Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Invalid Validation posted:

I understand why they went for mystery but even in the books you knew who it was from like page 50 because he was the main character so duh. They purposely ignored him in the show to obfuscate him being the Dragon and did the character a disservice by not really giving him much.
The book takes a balanced approach focusing on a sort of horror- / thriller-tinged fantasy plot, with lots of focus on character development (of Rand and Perrin most prominently ofc) and the slow introduction of the reader to the massive world and mythology of WoT.
As for the show's approach, I think I agree with what a number of people have said elsewhere about this (the Nerdy Wordy guys on their podcast, for one), and it's what I have kind of thought since before the show was released: spinning a classic fast-paced whodunit/whoisit type mystery story, is the 'safe' option if you're building an expensive fantasy show like this ('safe' in terms of creating the highest probability of it generating short-term rewards i.e. decent viewer retention figures). You have a ready-made cliffhanger at the end of every episode if you want it: last shot, who is the dragon! Is it XYZ main character? Smash cut to black! You have a decent shot of keeping the casual viewer coming back for more. If the writing, direction etc. is a bit of a mess (as most people seem to agree was the case), people aren't going to have enough time to really notice the problems, and you'll still keep plenty of people watching because you're keeping the pace super-high and you're giving viewers a simple but effective-enough 'who is the chosen one' mystery to think and talk about (on social media! $$) week-to-week.
Similarly, they dumbed down a bunch of the magic mechanics type stuff in the show because, what if people find that confusing and switch off? Ditto a bunch of world building stuff they don't go anywhere near, most hilariously perhaps, the Horn.

The alternative approach would have been a much slower-paced season of TV which, like the book, tried way less hard to promote the Dragon Identity mystery (but you could still obfuscate it a ton by increasing the focus on the other boys and on Egwene and Nynaeve), and instead focused on building the main characters, and focused on slowly and effectively introducing the myriad concepts, magic mechanics, and wider mythology of the world, and showing us those main characters' initial development as they step out of their tiny village and into that massive and insane WoT world.
However, that approach requires you to lean very heavily on the talents of your writers, actors and directors to produce a compelling slow-paced TV fantasy drama (though as I say above, if you were following the books closely, there's a serious horror/thriller edge to it for the first half of the season until they get to Caemlyn). It's much more high risk IMO. If you don't have some great writers, directors and actors working on this, you will just end up with a boring mess that people will switch off.

It is what it is vOv
I don't really expect any change in future seasons but you never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

silvergoose posted:

There was absolutely no way they were giving an untested-in-tv property sixteen hour long episodes. Given that, I think Rafe and the writers did pretty well with the constraints.

I mean, you'd think, but, LotR. Technically. They made a five season production commitment.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That at least has had successful screen adaptations.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Well he ain't wrong.

Well, OK, he's right, but not in the way he thought he was right.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

DarkHorse posted:

It's me, I'm the moron who didn't realize Rand was the Dragon until near the end of the books

So I was on board with them making it more mysterious on the show

Books plural?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Pleads posted:

Books plural?

The climax of The Dragon Reborn is when that mystery is finally resolved, after all :colbert:

(Whoops that was a typo lol)

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Since they have 5 seasons are they actually gonna have a Bombadil now? It seems like they should.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

latinotwink1997 posted:

Since they have 5 seasons are they actually gonna have a Bombadil now? It seems like they should.

Bombadil and Golberry gon gently caress

edit: the real answer is the show is going to be based entirely on the Silmarillion and I doubt there's anywhere in it where Bombadil even *could* show up.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I hope they don't. Ever. Just to piss off people who are mad bombadil isn't in it. Because he's a stupid character in the books.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Priyanka Bose saying season 2 should be coming "mid this year"

https://twitter.com/DaughtersOfS/status/1483148300916248576

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Bombadil and Golberry gon gently caress

edit: the real answer is the show is going to be based entirely on the Silmarillion and I doubt there's anywhere in it where Bombadil even *could* show up.
It's actually not even that, it's based on the verbal backstory of the world that Gandalf relates in the Hobbit/LotR, and the information presented in the appendices to RotK. The original Amazon deal was based on the original Saul Zaentz deal from 1970, which only included the LotR and the Hobbit (except that Amazon couldn't use the plot of LotR or the Hobbit). It was only during early production, around the summer of 2021, that they convinced the Tolkein Estate to license certain elements from the Silmarillion and the Unfinished tales.

They also don't have any rights to any visual IP produced for the Peter Jackson movies, because those rights are owned by Warner Bros, which is... unfortunate... since that's 90% of what a casual viewing audience knows of the LotR.

Although that does mean Tom Bombadil is on the table.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 17, 2022

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Priyanka Bose also said season 2 has more of Alanna's story coming alive in response to someone saying they hope she gets more screen time.

Here's a link to the full 24 minutes, she talks about the show and her role and poo poo https://www.instagram.com/tv/CY12k86KpVH/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Interesting. When do we meet Alannah in the books? I can't remember at all

e: two rivers seige?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Egwene's accepted trial? She's the one running the rings, and asks to share kitchen duty in penance.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

El Grillo posted:

Interesting. When do we meet Alannah in the books? I can't remember at all

e: two rivers seige?

Yup, in The Shadow Rising. She's hiding out in the sick house with Verin, Tam, and Abel. She's already messed up from having lost one of her Warders to the Whitecloaks while they were getting into the Two Rivers but is able to hold it together enough to fight during the siege and fry a ton of Trollocs.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

She had some big roles in the Tower when Elayne/Egwene/Nyneave were training (before Liandrin sold them off).

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Gnoman posted:

She had some big roles in the Tower when Elayne/Egwene/Nyneave were training (before Liandrin sold them off).

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. She was part of Siuan's entourage during The Great Hunt and quizzed Nynaeve and Egwene about Rand while tutoring them in chanelling.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Cool, that adds up. She wasn't bad in the show.

Crazy to hear that they might be releasing s2 in about 6 months or so. Apparently they started filming in July and it sounds like they're still going, though I dunno whether they had a break because of covid.

Also, lol at this:

Rafe Judkins posted:

“Loial [Hammed Animashaun]is not dead,” he told Entertainment Weekly. “He is alive and well and shooting in Prague. I wanted people to be a little on their toes, because real deaths are coming for characters that don’t die in the books. We have to, because we can’t hold 2,000 series regulars through multiple seasons.

“It’s coming, and I want people to emotionally prepare themselves. The thought that Loial might be gone will hopefully start to get people emotionally prepared, but I couldn’t. He’s my favorite.”

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

DarkHorse posted:

It's me, I'm the moron who didn't realize Rand was the Dragon until near the end of the books

So I was on board with them making it more mysterious on the show

Did you mean the end of book 1 or did it take you until A Memory of Light to realize it

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I’m sure she’s not privy to such direct information since it’s probably studio execs that say when things need to be ready/released but she’s probably throwing out a general timeframe from talk around set and producers and stuff. I mean, it’s a lot better than November.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

One thing I’ve been wondering about: When Rahvin killed Mat, he severed his connection to the Horn of Valere. But why didn’t that connection get restored after Rand killed Rahvin with a massive wall of balefire?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Fate

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

A wizard did it.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Alanna is briefly mentioned in The Great Hunt, as one of the Aes Sedai that visits Nynaeye and Egwene to give them some minor teaching. But she mostly gossips and talks about boys, particularly Rand.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

goethe.cx posted:

One thing I’ve been wondering about : When Rahvin killed Mat, he severed his connection to the Horn of Valere. But why didn’t that connection get restored after Rand killed Rahvin with a massive wall of balefire?

The connection to the horn is a sort of weird metaphysical state that is beyond the simple cause/effect of humans and the pattern and as such is not just re-connected when balefire winds back the effects of Rahvin's actions.

At least I tell myself, which simplifies to

Mad Hamish posted:

A wizard did it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Mat "dies" two different ways in the series so if one doesn't fit right it is easy to just tell yourself it is the other one

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

goethe.cx posted:

One thing I’ve been wondering about : When Rahvin killed Mat, he severed his connection to the Horn of Valere. But why didn’t that connection get restored after Rand killed Rahvin with a massive wall of balefire?

He also got hanged to death.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Mat "dies" two different ways in the series so if one doesn't fit right it is easy to just tell yourself it is the other one

Eventually the Horn is gonna decide he's just unreliable and cut its losses. Can't stay alive to sound the horn, can't stay dead to join the heroes, probably off dicing somewhere again.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

CainFortea posted:

He also got hanged to death.

I thought of that but he arguably only almost dies. But I guess he could have died and been brought back to life by some strange Finn magic

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

In the last book Artur Hawkwing explicitly tells Mat that it wasn't him being hanged that severed the connection (Mat's confused since he doesn't know about the Rahvin death, at least not fully).

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I've always kinda assumed that Mat didn't die die on the tree, because he pops back up after Rand gives him a very little bit of CPR. I guess it depends on what exactly one considers "dead" but he probably wasn't, like, clinically dead or anything. And, of course, there's also the boots on/boots off comparison to Caemlyn.

Why did the latter break the Horn's connection? Because balefire is timey-wimey bullshit, obviously.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

El Grillo posted:

Cool, that adds up. She wasn't bad in the show.

Crazy to hear that they might be releasing s2 in about 6 months or so. Apparently they started filming in July and it sounds like they're still going, though I dunno whether they had a break because of covid.

Also, lol at this:

Gotta game of thrones the Wheel of Time.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

goethe.cx posted:

I thought of that but he arguably only almost dies. But I guess he could have died and been brought back to life by some strange Finn magic

It wasn't magic. It was CPR.

TSR Chapter 26 posted:

he ripped the rope away from Mat’s neck and pressed an ear to his friend’s chest. Nothing. Desperately, he tore open Mat’s coat and shirt, breaking the leather cord that held a silver medallion on Mat’s chest. He tossed the medallion aside, listened again. Nothing. No heartbeat. Dead. No! He’d be all right if I hadn’t let him follow me here. I can’t let him be dead! As hard as he could he pounded his fist against Mat’s chest, listened. Nothing. Again he hammered, listened. Yes. There. A faint heartbeat. It was. So faint, so slow. And slowing. But Mat was still alive despite the heavy purple welt around his neck. He might yet be kept alive.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

CainFortea posted:

Yes, but I guess that depends on how you define “dead.” “Capable of being revived using natural ways” versus “not capable of being revived absent balefire.” We normally don’t treat people revived by CPR as having died and lived again.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

cpr is knowledge from the age of legends so it was lews therin telling rand how to do that

the same goes for the heimlich manuever so if someone chokes on food they might be poo poo out of luck

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Rafe Judkins posted:

“Loial [Hammed Animashaun ]is not dead,” he told Entertainment Weekly. “He is alive and well and shooting in Prague. I wanted people to be a little on their toes, because real deaths are coming for characters that don’t die in the books. We have to, because we can’t hold 2,000 series regulars through multiple seasons.

“It’s coming, and I want people to emotionally prepare themselves. The thought that Loial might be gone will hopefully start to get people emotionally prepared, but I couldn’t. He’s my favorite.”
Stabbing Loial only then to go "haha not really dead tho" in an interview seems so pointless. It's another fake-out death like Nynaeve's from the burnout and Lan's and all the Aes Sedai with Logain, but this one doesn't even get revealed in the show, but in an interview.

It feels counterproductive to me. Fakeout deaths do nothing to help "raise the stakes". If anything it's the opposite. We've already gotten to the point where it's not "oh no the heroes might die!", it's "oh no, the heroes might not get miraculously healed from the brink of almost-death!" which is less exciting. Particularly now that apparently even Egwene-not-even-a-Novice-yet has super healing powers.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

CainFortea posted:

I'd never noticed that Rand tore away the medallion

That's a neat little detail in case he channeled

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

DarkHorse posted:

I'd never noticed that Rand tore away the medallion

That's a neat little detail in case he channeled

The medallion doesn't stop male channeling though (that's why he was killed by balefire from a male forsaken)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

The medallion doesn't stop male channeling though (that's why he was killed by balefire from a male forsaken)

Lightning. Balefire brought him back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

silvergoose posted:

Lightning. Balefire brought him back.

Whatever, ether way it doesn't stop the male half channeling so it wouldn't have mattered either way if Rand hadn't torn it away.