Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

ZShakespeare posted:

I’d rather die than put on a tux

Died WITH a bowtie not OF a bowtie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

RBC posted:

Maybe they would get more "volunteers" if they paid them.

I mean, you kinda are paid. You take time off your 'usual' job and go and do deal with whatever new disaster while getting paid as usual

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Bleck posted:

"Died as a direct result of symptoms of covid infection or subsequent complications thereof" seems pretty simple actually?

Lets look at some examples.

A patient goes to the ER with breathing trouble, ends up on a ventilator, has a heart attack and dies. If this person was positive for covid, it's a safe bet covid was the cause. Covid brought them to the ER in the first place, and very likely caused the heart attack.

Another covid positive person is in a bad car accident. They're brought to hospital but die a few days later, also of heart attack. You can argue that covid makes heart attacks more likely, but it seems a minor factor here so this one probably doesn't get covid listed as a cause.

A trickier example is an 85 year old with advanced alzheimers, obesity and a history of heart problems. They were looking quite close to death, then tested positive for covid, then died a few days later, also of heart attack. Was covid the cause? How does one determine this? Is covid the cause if it takes a year off your life? What about a day off your life? Determining this is basically left to the judgement of the doctor that writes the death certificate.

The last one may sound like an edge case but it isn't-- most covid deaths in North America occur in elderly people with multiple comorbidities. So if you start really digging in it gets very complicated very quickly. This is why when looking at population-level numbers its better to use excess deaths.

Anyway, lets pull this back a bit. If that Ontario policy about reporting covid deaths is about changing what goes on the death certificate, then I oppose that. Doctors need to be free to fill those out using their own judgement without pushback from the peanut gallery. If its about reporting stats with more nuance then cool, go for it. As I mentioned other provinces are already doing this, including Nova Scotia which has a good track record for the pandemic.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Alctel posted:

I mean, you kinda are paid. You take time off your 'usual' job and go and do deal with whatever new disaster while getting paid as usual

When they asked for potential volunteers in hospital they were explicit you'd receive your normal wage, it was volunteering for redeployment.

However in that case it looks like they're asking UW Pharmacy students who as students make approximately zero dollars.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They're being paid in exposure

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Eej posted:

CanPol 2022 - They're being paid in exposure

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Canpol: They are being paid in, and dying of, exposure

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
The sjwflakes finally cancelled Jorp, rest in piss to a :canada: legend

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hmm, not exactly how I imagined Jorp leaving, and I'm amazed I didn't hear about this earlier. But as a service, I will quote the relevant parts of his pissy resignation letter to the Post with the relevant context, just as he would:

quote:

they had to haul my skeleton out of my office

quote:

My students are also partly unacceptable precisely because ... of my unacceptable philosophical positions

quote:

we're ... a generation of researchers utterly unqualified for the job ... lecturing inanely and blithely and in an accusatory manner

quote:

Just exactly what am I supposed to do when I meet a graduate student or young professor... a slap in the face to a truly meritorious young outsider?

Sorry I lied, I gave up halfway through and can't recommend anyone else subject themselves to that drivel.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Man, that's some serious chaos energy he's exhibiting. Get hosed, Lobster boi.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

eXXon posted:

Hmm, not exactly how I imagined Jorp leaving, and I'm amazed I didn't hear about this earlier. But as a service, I will quote the relevant parts of his pissy resignation letter to the Post with the relevant context, just as he would:

Sorry I lied, I gave up halfway through and can't recommend anyone else subject themselves to that drivel.

Missed one of the better quotes:

quote:

my qualified and supremely trained heterosexual white male graduate students

It is definitely drivel, but I thought it was hilarious. His head is so far up his own rear end he can see the massive amounts of beef from his diet moving through his colon.

MagicCube fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 21, 2022

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

His resignation letter is like that sowing and reaping tweet. The guy spends all his time trolling everyone and then starts whining when everyone gets mad at him.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
Not surprising after his CBC is too diverse rants or whatever a few weeks ago. This guy sucks.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Ed the Sock?

I mean, yes, but also it's a loving sock puppet that was vaguely popular on regional television 25 years ago, I can't imagine who could possibly care what Ed the Sock has to say about anything.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Ed the Sock pivoted to political commentary some time ago and there's nothing of value there. Just another conservative disguised as a "just asking questions" centrist except he's a washed late night personality from 20 years ago.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
This is part of the natural life cycle of the gen-x comedian.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

Ed the Sock pivoted to political commentary some time ago and there's nothing of value there. Just another conservative disguised as a "just asking questions" centrist except he's a washed late night personality from 20 years ago.

I’d like to think somewhere under a bed is the left Ed the Sock

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I’d like to think somewhere under a bed is the left Ed the Sock

one case where the public is less crusty and dirty than the private

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I agree with the talking sock that Jordan Peterson is a loving idiot.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i feel like this is jorps last gasp at relevance before he dies of eating too many hamburgers

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Can you imagine how bad that guy must smell all the time

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Kibayasu posted:

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Kibayasu posted:

You can see where his viewpoints really lie though because he somehow wrote the words that Peterson made "valuable" and "thought-provoking" points. So he thinks that Peterson is on the right track, but just too crazy about it.

Jorp has never had a thought-provoking idea come out of his mouth and this is giving him way too much credit.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

IDK, he's provoked thoughts wondering how a grown man is moved to tears recounting Disney adaptations of fairy tales, and how that man became a tenured professor.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

infernal machines posted:

IDK, he's provoked thoughts wondering how a grown man is moved to tears recounting Disney adaptations of fairy tales, and how that man became a tenured professor.

idgi, that sounds like a guy who rules, how come he's jorp instead

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
He can go hang out with Douthat, who recently became deeply concerned that without Disney princesses having romantic relationships, children will no longer want to have families.

Now there's a dude who shouldn't be allowed to live near a school, goddamn...

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

That poo poo about "these days, straight white men are discriminated against!" was told to me so many times applying to medical school as a straight white guy. Conservatives love the idea that PC culture has run amok and being a straight white guy is as disadvantaged as you can get.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

something something christianity is the most oppressed religion

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
BC has opted to go the Full Florida:

https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/1484593508019179521?t=KKqxZZfCHLbvq6eh7JPaYg&s=19

Told y'all: we are low-key the worst province in Canada.

(Good luck and stay safe my fellow BC goons :ohdear:)

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I'd like to say I'm surprised, but I'm just not.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
We are just a knock off USA with a population just as malicious and shortsighted, and it's only by a few accidents of history that we have the advantages we do like UHC.

There's not enough ambulances in Alberta for a boy who broke his femur, but we have money to try and provoke war in Ukraine and feed bodies to the covid mines in spite.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Franks Happy Place posted:

https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/1484593508019179521?t=KKqxZZfCHLbvq6eh7JPaYg&s=19

lol we are all dead.
If you feel okay live your life indeed.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

A few weeks ago Kathleen Wynne was trending because she said something negative about ol' Dougie and people latched onto that to say that she would've handled the pandemic better.

Horgan is just ongoing proof that nominally 'better' centre-left parties would still gently caress everything up in service of capital.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Just live your life, goons.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
People that want to open everything up and try to go back to normal right now are so dangerously ignorant, stupid and selfish that they are a potential threat to everyone else and should be treated as such.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Tsyni posted:

Just live your life, goons.

Just let your freak flag fly*

*unless you’re in ADTRW

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

You loving said it.

https://twitter.com/GoranConway/status/1484654497548980234

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Well, BC out-Alberta'd Alberta.

Fan-loving-tastic, and god help us all.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's fine, it only kills people who are useless to society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's fine, it only kills people who are useless to society.
Hasn't taken out a single premier yet.