Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Captain Baal posted:

Just finished the Shibuya Incident arc and god I don't think anything been as brutal as Gojo melting Hanami or Sukuna vaporizing an entire section of Shibuya. Surprised at how well the manga manages to make fighting against some of these guys seem so drat hopeless.

This is why I always avoided Shibuya whenever I visited Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

poo poo also felt pretty hopeless when Jogo roasted Nanami, Maki and Naobito with ease. Honestly everyone on the good side probably would have died if Sukuna had not defeated Jogo. I don't think anyone in Shibuya could have taken him.

That's why I feel it's better we moved away from opponents on that level as cool as those scenes are

It felt impossible for anyone to take on the disaster level curses other than Gojo , so the fights becomes less a question of how will they win and more of how will they stall for time before Gojo comes in and threatens them with instant annihilation so they have to run away.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

gege did a really incredible job of cutting down the power level we were dealing with while still raising the stakes. extremely smooth shounen balancing act

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah the ceiling was set early and hasnt moved an inch.
Very good choice by gege.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah like all the strong Sorcerers we are seeing in the Culling game are 1st Grade Sorcerer level. So around the level of Nanami, Mei Mei and Todo.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

The Nanami death got me really hard. That's like one of my favorite characters and seeing him get roasted then shamble his way through the subway with half of his upper body scarred only to have to meet death at Mahito's hands was so tough.

Terminator Nanami getting exploded was a crushing moment but man did he go out with some style.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I'm not thinking about the rules of this the way a lot of you are (but i appreciate the hell out of it), but I gotta echo this is the best executed and built up new shounen i've engaged with in a very very long time.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/385/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-173?2022-01-28

Getting hype

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Fushiguro's slowly losing it, and I'm all for it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wait a second
Is Takaba's power just being a gag character?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait a second

Yes.
And as we know from the seminal work on the topic, Dragon Ball Super, a battle manga character cannot fight a gag manga character

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yes.
And as we know from the seminal work on the topic, Dragon Ball Super, a battle manga character cannot fight a gag manga character

but can gag character take on a cockroach?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Wait a second

It makes it funnier in hindsight to know that the injury he took when he first showed up was completely intentional for the gag to work. And work it did.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Guess Takaba believes himself to be 70% a comedian who thinks that they're funny and 30% who is funny

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
How did Reggie have enough time to get all those receipts if he was just reincarnated? Anyway, good fight, and I'm hype to see Okkotsu really go to town.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Scallop Eyes posted:

How did Reggie have enough time to get all those receipts if he was just reincarnated? Anyway, good fight, and I'm hype to see Okkotsu really go to town.

The culling game's been going on for almost 3 weeks at this point right? That's enough time to go dumpster diving for a bunch of receipts

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

So it's Yusuke, but he looks like Kuwabara. :allears:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CharlestonJew posted:

The culling game's been going on for almost 3 weeks at this point right? That's enough time to go dumpster diving for a bunch of receipts

2 weeks.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Scallop Eyes posted:

I bet he lost his mind when he realized modern receipts were just mass printed with a machine. I imagine his power was way more difficult to use a few hundred years ago.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ethiser posted:

I bet he lost his mind when he realized modern receipts were just mass printed with a machine. I imagine his power was way more difficult to use a few hundred years ago.

It should be noted that Incarnated Sorcerers and Cursed Spirits, get their common knowledge from their host. Once Reggie was reincarnated his host would have supplied him with knowledge of the modern world.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MonsterEnvy posted:

It should be noted that Incarnated Sorcerers and Cursed Spirits, get their common knowledge from their host. Once Reggie was reincarnated his host would have supplied him with knowledge of the modern world.

When did this get stated?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

When did this get stated?

By Gege in the guidebook.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MonsterEnvy posted:

By Gege in the guidebook.

Neat anything else interesting in the guidebook?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Neat anything else interesting in the guidebook?

Yes a stupid amount.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I really hope we get a Reggie flashback, he's too good of a character to never see again.

Also everything Takaba says is gonna be a bitch to translate.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RatHat posted:

I really hope we get a Reggie flashback, he's too good of a character to never see again.

Also everything Takaba says is gonna be a bitch to translate.

I dont think its hard to translate as its just impossible , as people outside of japan just lack the frame of reference understand his deal.
Hes a walking reference to japanese comedic acts.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yes a stupid amount.

What's it called? Having trouble finding it online.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

What's it called? Having trouble finding it online.

jujutsu kaisen official fanbook

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1S5wqHy3CiTkprxsNk5jiNgUXm8wadvg3-lq1jFM88Nw/edit

I found the text translation of it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Official
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-173/chapter/23852?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1012632

No mention of Ryu being able to shoot his energy like a cannon oddly, but Dhruv's ability is more clear kinda sad he died before showing off because having a domain based around the trajectory of his two shikigami sounds insane.

Also Mangaplus has all the chapters for free for the first read on their app
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/web_pages/578/

Weird limitations, but might be good if anyone needs to catchup and can't Viz or any of the fan translations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I quite like Takaba's power.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/396/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-174?2022-02-04

Break next week and this chapter is horrifying

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm in love with Ryu already.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Okkutsu out here murking special grade (I'm assuming) domain-welding ancient sorcerers without breaking a sweat. Meanwhile Yuji got his rear end kicked by a grade 1 whose only been a sorcerer for 3 weeks and Megumi barely won vs Reggie who doesn't even have a domain.

But Okkutsu isn't the MC anymore and building him up like this means he's giving off too many defeat flags. Maybe he'll lose to fake Geto to show off how powerful brainy is?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

yum posted:

Okkutsu out here murking special grade (I'm assuming) domain-welding ancient sorcerers without breaking a sweat. Meanwhile Yuji got his rear end kicked by a grade 1 whose only been a sorcerer for 3 weeks and Megumi barely won vs Reggie who doesn't even have a domain.

But Okkutsu isn't the MC anymore and building him up like this means he's giving off too many defeat flags. Maybe he'll lose to fake Geto to show off how powerful brainy is?

I mean the deal with Kenjaku has never been strength but that theyre ancient and they have more tricks and knowledge than practically anyone alive.

Hell kenjaku already outplayed Gojo and plunged all of japan into the culling game. We dont need more proof, Its clear theyre second only to sukuna in terms of being a threat.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 4, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

yum posted:

Dhurv did not have a traditional domain. But his Cursed Technique was a poor match up for the Cockroach here. But the Cockroach is special grade, and has a scary cursed tool, so it could potentially threaten Okkotsu.
Also Reggie was easily a grade 1 Sorcerer. Domains are super rare, but a Cursed Spirit like this one has a good chance of having one and that can threaten Okkotsu

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
What's with the civilians being in the colony? I thought Kenjaku led non-participants out of the game?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Lamebot posted:

What's with the civilians being in the colony? I thought Kenjaku led non-participants out of the game?

My dumbass guess is they didn't get out in the appointed time (either due to not believing or the curses/sorcerers keeping them inside) at which point they were forcibly kept inside. Maybe they got trapped from some of the combat or the arrival of the colony?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lamebot posted:

He offered them one chance to leave, or they would be forced. It's possible they stayed anyway. They could also be new sorcerers who are not into the whole killing game thing.