Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This is a massive ongoing issue in hospitals across the US right now as they're handing fistfuls of cash to traveling nurses to fill positions but not paying any extra to the current staff and in some cases canceling bonuses and punishing people who take time off, so of course the staff are all going "You're treating me like poo poo and paying them double, why the gently caress am I still here????"

E: the HR dept in some hospitals has resorted to "non monetary" forms of encouragement like this poo poo which has NOT gone over well

Providing your disaffected work force with ammunition during a plague and a period of unprecedented corruption by the 1% seems like a poor choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

It sounds like Thedacare is trying to apply economic pressure to the group of seven with this injunction to get them to come crawling back. They can’t force the group to work for them, seems like the injunction is to prevent them working at the new employer. Since most people can’t afford to be out of work for months, maybe the idea is that regardless of the strength of their case they hope being without pay for a while forces these people back into the fold.

I would think that in addition to the group of seven, the new employer is being damaged in the situation by being denied the employees they were fairly and legally trying to hire.

In any case it’s super lovely and a very important legal precedent.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It sounds like the employees gave notice, and even gave Thedacare a chance to take steps to retain them, which were turned down.

The only grounds I could imagine for an injunction like this is if there was evidence of collusion on the part of the employees and/or prospective employer to knowingly cause harm to Thedacare by secretly poaching employees and providing no notice. That I could see perhaps meriting sanctions, but this reads like juvenile retaliation.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ooh another update, the judge says some of the staff has to stay OR all of them are blocked from the new job until the original hospital replaces them

quote:

OUTAGAMIE COUNTY, Wis. (WBAY) - UPDATE 1/22

A judge has granted ThedaCare a temporary restraining order in a dispute with Ascension Wisconsin.

Thursday morning, ThedaCare filed for a temporary injunction against Ascension Wisconsin, saying it could cause the community harm by recruiting a majority of ThedaCare’s comprehensive stroke care team.

On Friday, an Outagamie County judge ruled in favor of ThedaCare and issued this order:

“Make available to ThedaCare one invasive radiology technician and one registered nurse of the individuals resigning their employment with ThedaCare to join Ascension, with their support to include on-call responsibilities or;

“Cease the hiring of the individuals referenced until ThedaCare has hired adequate staff to replace the departing IRC team members.”

ThedaCare operates the only Level II trauma and comprehensive stroke care unit in the Fox Valley. It says losing these workers could impact its ability to have people on call 24/7, which is necessary for accreditation.

Action 2 News spoke to one of the workers leaving. They told us there was no recruiting. Rather, one member of the team applied for a job with Ascension Wisconsin and received a much better offer than expected, which led others on the team to apply.
https://www.wbay.com/2022/01/20/thedacare-seeks-court-order-against-ascension-wisconsin-worker-dispute/

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It sounds like the employees gave notice, and even gave Thedacare a chance to take steps to retain them, which were turned down.

The only grounds I could imagine for an injunction like this is if there was evidence of collusion on the part of the employees and/or prospective employer to knowingly cause harm to Thedacare by secretly poaching employees and providing no notice. That I could see perhaps meriting sanctions, but this reads like juvenile retaliation.

that's absolutely what it is, and this chudge just accidentally set the stage for a legal precedent on exactly who's will at-will refers to because they're an idiot

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
It'd be pretty cool if At-Will employment bullshit was ultimately struck down because of this but we all know what will actually happen is that somehow all of us will lose even more employment rights while these healthcare employees have an extended legal battle that leaves them destitute and unemployable.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

This is a massive ongoing issue in hospitals across the US right now as they're handing fistfuls of cash to traveling nurses to fill positions but not paying any extra to the current staff and in some cases canceling bonuses and punishing people who take time off, so of course the staff are all going "You're treating me like poo poo and paying them double, why the gently caress am I still here????"

E: the HR dept in some hospitals has resorted to "non monetary" forms of encouragement like this poo poo which has NOT gone over well

Seems like a really bad idea if the facility has any windows whatsoever.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Zwabu posted:

It sounds like Thedacare is trying to apply economic pressure to the group of seven with this injunction to get them to come crawling back.

This sure wouldn't make for an awkward workplace.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ooh another update, the judge says some of the staff has to stay OR all of them are blocked from the new job until the original hospital replaces them

https://www.wbay.com/2022/01/20/thedacare-seeks-court-order-against-ascension-wisconsin-worker-dispute/

gently caress that judge. Wisconsin has a serious chud judge problem these days and it's loving infuriating me.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This sure wouldn't make for an awkward workplace.

They employ many many more people than the target of the injunction.
They will absolutely have a good chunk of their staff begin actively looking for new work over this because they have very publically stated "we will not pay market rates even if you have an offer, and we will attempt to punish you for trying to leave"

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
I've been looking but is there any data on boosters when you have had 1st and 2nd shot Pfizer? In NZ and up for a booster soon and we have Pfizer or AZ as an option

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

"the stone has been blessed" lmao

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
can't wait to throw my blessed stone through the nearest window

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DickParasite posted:

can't wait to throw my blessed stone through the nearest window

you're making the buildings more holey lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Beccara posted:

I've been looking but is there any data on boosters when you have had 1st and 2nd shot Pfizer? In NZ and up for a booster soon and we have Pfizer or AZ as an option

It’s rare that anyone gets AstraZeneca’s shot as a booster.

The UK puts out regular reports on how well the vaccines are holding up, and they have data for Pfizer and Moderna boosters for people who got either of those brands initially, as well as for people who got AstraZeneca, but there’s nothing for AZ as a booster.

Starts on page twenty‐four. BNT162b2 is Pfizer, mRNA-1273 is Moderna, and ChAdOx1 is AstraZeneca.

I suggest more Pfizer. I’m not saying it’s necessarily better, but we at least know how well it works.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Wait for it. The workers will simply quit (again?) and the judge will begin fining them for every day they don't go back to the job they no longer want to work for.

This judge is bonkers.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol if this ends up becoming one of the defining moments of the Roberts court, just an absolutely bone-chilling thought

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Scarodactyl posted:

I like rocks and those aren't even good rocks.

Looks like leaverite to me.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The loving audacity

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

MrQwerty posted:

lol if this ends up becoming one of the defining moments of the Roberts court, just an absolutely bone-chilling thought

The one and only defining moment of the Roberts court was when he and his fellow Republicans knocked down the legal concept of precedent. No case has any lasting meaning as a result, and none of the judges feel any need to substantiate their opinions for the future (because future judges will ignore them in the same way).

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

They should go back to work and spend the entire time playing cards, smoking cigarettes, and poo poo talking management. Oh I have to come in and do my job? bet

What are they gonna do? Fire you so you can take that job at the other hospital, like you wanted to the entire time?

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

Spaghett posted:

They should go back to work and spend the entire time playing cards, smoking cigarettes, and poo poo talking management. Oh I have to come in and do my job? bet

What are they gonna do? Fire you so you can take that job at the other hospital, like you wanted to the entire time?

Unfortunately, unlike the suing hospital bosses, they probably actually care about the patients tho

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I would be so mad if they gave me a rock after 2 years of working as a nurse during a pandemic

I'd prefer a simple gently caress YOU from management signed with poo, at least it would be more honest

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Yeah, I feel like I would be getting a heavy duty sling shot and finding out where the BSM/Head honcho office is from the outside

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
One of the frontline healthworkers in CSPAM reported that their hospital was offering $20,000 bonuses for replacement staff to fill positions but no incentive bonuses for current staff to remain.

They did get a Covid Clown in the staff lunchroom though!!

:buddy:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The rocks thing has to be because someone higher up pocketed the money that was supposed to go towards something, anything, less offensive and then in a panic printed out some bullshit and bought some in some rocks from home.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Jestery posted:

Yeah, I feel like I would be getting a heavy duty sling shot and finding out where the BSM/Head honcho office is from the outside

Good news! Hospitals are a prime source for medical tubing, which tends to be a common slingshot bulding material!

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The rocks thing has to be because someone higher up pocketed the money that was supposed to go towards something, anything, less offensive and then in a panic printed out some bullshit and bought some in some rocks from home.

very creative, have a raise

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

QuarkJets posted:

These kinds of employment contracts do exist, e.g. you can't accept an equivalent position for N years, but it sounds like these employees don't have such contracts. And for the record, the mere existence of these situations is also hosed up and is what actually created this mess. ThedaCare's executives know all of this and are just being vindictive, knowing that a court may permit the injunction while taking time to review the facts. And sure enough, that's what happened

In some jurisdictions those can be considered a restraint of trade and not worth the paper they're printed on except in very limited circumstances (i.e. you're quitting your job to start a business that will be competing with your former employer). Dunno if that's the case in the US though.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

It's definitely the case in Australia, I've signed one every job I've had and just ignore them because they are worthless clauses.
Working for a consultancy we had at least 4 people take permanent jobs directly for the client they were currently working full time for while I was there. I never once heard of any court action being taken against them or the client (although we stopped sending good people there)

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
During some critical staff shortages we had at my work (not medical, and who are we kidding, we're still painfully short), our boss had us do random poo poo every week, like gathering all of us in the main office and collectively dance to awful music or other "silly" poo poo.

I have no doubt it came from a place of caring, but it was such humilating and embarassing garbage that it had the total opposite effect. It eventually turned into a "name that tune" contest that actually was a little fun. It ran for about a year before we got too busy again and it fell off.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 23, 2022

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

"The work is destroying us! We're all exhausted and can't cope. The pay is barely enough to survive on."
"Can I offer you a rock in this trying time?"

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

During some critical staff shortages we had at my work (not medical, and who are we kidding, we're still painfully short), our boss had us do random poo poo every week, like gathering all of us in the main office and collectively dance to awful music or other "silly" poo poo.

Nothing would make me leave a job faster than that. My anxiety-riddled rear end hates team building "fun" nonsense with a passion.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A reporter in San Mateo county found several large dumps each with hundreds and hundreds of pallets of PPE worth millions dollars that had been left out in the open weather for months and been ruined. Looks like it'll all have to be shredded and sent to landfill because it's no longer fit for purpose. Most of it was imported by a company who couldn't find anyone to buy the stock so they shredded it to recoup some of the tariffs they paid on it, one of the ruined caches was left in a parking lot by a hospital because they didn't have space to store in under cover. Looks like the PPE at the hospital might have been supplied by the county

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQe-uChUXHs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lel5cqrD_k

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

My job has absolutely no comparison to the shittiness being endured by the medical profession right now, but this reminds me of the mantra of “resilience” being chanted by my company’s management as we in supply chain enjoy horrible lead times, drastic price increases, general resentment by manufacturing (due to lacking components to assemble and ship product), and plummeting internal metrics, in exchange for the standard annual 2-3% wage increase.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Booster trip report:

I am triple Pfizer as of Friday.

Everyone has been telling me the booster kicked their rear end, so I was prepared to have a poo poo weekend. Second dose gave me a screaming headache, a brief moment of dizziness, a sore arm, and what felt like a golf ball in my armpit. Got the booster Friday afternoon and was waiting for the same to happen, and the headache creeped in a few hours later and I could feel some stiffness in my neck, but my arm didn't even get sore until like 9PM. Went to bed thinking "This isn't so bad so far."

Woke up with NO headache, but I did have a back ache (which is something I get every single time my immune system does a thing) so I put my heating pad on it, still had the stiff neck, and I had a really sore arm and my armpit was already visibly swollen, but otherwise was still thinking "Not bad at all"

Then I guess my immune system got to work because holy poo poo. I don't know if it was related but I had literally no appetite. I forced myself to eat a couple pieces of cheese but just couldn't even imagine eating something more substantial. I don't think I ever got a fever or chills, but the lack of eating did slow me down a bit and made me feel a bit cold. I didn't even have enough focus to play games, so I retired to the couch with a big fluffy warm blanket and zoned out watching nostalgic movies from the 90s all day. (Tremors still holds up today, somehow, btw. Also Hook is great even though I slept through the ending)

Around noon the vax shoulder started giving me sharp stabbing pains. That progressed to knee aches, and then hip aches. I know people always talk about joint pain when getting the flu or whatever, but I've never actually experienced it myself before. I finally broke down and took a tylenol.

Tylenol is a magical wonderful medication that cleared EVERYTHING up. My arm was still sore, and there was still a golf ball in my armpit, but everything else resolved within an hour. I even got my appetite back and had to drag my rear end off the couch to make dinner.

Then I took an edible and had the most amazing couch nap right before bed :v:

I still have the golf ball armpit this morning but no other aches.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

And in other news, vaccines are magical things that prevent all infection so BC has given up trying to isolate COVID I guess: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/covid-hospital-sharing-rooms-1.6324385

Or they're ensuring that every room is a COVID room by just giving you COVID when you arrive...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Seriously how is there a single intact window at the places that handed these out?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I just got whiplash from listening to Bill Maher’s latest oeuvre

I guess he’s super done with the pandemic? It’s not anti-vax, I don’t know what’s the term for “vaxxed and ready to gently caress and suck and hate masks”

He starts off mentioning “that face diaper” and goes from there

Guest Bari Weiss from the NYT is indistinguishable from a Trump supporter in 2020, in calling for everything to open and the UK dropping every protective measure is doing it right and so on. “A lot of democrats think like me but are afraid to be called Trumpers”

Bill Maher is all “I can still get Covid if I’m vaccinated! Fail! Restaurants! Florida’s done it right! Same deaths as NY, no masks, California sux! FREEDOM FROM MASKS!”

The guest representative Ritchie something from NY is the only one going “uhhh guys, 850k people died, a lot of them in NY”

Bari Weiss response : “ONLY 803 CHILDREN DIED” :stare:

It’s more surreal when audience claps after every mildly argumentative phrase

https://overcast.fm/+s-Y-BTWJA

Imagine one child, dying, how painful that is for their family, receiving the news, the funeral, wondering why they had to suffer and pass just because Bill Maher had to go to Waffle House, then multiply by 800

I’m only halfway thru :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

listening to Bill Maher’s latest oeuvre
But why though.