Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Leal posted:

:catholic: : And would you take Jack as your husband, till death do you part?
;-* I do
:c00l: Bullshit *blasts Limp Bizkit*

Ultimate Character Development. Going from blasting Limp Bizkit to Sinatra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

There should be more games in this vein, just wild reimaginings of poo poo from the NES era and earlier where the source material is so sparse in detail that it leaves room for bizarre interpretation. Like how the box art for old games was always a fever dream of nonsense that only bore the vaguest possible resemblance to the pixelly mess on the screen. Now that box art can be faithfully rendered in 4K!

Really the only other successful mainstream examples I can think of for this are BotW as a modern redo of sorts for Zelda 1, with Bionic Commando: Rearmed and Bomberman Act Zero as horrible cautionary tales

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i cant loving wait to pick up cactuars and scream at them at the top of my lungs until they explode into a puff of red smoke

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Isn't Blaster Master Zero (the first one at least) also basically just a wild reimagining of the original game?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Asterite34 posted:

There should be more games in this vein, just wild reimaginings of poo poo from the NES era and earlier where the source material is so sparse in detail that it leaves room for bizarre interpretation. Like how the box art for old games was always a fever dream of nonsense that only bore the vaguest possible resemblance to the pixelly mess on the screen. Now that box art can be faithfully rendered in 4K!

Do you really want that version of Mega Man 1?

If nothing else, SE absolutely nailed the marketing for this one. I don't know how the initial CHAOS trailer was envisioned to be seen, but either way they loving ran with it and managed to build some excellent hype for it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really wasn't expecting to apparently befriend Astos

Mega64
May 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/fforigin/status/1485743274157649923

https://twitter.com/fforigin/status/1485749912142856196

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Square-Enix are cowards if they don't make this game canon to FF1.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This joke video from the initial wave of Chaos memes honestly got me extremely hyped for the game for some reason

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Square-Enix are cowards if they don't make this game canon to FF1.

I'll be shocked if it isn't canon. Mobius is likely canon, hell loving Dissidia is basically canon as a FF1 prequel.

SE does not loving give a poo poo, it owns.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Frank Sinatra crooning My Way over a Final Fantasy trailer was not the direction I thought the franchise would go and it's so loving awesome.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

My only question after watching this -

Is it too early to crown the "Game of the Decade"?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Stranger of Paradise is going to be the game of all time

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mega64 posted:

I'll be shocked if it isn't canon. Mobius is likely canon, hell loving Dissidia is basically canon as a FF1 prequel.

Give me a Jack skin and unique voice lines for Garland in the next Dissidia game.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Final Fantasy Megathread: Doing It My Way (By Killing Chaos)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So Jack is in a time loop, right? Because he's Garland. That's why everyone talks about how he'll forget, and also why he's resolving not to forget.

I wonder if NG+ cycles will be contextualized in-game as part of the time loop...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

thetoughestbean posted:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

thetoughestbean posted:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

MechaX posted:

My dude had his cell phone in hand at the goddamn altar with his soon-to-be wife
Sara will be literally embracing the Chaos.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Mega64 posted:

The true ending will always be 8-Bit Theater.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I hope the last gen versions can run okay. A better PC or a PS5 by March is not happening for me.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Should have used the Limp Bizkit My Way instead.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's the theme that plays when he goes Full Garland

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So have they included playable female characters yet? Just a yes or no will suffice.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

So have they included playable female characters yet? Just a yes or no will suffice.

There's two party members that are ladies. But if that's your first and only litmus test on whether or not a game is worth playing you should probably just bow out of discussions period IMO.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Captain Baal posted:

Stranger of Paradise is going to be the game of all time

I see what you did there

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

every bit of info about this game is better than the last

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This is the story... of an angry man.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There's two party members that are ladies. But if that's your first and only litmus test on whether or not a game is worth playing you should probably just bow out of discussions period IMO.

Are they playable, or just present? Keep in mind I stopped paying attention around when Jack said 'bullshit', I might need some catchup.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Captain Baal posted:

This is the story... of an angry man.

im prepared to learn why jack is an angry man

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I seriously can't believe how unironically good this dumb game looks.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

I seriously can't believe how unironically good this dumb game looks.

stranger of paradise is proof that games are art

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The best part is that the gameplay itself looks fun as poo poo. If the demo is anything to go by this is going to be so goddamn fun! Hype train ready for a suplex

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Are you new here? Lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cleretic posted:

Are they playable, or just present? Keep in mind I stopped paying attention around when Jack said 'bullshit', I might need some catchup.

make some more jokes about madden or something

edit: "jokes"

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Chaos left the lid off my jar of peanut butter

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Chaos?

… whatever

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I have literally not been in this thread for months, and dipped my head in to ask a single question, because I want to like a Final Fantasy Soulsborne-style game based in FF1's world but have one glaring problem with the one we're getting.

Can I play as one of those female party members, or not?

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
Here, let me watch back through my last playthrough

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Jacqueline Garland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

As far as I can tell there's only been one PLAYABLE character. Females are part of the party and story, but like pre-patch XV it seems like they're just going to be AI buddies. I haven't looked too deeply into it though, someone can tell me if I'm wrong.