Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Im going to disagree a bit on the love for Assassins Creed Odessey. I did enjoy it, but the story of it felt very disconnected and weird. So much of it felt like padding and the way that the cult "worked" was so silly. It is the only modern AC game I've ever played though so that might be it.

I honestly don't remember much about the story, and haven't finished it yet

But from what I do remember I'd say that odyssey is good in spite of it's main story. Most of what makes it good in my mind is the side stories and Kassandra herself being a fantastic main character for them. There's just a lot of great moments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

YggiDee posted:

Is the Witcher series the only good book -> video game adaptation?

STALKER is kind of indirectly based on Roadside Picnic. Some of the PS2(?) LOTR brawlers were pretty good.

Maybe the old Hitch-hikers guide text adventure?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Give assassin's Creed to RGG so they can fully embrace side stories is I guess what I'm saying

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shawshank Redemption was ok and pulled a lot from King's prose but I never understood why they made it a kart racer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lobok posted:

Shawshank Redemption was ok and pulled a lot from King's prose but I never understood why they made it a kart racer.

GET BUSY LIVIN
OR GET BUSY DRIVIN

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

YggiDee posted:

Depends on your definition of “good” but lots of Japanese games pull heavily from the esteemed masterpiece “Lolita”

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CJacobs posted:

Mom Fallout will help the game feel a bit less ridiculous!

I feel like this misses the point of Fallout

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

haveblue posted:

I feel like this misses the point of Fallout

It's also a central complaint of 4 that the series went overboard on the wackiness-for-the-sake-of-it. The game goes for a grounded family-saving body-swapping mystery for the main plot, and then couches it in essentially tonal potpurri. However I feel like those folks complaining did not play Fallout 1 or 2, the game where you can take radioactive medicine that makes you grow an extra toe and then get it removed and eat the extra toe to poison yourself and have the game shatter the fourth wall to say WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU, WHY DID YOU JUST DO THAT

edit: Fallout 3 also lost track of itself in a similar way but I found it really hilarious. After you save your dad you are told to meet him at the purifier which is half the game world away. Turns out you can run with him even if you aren't really supposed to- he actually diligently jogs there as an NPC in the game world, traipsing through SO MANY enemy camps and encounters and he cannot under any circumstances die, so it just totally breaks the previous revelation of "I just lived a twilight zone story to save my dad from virtual reality!" into "this is still absolutely a video game and your dad WILL ragdoll". Both ridiculous but only the latter is the arguably bad kind.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 15:36 on Jan 21, 2022

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

That's one of the benefits of how New Vegas did it with the Wild Wasteland perk. Let the player decide the level of wackyness. But it also means that if you move away from that you now disappoint a part of your audience. Which to be fair wasn't Bethesda's fault.

Especially since it changed the default level from wacky to "serious".

Hel has a new favorite as of 15:41 on Jan 21, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The ultimate tonal whiplash in Fallout 4 arrives ten minutes into the game. You meet the dog in front of an absolutely massive sign advertising the Red Rocket gas station. After that I was like "alright I see what they're going for this time around."

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
Fallout works best when it pretends to take itself seriously but winks and nods at you because it knows you're in on the joke. 4 doesn't do that, it tries to have its cake and eat it too.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Sally posted:

Also, in Witcher 2 I got drunk, played darts, arm wrestled, and got more drunk with a bunch of allied soldiers until I blacked out. Geralt woke up naked next to the river and had to backtrack what he'd done to get his clothes and equipment back. it also turned out that he got a really bad tattoo of a naked woman waving a sword on his neck. You can it removed but it's an optional quest--I thought it was funny, so I left it.

I had forgotten all about it until I imported my save into the Witcher 3 and Geralt STILL had the tattoo. drat amazing attention to detail.

There's more "getting drunk and making questionable life choices" in Witcher 3 so look forward to that :haw:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So I've been playing Hot Wheels Unleashed alot lately, and one of my favorite little details is that as the race goes on your cars get more wear and tear on them, like paint scratches and greasy fingerprints, exactly how it happens with the actual toy cars.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Chloe Jessica posted:

Fallout works best when it pretends to take itself seriously but winks and nods at you because it knows you're in on the joke. 4 doesn't do that, it tries to have its cake and eat it too.

This is the ideal Bethesda tone for recent games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6hVmn9FM7o

It just can't be deliberate. Like the Giant Space Program in Skyrim

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
In Astalon: Tears of the Earth one of the upgrades for the wizard is a cape that lets him glide. Once you get it, his walk cycle changes to him hovering just above the ground. It's mostly just a fun visual touch, but while moving like this he also doesn't trigger crumbling blocks since he isn't touching them.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire was a "Bad book to good video game (for its time)" adaption, does that count or are we only checking for good booms?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Rainbow Six seems like one of the longer running adaptations, although I'm guessing that's probably more of a thematic one than specific books.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Rainbow Six seems like one of the longer running adaptations, although I'm guessing that's probably more of a thematic one than specific books.

Oh yeah, Rainbow Six is one of the best ever. Taking an average airport read and not just doing a great, faithful adaptation but making a game so good and popular it spawned an entire genre.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Hel posted:

There are parts of the game that seem written for the guy as well since he used to be a soldier rather than a lawyer that for some reason is trained with power armour and stuff.

The male player character is the "canon" one- he's the one who narrates the intro, and there's lines in the game about being a soldier etc. Adding the option to play as his wife instead feels like sticking to tradition more than anything, since every previous game let you play as a woman

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

The ultimate tonal whiplash in Fallout 4 arrives ten minutes into the game. You meet the dog in front of an absolutely massive sign advertising the Red Rocket gas station. After that I was like "alright I see what they're going for this time around."

According to Fallout 4, an important stage in the grieving process is "finding a cool gun".

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Lobok posted:

Oh yeah, Rainbow Six is one of the best ever. Taking an average airport read and not just doing a great, faithful adaptation but making a game so good and popular it spawned an entire genre.

It probably helps when it's the author's own company making the adaption at the same time as the book is written,( Both released August 1998) .

2house2fly posted:

The male player character is the "canon" one- he's the one who narrates the intro, and there's lines in the game about being a soldier etc. Adding the option to play as his wife instead feels like sticking to tradition more than anything, since every previous game let you play as a woman

They could have just made it so that you were always the soldier and your spouse the lawyer.

Alhazred posted:

According to Fallout 4, an important stage in the grieving process is "finding a cool gun".

The stages of grief in Fallout 4 are : 1.Get A gun 2. Find a new better spouse 3. Use gun to kill your son

Hel has a new favorite as of 18:05 on Jan 21, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hel posted:

It probably helps when it's the author's own company making the adaption at the same time as the book is written,( Both released August 1998) .

True, but that doesn't take away from the game design accomplishment. It could have easily just been an X-COM clone or something. Also, looking up stuff in Wikipedia I'm surprised how closely Counter-Strike was released after R6. In my mind there are years between the two, probably because I got into CS late.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I think you guys are forgetting EA's extremely accurate and thought-provoking adaptation of Dante's Inferno

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Crowetron posted:

I think you guys are forgetting EA's extremely accurate and thought-provoking adaptation of Dante's Inferno

Doesn't hold a candle to Arm Joe , the Les Miserables fighting game https://tig.fandom.com/wiki/Arm_Joe

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Alhazred posted:

Lost my kid, my spouse, AND the world is destroyed in mere minutes, then told more than two centuries have passed? My saying gently caress you to the plot and running around killing raiders while making GBS threads out concrete hellholes everywhere mostly staffed by robots is how I cope, damnit.

Don't judge me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hel posted:

Doesn't hold a candle to Arm Joe , the Les Miserables fighting game https://tig.fandom.com/wiki/Arm_Joe

I used to play that game on my college laptop. Enjolras was OP.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Rainbow Six as an adaptation is kind of a weird case, because while it follows the main plot points, the story was probably completely irrelevant to its success and is told almost entirely with mission briefing boxes.

e. re: good book->game adaptations: The Pillars of the Earth was pretty nice, although I've not read the original.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Jan 21, 2022

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Crowetron posted:

Thought-provoking, in that I am once again thinking about Satan's dick and balls being slashed repeatedly by a battle scythe.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dante's inferno is a much better game then it has any right to be

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world to think about his dick and balls

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Captain Hygiene posted:

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world to think about his dick and balls

amen

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Dante's Inferno The Game is a terrible idea executed incredibly well.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Taerkar posted:

Lost my kid, my spouse, AND the world is destroyed in mere minutes, then told more than two centuries have passed? My saying gently caress you to the plot and running around killing raiders while making GBS threads out concrete hellholes everywhere mostly staffed by robots is how I cope, damnit.

Don't judge me.

I actually liked how the Sole Survivor wakes up to a world that's completely alien to her. Unlike the other Fallout games where the main protagonists may not know the entire world, but they are at least aware about what has happened and know the basic stuff.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Fallout 1 stands by itself tonally. Fallout 2 runs with it but goes too far. And it felt like every Fallout game that followed it seemed to think that scaling up the silliness was part of the charm, and I never felt it was. Fallout 1 had the right amount of absurdity, and most of it was balking directly at the world itself. For instance, in Fallout 1, you go to these various Vaults that had been destroyed for various reasons. You can find a pamphlet or a radio log or something that praises the Vaults for their amazing technology that was exactly the cause of their downfall Vault 13 had its amazing never-ending water chip tech, Vault 15 I believe had this incredible structural thing that could never be penetrated, and another... I forget what. That's the level of cheeky absurdity I want. Fallout 2, as much as I love that game permanently hosed up the lore when they decided that instead of all the Vaults failing because of hubris and cost cutting and Very Relatable Things, they threw in this plot twist at the end that actually most of the Vaults were designed to fail for social experiments!

I love Fallout 2 as a game, and I think New Vegas is a great way to round out the original trilogy. But Fallout 2 made the lore silly, and 3 had nothing to do with anything (and further made the lore stupid and further contradicted established lore from both 2 and 3), and 4 also had nothing to do with anything, and that kind of makes me annoyed. And 76 is just... well, everyone agrees at least that 76 is just... awkward and maybe best left to die alone and forgotten.

My biggest complaint about Fallout and why every game after Fallout kind of sucks is that the loving villains are always the supermutants, and the supermutants should have all died out after Fallout 2. There isn't any reason the FEV couldn't have been produced elsewhere, but all that did was turn men into super soldiers; it was the Master's melding in Fallout 1 that created the supermutants. The supermutants are sterile and will die out -- that's such a specific goddamn plot point that you can use it to convince the Master to commit suicide! Fallout: Tactics establishes that many of the supermutants tried migrating East but couldn't cross over the mountains or the Endless Waste or whatever it was called in Fallout 1. Many people you talk to in Fallout 2 talk about how the supermutants are so loving hostile because they're dying out. When they were making Fallout 3, they were like, "Hey, what are the bad guys in Fallout 2? SuperMutants? Alright, they're over here, too. All over the world, probably. Why not. And how about Harold, sure, he can be over here, too. And that dog, you know, that dog from the first game that was only in the second game as a joke? Fallout fans will love us for including characters that have no loving reason being in this region!"

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel was a fine game. I think the only reason people hated it so much was because they wanted another CRPG. For a console hack n slash game it was great, I thought. I beat it with a friend in like two and a half hours? Tonally I thought it was great, but I also only played it the one time, many years ago, drunkenly.

...since I'm ranting about Fallout, I wanted to share something my ex and I and some folks on this forum worked on a few years ago. We adapted Fallout into a kind of 11 episode radio drama, using music and sound effects from the game, and having different people voice the characters and leaving the dialogue unchanged. I hope it's alright I'm including this -- I don't have any ads or a Patreon or anything. I'm not trying to make money.

credburn has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Jan 21, 2022

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

credburn posted:

Fallout 1 stands by itself tonally. Fallout 2 runs with it but goes too far. And it felt like every Fallout game that followed it seemed to think that scaling up the silliness was part of the charm, and I never felt it was. Fallout 1 had the right amount of absurdity, and most of it was balking directly at the world itself. For instance, in Fallout 1, you go to these various Vaults that had been destroyed for various reasons. You can find a pamphlet or a radio log or something that praises the Vaults for their amazing technology that was exactly the cause of their downfall Vault 13 had its amazing never-ending water chip tech, Vault 15 I believe had this incredible structural thing that could never be penetrated, and another... I forget what. That's the level of cheeky absurdity I want. Fallout 2, as much as I love that game permanently hosed up the lore when they decided that instead of all the Vaults failing because of hubris and cost cutting and Very Relatable Things, they threw in this plot twist at the end that actually most of the Vaults were designed to fail for social experiments!

I love Fallout 2 as a game, and I think New Vegas is a great way to round out the original trilogy. But Fallout 2 made the lore silly, and 3 had nothing to do with anything (and further made the lore stupid and further contradicted established lore from both 2 and 3), and 4 also had nothing to do with anything, and that kind of makes me annoyed. And 76 is just... well, everyone agrees at least that 76 is just... awkward and maybe best left to die alone and forgotten.

What about the Tactics and Brotherhood of Steel , how do they fit in ?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
fallout 3's setting was basically a fallout theme park, to its detriment

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Samovar posted:

I read that as Discworld Noir: Spec Ops The Line and was very confused for a moment

Gentlemen... Welcome to Ankh-Morpork...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Witcher 3 again... sometimes while riding around the world on your horse, Geralt will make horse noises.

edit: found a clip of it, haha https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd47pLXEwxY

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just realized that Aloy's pose from the upcoming Horizon Forbidden West cover art is kind of an homage to One Million Years BC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Oblivion had some good rear end quests.

Babe Magnet has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Jan 21, 2022