Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hexigrammus posted:

Whoops, now you've done it. Someone posted that article in the climate change thread a couple of weeks ago, leading to this picture being posted:

A mod offered sixers with this on the rap sheet. A lot of lurkers came out of the woodwork flooding the leper's colony with pictures of cute little bdelloid rotifer butt ends. This in turn led to QCS drama with people complaining that the quality of their leper's colony reading experience was ruined.

It was hilarious.

I'm still amused that goons take the Leper's Colony seriously. I pretty much only read it when I notice one of the regulars is probed for a week because they failed to provide 3 peer reviewed sources to support their statement in D&D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

drat, while i love that the public is getting into better masks like the aura, i should have bought some a few weeks ago since i wouldnt have to rely on my good, yet not super well fitting headstrap powecoms when i return to the factory in march

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/CBSSunday/status/1485266433164595206

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

My favorite part is when they take all the (teenage) ambulance drivers they have left and put them in the same room together maskless but exactly six feet apart for an interview.

Edit: That ain't even six feet.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jan 25, 2022

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

The Wisest Moron posted:

It's your own fault really for not keeping your own backup images.

keeping back up images is a good way for Asproigerosis to get fired

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.
I'm the mask dicknosing at the end while the narrators says "to the rescue, once more".

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

McCracAttack posted:

My favorite part is when they take all the (teenage) ambulance drivers they have left and put them in the same room together maskless but exactly six feet apart for an interview.

Remember that per our treaties with COVID the required distance is only 3 feet if you're under 18.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I did everything right and followed all the rules though

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

mawarannahr posted:

It’s this lmao

That's my boy!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I want a repeat interview after the first time they respond to a morbidly obese patient who died because they passed out while urinating and their huge gut got stuck between the toilet and the wall.

Happens all the time and if it’s in an apartment and not loud enough to get help, they’re not found until after they die and eventually pop.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

McCracAttack posted:

It's a lol because you know someone was told to estimate putting chairs 6 feet apart for the interview, and most Americans can't even estimate this correctly.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

FizFashizzle posted:

I want a repeat interview after the first time they respond to a morbidly obese patient who died because they passed out while urinating and their huge gut got stuck between the toilet and the wall.

Happens all the time and if it’s in an apartment and not loud enough to get help, they’re not found until after they die and eventually pop.

:haibrower:

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Weaponized Autism posted:

It's a lol because you know someone was told to estimate putting chairs 6 feet apart for the interview, and most Americans can't even estimate this correctly.

or some person did 6 feet, then the camera man was like “we can’t fit them all in the shot” and the producer said, “ok well let’s just move them together. you are all vaccinated or whatever right?”

and then 50% of them shook their heads and the others remained silent and they filmed

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

mawarannahr posted:

It’s this lmao

this guy fucks

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

FizFashizzle posted:

Lol does this really happen a lot?

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

My coworker had chills, fever, coughing and weakness Sunday. He suspected Covid so he quarantined away from his 1 yr old son and wife and had his dad bring him a rapid test Monday morning - popped positive.

His wife tells her work about this and their response was that she had to come in, since he was the only one sick. Now he has to take care of his son while being sick as hell because they don’t want to bring him to daycare and be a plague carrier, and his wife has to go to work and hope she doesn’t have covid and infect her coworkers. She’s taking as many precautions as possible but they gotta make money so :shrug:

Totally cool and normal world we live in. Hail capitalism Satan

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 66 days!

Platystemon posted:

lives with malaria by fearlessly hacking through the jungle with a machete and a pith helmet

loving dies

That used to happen often.

Sometimes, to entire armies. Like the 33,000 troops Napoleon sent to re-conquer Santo Domingo. 29,000 of them were dead of yellow fever inside a year. See The 1802 Saint-Domingue Yellow Fever Epidemic and the Louisiana Purchase

Telling your troops they were about to take ship for the West Indies around 1800 was an excellent way to start a mutiny. Because by 1800, the news was out: if you go there, you'll probably be dead inside of 2 years.

The officers didn't have to mutiny because they could just resign, and many of them did.

J. R. McNeill has many more examples where that come from. See Mosquito Empires: Ecology and War in the Greater Caribbean, 1620–1914.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CongoJack posted:

idk but at this rate itll get me if covid doesn't

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

FizFashizzle posted:

That owns, that's how I wanna go

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AnaCabrera/status/1485946235223687169?t=ig8LIMKjWvBei-WELyVeTQ&s=19

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Just in time, rad

Good job everyone

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CongoJack posted:

Often enough that every EMT has or has heard a story.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

truly impossible to imagine

https://twitter.com/lukeoneil47/status/1485953263149195271?s=21

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

:lol:
If COVID gets bad enough, the Chinese might be reduced to living like Americans

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Scientific American had a thing a week ago saying that even though the effacacy of the vaccine against the original virus was 90%+ they don't need to roll out an updated vaccine because "hospitalization rates are below 50%"

To which my response is, "so there's the capability to sell me variant specific vaccines, you just won't because the profit margin isn't high enough?"

I would happily pay $50 a month for the latest vaccines so I could go back to suck and gently caress town, sign me the gently caress up yo

I guess omicron is going to likely spawn it's own variants so pfizer is already mass producing their omicron specific vaccine ahead of approval

I wish they'd hurry the gently caress up though. FDA needs to get their approval process down to 14 days if we're ever going to stay ahead of new variants

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

good thing by the time it's approved we'll be up to epsilon or whatever

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
600 hospitals reported nothing today. Number stay stagnant.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Denmark will in all likelihood revoke all restrictions and mandates and downgrade COVID to "non-critical" on January 31. Go Team Death.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Nastier Nate posted:

good thing by the time it's approved we'll be up to epsilon or whatever

the last variant will be the epstine variant

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Rynn posted:

My coworker had chills, fever, coughing and weakness Sunday. He suspected Covid so he quarantined away from his 1 yr old son and wife and had his dad bring him a rapid test Monday morning - popped positive.

His wife tells her work about this and their response was that she had to come in, since he was the only one sick. Now he has to take care of his son while being sick as hell because they don’t want to bring him to daycare and be a plague carrier, and his wife has to go to work and hope she doesn’t have covid and infect her coworkers. She’s taking as many precautions as possible but they gotta make money so :shrug:

Totally cool and normal world we live in. Hail capitalism Satan

Have they considered a coding bootcamp? I feel like you might not be understanding how Open Biden works, friend.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Hadlock posted:

Scientific American had a thing a week ago saying that even though the effacacy of the vaccine against the original virus was 90%+ they don't need to roll out an updated vaccine because "hospitalization rates are below 50%"

To which my response is, "so there's the capability to sell me variant specific vaccines, you just won't because the profit margin isn't high enough?"

I would happily pay $50 a month for the latest vaccines so I could go back to suck and gently caress town, sign me the gently caress up yo

I guess omicron is going to likely spawn it's own variants so pfizer is already mass producing their omicron specific vaccine ahead of approval

I wish they'd hurry the gently caress up though. FDA needs to get their approval process down to 14 days if we're ever going to stay ahead of new variants

VaaS

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
In a world gone insane what is a goon to do?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

did they find the plague monkeys yet

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 66 days!

ikanreed posted:

Counterpoint: the us won several stupid, unnecessary wars of expansion in the 19th century.

And most of them, particularly the Mexican War and the Spanish American War, were against opponents that any reasonably competent army could go through like grass through a goose, even while sleepwalking.

The Mexican Army was a particularly horrifying case in point. Chronically and intentionally underfunded, so corruption was at levels that would probably shock someone whose expectations were conditioned by the 1972 ARVN or the 2018 Afghan Army.

And no Mexican President in his right mind let them stray very far away from Mexico City, because their most important function was to protect the sitting President against government seizure from within.

Even though the Comanche had been raiding literally at will across all of Northern Mexico with complete impunity since 1839.

The math was both ridiculous and horrifying: 20 million Mexicans could not secure their northern states from 40 thousand Comanche. And that was the total population of the Comanche when they were at their absolute demographic height, including infants, small children, women, and men too old to ride out on raids.

DeLay takes the history and correlation of forces up in some detail, in War of a Thousand Deserts: Indian Raids and the U.S.-Mexican War.

And the Spanish Army in 1898 made the Mexican Army of 1846 look like the mid-1941 Wehrmacht.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
posting from 15 pages ago but eczema/skin problem goons:

switch to making your own soap. I've been struggling with manufacturers changing recipes and loving up my skin for years, way before covid. it's easy as gently caress to make a couple pounds of olive oil cold process soap that will last you a long time. a 2 lb batch lasts me a year, and that's with bringing a bar in a container with me to work to use instead of the soap in the restrooms.

simple cold proceds castille soap

no slime castille

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yes please

Doubly so if they just FedEx me the nasal spray

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pillowpants posted:

600 hospitals reported nothing today. Number stay stagnant.

COVID is over!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CPU Abuser posted:

And most of them, particularly the Mexican War and the Spanish American War, were against opponents that any reasonably competent army could go through like grass through a goose, even while sleepwalking.

The Mexican Army was a particularly horrifying case in point. Chronically and intentionally underfunded, so corruption was at levels that would probably shock someone whose expectations were conditioned by the 1972 ARVN or the 2018 Afghan Army.

And no Mexican President in his right mind let them stray very far away from Mexico City, because their most important function was to protect the sitting President against government seizure from within.

Even though the Comanche had been raiding literally at will across all of Northern Mexico with complete impunity since 1839.

The math was both ridiculous and horrifying: 20 million Mexicans could not secure their northern states from 40 thousand Comanche. And that was the total population of the Comanche when they were at their absolute demographic height, including infants, small children, women, and men too old to ride out on raids.

DeLay takes the history and correlation of forces up in some detail, in War of a Thousand Deserts: Indian Raids and the U.S.-Mexican War.

And the Spanish Army in 1898 made the Mexican Army of 1846 look like the mid-1941 Wehrmacht.

Mexico still can't secure their northern states

That's a tremendous amount of high desert with almost no economic value

Besides the Colorado River project providing water to otherwise unusable land, the American side of the Mexican border is mostly unusable land a thousand miles from a major sea port with only a single rail line running though it

Mexico City, on south is full of riches and pretty productive farmland with good rainfall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

not_superiority posted:

posting from 15 pages ago but eczema/skin problem goons:

switch to making your own soap. I've been struggling with manufacturers changing recipes and loving up my skin for years, way before covid. it's easy as gently caress to make a couple pounds of olive oil cold process soap that will last you a long time. a 2 lb batch lasts me a year, and that's with bringing a bar in a container with me to work to use instead of the soap in the restrooms.

simple cold proceds castille soap

no slime castille

i agree with this and have done for years. it's great. my spouse wrote a little app to customize the exact profile of fatty acids you want to get the precise soap texture lol.

but if you don't want to bother (not everyone wants to gently caress with lye, say), aveeno stuff is a pretty good alternative.

McNugget Buddy posted:

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1485851252751745027

Holy gently caress what if all the people reporting Shingles as a COVID symptom actually have the monkey death virus

wouldn't be the first time. in the late 80s there was the outbreak of simian hemorrhagic fever and when studying it a dude found ebola-like viruses in some lab macaques. reston ended up being a serious viral infection but not fatal in most monkeys, but they found a handful of animal handlers (in the US) who ended up testing asymptomatically positive for the virus nonetheless

anyway i think he's being a bit much in that tweet "ebola is pretty unlikely but i mean i'm just asking questions here to my huge following"