Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Sex Pistols is also definitely a more annoying Stand to have on you at all times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
and you don’t have to feed salami to Emperor

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Sex pistols is the best stand ever

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wonder if sex pistols could consistently redirect emperor's bullets

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

FirstAidKite posted:

I wonder if sex pistols could consistently redirect emperor's bullets

They would probably be blown away by Emperors Bullets. Cause the Bullets are part of the stand, and unlike Mundane bullets Emperor's bullets can hurt stands. Even if they were able to be redirected they could just change direction again and avoid the Pistol. They were capable of avoiding Silver Chariot's slashes after all.

Edit: One of the reasons Araki changed his mind about Hol Horse joining the team was because he made his stand too powerful. It did not have enough limits and would have been hard to write fights for.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 20, 2022

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Polnareff is also an idiot though and sex pistols specifically has the power to redirect bullets

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

goblin week posted:

and you don’t have to feed salami to Emperor

All stands would be vastly improved if you had to feed them like they were tamagotchis.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

FirstAidKite posted:

Polnareff is also an idiot though and sex pistols specifically has the power to redirect bullets

Sex Pistols kicks normal unable to harm stand bullets. Emperor's bullets can harm stands so they would probably get blow apart when they go to intercept.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Being able to simply shoot a Stand is the perfect example of an ability that doesn't sound spectacular, but is actually ridiculously powerful.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I largely agree Hol Horse would have been kind of super good on the team. Like here are all the Stands in part 3 that showed up after Hol Horse and how he could potentially deal with them.

Empress: Just blow it off the arm (Empress was pretty weak and I can only really see it being useful against normal people)
Wheel of Fortune: Redirect Bullet into ZZ's window and snipe him.
Justice: We saw this encounter. Would have been in Hol Horse's favor had he not gotten stabbed in the arm before hand.
Lovers: Assuming the exact same setup but Hol Horse is an ally, he's not super helpful here. Shrink the bullet?
The Sun: Assuming he can see through the trick like everyone did, he can just snipe the guy like Jotaro did with a rock.
Death 13: He would be in the same situation as everyone else.
Judgement: He would probably make short work of it like Avdol did.
High Priestess: He would be in the same situation as everyone else.
Bastet: He shoots Mariah, it's kind of trivial for him if he's willing.
Seth: He just shoots Alessi, it's kind of trivial for him.
Osiris: Same situation as everyone else.
Horus: He snipes the bird.
For the remainder he's in the same situation as everyone else.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's interesting that Araki thought Emperor was overpowered but we still got Sex Pistols, Foo Fighters, Tusk, and Soft & Wet. At least two of these have bullet trajectory control, too, like Emperor had!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's interesting that Araki thought Emperor was overpowered but we still got Sex Pistols, Foo Fighters, Tusk, and Soft & Wet. At least two of these have bullet trajectory control, too, like Emperor had!

They have more limits then Emperor. And Emperor was made really early on in Stand creation.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

MonsterEnvy posted:

Lovers: Assuming the exact same setup but Hol Horse is an ally, he's not super helpful here. Shrink the bullet?

would love to see everyone reacting to Hol Horse offering to shoot Joseph in the head but he'll shrink the bullet so it only hits the enemy stand he swears for realsies, he's got this

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
He can make a tiny emperor for hierophant green to hold

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Hol Horse beats the older D’Arby brother because instead of bluffing he’s panicking while having a royal flush

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Hol horse and Polnareff should work on making a gunblade stand.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Love that the parrot's stand power is parroting events it saw.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Hol Horse/Josuke comic owns so far and really nails why Josuke is the best JoJo.
As said before in the thread, really does read as though it's written by people who understand JoJo, and the characters they're writing.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

So doing a watchalong with my sister who's new to the franchise and we just got to Tower of Grey, and I told her that going forward a lot of stands would be references to horror movies and she made an observation that shook me to my core;

Is the term "stand" itself a reference to Stephen King's The Stand?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's a reference to a lamp which stood on Araki's desk

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
it's called a stand because it's a guy that stands beside you.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's called a stand because it stands in the place where you are much like the REM song :v:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

No Dignity posted:

It's a reference to a lamp which stood on Araki's desk

The canon deep JoJo lore

quote:

My doubt over supernatural powers helped me come up with Stands. I doubt such powers like, "Just think hard enough and things will begin to move." I don't see anything? How can you say your "willpower" moved things? I wanted something visible that could explain these powers. For example, if a person is in the dark and something moves, you can't really see what's happening. But, if something visible pops out from the person and actually touches things and moves them, then you'd say, "Oh, I see!" Stands are proof of those superpowers, basically my way of explaining how these invisible powers work. Well, they're kind of like "pseudo" proof, but they still work as an explanation (laugh).

I called it a "stand" after "light stands," the type that sit beside your bed in a "looming" manner when you read.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Araki's inner monologues are loving amazing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Funky Valentine posted:

Araki's inner monologues are loving amazing.

I love his author notes in the volume releases
https://jojo.fandom.com/wiki/Author%27s_Note

volume 55 posted:

Observation of the nature surrounding us, N°3.
My workplace (on the second floor) shelters a wide range of lifeforms. First, the ants. They sometimes stroll on my sketches; I tried to find where they came from... only to see them come out of the electrical outlet. Since there was nothing I could do, I let them be. Then the lizards. Surely coming from the airducts, they only come out at night so I also leave them alone. Finally the sparrows. Even if I regularly close the doors and the windows, sometimes they come flying around the studio. Where do they come from, this is a complete mystery.

Volume 56 posted:

I have been asking myself for a long time: why do foreign movies come out in Japan so much later than in other countries?
When it's an American blockbuster, I can understand that it comes out after the United States, but looking at the "Men in Black" trailer, at the end I saw the names of every country it was already out. I realized how much Japan was lagging behind! My patriotism took a heavy hit and that's why I've decided to talk about it! Please show us these movies sooner!

volume 57 posted:

Sometimes when reading famous people's biographies, I find common points and that profoundly touches me and gives me courage. In the Post-War period lived a famous stylist by the name of Christian Dior. Rumors had it that he couldn't keep himself from gardening when returning from work. And I thought "I'm like him!! Gardening appeases my heart!! And I hate cats'droppings!!"

volume 60 posted:

Here is the top 5 of my favorite toys

1. Phosphorescent skeleton (When it shines at night, it feels like I'm in a fairy tale.)
2. Bouncing ball (This piece of rubber took me into a science-fiction universe.)
3. Resident Evil(Playstation) (It's so great!)
4. A Thunderbird II model (I love the design and I find that the container's conception was very clever! I really had the impression I could go anywhere with this.)
5. Lego or Mega Bloks
(I spent whole days assembling and disassembling the piece to make new models. I think that Lego is the Western philosophy in its entirety.)

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Ah, so it's a complete coincidence that it's the name of a Stephen King book, like how DIO canonically isn't actually named after Ronnie James Dio

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

My workplace (on the second floor) shelters a wide range of lifeforms. First, the ants. They sometimes stroll on my sketches; I tried to find where they came from... only to see them come out of the electrical outlet. Since there was nothing I could do, I let them be. Then the lizards. Surely coming from the airducts, they only come out at night so I also leave them alone. Finally the sparrows. Even if I regularly close the doors and the windows, sometimes they come flying around the studio. Where do they come from, this is a complete mystery.

Hirohiko Araki, Disney princess.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Never forget Araki's list of Top 10 movies that had Shrek and I, Robot on it.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

I never watched any jojo dubbed before and I really wish I had, going through part 4 with english dubs is amazing

it got a lot of laughs out of me but the delivery when kira talks about mona lisa's hands keep giving me the giggles

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8ZXCRuFLrY

:allears:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Imagine if they kept doing accents when they dubbed part 5

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I love the authors notes where he's saying do NOT climb trees and his pic is him in a tree and the one where he goes to bat for mt.kita, cos it's still cool even though mt.fuji is better in all regards

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

also thunderbird 2 absolutely rules araki is a patrician

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
here's a weird one:

https://twitter.com/JoJoVSBot/status/1486806448965406731

I think it ultimately depends who dies first, and how. Also wtf happens if Carne dies first and then Masazo dies (either from BIG directly or from BIG seeing his back) and Cheap Trick transfers to BIG

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Does Notorious BIG even have a back?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think there's any 'winning' to be happening with that matchup

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Carne had a stand that popped out before he died, presumably it did something other than just being a death release bomb

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lmao

he is right tho

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

somepartsareme posted:

Carne had a stand that popped out before he died, presumably it did something other than just being a death release bomb

the stand that popped up before he died was Notorious BIG. it had the same mask and eyes, but normal humanoid body instead of looking all melted.
I wouldn't assume BIG had any other function, considering that stands like Cheap Trick and Highway to Hell served no purpose without killing their user. The Stand only manifested after Carne was first shot by Mista, so either the Stand appearing just indicates that the trap has been sprung or the Stand is actively trying to provoke Mista into killing Carne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I want to say that Carne wouldn't have risen so high in the organization with a stand that does nothing, but keeping someone around just for the threat of sending them to kill themselves at someone sounds like something that would happen in Jojo