Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

canyoneer posted:

Some places in the US have passed or are passing legislation to ban gas leaf blowers. Battery powered landscaping tools are going to be a fact of life for many crews unless they want to switch to rakes.

I'm all for electric lawn equipment but Milwaukee's offering sucks compared to EGO (and probably others) who has a zero turn mower out, tons of equipment options, and it all runs on the same battery platform and requires less batteries to manage as they're a 56v platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SpartanIvy posted:

How many 12ah M18 batteries will that take? That sounds like a nightmare of a charging station situation for a landscaping company. If it uses the MX FUEL batteries then it's even worse because now you've got two different types of chargers and batteries to worry about.

Just seems like a bad plan all around.

🤷🏻‍♂️ electrification is coming by hook or by crook, gotta start somewhere

EGo already has a two (three?) successful zero turn consumer mowers and will be showing off a pro model of their own soon

I imagine that the ideal professional zero turn is built more like an electric car, with a massive on-board battery pack (or maybe something replaceable but still large and tractor/mower-specific), than the way they’re currently being made to run off existing power tool batteries.

Edit:

Or even like EGo’s 56v solution.

Tbqh I think this was kind of rushed to market as-is in order to compete with the rollout of EGo’s pro line.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 22, 2022

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

DoubleT2172 posted:

I can't wait for an 18v zero turn mower that requires 10+ batteries to run!

The future is now, old man

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-42-in-75-Ah-Battery-Electric-Riding-Zero-Turn-Mower-RY48ZTR75/308040422

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Ok Comboomer posted:

Tbqh I think this was kind of rushed to market as-is in order to compete with the rollout of EGo’s pro line.

This makes the most sense. Milwaukee is simultaneously too early releasing this because they need to release a complete package together to really attract the market they seem to be going for, but also too late because it doesn't do anything better or cheaper than alternatives that have been out for years already.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Every landscaping crew I've seen around me has two gas push/self propelled Honda mowers in their truck unless they're towing around a big zero turn. Honestly, most have the Hondas. It's like contractors and rigids vacs.

I bought a Honda mower and a rigid vac for that reason. My new yard is small enough the Honda might be overkill so I may switch to battery in which case I'd be more than happy to stick with Ryobi but go 40v.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommonShore posted:

I see landscaping crews using push mowers all the time in all kinds of contexts. Every landscaping truck or trailer in my area has both zero turn mower(s) and push mowers on it. Usually one person is ruding the big zero turn, then someone else is taking the push mower between trees and along gardens and in windy spots, and then a third person will be using a string trimmer in the places where that's necessary.

Are you sure those are push mowers? Because landscapers use walk behinds of various sizes. Not push mowers. There is a very big difference.

Walk behinds are used on grades you may not be able to use a zero turn on, and also for "fine" turf you're trying to not leave too many turn and tire marks on like overly nitrogen treated (typically sodded) front lawns with so little root structure they will tear out under any sorty of zero turn/riding mower and only live on a steady supply of chemicals and too much water.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 22, 2022

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Elem7 posted:

I've landed in the opposite direction, I assume no one else is doing the Flexvolt thing because its protected by patents

Metabo HPT MultiVolt does this. Their packs are 18V/36V though.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Back to table saw time:

- It looks like sawStops blade guards/splitters would fit the internals. The dust collection one looks nice but not $150 nice.
- It’s currently taking a bath in WD40.
- Range of motion seems good but getting from 35 to 45 degrees is rough.
- The rack and pinion fence works but the far end tends to get out of square but I think that is mostly due to gunk and things not sliding.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Listen bub I said 18 volt and 10+ batteries NOT a battery pack!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

B-Nasty posted:

The one nice thing about everything using standard 18V batteries (doubled), is that the tool doesn't require a special battery, necessarily. You could throw some 5AH basic M18 batteries in the mower, and it would work. Probably not as powerfully as using the HO types, but it would run. I'd imagine you could probably use 2 different types/capacity batteries also, if you needed to in a pinch.

I agree that the double battery form factor isn't going to work for most hand tools. Somehow, with the HO batteries, Milwaukee has managed to make most of their high-demand tools work well at 18v and one pack. It's nice to know that (assuming they go with the 2x battery approach), that any big HO 18v batteries you buy now will be usable for all their future high-demand tools instead of requiring new purchases of 40v or Flexvolt-like packs.

Milwaukee HO is the same as DeWalt flexvolt iirc, the battery cells can run parallel or in series depending on the application. They just don't go overboard w the marketing like dewalt

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/KLNPhqZEkv0

lookit all the new dremels

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Milwaukee HO is the same as DeWalt flexvolt iirc, the battery cells can run parallel or in series depending on the application. They just don't go overboard w the marketing like dewalt

No. The HO line of batteries just uses the 21700 lithium cells instead of the standard 18650s, which support a higher amp draw.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://mobile.twitter.com/shawsam/status/1484656755619491841

there’s enough overlap between grill news and tool news right?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Hey, remember when somebody was asking about a tool for cutting cardboard? Well Ryobi has a real answer now.

Also jeez, did some rotary tool patent expire or something? That is A LOT of rotary tools all at once.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
As much as I want to ditch anything small engine powered its going to cost a fortune. A gas zero turn costs about $10k for a decent one and mine burns at least 3 gallons every time I mow, its only 27hp and thats not enough power if I try to stretch out my mowing to a week and a half. I was hoping to replace my trimmer with a 40v and with the 4 charges it takes to get the trimming done it takes almost all day, I might be switching back to gas for that as much as I dont want to.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Don't know how fast your system charges, but like I said with my ego fast charger if you have a 2nd battery it charges before you can discharge the other. That goes for the regular mower trimmer and blower, so their huge mowers may be different, but as long as you have 2 batteries with the normal gear you can basically run them forever.

Cost wise yeah it sucks, but if you make the switch the next time you have to replace anyway it's not that much more than a new gas mower/edger/etc. Paid close to full price on the mower, but I'd of been out a couple hundred for a gas mower anyway. Was lucky enough to snag the trimmer/blower when Home Depot was clearancing them out, but keep an eye on Acme tools, they run refurb/open box sales from time to time on ego stuff.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 22, 2022

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Progress

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I remember reading itt that the band saw was the saw that lead to the most injuries and couldn’t believe it … how tf did this guy cut his whole arm off ????

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/divine-intervention-man-carrying-severed-arm-saved-82413978

quote:

Witnesses said the man's arm was cut off Friday near the shoulder, apparently in a workplace accident, the Sun Journal reported.

The members of the public works crew applied a tourniquet while waiting for an ambulance to arrive, according to Lewiston Police Lt. Derek St. Laurent.

“That probably saved his life,” St. Laurent said.

Investigators followed a trail of blood back to a business where several people said the man had been operating a band saw. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration was alerted.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Calidus posted:

Progress

I'm jel, okay!?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

I remember reading itt that the band saw was the saw that lead to the most injuries and couldn’t believe it … how tf did this guy cut his whole arm off ????

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/divine-intervention-man-carrying-severed-arm-saved-82413978

That's like kinda impressive. I feel like he would have had to have been under the influence of something.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Calidus posted:

Progress

You're going to have such a kick rear end saw once it's all fixed up

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

maybe he fell into the saw?

The most Maine quote ever:

quote:

“It had to be divine intervention because two of my best guys just happened to be there sanding sidewalks," said Mary Ann Brenchick, director of Lewiston Public Works. "It couldn’t have been better guys for this kind of situation.”

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

maybe he fell into the saw?

that was my first thought, but a bandsaw isnt quite as fast of a cutter as say a table saw. i feel like it would take a second or so to cut an arm off right? reflexes would override UNLESS

NomNomNom posted:

I feel like he would have had to have been under the influence of something.

im gonna be following this story closely to get to the bottom of it

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

He probably was wearing long loose sleeves and it caught his cuff and pulled him in. I have a hard time picturing any way a guy could cut his arm off at the shoulder other than taking a flying leap at a big loving saw.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
He was in a workplace? And people there (coworkers?) saw him using the bandsaw, but didn't see him cut his arm off or any blood? And were just like "meh" until investigators came around? So many questions.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

FISHMANPET posted:

He was in a workplace? And people there (coworkers?) saw him using the bandsaw, but didn't see him cut his arm off or any blood? And were just like "meh" until investigators came around? So many questions.

Hmmm I'm starting to think this place might have some serious safety issues

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

FISHMANPET posted:

How to find out for sure that nobody at work likes you.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Slugworth posted:

How to find out for sure that nobody at work likes you.

Dave's got his arm in the bandsaw again. :rolleyes:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Literally A Person posted:

Dave's got his arm in the bandsaw again. :rolleyes:

Ahh Dave's not so bad. In fact he's all right now!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

benthic
Sep 10, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

He was in a workplace?

My dad used to work in a beef plant with lots of heavy equipment, and said the bandsaw was the scariest machine in the plant. Are meat saws more dangerous? I guess they’re specifically designed to cut flesh, but will they suck you in with huge teeth or something?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

benthic posted:

My dad used to work in a beef plant with lots of heavy equipment, and said the bandsaw was the scariest machine in the plant. Are meat saws more dangerous? I guess they’re specifically designed to cut flesh, but will they suck you in with huge teeth or something?

In that situation they are likely to be marginally more scary because basically the bigger the blade opening the more parts of you that might get/fit in there. And I'd imagine that has to be pretty big opening/saw for beef cutting.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Not sure about at the meat plant, but I used to work at a butcher shop and the band saws were a ton of little teeth with maybe an 18 to 24 inch opening. They also had a rad moving tray next to the blade so you could cut meat like you were using a slicer.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Also the air and the meat are really cold, your hands are numb...

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

NomNomNom posted:

Also the air and the meat are really cold, your hands are numb...
Yeah. Honestly kind of amazed nobody lost the tip of their thumb in the 2 years I worked there.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Oh course less than 48 hours after I buy a saw some listing a 3 hp craftsman with bessy T Square fence for $300.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Calidus posted:

Oh course less than 48 hours after I buy a saw some listing a 3 hp craftsman with bessy T Square fence for $300.

Buy it.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Is the harbor freight propane weed torch one of the things that people like from there? I want to try yakisugi and I dont think a little benzomatic torch is the jam

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Is the harbor freight propane weed torch one of the things that people like from there? I want to try yakisugi and I dont think a little benzomatic torch is the jam

Yes, the new one.

I have the recalled one. The gas hose blew out while in use. Otherwise, works great and its fun as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

mds2 posted:

The gas hose blew out while in use.

:stare: