Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

So Jack is in a time loop, right? Because he's Garland. That's why everyone talks about how he'll forget, and also why he's resolving not to forget.

I wonder if NG+ cycles will be contextualized in-game as part of the time loop...

I have to assume it will. Bonus points if you only get the true ending after playing through the game 4 times or however many difficulty settings there are.

e: after looking at the ps5 store page, it lists the names of the 3 dlcs in the season pass with the last one being kinda spoilery Different Future

Cleretic posted:

Now I'm almost annoyed that I have to pay attention, because this might possibly be what I need, depending on how they actually do it. Like, is this a full co-op campaign where everyone gets the full experience at once, or is it a Dark Souls-esque 'turn up to help someone complete Mt. Gulg and then disappear once Marilith's dead'? Of course, 'is the netcode good' is also a question, far as I know this team hasn't tried that before, have they?

Of course, the fact they did this also provides some optimism they'll allow for 'Not Jack' solo play, too, like they did with FFXV (and Nioh by different roads). They've already done the intensive part of actually making them fully playable, after all.

Nioh 1 and 2 had both full co-op and just be summoned in to help with X.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

lih posted:

nioh had co-op and it seems similar to that. in the demo you could do co-op on a per-level basis - one player is the host who gets story progression & the other two get to be the party members. no this is not an ideal system but whatever

Welp, if it's like that, thar's a whiff. Disappointing, I imagine there would be appeal on a single continuous co-op campaign for this.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cleretic posted:

Welp, if it's like that, thar's a whiff. Disappointing, I imagine there would be appeal on a single continuous co-op campaign for this.

Nioh 2 had full co-op where everyone progresses idk wtf that guy is talking about

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
that's just what it was like in the demo they put it out, we have no idea what it'll be like in the real game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There's literally no reason to believe it'd have regressed on how Nioh 1 and 2 did it, especially when in the combat trailer it says "if you're having trouble...any missions you've cleared or the next one".

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
im going to invade chaos

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Do we have details on the PC release of this game? I'm guessing it's getting a PC release (probably on Epic) on launch?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mysticblade posted:

Do we have details on the PC release of this game? I'm guessing it's getting a PC release (probably on Epic) on launch?

Correct, EGS on launch on PC.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

Sincerity rules

:hai:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kind of surprised they didn't use the Sid Vicious version to be honest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDyb_alTkMQ

or even the Gary Oldman version of Sid's version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arMXYEDuWPg
fake edit: probably too much drugs swearing in those tho :v:

Not that hearing Franks original is in any way a bad thing mind you.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
oh wait wtf why did I think it was on steam square keeps doing this egs poo poo I should've just figured otherwise

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If they could publish the game via NFT on a blockchain they'd do that poo poo too. SE's executives are on a lot of cocaine, I think.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No just tired of Cleretics horseshit bad faith arguing and general dogshit posting so I just figured telling her plainly to stop would be easier than watching her start the same derail for the 12th time.

Like we already know you're not going to buy it because it'd an action game and you think those are bad Cleretic. We've had that series of posts half a dozen times and the other one you tried to stir up just now multiple times as well. We all know how you feel. Shut up if you're just gonna post the same 3 things over and over

this kind of poo poo is infinitely more tedious than cleretic's List Of Why Jack Is Rude And Toxic

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's literally no reason to believe it'd have regressed on how Nioh 1 and 2 did it, especially when in the combat trailer it says "if you're having trouble...any missions you've cleared or the next one".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q-rg3m_XyM

Combat trailer for those who didn't see it.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Wait isn’t Chris Sabat Garland also in the game preaching the good word of Chaos?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

Wait isn’t Chris Sabat Garland also in the game preaching the good word of Chaos?

In the demo that was not Garland, it was "Chaos" and was one of the party members under control or something.

(See: BULLSHIT.)

Edit:

Also, I need to put this out there. Jack Garland is a millennial.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The first trial labeled them "Chaos???" and then the second one it was "Chaos Advent"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Chaos: Advent Children

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

Also, I need to put this out there. Jack Garland is a millennial.

Just wait until you hear him verbally say lol with a straight face

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

a kitten posted:

Kind of surprised they didn't use the Sid Vicious version to be honest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDyb_alTkMQ

or even the Gary Oldman version of Sid's version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arMXYEDuWPg
fake edit: probably too much drugs swearing in those tho :v:

Not that hearing Franks original is in any way a bad thing mind you.

No, it should have been Sparks’s When Do I Get to Sing “My Way”.

https://youtu.be/C8dqCQ2MHfQ

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q-rg3m_XyM

Combat trailer for those who didn't see it.

I liked the part where he crystallized that screaming cactaur and broke it into a bunch of pieces.

You're next, moogles.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The boss designs are so drat sick, wowee that Lich.

Mega64 posted:

If nothing else, SE absolutely nailed the marketing for this one. I don't know how the initial CHAOS trailer was envisioned to be seen, but either way they loving ran with it and managed to build some excellent hype for it.

What's really remarkable is that they easily could've fallen victim to marketer brain and played into the CHAOS meme, overdoing it and ruining the joke, but instead they seemed to outright run away from a whisper of "chaos" and it paid off in spades because the rest of the game is goofy enough to appeal without it. A perfect example of why marketers should avoid pandering and instead trust that the product is good enough to describe it sincerely.

DanielCross posted:

Isn't Blaster Master Zero (the first one at least) also basically just a wild reimagining of the original game?

It is indeed, and they even made the genius decision to base the story on the extremely goofy western plot (boy chases his pet frog, finds tank and decides to kill mutants with it) and add in elements of the space opera drama of the original, much dryer JP version.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pigbuster posted:

The boss designs are so drat sick, wowee that Lich.

The boss designs are what has me the most hyped.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SE is probably a bit confused why everyone was so hype about sad robots in Nier, and now they’re hype af about angry men who love limp bizkit and hate chaos, yet nobody gave a gently caress about Lightning’s hot friends and weird son.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mysticblade posted:

Yeah disappointingly it's exclusive to Epic.

jokes posted:

SE is probably a bit confused why everyone was so hype about sad robots in Nier, and now they’re hype af about angry men who love limp bizkit and hate chaos, yet nobody gave a gently caress about Lightning’s hot friends and weird son.

I don't expect they will ever understand this, but the characters just need to be well written. Final Fantasy XIII had terrible characters, the whole cast was extremely bad and some of the worst writing Square has ever done.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Lightning Returns was good, but I don't think even the people who like Lightning Returns believe that.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cleretic posted:

Lightning Returns was good, but I don't think even the people who like Lightning Returns believe that.

Yeah this is my read on LR. Good game..

..I think?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

jokes posted:

Yeah this is my read on LR. Good game..

..I think?

LR combat was pretty drat sweet and the pacing was just right for me. Don't really remember much story besides attack and dethrone god.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

jokes posted:

A lot of people really liked Lightning's hot friends.

Like a lot. 2 Sequels worth of fans and a poo poo ton of merch and Lightning riding popularity polls.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I liked some of the Hope and Snow parts

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

leftist heap posted:

I liked some of the Hope and Snow parts

Sazh was also cool. And Fang's a powerful lesbian trying to protect her wife. Caius is so goddamn hammy he's perfect.

Basically it's just Vanille that kinda sucks.

Also LR is one of the best character action games I've ever played. They pulled in those DMC combat gimmicks and feel into an RPG framework and made it work.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Honestly I'll always go to bat for Lightning Returns, my only real complaint is that there's a single required perfect dodge that has a weirdly tight window right at the end, which is basically the worst time to have weirdly bad controls, because it immediately put me in a bad mood at the end of a game I otherwise really liked.

It's just hard to talk openly positively about it because it's Lightning loving Returns. That's the equivalent of someone really talking up, like, a really late Silent Hill game; not only is it completely right to question how that one managed to suddenly get good, but you also kind of question the standards of someone who stuck around long enough to check it out.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Oh I do remember being really excited about getting some hot pink weapons.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
One of the standard voice clips that Lightning can open combat with is "God is dead" and that by itself makes Lightning Returns a good game

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Cleretic posted:

Honestly I'll always go to bat for Lightning Returns, my only real complaint is that there's a single required perfect dodge that has a weirdly tight window right at the end, which is basically the worst time to have weirdly bad controls, because it immediately put me in a bad mood at the end of a game I otherwise really liked.

It's just hard to talk openly positively about it because it's Lightning loving Returns. That's the equivalent of someone really talking up, like, a really late Silent Hill game; not only is it completely right to question how that one managed to suddenly get good, but you also kind of question the standards of someone who stuck around long enough to check it out.

I did not play XIII or XIII-2 since I was pretty sure I wouldn't like them much. I just skipped right to LR and it was good.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Final Fantasy XIII and its 3 discs are all good, actually.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

XIII-2 still the best one. Some people just can't ride that chocobo.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
13 and 13-2 are on Game Pass (but not LR for some reason) so like if you have time on your hands and a dollar and they're doing a promo which they do every so often you could do worse with your time.

I didn't dislike either of them even if they both had really rough bits and 13's rough bit is the entire drat tutorial

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

NikkolasKing posted:

XIII-2 still the best one. Some people just can't ride that chocobo.

Yep. XIII-2 is my favourite of the three by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I liked XIII-2 the best of them as well, it was fun even if some of the time hopping was sorta hard to parse outside of that Skynet Hope made. Or the Dead goddess thing that was a bit that fell off Versus or something.

Helps that Sarah having the N7 designation is canon.