Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Jerkface posted:

How can you hate 3?

Pretty easily!

It completely goes up it's own rear end focusing on new lore and secret organizations (for spinoffs) and a large part of the movie is John burning off his super special get out of jail free card to go on a desert spirit quest to find the King of All Assassins and get his death mark removed, which he throws away maybe 5 minutes after successfully doing so.

It's greatest crime is it sets up the idea of The Continental and the entirety of murder city turning against the High Table, then decides to just not do that so it can reset to almost exactly the same point JW2 ended at only with John having wasted his favours for no reason at all. Nothing that happens in the movie matters, John and Winston are both kind of diminished as characters, Lance Reddick's character is the only one that really comes out of this unscathed.

Also The Adjudicator is an incredibly bad villain, not threatening, intimidating or interesting in the slightest, and this character effortlessly succeeds in all their goals completely. They're not even hatable in a way that would make you hope they get headshot by John in the next movie, they just suck the air out the room when they're on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
JW3 is a weird one where supposedly they wanted to set up the politics of the underworld after realizing that they hadn't put in enough world building to pull it off just yet. Set up the high table as super powerful fat cats who play by their own rules, have John think he found an ally in the Continental only to realize that Winston only cared about his own class/power/status, etc.. If they pull off the crazy rebellion idea, it'll be great. Otherwise, yeah, it's going to look like a steady decline.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Unless John Wick 4 loving rules ofc

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

4 will have Adkins and if we get a big fight with Adkins I think that will be good enough for me.

Btw any of the GI Joe movies worth watching, I was only interested in Snake Eyes because it has Iko Uwais but seems like he has a side role.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
With Adkins I worry that they may waste him, I've just seen it happen before and it's so disappointing. I have no idea why he even agreed to be in American Assassin, there's no way they paid him enough for that to be worth it.

Donnie Yen I don't worry about, I just find it hard to believe that you cast Donnie loving Yen in a John Wick movie and then waste him.

Ulio posted:

Btw any of the GI Joe movies worth watching, I was only interested in Snake Eyes because it has Iko Uwais but seems like he has a side role.

They're not worth watching in the action movie sense, they're 2000s American blockbusters with all that entails. But I do enjoy them because they're extremely goofy and they didn't try to make GI Joe something that it's not.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 5, 2022

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

With Adkins I worry that they may waste him, I've just seen it happen before and it's so disappointing. I have no idea why he even agreed to be in American Assassin, there's no way they paid him enough for that to be worth it.

Donnie Yen I don't worry about, I just find it hard to believe that you cast Donnie loving Yen in a John Wick movie and then waste him.

They're not worth watching in the action movie sense, they're 2000s American blockbusters with all that entails. But I do enjoy them because they're extremely goofy and they didn't try to make GI Joe something that it's not.

Donnie Yen will probably get some good screen time just because he might be there for the Chinese market. I do worry about Adkins but he seems to be friendly with the director so hopefully its a big moment in the movie even if he is there just for 1 fight.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Basebf555 posted:

I love Adkins but if they have him in any roll where he has to shoot a gun it will be a waste. I haven't seen one shot yet so maybe he got some training but he really isn't that great with firearms (not that John Wick is that realistic outside of looking cool)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ulio posted:

any of the GI Joe movies worth watching, I was only interested in Snake Eyes because it has Iko Uwais but seems like he has a side role.
You need to watch the second one for the plot. Specifically the big ending with Cobra Commander where there is the most baffling series of events involving pressing big red buttons, it is literal non sequiter in the most literal sense.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The second one is horrible. Don’t trick someone into watching that.

Cobra commander blows up the entirety of London and no one cares lol.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

The second one is horrible. Don’t trick someone into watching that.

Cobra commander blows up the entirety of London and no one cares lol.

This makes me want to watch it more lmao This was the one with both Bruce Willis and The Rock and tons of reshoots right?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yep. But the reshoots aren’t really much. They added two scenes of Channing Tatum playing games with the rock.

Not much happens in the movie and the best stuff is very sparse. Like yeah Walton goggins shows up as the head of the secret prison but then it’s another 45 minutes of grounded spy action stuff and then the finale takes place on a lovely beach.

I don’t like rise of cobra much but at least it’s wacky

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Ulio posted:

If you squint really hard Cena is a GI Joe in Bumblebee.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Azubah posted:

If you squint really hard Cena is a GI Joe in Bumblebee.

I don't remember being able to see Cena in Bumblebee at all.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neo Rasa posted:

I don't remember being able to see Cena in Bumblebee at all.

Probably squinted too much.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I watched Fury Road for the first time yesterday then immediately watched it two more times

That movie is G O O D

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

verbal enema posted:

I watched Fury Road for the first time yesterday then immediately watched it two more times

That movie is G O O D

Whenever I watch Fury Road, my girlfriend enters the room during the scene when Max first encounters the wives. Every single time. I do wonder what kind of movie she thinks I'm watching.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I feel like if you were doing a ranked list of 21st century films, Fury Road would have to be in the top 5. And we're talking any genre, because it's one of those movies where it just totally blows you away and kinda redefines the medium itself in some ways. If it was like a desert island disc situation and I had to choose which movies I had to watch over and over again for the rest of my life, Fury Road would be on the short list and I imagine it would probably be the most recent movie on that list by far.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

verbal enema posted:

That movie is G O O D

I can’t think of a single sour note or missed opportunity in Fury Road. Even the scene where they’re stuck in the mud, which you would assume would sap its momentum, manages to be just as engaging as the rest of it. The ending is the most satisfying of any blockbuster in the last 25 years. It’s a perfect goddamn movie.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Splint Chesthair posted:

I can’t think of a single sour note or missed opportunity in Fury Road. Even the scene where they’re stuck in the mud, which you would assume would sap its momentum, manages to be just as engaging as the rest of it. The ending is the most satisfying of any blockbuster in the last 25 years. It’s a perfect goddamn movie.

Witness

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Splint Chesthair posted:

The ending is amazing, and everything up until the sandstorm is some of the best action ever.

The rest of the movie, while better than 99% of action movies, doesn't quite live up to the first act.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Watched Castle Falls with Dolph Lundgren and Scott Adkins. It's wasn't really that good imo. They weren't enough people for Scott Adkins to beat up and it took a lot of time for the main combat set piece to start. Seized was a better Adkins type movie from his recent stuff. Also the main villain wasn't interesting, usually the rest of the cast in Adkins movies are nobodies but a few times he has had unique villains at least.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
You're not even going to mention the Lundgren construction company? They had a big sign and everything.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Chow Yun-Fat would be a perfect addition to the Wick franchise. He was the first and best of the cool gunslingers.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Isn't he kinda blacklisted for being pro-democracy? I see he has a movie in post production but he hasn't done much recently.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Jimbot posted:

Chow Yun-Fat would be a perfect addition to the Wick franchise. He was the first and best of the cool gunslingers.

I finally just caved after a year of waiting for Hard Boiled to come out on streaming and bought the DVD and holy poo poo "cool" is definitely the way to describe him. His nonchalant lean/slouch is just such an iconic look.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Chas McGill posted:

Isn't he kinda blacklisted for being pro-democracy? I see he has a movie in post production but he hasn't done much recently.

I think hes just retired.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Turned on the Mortal Kombat movie from earlier this year then turned it right back off with how much of a "guys stepping in front of the mc's sword" vibe the first fight had. Does the fight choreo get better later?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Eh. It’s not a good movie at all but there’s some fun gore. Watch the scenes on YouTube for a better experience

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I thought it was fun. Nothing special but if your familiar with mortal kombat at all its enjoyable.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I sincerely liked it more than the 95 one which I’ve never really been into. I watched it when I was a kid (born in 91) and didn’t Dig it much then and have tried many times sense.

The new one had gore and a few fun moments which is more than the OG has for me. Sorry

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Watch the Scorpion cartoon for recent good MK content. I think there's a second cartoon that I haven't watched yet.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Boco_T posted:

Watch the Scorpion cartoon for recent good MK content. I think there's a second cartoon that I haven't watched yet.

This also has Joel McHale as Johnny Cage which is perfect casting.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BiggestBatman posted:

Turned on the Mortal Kombat movie from earlier this year then turned it right back off with how much of a "guys stepping in front of the mc's sword" vibe the first fight had. Does the fight choreo get better later?

The Scorpion and Sub Zero fights are the only ones they actually bothered to choreograph. The others are complete poo poo.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

You're not even going to mention the Lundgren construction company? They had a big sign and everything.

Ya that bit was funny. I just didn't like any of the story, they could have cut the part about his daughter having cancer or Adkins befriending a coworker, just gives us some drat action.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Stairmaster posted:

Re JW3: I think it's obvious in the movie that the raid guys are sandbagging against John Wick

They make a big point of giving him two (2) freebies in the fight--which incidentally has always been one of my favorite action movie tropes--but once everybody decides to really get down to business the size differential is, like, comical to look at. It's been a long minute since I saw it, but at one point I think they've got him on his knees, and he's still as tall as they are standing. I would not be mad at all about them turning up again. Since Adkins and Yen are apparently gonna be in 4, I think my only other big wishlist casting (off the top of my head) would be throwing Iko Uwais in there as well.

Neo Rasa posted:

I hope Mark Dascascos can return somehow he's so fuckin' awesome. Like just have him be back and fine no explanation.

That fight turned one-sided real fast, but it still had some great moments. Keanu irritably no-selling Dacascos' big opening monologue, then doing it again when Dacascos hits him with that "gotcha" sword move and grins like an rear end in a top hat, are peak comedy. The moment where Keanu (seems to be) giving Dacascos an opportunity to back out of the fight, only for Dacascos to clench his one remaining fist, was another good note. And recycling bad guys with zero explanation would absolutely be the right move for the series going forward. Adrianne Palicki should come back to call Wick a "loving pussy" at least twice in every one of these stupid movies.

Also, the big complaint with the John Wick movies in terms of plot is that the first one was clearly being arch and tongue-in-cheek, and each subsequent installment, for some reason, keeps trying to double-down on the characters and worldbuilding as being "actually serious". They keep going flashier and goofier, but apart from Laurence Fishburne's character, nobody really seems to be in on the joke any more.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/IsaacNabwana/status/1482219309652918279?t=0kkFgqfHiQQbaxKYODWRIA&s=19

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO9ctKn_Mdc

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

Also, the big complaint with the John Wick movies in terms of plot is that the first one was clearly being arch and tongue-in-cheek, and each subsequent installment, for some reason, keeps trying to double-down on the characters and worldbuilding as being "actually serious". They keep going flashier and goofier, but apart from Laurence Fishburne's character, nobody really seems to be in on the joke any more.

That's actually why I like them. I know it's silly. The people in it know it's silly. I don't need them to wink at me to let me know that they know that I know.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC_n_L1KGbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Is Roel Reiné one of those DTV directors people go for?