Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

I 100% meant that in the best way possible. My favorite thing about both these series is not the plot but when they take the time to indulge in the universe in a way a feature film never does. BDH just has a Star Wars toy and plays with it leisurely for 50 minutes and I am there for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I wanna know more about the Darksaber apparently having real weight if you aren’t using it properly. Is that something I’ve forgotten from the TCW eps it’s in?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Vinylshadow posted:

Also nice to see Mando upgrading to a...what is that, space mustang hotrod?

I got the energy of those folks turning P-51s into race planes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Beggar's Canyon run looked really good.

[edit] Also really enjoyed how, even as competent a fighter Din is, he still fucks himself up when wielding a Jedi weapon lmao. Lots of neat bits this ep.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think it has to do with the way the lightsabers were originally thought of in the OT. They were supposed to be very heavy and hard to use for a non force user or just in general. Like Excalibur.

The prequels opted for a more twirly visually dramatic style. I think this is the way those two concepts can be bridged. You need to be one with the force.

Also the line about how everything looked nicer in the PT was due to being hand crafted vs robots fills in the style change too.

I love it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CelticPredator posted:

I think it has to do with the way the lightsabers were originally thought of in the OT. They were supposed to be very heavy and hard to use for a non force user or just in general. Like Excalibur.

The prequels opted for a more twirly visually dramatic style. I think this is the way those two concepts can be bridged. You need to be one with the force.

Also the line about how everything looked nicer in the PT was due to being hand crafted vs robots fills in the style change too.

I love it.

I guess this makes sense when you consider how unwieldy the saber suddenly is in ESB as Han slices open the tauntaun.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Belan posted:

Put Groku in the backseat of that N-1 and sell it as merch thanks.

Mando S3 spoilers

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Everyone shut up. Important lore got dropped

Amy Sedaris hosed a Jawa

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dragonstoned posted:

Mando S3 spoilers

lol stealing this

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wanna know more about the Darksaber apparently having real weight if you aren’t using it properly. Is that something I’ve forgotten from the TCW eps it’s in?

Trial of the Darksaber from Rebels talks about sabers feeling heavy because its wielder isn't in tune with it

"Energy constantly flows through the crystal. You're not fighting with a simple blade as much as you are directing a current of power. Your thoughts, your actions, they become energy. They flow through the crystal as well, and become a part of the blade. That sword is old, heavy, but powerful. Respect its strength. But you cannot rely solely on the blade. You must use all your skills together."

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

By the way, I checked the markings next to the cockpit of Din's new ship to the one Anakin used in TPM and they're not the same. Probably a good thing as that'd have been a bit too neat.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

Everyone shut up. Important lore got dropped

Amy Sedaris hosed a Jawa

Still not the weirdest thing she’s ever done, I bet.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
God, could you imagine how good this show would have been if they just Bryce Dallas Howard direct every episode?

Belan
May 7, 2007
Apparently that rod part was the same type that Han used to block the walls of the trash compactor in Episode IV.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

God, could you imagine how good this show would have been if they just Bryce Dallas Howard direct every episode?

I'd love to see how she would've done the Mos Vespa Chase, because the sense of speed in this episode was amazing

When Mando activated his sublights I was just as stunned as the officers

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also poor Din, the man knows exactly three Mandalorian authority figures and two of them are insane extremists and the other one… is Boba Fett :negative:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This is a really fantastic episode

But how is Mando going to carry his bounties around on his new little ship? There ain't no Carbonite storage on that thing.

How is he going to bring his friends to places??

A Ducati might feel good to have, but a minivan is still much more practical.

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

The astromech droid port was hollowed out and replaced with a window, a prisoner will fit there as long as they aren't a Wookiee or something.

Edit: Actually I don't think so, it'd be too cramped. But why else give it a window? For Grogu?

Minnesota Manatee fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jan 26, 2022

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Could fit quite a few heads in there though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

a droid that's got a severed head on it would certainly turn heads

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Vinylshadow posted:

Also nice to see Mando upgrading to a...what is that, space mustang hotrod?

this is the sort of ride Vin Diesel would go :vince: over

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
The Armorer straight up redubbed Sarah Connors narration of judgement day in T2. I half expected a close up of a K2 droid stomping on a Mandolorian helmet. Can we look forward to Din visiting that wasteland to atone in S3? Perhaps there remains a underground covert on the planet worshipping some unexploded Imperial payloads because weapons are their religion.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Neon Knight posted:

The Armorer straight up redubbed Sarah Connors narration of judgement day in T2. I half expected a close up of a K2 droid stomping on a Mandolorian helmet. Can we look forward to Din visiting that wasteland to atone in S3? Perhaps there remains a underground covert on the planet worshipping some unexploded Imperial payloads because weapons are their religion.

“Every day I wake up and I gotta go pray to the bomb. …This religion sucks.”

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

im not saying robert rodriguez is the problem, but this is now 3 for 3 on episodes not directed by him that are all better than the episodes directed by him. Holy gently caress the budget on this episode. Everything was awesome! I love the prequel connection world building stuff, like all the pre-empire ships not having the fascist police state tech, making it perfect for scoundrels. Love a good amy sedaris episode and all the new droids in her employ ruled.

Live action BD poggers.

If Mando S3 doesn't have a sick as gently caress dog fight where Mando just shreds a bunch of starfighters in his n-1 I'm gonna riot

Also here is my speculation on where this is ending up: given that the PROPHECY is that Mandalore will rise up on the back of a mythosaur it is pretty clear we are going to have a Boba-Mando-Bo'Katan 3way to retake & rebuild Mandalore. It will get teased/introduced in episode 7 and lead into Mando S3 which will be all about Mando loving around with all the little conclaves. I just love that the mando mandalorians are extremist pieces of poo poo, its such an interesting choice to make the protagonist in-group ostensibly villains from previous shows.

Give BDH her own movie / show - she has proven beyond a doubt to be one of the best directors of the star wars TV series.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 26, 2022

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jerkface posted:

Also here is my speculation on where this is ending up: given that the PROPHECY is that Mandalore will rise up on the back of a mythosaur it is pretty clear we are going to have a Boba-Mando-Bo'Katan 3way to retake & rebuild Mandalore. It will get teased/introduced in episode 7 and lead into Mando S3 which will be all about Mando loving around with all the little conclaves. I just love that the mando mandalorians are extremist pieces of poo poo, its such an interesting choice to make the protagonist in-group ostensibly villains from previous shows.

I liked hearing from their perspective that they're all about mutual trust and solidarity, while the Jedi come across as Randian space libertarians.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
That episode was awesome in basically every way. A BD droid and the X-wings popping up again made me grin like an idiot, along with everything else.

Necrothatcher posted:

By the way, I checked the markings next to the cockpit of Din's new ship to the one Anakin used in TPM and they're not the same. Probably a good thing as that'd have been a bit too neat.

I was wondering that as I watched it and noticed the markings, so thanks for doing the leg work.

Jerkface posted:

Give BDH her own movie / show - she has proven beyond a doubt to be one of the best directors of the star wars TV series.

:hmmyes:

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
That was certainly interesting choice to take the entire episode away from Bob's story. I'm not complaining, since the show in general feels like it's dragging it's heels, so this one covering a bunch of (unrelated) plot in a shorter time was welcome.

I still feel like they explain a bit too much in dialogue in a really handicapped way. Especially when it's referencing or retconning links to the movies.

Speaking of which, as much as I generally grown at the constant callbacks to the films in this series, I couldn't help but guffaw at Wizard.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Neon Knight posted:

The Armorer straight up redubbed Sarah Connors narration of judgement day in T2. I half expected a close up of a K2 droid stomping on a Mandolorian helmet.

Now that you say it, yeah that’s probably what it was. But when I was watching it I was thinking of the giant walker apocalypse memory from Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I like the misdirect since I expected the Darksaber to be straight up stolen when he checked it for his flight.

BDH is absolutely killing it. I'd like to see her continue to direct an episode of each Star Wars TV show, just so that I know know that at least one episode of whatever Star Wars show is out there will be of solid quality regardless of the script or overall plot of the show. Then again I heard there will be a Bo-Katan show, so maybe Filoni won't want to direct or showrun that and she'll take the helm there. They seem to be very much on point with the Mandoverse though, and Filoni's definitely going to be very involved in the Ahsoka show, so who knows what may happen there. I also don't know how well she could write and showrun things, since that's a lot more involved then coming in to direct an episode here and there. Even if she doesn't want to take a stab at writing/showrunning, having her direct a show's season from start to finish would be fun to see her vision across that many episodes of a single show, though by that point you're practically showrunning things anyway.

In any case, a fun episode and certainly the highlight of the season so far by a wide margin. Mando needs to stop offering to not get paid though: he did that twice this episode alone! I'll also never get tired of Mando getting pulled over by Republic X-wings. I think the biggest wish-fulfillment of any of the Disney+ Star Wars shows so far for me has come from Mando hitting his sick nitro booster to leave the cops in the dust while facing no negative repercussions for that at all.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 26, 2022

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Not gonna lie, when the ring appeared I hoped to see Kuat, but it was a fun hour of television and it's always nice to see Mr. Kim.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

BrianWilly posted:

But how is Mando going to carry his bounties around on his new little ship?

I can bring you in big, or I can bring you in small.

Episode rocked, but the difference in quality, both in looks and in the writing, is all the more staggering.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

This really felt like Mandalorian Season 3 Episode 1, which is cruel because now I have to wait so long for Episode 2

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Well, that episode loving ruled.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Hey aint it great when we see something that is not loving Tatooine?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

fatherboxx posted:

Hey aint it great when we see something that is not loving Tatooine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jXTBAGv9ZQ

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Arbite posted:

Not gonna lie, when the ring appeared I hoped to see Kuat, but it was a fun hour of television and it's always nice to see Mr. Kim.

gently caress, if they panned out to show that the ring was one of many and that they each had shipyards attached to them, with ships in various stages of construction, I would've lost my poo poo. Those Kuat shipyards were some juicy things in the old Legends books, and I think a design like that would fit really well with the high-tech vibe I got from their description.

Maybe we'll see something like that in Rogue One. Fighting to defend (or attack) a shipyard seems like a very fun time, and it helps to have lots of space station-y stuff to bob and weave around so it isn't just lots of dogfights in the void of space.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

drat, that's a cold open alright.

Best episode of the season. Nothing to do with Boba or his poo poo plot lmao. I guess this explains why people thought the season was 6 episodes but they shoved this one in to make it 7.

I'd feel bad for the mandalorians but they were a colonial empire so gently caress em. They just ran into a bigger bully.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Love love loved the not-Halo and that we finally get to see what happens when an ordinary, untrained Joe tries using a lightsabre (ie. they gently caress themselves up with it). Glad that the heavy weapon Mando survived, even they are a fundie arsehole. The T2 flashback owned, the Classic 'Car' Restoration owned, the episode in general owned even though it's completely disconnected from Boba's series and more a Mando Holiday Special that hasn't advanced the main plot at all. Also, lmao at Din having to travel coach, and being all "gently caress tha police" when asked to pull over. I feel bad for any bounties he takes though, not a lot of room in that astromech port...

So yeah, give Bryce a film or series if she wants, I've enjoyed all her eps so far.

Man, I wanna visit *that* space station, it looks so cool.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's the little things:

Bundle for Grogu was in the shape of Grogu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/ZZGI40A.mp4