Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Nitrousoxide posted:

Whatever, ether way it doesn't stop the male half channeling so it wouldn't have mattered either way if Rand hadn't torn it away.

Genuinely do not remember that limitation…I thought he asked for a way to be free of the one power, not just saidar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I don't think that's true, but I had to look it up to remember why:

"Foxhead Medallion posted:

The medallion has the ability to nullify both saidar and saidin. Its first protection from saidar comes in Rhuidean when Moiraine Damodred tries to Heal Mat from a drop of saliva from a Darkhound. Other Aes Sedai have tried to hold Mat with Air, with no success. Its first protection from saidin comes in Salidar, when Aran'gar, in the guise of Halima, channels at Mat. It is not known whether the protection works against the True Power as well.

I remember Halima getting pissed at Mat and tried to do something to him, and Mat looked at her when the medallion went cold and saw she was confused before running off. I think he assumed she was Aes Sedai instead of Aran'gar

The reason the lightning bolt worked is the same reason a thrown rock can hit him - it wasn't the Power touching him directly, just something the Power had manipulated into directing itself at him

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 18, 2022

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, I thought he died of lightning because it wasn't a direct Saidin construct; Rahvin created like a stormcloud and the lightning was natural enough to pierce Mat's immunity. Same way he wasn't immune to the fire in a building that had been started by the one power or how he got hit by the rocks Elayne threw at him while testing it.

We definitely see him immune to both halves of the source in other scenarios.

Zore fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 18, 2022

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wait then why did Mat get toasted by the lightning then?

Edit:

DarkHorse posted:

I don't think that's true, but I had to look it up to remember why:

The reason the lightning bolt worked is the same reason a thrown rock can hit him - it wasn't the Power touching him directly, just something the Power had manipulated into directing itself at him

Oh nevermind.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah there was an entire sequence on the ride to Ebou Dar where Vandene or Adeleas flew horse poo poo at him and then let go of the power and it just went splat on his back.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Zore posted:

Yeah, I thought he died of lightning because it wasn't a direct Saidin construct; Rahvin created like a stormcloud and the lightning was natural enough to pierce Mat's immunity. Same way he wasn't immune to the fire in a building that had been started by the one power or how he got hit by the rocks Elayne threw at him while testing it.

We definitely see him immune to both halves of the source in other scenarios.

The medallion also works when he gives it to Galad. Demandred tries to fry him instead of fighting him with a sword and it doesn't work because of the medallion. Though Demandred figures it out faster and starts chucking rocks at him almost immediately.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

seaborgium posted:

The medallion also works when he gives it to Galad. Demandred tries to fry him instead of fighting him with a sword and it doesn't work because of the medallion. Though Demandred figures it out faster and starts chucking rocks at him almost immediately.

I love when he tries this against Lan and Lan just loving dodges them all.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Rythian posted:

Stabbing Loial only then to go "haha not really dead tho" in an interview seems so pointless. It's another fake-out death like Nynaeve's from the burnout and Lan's and all the Aes Sedai with Logain, but this one doesn't even get revealed in the show, but in an interview.

It feels counterproductive to me. Fakeout deaths do nothing to help "raise the stakes". If anything it's the opposite. We've already gotten to the point where it's not "oh no the heroes might die!", it's "oh no, the heroes might not get miraculously healed from the brink of almost-death!" which is less exciting. Particularly now that apparently even Egwene-not-even-a-Novice-yet has super healing powers.
Nynaeve wasn't dead and therefore wasn't brought back to life by Egwene. In the Behind the Scenes for that episode they go a bit into the makeup and design of the "burning out" effect. Basically there are various levels of being burned out, depending on how much you draw above what you can normally channel. It goes from just having slightly crispy/glowing cheeks (Liandrin vs Logain, 1/10) to burned to a crisp (the two unfortunate wilders at Fal Dara, 10/10). IIRC, Nynaeve was supposed to be at like a 4/10, with Amalisa at like a 7/10 or so. I do think that difference was not obvious/visible enough.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I didn't say she was dead, I said it was a "fake-out death". Which it clearly was. She did a whole heroic sacrifice thing and then it was crying and wailing and sadness. The implication strongly being "oh poo poo Nynaeve died, sacrificing herself to save Egwene!" But then Egwene heals her with her tears and she's fine.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
She burnt herself out too, but I assume that doesn't mean the same thing as in the books.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Collateral posted:

She burnt herself out too, but I assume that doesn't mean the same thing as in the books.

Have they brought up her needing to be angry to channel? Maybe the burnout will be some bastardization of her block.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rythian posted:

Stabbing Loial only then to go "haha not really dead tho" in an interview seems so pointless. It's another fake-out death like Nynaeve's from the burnout and Lan's and all the Aes Sedai with Logain, but this one doesn't even get revealed in the show, but in an interview.

He's literally moving in the show. Dead people tend not to do that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Tell that to the girl in the Stone of Tear Rand found.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

:drat:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

I was VERY SPECIFIC in the words I picked. :colbert:

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

CainFortea posted:

He is stabbed in the chest and he collapses and goes limp to the ground as Padan Fain pulls out the ruby dagger that's been made clear to be extremely dangerous. He then has a few minor shifts of his leg as you can just about catch him in the corner of the screen.

Of course he's not dead, but pretending that the scene wasn't meant to be a cliffhanger "he might be dead, tune in next season!" is disingenuous.

Honestly NOT killing him is also dumb. Why didn't they kill him? Why leave him alive? They killed most everyone else there, they had plenty of opportunity. They clearly didn't have to rush away, Padan Fain had time for a nice chill expository chat with Perrin while sitting on the throne. Then they just strolled away in no hurry. I can buy them wanting to leave Perrin alive, but why not kill Loial?

Maybe they'll throw in a "The Dark One has plans for Loial, too!" or "We need him alive to gently caress with the ta'veren crew!" out of nowhere.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rythian posted:

Of course he's not dead, but pretending that the scene wasn't meant to be a cliffhanger "he might be dead, tune in next season!" is disingenuous.

You also just ignore the fact that the same scene has someone actually fully and clearly dying on screen. They literally show you "this is someone dying on screen" and then specifically do not do that for the other 2 named characters who have been stabbed.

It is not disingenuous. The complaints that it's a fakeout are though.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Rythian posted:

He is stabbed in the chest and he collapses and goes limp to the ground as Padan Fain pulls out the ruby dagger that's been made clear to be extremely dangerous. He then has a few minor shifts of his leg as you can just about catch him in the corner of the screen.

Honestly NOT killing him is also dumb. Why didn't they kill him? Why leave him alive? They killed most everyone else there, they had plenty of opportunity. They clearly didn't have to rush away, Padan Fain had time for a nice chill expository chat with Perrin while sitting on the throne. Then they just strolled away in no hurry. I can buy them wanting to leave Perrin alive, but why not kill Loial?

Maybe they'll throw in a "The Dark One has plans for Loial, too!" or "We need him alive to gently caress with the ta'veren crew!" out of nowhere.

Because people loving love Loial.

They're loyal to him.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

In the book didn't people basically get turned into a puddle of goo if they even get nicked by THE DAGGER?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nitrousoxide posted:

In the book didn't people basically get turned into a puddle of goo if they even get nicked by THE DAGGER?

Not really? Rand lived with it for almost a year at least :v:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Nitrousoxide posted:

it was wildly inconsistent depending on the needs of the plot.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

ta'veren!!!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Gwaihir posted:

I THINK only Rand survives it, and that's only due to some very extenuating circumstances

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

CainFortea posted:

You also just ignore the fact that the same scene has someone actually fully and clearly dying on screen. They literally show you "this is someone dying on screen" and then specifically do not do that for the other 2 named characters who have been stabbed.

No it was obviously a fakeout. And the show runner has confirmed he put fakeouts in the finale because he wanted there to be fakeouts in the finale. So yeah. Pick another horse

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I THINK only Rand survives it, and that's only due to some very extenuating circumstances

And Fain. At some point he nicks himself with it, well after its been established that The Dagger is Bad News.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hes barely human at that point, to be fair.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Ego Trip posted:

And Fain. At some point he nicks himself with it, well after its been established that The Dagger is Bad News.

Fain nicks himself with it right after cutting another guy causes him to immediately turn into a tortured mass of body horror. It was pretty clearly intended to show that he's enough linked with the dagger's evil that it won't touch him.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

silvergoose posted:

ta'veren!!!

Read this is Loial's voice

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
And Mat, iirc. Fain pokes him with it in the last book and Mat plays dead. But I think it's just them, Mat and Fain because they're already tainted by the dagger, or in Mat's case maybe the healing prevents further problems, and Rand because the wound fought with the wound Ishamael left on him and he got combined saidar and saidin healing very quickly afterwards.

Everyone else so much as scratched by it inflates like they're a giant boil and dies quickly and shockingly.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Read this is Loial's voice

That was the intended effect.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Spek posted:

And Mat, iirc. Fain pokes him with it in the last book and Mat plays dead. But I think it's just them, Mat and Fain because they're already tainted by the dagger, or in Mat's case maybe the healing prevents further problems, and Rand because the wound fought with the wound Ishamael left on him and he got combined saidar and saidin healing very quickly afterwards.

Everyone else so much as scratched by it inflates like they're a giant boil and dies quickly and shockingly.

Nah, that's part of the evil mist which Mat was cured of (and I guess inoculated against)

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

CainFortea posted:

How are you not exhausted from being wrong so often while constantly stanning for the show?

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I mean it was pretty clear though. The extras and Amalisa start burning with light and then their burny-faces go dark. They dead. Nynaeve got burny-face but she didn't go dark before she was healed.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Spek posted:

Hey, was the dagger still an instant kill after Rand blew up Shadar Logoth while cleaning Sadin? Because it's possible it lost that magical ability once the power source ceased to exist.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

jng2058 posted:

Hey, was the dagger still an instant kill after Rand blew up Shadar Logoth while cleaning Sadin? Because it's possible it lost that magical ability once the power source ceased to exist.

It wouldn't matter, because the dagger wound happens when Shadar Logoth still exists - it was directly over the wound Ba'alzamon gave him over Falme and their interaction is what gave him a clue about how to cleanse Saidin.

That's also probably what saved his life! They and getting Healed soon after.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Ogier are interdimensional aliens, I can buy them not being affected the same way as regular humans by the dagger.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

jng2058 posted:

Fain still had his powers, so maybe he was the new source.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Did the thread find this already? There was so much traffic from the show

https://twitter.com/TigraineMantear/status/1475527797795958785

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Skyl3lazer posted:

Did the thread find this already? There was so much traffic from the show

https://twitter.com/TigraineMantear/status/1475527797795958785

:golfclap: