Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
'jesus take the wheel' is not just my motto, it's a way of life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1484250601626214402?s=21

hamtaro no!!

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Louisgod posted:

[tears streaming down my face, nose completed stuffed] this one's for you, mom *slides $20 into Wheel of Fortune slot machine*

(for real) lmao.

:sniffs: "it's not covid im crying. hit me"

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The city-data forums are the most racist backwards poo poo I've ever seen

When the pandemic started a bunch of guys on the pittsburgh one started posting about how glad they were that the "Democrat disease" was going to "empty out blue cities"

https://www.wbez.org/stories/who-is...paign=Web-Share

Biden is working on killing off his base, so they're not exactly wrong

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Louisgod posted:

[tears streaming down my face, nose completed stuffed] this one's for you, mom *slides $20 into Wheel of Fortune slot machine*

lmao

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Gio posted:

cspam covid thread is a mindset

every time i come here i get into a state of zen shitposting with likeminded idiots

"Omicron the throat goat" I mutter to myself in the vegetable aisle at the Hasidic grocery store

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

not available at any nearby store lol. cvs, wallgreens, rite aid, target, all sold out. brutal.

listen, jack. ask your state for a google, that'll fix you right up. it's not a federal problem. it's like when you go to a restaurant, it's across town, you want to go, your grandma's in town and you want to get those good memories in, running fingers along the hairs on the back of her leg after dinner, you know the drill. but you argue about directions for a while, like good american families do. then you google it. you fire up your machines and you google. that's how we'll get this thing done.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

The reason for that brief downturn? Obama. He put his thumb on the turd.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Smythe posted:

hard to find antigen tests. annoying.

Here you go, Jack

https://www.google.com/search?q=COVID+tests+near+me

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

etalian posted:

Pretty much every western nation has given up Zero Covid as a policy goal.

Comrade Xi and the Chinese people stand alone.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

(bunch of CIA goons rubbing hamsters with Covid soaked rags before shoving them in a crate bound for China)

Operation Hamtaro is GO

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
if they legalized psychedelics there could be bars even with mask mandates

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

that’s new right?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

kalensc posted:

I haven't read this dude's twitter so maybe he sucks, but his reasoning was okay IMO at the time?

Yes, he got owned due to the booster timing and Open Biden Omicron Boogaloo, but when Delta was raging his spacing of the first two doses gave him superior protection compared to folks that had both doses within a month back in early 2021.

Timing with the pregnancy seems good too? Again, without the benefit of hindsight.

Perhaps I'm the idiot since I ascribed to a similar approach on vaccine timing in 2021. At least he seems to put effort into protecting himself and his family, so if he made a misstep at least it was with good intentions.

he got owned because he assumed things would not get worse on an inconvenient timetable

when you are sufficiently crack pinged your assume the government is going to gently caress up, that society will gently caress up and that these fuckups are always right around the corner

if you are in that crack ping mindset, you do not have time to wait for the two marshmallows, you need that one marshmallow right now because you can’t trust the second marshmallow to ever appear

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Just quoting these for later. This thread is the best and is doing more to save lives than the government.

Platystemon posted:

You don’t want air to get from wherever your roommate is hanging out to wherever you’re eating, sleeping, and doing anything else incompatible with respirator use.

Central air will distribute air throughout the house. MERV 13 is not HEPA; it does not remove enough virosols in a single pass to make it safe.

You can either turn off the furnace, or you can make it heat only part of the house by sealing off vents in the rest of the house.

Let’s say you set up your bedroom as the safe room. Cover the air vent there. Large ziplog bags, with the side seams cut off to get one large sheet, are are good source of plastic for this. You want the plastic to extend past the vent on all sides so you can tape it cleanly to the ceiling, floor, or wall with two layers of masking or gaffer’s tape. The air pressure will try to force the tape off, so be generous with it.

There is likely a large gap under your interior door. Get “door bottom” weather stripping to close up this gap. Seal all around the door frame with weather stripping as well. How exactly you do this depends on the specifics of how the door is constructed and fitted. If the door doesn’t latch after the weather stripping is in place, loosening the screws on the strike plate may give you enough “play” to get it latching again.

By the way, make sure you remove this after this all blows over and you unseal the vent, because the gap under the door is intentional and necessary for conditioned air to make it to the air return.

Now put a box fan in the window to positively pressurize the room. Block the gap(s) this leaves in the window opening with cardboard and if necessary, tape. It doesn’t need to be hermetically sealed, just no gaping holes.

You can put filters on the fan if you’re worried about virosols being sucked in from the sidewalk or whatever, but you’re probably going to have to build a cube out of filters to get the resistance down and ensure the pressure you want. The goal is eight pascals. Your smartphone has a barometer built into it that can measure with this degree of precision. Put the phone on a table with the barometer app running. Note the figure. Now turn on the fan and hopefully you’ll see it go up by at least eight pascals. It’s not much in absolute terms—air pressure at sea level is about one hundred thousand pascals.

The Lasko Power Plus that Home Depot carries is a good fan. Check online for stores with stock because this is not the season when they are generally sold.

The by-the-book operation is to run the fan continuously. It can likely be on its lowest setting, at least when the door to the rest of the house is shut, and still provide enough pressure. Your climate may be warm enough for you to run the fan all the time. If you can’t stand this, you can at least pressurize the room when the door is open. Get radio controlled power plug for the fan so you can turn it on/off as you go in and out of the room, always having it running at full speed while the door is open.

Put one or more Corsi Cubes or other air purifiers around. Sick room, safe room, common areas could all benefit from them. Yes, you’re trying to control air movement and using the respirator anywhere the virus may be present, but the less of it floating around, the lower the chance that there’s any around to capitalize on small weaknesses in your defenses.

If I had only one air purifier, I would prioritize the safe room, then the common area, then the sick room, but I don’t really know what’s optimal. Is it better to capture virosols near their source, or better to ensure that the air you are most exposed to is absolutely clean? I don’t know. Someone should model it.

You can totally shower in a 6200 with 7093 cartridges. For a couple weeks, you’ll have to towel off your face on the patio. What’s more annoying is having to shave without running water.

sonatinas posted:

https://cleanaircrew.org/air-cleaners/

https://mobile.twitter.com/marwa_zaatari/status/1429629474878988288/photo/1

her twitter has a bunch of other graphs for comparison, the just shows a one filter cube, I can’t find the 4-5 filter chart right now

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Hopefully someone will find this for you but I think it was on this person’s Twitter:

https://twitter.com/marwa_zaatari/s...pagenumber%3D11

I have to get ready for telehealth therapy lmao so I don’t have time to search atm, but I decided to buy a Conway Airmega 250 based on that chart and I think this is the person who made the chart and I found it searching her Twitter. Love the Airmega 250 btw.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Walensky's still a loving idiot

https://twitter.com/Alexander_Tin/status/1484008490372849674

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

McNugget Buddy posted:

Each state getting 1000 doses of mAbs/week isn't going to cut it

A great reason to try and not get COVID right now even if you assume you will get it for sure eventually.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Smythe posted:

BOTH of my bank branches within walking distance are CLOSED for an indeterminate amount of time. so now i have to drive me car somewhere to get laundry quarters? like a cave man? insanely hosed up.

Look at this bougie gently caress doing laundry. I bet you smell like a prince!

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kind of want to take air samples at an animal shelter just to see Americans react to "we have to kill all the pets if we want to get rid of COVID"

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Platystemon posted:

You don’t want air to get from wherever your roommate is hanging out to wherever you’re eating, sleeping, and doing anything else incompatible with respirator use.

Central air will distribute air throughout the house. MERV 13 is not HEPA; it does not remove enough virosols in a single pass to make it safe.

You can either turn off the furnace, or you can make it heat only part of the house by sealing off vents in the rest of the house.

Let’s say you set up your bedroom as the safe room. Cover the air vent there. Large ziplog bags, with the side seams cut off to get one large sheet, are are good source of plastic for this. You want the plastic to extend past the vent on all sides so you can tape it cleanly to the ceiling, floor, or wall with two layers of masking or gaffer’s tape. The air pressure will try to force the tape off, so be generous with it.

There is likely a large gap under your interior door. Get “door bottom” weather stripping to close up this gap. Seal all around the door frame with weather stripping as well. How exactly you do this depends on the specifics of how the door is constructed and fitted. If the door doesn’t latch after the weather stripping is in place, loosening the screws on the strike plate may give you enough “play” to get it latching again.

By the way, make sure you remove this after this all blows over and you unseal the vent, because the gap under the door is intentional and necessary for conditioned air to make it to the air return.

Now put a box fan in the window to positively pressurize the room. Block the gap(s) this leaves in the window opening with cardboard and if necessary, tape. It doesn’t need to be hermetically sealed, just no gaping holes.

You can put filters on the fan if you’re worried about virosols being sucked in from the sidewalk or whatever, but you’re probably going to have to build a cube out of filters to get the resistance down and ensure the pressure you want. The goal is eight pascals. Your smartphone has a barometer built into it that can measure with this degree of precision. Put the phone on a table with the barometer app running. Note the figure. Now turn on the fan and hopefully you’ll see it go up by at least eight pascals. It’s not much in absolute terms—air pressure at sea level is about one hundred thousand pascals.

The Lasko Power Plus that Home Depot carries is a good fan. Check online for stores with stock because this is not the season when they are generally sold.

The by-the-book operation is to run the fan continuously. It can likely be on its lowest setting, at least when the door to the rest of the house is shut, and still provide enough pressure. Your climate may be warm enough for you to run the fan all the time. If you can’t stand this, you can at least pressurize the room when the door is open. Get radio controlled power plug for the fan so you can turn it on/off as you go in and out of the room, always having it running at full speed while the door is open.

Put one or more Corsi Cubes or other air purifiers around. Sick room, safe room, common areas could all benefit from them. Yes, you’re trying to control air movement and using the respirator anywhere the virus may be present, but the less of it floating around, the lower the chance that there’s any around to capitalize on small weaknesses in your defenses.

If I had only one air purifier, I would prioritize the safe room, then the common area, then the sick room, but I don’t really know what’s optimal. Is it better to capture virosols near their source, or better to ensure that the air you are most exposed to is absolutely clean? I don’t know. Someone should model it.

You can totally shower in a 6200 with 7093 cartridges. For a couple weeks, you’ll have to towel off your face on the patio. What’s more annoying is having to shave without running water.

great post

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
One thing that has been interesting trying to walk the line on during all this is my kid has been going through some issues with the fear of sickness and vomit...this preceded the pandemic. We've been doing therapy for a few years and things have been going pretty well but it sure was something trying to ignore my child's instincts to protect themselves from sickness in order to help them get over the mental anxiety it causes all while in the middle of a pandemic.

Child Psychologist: You can't reinforce the compulsions that your child has about touching door handles and not wanting to go into restaurants. You must not enable that behavior.

Me in my head: but they are right though......

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Smythe posted:

hard to find antigen tests. annoying.

It is dumb AF but I have luck camping out Walmart's and Walgreens' sites at late at night western and dumb early eastern, the insomnia hour 3 to 5 am est. Seems when the inventory is updated around that hour nobody notices bc they're asleep

If you've got health insurance check to see if they'll send you some tests, I'm with Anthem BCBS and they'll just keep sending me tests but it's only one box of 2 for a family it seems so that's why I camp out Walmart like some pandemic nerd on a quest for better health care

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://www.wbez.org/stories/who-is...paign=Web-Share

Biden is working on killing off his base, so they're not exactly wrong

Joe Biden: If you die from Covid, well you ain't black!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
any confirmation of efficacy of MABs for BA.1 vs BA.2?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

empty whippet box posted:

my attempt to see this positively is that everyone is giving me a chance to get ahead of them in life that I never would have had before. If I can avoid catching covid ever again then eventually I will be king of america

This has been the mindset I've defaulted to in order to stay sane. I've had nothing but a string of lovely abusive jobs my entire working life, maybe if labor was more valuable, then employers will stop abusing me and pay me enough to live in my community

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

McNugget Buddy posted:

BA.2 The Future

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Delta-Wye posted:

just gotta hurry up and make more people, matty was right all along

Yeah but we're killing the children too, now what?

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

UFOTacoMan posted:

One thing that has been interesting trying to walk the line on during all this is my kid has been going through some issues with the fear of sickness and vomit...this preceded the pandemic. We've been doing therapy for a few years and things have been going pretty well but it sure was something trying to ignore my child's instincts to protect themselves from sickness in order to help them get over the mental anxiety it causes all while in the middle of a pandemic.

Child Psychologist: You can't reinforce the compulsions that your child has about touching door handles and not wanting to go into restaurants. You must not enable that behavior.

I'm sorry to tell you but your kid is an oracle and predicted this

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zisky posted:

Thinking of starting one of Adriene's 30 day challenges. Those drat videos seem like the only thing keeping my anxiety at reasonable levels these days.

I started the new one it’s very nice

maybe a little faster than her earlier ones

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
thank you for the TIPS everybody :tipshat:

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Zodium posted:

one thing we should probably consider producing are guidelines for protecting yourself from an airborne pathogen that our various health authorities refused to produce. the need for respirators/n95 and their best practices won't be changing, principles of air flow management won't change, isolation procedures and air purification won't change, etc., so this is something that realistically could be crowdsourced from old posts into a manual as a one time deal and updated only lightly.

All of those things already exist they were just roundly ignored for SARS-CoV-2, lmao

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

am i getting this right:

everyone's looking for rapid antigen tests despite the small (but not insignificant) chance of false-negative because

a) this is what employers/schools/childcare places are looking for as it's the quickest way to get asses back in seats (or out of seats, but we all know it's mostly for getting them in), and
b) many people live in areas where PCR testing capabilities are being or have already been dismantled.

if you elect to take the higher fidelity PCR, then you're basically

a) pissing off the boss because you're out while waiting for the results to come back, and
b) eating up lost wages/PTO.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

does anyone have the “when to wear a mask ?” chart

I hate this woman “wear a mask is a simple as can be” god drat her

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ahh gently caress

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

space chandeliers posted:

am i getting this right:

everyone's looking for rapid antigen tests despite the small (but not insignificant) chance of false-negative because

a) this is what employers/schools/childcare places are looking for as it's the quickest way to get asses back in seats (or out of seats, but we all know it's mostly for getting them in), and
b) many people live in areas where PCR testing capabilities are being or have already been dismantled.

if you elect to take the higher fidelity PCR, then you're basically

a) pissing off the boss because you're out while waiting for the results to come back, and
b) eating up lost wages/PTO.

even if you pop positive your work might just say to come in anyway lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

she cited “complicated science”

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

UFOTacoMan posted:

My lifelong germophobia has served me incredibly well the past two years. All this poo poo that people had to get used to about not touching stuff, I've been doing that for like two decades already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Delta-Wye posted:

i thought covid is over, this is really lovely news

The end of covid is just over the next peak!