Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

mrbotus posted:

I started studying Mandarin Chinese in 2014. I lived in Taiwan for about a year and I'm conversationally fluent. I haven't done much studying the past year (2021), but I can still get by and read news articles as long as the subject isn't too specialized. It's a great language and my life was improved by learning it.

That inner joy you feel is the sensation of being in sync with the harmonic resonance and truth of Xi Jinping Thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Yep...

https://www.verywellfamily.com/the-value-of-earning-the-eagle-scout-rank-2958843

Military rank: Every branch of the U.S. military allows Eagle Scouts to enter at a higher rank and pay grade than others who are not Eagle Scouts.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

for all we know the tipping point could have been in oh, I don't know, 1982, and we wouldn't be any the wiser. :nsa:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zodium posted:

for all we know the tipping point could have been in oh, I don't know, 1982, and we wouldn't be any the wiser. :nsa:

saint Reagan set the United States free

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The tipping point was when the gays could get married. That's what my dad said anyway.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

No, but for real I had a teacher once state the fall of the Roman empire was due to straying from God (thus the moral assumptions that come from the kind of person saying that.) and that America will do the same once gay marriage is legal.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I enjoyed Scouts but that's cause our troop was basically a nature club and youth volunteer program (which I think is more in line with its purpose) but hooo boy did every time we interact with the superstructure orgs was it fuckin weird

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

saint Reagan set the United States free

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Starting on 9/11 this year I've 'season passed' Keith Olbermann on my tivo.

Also, Golden Girls.
As I sit here at 8am listening to a meeting that could have been an email, I thought I'd update this dear thread on my recent trip to applebees.

As reported before, I received a $100 gift card for applebees from someone who got it for christmas and didn't want it. I like free stuff, but hadn't been to applebees in years. Last time I went was when our town had widespread power outages due to weather events and the only place open with power was Applebees and the arbys that was next to it.

I downloaded the app from the app store so I could get my apps.

The order process was pretty painless, but the gift card wouldn't work unless I dialed an 800 number first. Once I did that it was able to be used in the app that I was going to use to get the apps.

I pulled up and the entire restaurant was filled with people sucking and loving. It was insane. I pulled into their parking spot and a nice masked girl came out and said hi to me. She took my name and went back to sucking and loving. She came back a few minutes later with the food.

Herein is my review:

Chicken Wonton Tacos - Best part of the meal. Actually had a nice flavor balance, was prepared well.

Bourbon Street Steak - The steak was actually cooked as well as I think it could have been. The cut was super cheap though, so it was kinda tough.

Shrimp 'N Parmesan Sirloin - Shrimp was the best part, but the steak was similar to the other one. Cheap cut - you can tell where the profit margin for this dish is coming from.

Kids Grilled Chicken Alfredo - My toddler didn't much like this. He loves noodles.

Flavored Lemonades - These were partially consumed. Too tart.

Total with tax and tip was $63.

The meal felt fine in that it was edible but it was pretty forgetful. But the total of $63 for the meal was insane.

Wife report: "it was fine but not worth $63".

Covid is OVER.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Zurtilik posted:

Yep...

https://www.verywellfamily.com/the-value-of-earning-the-eagle-scout-rank-2958843

Military rank: Every branch of the U.S. military allows Eagle Scouts to enter at a higher rank and pay grade than others who are not Eagle Scouts.

Oh yeah they loved trotting out this promo when I was still in scouts on the cusp of the war on terror.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zurtilik posted:

Isn't there like a whole thing where you get a bunch of perks if you join the military after obtaining X rank in the scouts?

I've always heard that becoming an eagle scout gives you access to some kind of easy mode. Sounds like some dumb boomer poo poo to me though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

thedavid posted:

As I sit here at 8am listening to a meeting that could have been an email, I thought I'd update this dear thread on my recent trip to applebees.

As reported before, I received a $100 gift card for applebees from someone who got it for christmas and didn't want it. I like free stuff, but hadn't been to applebees in years. Last time I went was when our town had widespread power outages due to weather events and the only place open with power was Applebees and the arbys that was next to it.

The order process was pretty painless, but the gift card wouldn't work unless I dialed an 800 number first. Once I did that it was able to be used in the app that I was going to use to get the apps.

I pulled up and the entire restaurant was filled with people sucking and loving. It was insane. I pulled into their parking spot and a nice masked girl came out and said hi to me. She took my name and went back to sucking and loving. She came back a few minutes later with the food.

Herein is my review:

Chicken Wonton Tacos - Best part of the meal. Actually had a nice flavor balance, was prepared well.

Bourbon Street Steak - The steak was actually cooked as well as I think it could have been. The cut was super cheap though, so it was kinda tough.

Shrimp 'N Parmesan Sirloin - Shrimp was the best part, but the steak was similar to the other one. Cheap cut - you can tell where the profit margin for this dish is coming from.

Kids Grilled Chicken Alfredo - My toddler didn't much like this. He loves noodles.

The meal felt fine in that it was edible but it was pretty forgetful. But the total of $63 for the meal was insane.

Covid is OVER.

The pretzels and pub cheese is good.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

thedavid posted:

All TL;DRs should be described as “wife reports” now.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Jon Irenicus posted:

I enjoyed Scouts but that's cause our troop was basically a nature club and youth volunteer program (which I think is more in line with its purpose) but hooo boy did every time we interact with the superstructure orgs was it fuckin weird

:same:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jon Irenicus posted:

I tried enjoying scouts, but my troop was a good old boys club, and since my group was a bunch of misfits, we weren't invited to do anything. The troop leader would flat out lie to our faces about it too.

My dad let me quit, probably because he had also had enough. I made the rank of first class.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I don't remember which way it went but either the Hitler youth were directly inspired off the boy scouts or the boy scout organizers saw what the Hitler youth were doing and were like "we're gonna make our organization more like this"

Edit: also the boy scouts were used as strikebreakers in the 20's lol

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Starting on 9/11 this year I've 'season passed' Keith Olbermann on my tivo.

Also, Golden Girls.

Platystemon posted:

All TL;DRs should be described as “wife reports” now.

:perfect:

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

thedavid posted:

Herein is my review:

Covid is OVER.

I appreciate your report because I've never been to applebees.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I was an eagle scout and look at me now

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

yoloer420 posted:

Step up your game! I use a similar setup to disinfect any goods/food I have delivered or otherwise bring into the house.

The initial setup was for groceries and other goods that I had coming into the house. This approach is just easier than washing things.

:hmmyes: yolo

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Thinking a lot about something Robert Evans said recently- the open up stuff is mostly a capitulation by our government to terrorist actions taken early in the pandemic, a bunch of weirdos with guns walking into local legislatures still holds more terror than the hundreds of thousands of deaths since then.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

BONGHITZ posted:

nerd

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Business Gorillas posted:

I don't remember which way it went but either the Hitler youth were directly inspired off the boy scouts or the boy scout organizers saw what the Hitler youth were doing and were like "we're gonna make our organization more like this"

Edit: also the boy scouts were used as strikebreakers in the 20's lol

Good. Any form of collectivism should be stopped by the citizenry. Report what you see or hear.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Tulip posted:

Thinking a lot about something Evan Williams said recently

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

BONGHITZ posted:

How weird are you?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:same:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Tulip posted:

Thinking a lot about something Robert Evans said recently- the open up stuff is mostly a capitulation by our government to terrorist actions taken early in the pandemic, a bunch of weirdos with guns walking into local legislatures still holds more terror than the hundreds of thousands of deaths since then.

I think about that one tweet that suggested the only freedom Americans actually care about is the freedom to go to chain restaurants

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Tulip posted:

All that was astroturf and allowed to happen to furnish a pretext to do nothing about the virus. If communists tried something like that they would have been locked up before they even got there

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This guy is an anti-lockdown, anti-masking, schools-must-open fucker who compared vaccine mandates to the rise of nazism in the 1930s and his tweets are obviously dumb as gently caress, but on the other hand the current capital-s "Science" touted by the White House and the CDC and every state governor is that infections simply don't happen in schools therefore they're the safest possible place for kids (mostly based on "studies" which used incomplete voluntarily-reported data from schools who were trying their darnedest to hide outbreaks, and they refused to acknowledge international studies which showed that schools are hella infectious places) so it turns out that the US really really does need new studies into all that stuff. If only to refute fuckers like this guy, but mostly to refute the CDC.

Ethical studies though, not randomized trials on school kids for a potentially lethal virus. :chloe: Basic surveillance testing & genomic sequencing on a few schools which had different restriction policies would have got us most of the way there.

just doing 100% twice a week testing in a random smattering of schools would have given us incredible amount of needed data.

but is almost certainly would have determined that schools are loving plague pits that need shutting down to contain spread (or exceptionally expensive mitigation measures) and capital couldn't risk that happening.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

just doing 100% twice a week testing in a random smattering of schools would have given us incredible amount of needed data.

but is almost certainly would have determined that schools are loving plague pits that need shutting down to contain spread (or exceptionally expensive mitigation measures) and capital couldn't risk that happening.

We did this and they are. You're welcome.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

thedavid posted:

Herein is my review:

Covid is OVER.

you will be dead within 1 month

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/mvario1/status/1483422392735178752?s=21

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

This proves that antivaxxers are a Russian plot, right

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Shifty Pony posted:

My school district does twice a week saliva testing and masking. I was surprised by how little spread there was in schools since they don't mask for snacks and in the cold they eat inside for lunch in the gym.

That being said, cases shot up the week before Christmas and this past week with both teachers and students. It really did seem that most cases came from other places and school didn't contribute much to the spread. Something like 50 teachers k-8 had positive cases last week, all of those would have been contracted over break

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Raccooon posted:

How weird are you?

I post on the something awful forums in the cspam Covid thread

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1483439297789366272

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Teenage Riot posted:

This proves that antivaxxers are a Russian plot, right

Both have huge populations that spent their formative years being led to the precipice of destruction by a sociopathic ruling class, and there’s no reason to think their current ruling class isn’t as cynical and capital obsessed as ours.

Biggest difference is they’re at least understandably traumatized from the early nineties.

Boomers in the states can only point to a terrorist attack that overwhelmingly did not impact them personally and not being able to go to Applebees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Jon Irenicus posted:

It entirely depends on the leadership of the troop. Mine was laid-back except for the insane Vietnam vet and didn't have any sex perverts. I really enjoyed my experience except for being forced to sell popcorn door to door.