is a very good article and every bit of it applies to the US as long as you substitute the names of some locations.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Which one of you is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q572vkGK3Mo

This guy's videos are really good. And this one goes into airborne AIDS (*among a bunch of other topics discussed ITT)

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

sonatinas posted:

Xposting this great post from GBS:

Ccs posted:

Yeah I’ve been seeing similar charts circulate throughout the last 6 months

https://mobile.twitter.com/brosseau_lisa/status/1449409318412079108

https://mobile.twitter.com/akm5376/status/1425014228159717390

But the only source aside from the CDC link already posted is this:

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2021/10/commentary-what-can-masks-do-part-1-science-behind-covid-19-protection

And buried in the text of that article is:

“ (These numbers are just estimates based on the CDC's 15-minute contact tracing time, which has no scientific basis. And the more transmissible Delta variant (lineage B.1.617.2) may require an adjustment to a shorter contact time.)”

These charts tell me if the other kids in school are not fit tested my child needs the maximum protection. Ideally they'd all have iron source control discipline but... well, human beings. Still not sure what my kid will eventually wear. My therapist suggested the adhesive n95s, which are lower profile...but expensive and he would need two or three throughout the day. Anyway, these charts are helpful in assessing risk and figuring out the best option. I love the kf94s, but when the slightest gap will be exploited and others can't be trusted I just don't think the seal will hold up to the covid hot boxing.

Strep Vote fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 16, 2022

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

enjoyinn all the technological improvements to facemasks due to covid

One of the hosed to things about our response to COVID is there’s been zero progress at better masks or smaller respirators. The envomask is basically the only new form factor that is actually a real mask that I can think of.

jinx_player
Aug 25, 2018

Put a mask on your ugly loving face, rear end in a top hat.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

CPU Abuser posted:

SARS-CoV2? Not so much. It didn't know human ACE-2 from a hole in the ground 30 months ago. It's still being relentlessly optimized by mutation & natural selection.

At the risk of taunting the virus, do you think we are close to that point with Omi?

I mean you have something that can become infectious on like a day, and put out enough infectious particles quickly enough that even if something did intrinsically spread faster, probability is gonna have Omi building faster than something else.

At a population level it basically can take over a country in less than 14 days in a naive population. I suppose maybe there could be some oscillation in dominant strains due to immune evasion but it looks like Omi paid that price vs. delta by becoming infectious faster

e: also return to office looking more and more inevitable. Went with a clean shave for the first time in a couple years. idk

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Thoguh posted:

One of the hosed to things about our response to COVID is there’s been zero progress at better masks or smaller respirators. The envomask is basically the only new form factor that is actually a real mask that I can think of.

I figured out a solution to this, just need to emphasize the advantages of small workers and their ability to polish weapons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ApMPkRB_w&t=32s

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Strep Vote posted:

Xposting this great post from GBS:

These charts tell me if the other kids in school are not fit tested my child needs the maximum protection. Ideally they'd all have iron source control discipline but... well, human beings. Still not sure what my kid will eventually wear. My therapist suggested the adhesive n95s, which are lower profile...but expensive and he would need two or three throughout the day. Anyway, these charts are helpful in assessing risk and figuring out the best option. I love the kf94s, but when the slightest gap will be exploited and others can't be trusted I just don't think the seal will hold up to the covid hot boxing.

Do not share air, I got covid in 5 minutes through an n95 due to either eyes or stubble and now I get to spend the rest of my life wondering when the long covid hammer will drop

Pull your kid out

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Pingui posted:

Absolutely. One of my main gripes with public health authorities is that they are long-term undermining the trust built by their predecessors. Trust premised on defining apolitically what is the correct course of public health action in a political vacuum. Leaving the political calculus and response to politicians, whose role it is to find a path weighing health, economy, stability etc.

Instead we are getting an already weighed course of action, which then gets further moderated by politicians and subsequently people. Each taking the best case scenario as the mean.

this has been the thing that's really loving with me, as a biomedical (but not clinical, nor epidemiological) scientist. even beyond capture by capital, there are conceivable innocent reasons why "minimize transmission of the disease" is not actually the same as "best case for public health" because of interconnected systems, or reasons why you pick a midpoint to balance COVID transmission with everything else to maximize the welfare of the population. but the problem is that there's no transparency at all behind recommendations that are clearly weighted towards keeping people at work rather than protecting them from COVID, so even non-scientists can take one look at the CDC recommendation and realize that there's a lot going on behind the scenes. so, great, we no longer have any loving idea what a CDC recommendation really means, because it doesn't mean the best course of action to keep ourselves safe from COVID, it's a politically-calculated recommendation that's modified by to an unknown degree by the need to keep the machine churning.

and this event is sufficient to completely annihilate this built-up trust, and by annihilating the trust in the governmental public health authorities as just political nonsense, you also undermine trust in other governmental agencies and independent experts, which is loving awesome when you're staring down the barrel of a climate apocalypse that people still don't believe is happening. awesome.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah that's what I use now but it depends on my 4yo to keep it adjusted and seated properly.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

shackleford posted:

covid thread, what are some good spices i can add to rice and beans that i can just dump in the rice cooker? ty

my go to is white beans (great northern or cannelini) pretty much any poultry seasonings. usually rosemary, thyme and parsley. the only catch is it has to be fresh herbs, but if you get a bunch you can chop them, mix them with olive oil and use ice cube trays to freeze them into little herb pucks to use in future meals.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Wang Commander posted:

Do not share air, I got covid in 5 minutes through an n95 due to either eyes or stubble and now I get to spend the rest of my life wondering when the long covid hammer will drop

Pull your kid out

No. He's already isolated. The wave will subside, the pandemic will continue, maybe he will grow out of his condition at puberty, maybe not, but pulling him out of society instead of integrating with it is not the answer. He'd end up like Why Am I So Tired (no offense WAIST) and that leaves him infinitely more vulnerable to the continuing crises. The school is willing to work with me and other parents and I'm going to seize the opportunity. Maybe I can help others.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

get this guy an account

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Zurtilik posted:

Guess they aren't that essential.

The jobs are essential. The workers aren't.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Blitter posted:

My worry is that the increased binding affinity of omicron is a method to increase infection that largely bypasses whatever limited immunity which could result in really rapid reinfection.

Lol, hopefully it doesn't further select for that, lmao

Oh don't worry it already is

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
It has more mutations that make it more contagious, but it's less deadly.

Since the coronavirus is a cold virus, then the more contagious it gets, the less deadly it gets... it's more contagious because it's binding with cells really well in your nose and mouth, which make it bind more poorly to cells deep in the lungs. And the human body's immune system is really good at fighting viruses that bind to nose/mouth cells.

So it would seem, we should expect to see the virus mutate into more contagious but less deadly forms, until it pretty much is the equivalent to seasonal cold/flu.

Then it will be over.

Right?

:gerty:

Trauts
May 1, 2010

Zodium posted:

https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/opinion/topic/2022/01/15/why-covid-19-will-never-become-endemic/164216520013155

i thought this article was a banger, but what you want can't really exist. the whole reason we invented scientific authorities to begin with was to provide concise and mainstream guidance to the public, only those authorities are now providing guidance to ensure capital's health rather than the public's. it's not really about science, it's about trust. you can sum up all the papers you can find if you like, but it'll invariably seem less credible than your local health authority announcing point blank that they can talk to coronavirus and it says it simply doesn't want to enter restaurants. best thing you can do is wear a respirator, don't get infected, and let those who have ears listen.

it's absolutely revolting.

That's a good way to put it i appreciate the link too.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

nexous posted:

It has more mutations that make it more contagious, but it's less deadly.

Since the coronavirus is a cold virus, then the more contagious it gets, the less deadly it gets... it's more contagious because it's binding with cells really well in your nose and mouth, which make it bind more poorly to cells deep in the lungs. And the human body's immune system is really good at fighting viruses that bind to nose/mouth cells.

So it would seem, we should expect to see the virus mutate into more contagious but less deadly forms, until it pretty much is the equivalent to seasonal cold/flu.

Then it will be over.

Right?

:gerty:

Omicrons main advantage is immune escape. This is the immune escape wild type, soon we'll have the immune escape Delta. We know the worst case, which this line is headed for, is "binds aces so well no immune response or intervention is possible" so expect that endpoint in a few years without elimination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Nonsense posted:

Australia is going to reap the whirlwind over this

gently caress!