Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Chicken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Lorem ipsum is getting weird.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

RudeCat posted:

Chicken?

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

she's hovering bc i caught her mid-scratch on the forbidden not-grass

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

So after being out of it for a little while, we have chickens again!
Our "chicken lady" who gave us some of our previous chickens for free is moving to a metro area where she won't be able to have chickens anymore. Cue us volunteering to take on few. She even threw in a nice little coop. Aaaand a hen hatched a clutch of chicks recently, so we got Mama (Sebright) and all five chicks (Sebright + ?) here Wednesday. Given how cold it is here, we're keeping them in the garage temporarily. Names are pending, but so far we have Freckle, QT, Jason, and Mama.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Oh that is SO ADORABLE!!!

Explosionface posted:

Names are pending, but so far we have Freckle, QT, Jason, and Mama.

Great names.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
good new birds :3:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

so sweet :kimchi:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

We don't exactly know what daddy was, but he should either be silkie or cochin. The chicks do exhibit some level of featherpants that Mama doesn't.

Celestriad
Dec 2, 2013

Hello, chickam thread! Long time lurker here, never posted before but enjoy reading about everyone's chooks.

We have raised chickens, turkeys, and coturnix quail. Did not expect to love the birdies as much as we absolutely adore them. Chicken math is real. We went from 3 to 40+ in 7 years.

Coturnix quail absolutely are as much adorableness and heartbreak as everyone says. So much heartbreak, in fact, that we decided to try another species of quail, a native one. We are in southeast USA, so we decided to raise bobwhite quails.

What a huge difference! They are not as domesticated, so they actually have some self-preservation and instincts. I have not had a hen go broody yet, but I will not be surprised when one does. They are very strong fliers, so maintenance on a spooked covey can get interesting. Also, they are seed ans nut eaters more than insectivores like the coturnix. They go hog-wild over standard birdseed, and it took some getting used to because their "yummy!" noise is extremely similar to a coturnix "I am attempting to murder something" noise. Also, the "bob, bob-WHITE" rooster crow is 1000% more charming than the "industrial machine had a fatal error" coturnix rooster crow.

Those big seed eater beaks mean that they have absolutely no compunction fighting giant Godzilla humans. One rooster got sick and I had to give him oral antibiotics twice daily. By the end of the week's course, he was biting the crap out of me (pecking is for losers. bobwhites BITE.) every time I got near, and nearly a full year later he still holds a grudge and occasionally goes Floofy Battle Mode if I reach into his cage too far. Despite many many attempts, I have yet to get a photograph of a bobwhite with crest up--they have a crest like a cockatiel that they use much the same way.

I wanted to post now because we have a special little boy I want to introduce to the thread. He was an accidental hatch--we were incubating bobwhite eggs to feed to our extremely picky egg-eating snake, and we forgot to mark the eggs so we knew when we put them in. We realized we had too many that had been in too long for Miss Omelette to eat, and decided to just finish incubating them and hatch a small batch. This kiddo popped out a week before everyone else, and imprinted on humans. The rest of the batch is out in the barn being raised as a covey, but he was always very chill and seems to genuinely enjoy being around people.

He hates being grabbed and will scream horrible banshee murder, but he will happily step up, ride around on shoulders/heads, and hang out on the back of the couch. He basically has free rein to fly between his cage and the back of the couch, and he will just randomly come over and visit us. He's not exactly snuggly, but he likes to see what's going on and be involved. He's actually not full grown yet, despite his size. When he matures completely, his eye band will be solid black. Haven't really named him yet, mostly just call him Buddy.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i love him, that is awesome! he does look like he needs to grow into his feet :) thank you for sharing your wonderful birds. i loved the little bobwhite who visited me last summer. i am amazed at how loud their crow is, for such little guys

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Hello! :3:

Hello! :3:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Buddy is a delight!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Huh. I'm from the Deep South and never heard of anyone raising bobwhites. That's a new one for me!

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Celestriad posted:

Coturnix quail absolutely are as much adorableness and heartbreak as everyone says. So much heartbreak, in fact, that we decided to try another species of quail, a native one. We are in southeast USA, so we decided to raise bobwhite quails.
:neckbeard: this is so exciting, thank you for posting! ever since i read that quail, robert (recommended in this very thread) i've been really wanting to hear more in-depth about the day-to-day life of bobwhites. there are very few in australia and i haven't met anyone who raises them.

quote:

They go hog-wild over standard birdseed, and it took some getting used to because their "yummy!" noise is extremely similar to a coturnix "I am attempting to murder something" noise. Also, the "bob, bob-WHITE" rooster crow is 1000% more charming than the "industrial machine had a fatal error" coturnix rooster crow.
lol

quote:

(pecking is for losers. bobwhites BITE.)
i love them. coturnix rooster violence is already enough for me to handle, online articles about bobs made it clear they beat each other up all the time and that's the only reason i didn't seek some out. but aggression comes with extra personality!

quote:

beautiful creature

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Speaking of rooster aggression, Mr. Penedesenca just started to attempt to mate with the grown up hens this week (15 weeks old).

His wooing skills are nonexistent so he has been chasing the hens and yanking out their feathers in an attempt to climb on. Then hens are NOT HAVING IT and run away, often to where Big Cheese is hanging out. Big Cheese is totally fed up with his behavior and yesterday he chased Mr. Penedesenca down and gave him what for.

The lesson lasted for about 10 minutes, as you’d expect.

I don’t know if it’s due to this cockerel craziness or spring hormones but Big Cheese and Clarence have done some posturing with each other too. Looks like I’m in for some exciting times this spring!

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Joburg posted:

I don’t know if it’s due to this cockerel craziness or spring hormones but Big Cheese and Clarence have done some posturing with each other too. Looks like I’m in for some exciting times this spring!
the most magical time of the year :allears:

Celestriad
Dec 2, 2013

an egg posted:

i love them. coturnix rooster violence is already enough for me to handle, online articles about bobs made it clear they beat each other up all the time and that's the only reason i didn't seek some out. but aggression comes with extra personality!

I had read a lot about bobwhite aggression before we started to raise them, and I was prepared for Bad Things. However, as long as you follow a couple of rules, we have had very little aggression. They can only be kept in groups in the winter, when they gather up in coveys and dogpile to stay warm. They need to be separated by spring or the roosters start to fight over hens. Some of them seem to be naturally aggro. Any aggro hens or roosters here get one second chance, and then they are culled.

Coturnix, when they fight, go for the head. I've seen some brutal brutal wounds on my coturnix--one hen even had her throat ripped up to the point I could see her crop (she survived and lived about 1.5 years after that). When bobwhites attack, they go for the feet. Generally, the victim can then squat on their injured feet and avoid further damage. Some antibiotic ointment and keeping an eye on the scabs results in healed feet and no more harm done 90% of the time.

We had one rooster, Flamingo, who had a really aggro hen (we later ate her and her rage made her delicious). He was actually her second mate--her first mate shoved himself through a 1.5" gap and escaped to live in the wild after she injured his feet the second time. We saw him around from time to time until he moved on. (Another benefit of native birds--if one flies off it won't do damage to the ecosystem.) Flamingo's legs were badly damaged, which is how he earned his name, standing on one leg, so we moved him into the house to heal. He had started to heal and was getting really really lonely.

We hatched a batch of chicks, and after the losses we had one kiddo who behaved really oddly. Side note on bobwhites--in our experience they are EXTREMELY delicate as chicks. We regularly lose 20% of our hatches in the same conditions where we might lose 3% of coturnix chicks. Once they hit a month old, they seem to be pretty much indestructible. This little month-old chick turned out to be blind, and was starting to get bullied. On a whim, we put him in with lonely Flamingo.

Flamingo immediately went full Battle Dad to protect *his* chick. Such a thing is too adorable not to have photographic proof:

Blind kiddo made it to 6 months, which is pretty darn good for a blind bird. He loved to bask in the sunshine, and while Battle Dad Mode stopped once kiddo got big enough, Flamingo always doted on his son.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

what a great dad :kimchi:

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Celestriad posted:

We hatched a batch of chicks, and after the losses we had one kiddo who behaved really oddly. Side note on bobwhites--in our experience they are EXTREMELY delicate as chicks. We regularly lose 20% of our hatches in the same conditions where we might lose 3% of coturnix chicks. Once they hit a month old, they seem to be pretty much indestructible. This little month-old chick turned out to be blind, and was starting to get bullied. On a whim, we put him in with lonely Flamingo.

Flamingo immediately went full Battle Dad to protect *his* chick. Such a thing is too adorable not to have photographic proof:

Blind kiddo made it to 6 months, which is pretty darn good for a blind bird. He loved to bask in the sunshine, and while Battle Dad Mode stopped once kiddo got big enough, Flamingo always doted on his son.
:qq: that is beautiful! thank you for sharing. quail are blessed

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

"What have you done to the sunshine?"

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Sad news, I'm afraid Pebbles the silver-laced wyandotte passed away. She climbed up onto the duck's swimming trough, fell in and drowned.

This is the first time we've had something like this happen, and we've got a small platform in the water a little ways down now to hopefully stop it from happening again.

sorry little girl, you were very pretty and very sweet.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

BHB posted:

Sad news, I'm afraid Pebbles the silver-laced wyandotte passed away. She climbed up onto the duck's swimming trough, fell in and drowned.

This is the first time we've had something like this happen, and we've got a small platform in the water a little ways down now to hopefully stop it from happening again.

sorry little girl, you were very pretty and very sweet.

Oh I'm so sorry. Roost in Peace, Pebbles.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Geez, the perilous lessons we learn as their caretakers...I think back to a couple of deaths and injuries I could have avoided had I known the danger even existed in the first place. It's the most painful sort of hindsight, y'know?

I'm so sorry for the loss. It must have been a shock. :(

Rest well, Pebbles.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The game Lemmings is a good start if you think you want to keep chickens.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

I culled my beautiful 16 week old Jersey Giant cockerels yesterday. The four of them plus the four keepers decided they should crow all day long, probably in response to the artillery noise from Ft. Stewart. I don’t want to completely alienate my neighbors so it was time.

On my travels this past weekend I saw this

and it made me so sad. Those poor chickens had a bad short life, so I can at least take heart that my cockerels had a good life, and it was twice as long as these poor meat chickens.

In happier news, I have a pullet that is starting to show signs of broodiness. Look at this fluffball!

If she decides she really wants to sit, I will give her some eggs. Spring is right around the corner here so I think she could be successful.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Alterian posted:

The game Lemmings is a good start if you think you want to keep chickens quail.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Speaking of small game birds that love to die, lately ruffed grouse cannot seem to get out of the road. The road commission scatters sand over the snow, and they seem to think it's a great place to scratch and then orb themselves. It's very good camouflage! They really blend in! To the sand. In the middle of the road.

Every time we catch one doing this just in the nick of time, I contemplate whether I really and truly want some quail.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Those poor meat chickens :(

Joburg posted:

In happier news, I have a pullet that is starting to show signs of broodiness. Look at this fluffball!

That fluff though :swoon:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

I love the hen orb :swoon:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

ponder the horb

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/kostuch/status/1484223483718557704

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

the ravens have become so bold they try to snatch the quail right in front of me. i say try because the quail are too heavy for them to fly off with, so they just pick them up and drop them. today quoll got picked up and dropped three times in as many minutes, but she saw no cause for concern and in between attempted abductions she just kept pobbling around without a care in the world :allears:

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
God I love how stupid quail are.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I see one of the ravens has snuck in.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

all are welcome in this house :kimchi:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We got a first real snow experience yesterday. It didn't snow significantly last year. The only ones who wanted to venture out were the Norwegians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

brave and beautiful chickens!