Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Mike the TV posted:

The staffing might be part of it, but the real issue is the supply chain making it impossible to consistently get items of a certain quality. At this point the vendors are subbing for anything that even resembles the items orders. You want mayo? We have yogurt!

this isn’t commercial food but recently a well meaning grocery store shopper subbed several pounds of cucumbers for zucchini on one of my curbside pickup orders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

McCracAttack posted:

They've probably seen other people "walking into fire" for weeks/months without issue. If you don't pay attention it's not hard to convince yourself things are more or less normal aside from an increased chance of catching a "nasty cold".

Also everyone I know with kids in school caught it this month so there's a lot of, "gently caress it, there's nothing we can do." going around.

yeah around here aside from a few folks wearing masks it looks like its 2019. That's how the chuds can easily convince others that its really a hoax, because aside from your coworkers mysteriously disappearing or out for a long time with illness you wouldn't even know there is a pandemic

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

GXL posted:

I couldn't edit in a picture so I had to make a second post. People are nicer to you when you are covered in bright colors and cartoon bears. Give it a shot if you're self-conscious about walking around in public wearing the elastomeric.

this is so cool

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/rtyson82/status/1485475347994918912?s=20

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

What I don’t get about the whole Done With Covid thing is… it obviously doesn’t mean covid’s done with you.

When someone is so Battle Fatigued they start standing up under fire, it’s not considered a good thing, but suicidality caused by accumulated psychological distress - but the messaging here is that being Done With Covid is a sign of psychological calm and wellbeing.

Once again, I feel like I’m taking crazy pills here.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Feldegast42 posted:

yeah around here aside from a few folks wearing masks it looks like its 2019. That's how the chuds can easily convince others that its really a hoax, because aside from your coworkers mysteriously disappearing or out for a long time with illness you wouldn't even know there is a pandemic

One of the sports radio guys here who was naysaying the pandemic did a show again yesterday and revealed that he nearly died from covid over Christmas

Then he went right back to saying that we need to openerup lol

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

hekaton posted:

so we can save the environment by making everything so poisoned that humans can no longer interact with it, sounds like a plan

i think that's the plan texas is using

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Wow. I've never seen a gar, I'd love to though. Seeing pictures of them as a little kid seemed so crazy

i sold the inflatable after that. they're huge dinosaurs and i worry about the day i hook one that outweighs me. like i know that i just need to cut the line but thinking about what happens between hooking it and cutting the line kinda scares me, like what if it I'm off guard and off the rocks i go. Idk probably won't ever happen

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

Pillowpants posted:

LOL. the CEO and two VP's of my company just quit for unknown reasons

was it lenin or kropotkin that talked about the wealthy fleeing the ship?

also lol if they were committing corporate fraud

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

"Yeah, things pretty much normal around here. Work is kinda crazy because half the people are out. Also the grocery store is out of half the things we need. And the local car dealership's lot is empty. And my kid's daycare had to close again so one of us has to stay home and watch them. And my Dad had a scare where he had to go to the ER and get stitches. Took 14 hours for someone to see him. Also it took me an extra 20 minutes to drive home after work today because the line for COVID testing at the civic center was blocking traffic again.

But aside form that it's back to normal."

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pillowpants posted:

LOL. the CEO and two VP's of my company just quit for unknown reasons

Time to update your resume.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

gradenko_2000 posted:

that's how you monetize! if your SecureClick doesn't look like something out of the Talladega Speedway, you're leaving money on the table

Suddenly struck by the realization that we’re not seeing mask innovation because the only innovation allowed anymore is monetization so all we’re probably missing out on is a mask subscription service where the affordable tier masks play an ad every 15 minutes and because of the state of the semiconductor market they can’t hit cost targets so they’re working an app that allows you to scan a QR code to confirm your active subscription that will allow the mask lockbox to dispense one mask and only one mask per scanned approval.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

:lol:

March for sure

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I think right as other states start to dip New York is gonna spike again

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The boy who cried peak.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Nothus posted:

Time to update your resume.

Pack up your belongings

Backup company data you can leak/sell

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I think right as other states start to dip New York is gonna spike again

B.A.2 can't be detected with the normal tests, so number can stay low and we'll just get mystery deaths

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zodium posted:

big milestone reached in Denmark today as pediatric hospitalizations finally outpace the 80+ year olds. very good. that's very good. i'm not mad about that at all.

Big milestone but somehow the media is completely silent about it?

:thunk:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Platystemon posted:

https://twitter.com/brosseau_lisa/status/1485323899558629376

N95 dunks on everything even on a logarithmic scale. That’s a real KN95, and it’s not even in the same league.
based

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Meanwhile, in China.

https://twitter.com/manyapan/status/1485558904310353932?s=20

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

ikanreed posted:

B.A.2 can't be detected with the normal tests, so number can stay low and we'll just get mystery deaths

The normal tests detect BA.2 just fine. The issue is that it's harder to distinguish BA.2 from delta without full sequencing, whereas BA.1 versus delta is easy to distinguish. Username/post mismatch :hmmyes:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Thoguh posted:

Meanwhile, in China.

but the freedums

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Didn't the WHO also say that Europe totally might have beaten covid for real this time? Like, yesterday they said that? I for sure saw headlines saying that they said that, so what exactly is it that we're doing here?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

What I don’t get about the whole Done With Covid thing is… it obviously doesn’t mean covid’s done with you.

When someone is so Battle Fatigued they start standing up under fire, it’s not considered a good thing, but suicidality caused by accumulated psychological distress - but the messaging here is that being Done With Covid is a sign of psychological calm and wellbeing.

I think our society is just really used to working under the assumption that everything's great and therefore anyone saying that everything isn't great must be crazy, even when obviously everything is not actually great

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Weird Horny Organization

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Watching videos of a functioning country literally hurts my soul.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Kylaer posted:

The normal tests detect BA.2 just fine. The issue is that it's harder to distinguish BA.2 from delta without full sequencing, whereas BA.1 versus delta is easy to distinguish. Username/post mismatch :hmmyes:

Oh that's not so bad.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The Weird Horny Organization

Whoa don't just broadcast us bro

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Co thread is going all in on family time at costco. lmao why did I gbs

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

drat that patient died already.

That was loving fast.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Platystemon posted:

Lead levels had a looooooong decline.
Yes. Leaded gasoline may have started being phased out in 1973, but it was apparently not completely ceased until 1996.

My parents bought a small grocery/convenience store in 1982 that did not have any self-serve capacity. Me at 9 and my sister at 8 had to ask customers "Regular or unleaded?" before pumping the gas for them. This happened for several years until our parents finally got self-serve installed, somewhere around 1985. I vague recall regular gasoline being eliminated at their store in maybe 1990.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Australia's deputy PM

well, people aren't dying (host corrects me) sorry, im sorry, i'm trying to remove it

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Family time at Costco is the saddest loving thing in the world pandemic or not

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

one weird trick to lower your risk pool

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Feldegast42 posted:

Libs around here are indistinguishable from chuds then

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

FizFashizzle posted:

drat that patient died already.

That was loving fast.

oh the one that was about to be discharged and then got covid, weird, I wonder what happend?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I like how we tried to have celebrations like this except we did them while cases were flying out of control and we were celebrating things like bars no longer having to close at 10pm.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

ikanreed posted:

Oh that's not so bad.

You might even call it mild.

Don't worry, there's still plenty of actual doom to feast on.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Iron Crowned posted:

Just overheard the other two people in my area talking about how the media wasn't covering that anti-mandate March in DC yesterday. They live in Ohio and Kentucky, no one gives a gently caress about the fact that they're not vaxxed and don't wear a mask.

Thinkin bout all the anti vax/anti maskers just stewin that no one is outraged by their defiance because everyone around them is doing the same.

Frosted Flake posted:

Are they battle fatigued though? Most of the “Done With Covid” crowd has been half assing it at best all pandemic, caught covid doing some dumb poo poo and seem to have cracked either from that or after a thing they wanted to do got cancelled or postponed because everyone got sick. Like I don’t believe any of them have been on lockdown for years or whatever else suspect claims about their responsible behavior thus far they’ve made.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Crazypoops posted:

Family time at Costco is the saddest loving thing in the world pandemic or not

It's a thread of the most vanilla goons imaginable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Zodium posted:

been thinking a lot about your battle fatigue posts. :3:

McCracAttack posted:

They've probably seen other people "walking into fire" for weeks/months without issue. If you don't pay attention it's not hard to convince yourself things are more or less normal aside from an increased chance of catching a "nasty cold".

I think I’ve mentioned it before, but going from the veterans groups on Facebook and reddit everyone’s having a Bad Time. A lot of that is because VAC has suspended home visits and their offices are closed, so the standard of care has fallen of a cliff, it’s a stressful situation and a population susceptible to stress, a huge chunk of veterans are chuds and are reacting predictably - but -

I feel like I’ve spent all of that time in therapy and support groups not to have a detached fatalism, not to have these patterns of thought, respond to danger in that idk inhumane, unnatural way. You know, soldiering requires that you are trained to think, act and behave in really hosed up ways just to do it.

One school of thought on PTSD is that what fucks you up is not doing that enough - if you’re aware of what’s going on around you, nobody could be expected to endure that. You have to turn it (conscience, awareness I guess) off and just do your drills or you’ll be traumatized. Another is that the damage comes from doing it too much - you become unable to function in any other environment. Ernst Jünger and Chris Kyle would be examples of that.

Right, so I spend all this time trying to enter the Civie Street and let go of these hosed up ways of thinking. I feel bad for having them, I’m always trying to unlearn them, there’s no reverse-Battle School on the way out the door, if you know what I mean.

When I was still in, and the Medical Officer ordered me to go to therapy I thought it would make me soft and I would lose my edge, and it did, and I think a lot of the past few years has been learning that that’s a good thing, and pushing the Hooah stuff out of my mind. It made it way, way harder, because for the first time I had to think and feel things I had built up all of this architecture not to think and feel. It really did mean I was incapable of doing the job anymore too, or even thinking about it the same way. It took a long time before I viewed that as healing, and I’m still half resistant to it. It really sucks, you know?

You feel like a pussy compared to guys in Battalion, and then you have to think that that’s because being in Battalion requires you to think in ways that are hosed up, to do a hosed up job, and not get hosed up by it.

but then what happens? There’s a biological agent as dangerous as mustard gas and everybody wants to take their respirators off.

I would probably be handling this better if I hadn’t gone to therapy, at least in some ways.

so yeah, I feel like I kind of got hosed here because all of this sensitivity and concern about human life came back to bite me in the rear end lol