Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Predictably, the Dune episode is a whole lot of “oh man x is so awesome, and y, so awesome!” And I just don’t get the enthusiasm for WLM. It’s just not fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

dorium posted:

I just wish they offered an ad free version on the patreon for the regular show. Feel like that's worth $10 a month. I get that with my LPOTL sub for $10 a month.

I am kind of assuming that maybe they can't do it because of their Headgum contract? I don't know, but I wish they'd consider it.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

BigglesSWE posted:

Predictably, the Dune episode is a whole lot of “oh man x is so awesome, and y, so awesome!” And I just don’t get the enthusiasm for WLM. It’s just not fun.

I agree it’s not as funny but I like listening to them talk about movies in general. They are the episodes I go back to least however. Unless I really am into the movie they are talking about.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
It was good, OP. They did goofy jokes about Momoa cosplay and Harkonnen's balsamic vinegar bath

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That episode was BRUUUTAL

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Would it be a waste of time to listen to if I haven't seen the movie? I feel like I'd be lost the whole time.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

JT Smiley posted:

Would it be a waste of time to listen to if I haven't seen the movie? I feel like I'd be lost the whole time.

They do a lot of bad movies that I haven’t see and I never feel like anything they say is lost on me. I’m more lost when they refer to movies OUTSIDE the movie they are covering. Don’t watch movies you don’t want to watch just for this podcast. You’ll be fine.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I feel like WHM's ability to entertain even when you haven't seen the movie is the biggest thing that separates them from other movie podcasts.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

JT Smiley posted:

I'll typically go watch a y/t bad movie reviews site first just to get a handle on things for movies I haven't seen (The Pest, Warriors of Virtue, Melrose Place) and get a visual and tonal reference, which I find helps increase my enjoyment. If I've actually seen the film, I enjoy the episode better for obvious reasons I guess.

Agree that the WLM ones lose a little something with the constant praise but I still enjoy most of them.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Yeah, I typically skip WLM episodes on movies I'm not interested in cause they tend to drag for me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

JT Smiley posted:

Dune is a really good movie and I’d recommend watching it.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

dorium posted:

I just wish they offered an ad free version on the patreon for the regular show. Feel like that's worth $10 a month. I get that with my LPOTL sub for $10 a month.

I've been saying this ever since I became a patreon subscriber. I'm guessing it would mess with their main feed download numbers and look bad to headgum and their advertisers.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Probably but I’m firmly on the side of who gives a poo poo cause they’re one of the bigger podcasts around. Headgum wouldn’t do anything about it.

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat

dorium posted:

I would even be fine with them just putting the regular feed shows into the Patreon feed so I can have them all in one place.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Invalid Validation posted:

Probably but I’m firmly on the side of who gives a poo poo cause they’re one of the bigger podcasts around. Headgum wouldn’t do anything about it.

Are they? Legit asking. I have no context for podcast numbers. Or even have any numbers, come to think of it.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

thrawn527 posted:

Are they? Legit asking. I have no context for podcast numbers. Or even have any numbers, come to think of it.

With the caveat that Patreon isn't necessarily indicative of actual free feed numbers, number 33 out of all podcast pages is pretty good. When you drill into their numbers, they peaked really close to getting into the top 10 a few years back but their own numbers have hit a ceiling while others grow. I don't know if I would say they have as much leverage at Headgum as some other people say but they're definitely up there in listener numbers.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cael posted:

With the caveat that Patreon isn't necessarily indicative of actual free feed numbers, number 33 out of all podcast pages is pretty good. When you drill into their numbers, they peaked really close to getting into the top 10 a few years back but their own numbers have hit a ceiling while others grow. I don't know if I would say they have as much leverage at Headgum as some other people say but they're definitely up there in listener numbers.

I haven't even heard of most of those :psyduck:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Iron Crowned posted:

I haven't even heard of most of those :psyduck:

There was an article going around about that top one a month or so ago and a lot of people got their brains broke by "how the gently caress is the top podcast on patreon two of the most irritating people alive just doing recaps of other true crime shows"

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The Patreon cowards shouldn't have let you hide how much you make per month, even though you can do some rough math based on subscribers.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Cael posted:

Huh, Blank Check is higher than them. I would have assumed the other way around, because, and I say this as a Blankie, Griffin Newman's voice is definitely an acquired taste.

Edit: I definitely would not have believed Well There's Your Problem was that high. It feels like they're doing their entire thing out of a shoebox in a Philadelphia basement..

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Huh, Blank Check is higher than them. I would have assumed the other way around, because, and I say this as a Blankie, Griffin Newman's voice is definitely an acquired taste.

Would you say he's like the Joker of voices?

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Their Boba Fett podcast is great if you wanna witness Eric's supervillain origin story in real time.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm not at that patreon level, but I'm guessing they don't like it that much judging from the previews on the main feed.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Edit: I definitely would not have believed Well There's Your Problem was that high. It feels like they're doing their entire thing out of a shoebox in a Philadelphia basement..

Justin needed all that money to finally activate his copy of Windows :v:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The Deleter posted:

I'm not at that patreon level, but I'm guessing they don't like it that much judging from the previews on the main feed.

They're annoyed at the continuing non-adventures of Boba Friend. Or Buddy Fett. Vote now on Instagram!

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Considering one of the founders of Headgum has an ad free feed for his own show I think you’re correct

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The Book of Boba Fett podcast is just becoming a dirge to me. I'll probably finish the show which is also kind of a dirge because it's like two or three more episodes and why not, but I've never gotten much out of "betrayed nerd" podcasts.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I never even started because the $8 level already has too much content for me to actually consume. And that's without even listening to the Nexus

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Only had one commute's worth of listening to today's Eternals, but I do love how the gang anticipates certain arguments so well. Andrew saying "the hand should have come up in a populated area to cause some devastation" I said aloud in my car "oh come the gently caress on, you ALWAYS complain about seventy five 9/11s!" and sure enough Eric immediately addressed that hypocrisy of that and put forth a good argument why they wanted it and I had to go ". . . yeah, good point".

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I never even started because the $8 level already has too much content for me to actually consume. And that's without even listening to the Nexus

You don't listen to the Nexus‽ What's wrong with you‽

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Hit me up in 2024 when they can get to DS9.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t really like Star Trek and can’t get through the old episodes but they make that show seem way cooler than it is. I particularly love how Bones is into classical numetal.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I don’t really like Star Trek and can’t get through the old episodes but they make that show seem way cooler than it is. I particularly love how Bones is into classical numetal.

Let me tell you 'bout a little band called Staind, Jimboy

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yeah they make TOS remarkably more palatable than it really is. TNG is still great tho and is only bolstered by their Picard and crew impressions.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I don't know what you all are talking about. TOS is a great show.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
My podcast feed has been pretty light lately, maybe it's time to finally start the Nexus. That and the gleep glossary are basically the only WHM shows I don't really listen to cause I'm not a big fan of either priorities.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I tend to like Gleep Glossary because the majority of episodes are about some EU guy you've never heard of and doesn't really matter to the core Star Wars story. It's basically just listening to them riff on some random sci-fi bullshit that just happens to be in the SW universe, but I can understand being uninterested if you just don't care about Star Wars at all.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Iron Crowned posted:

You don't listen to the Nexus‽ What's wrong with you‽

Time constraints and not being much for TOS. I have listened to the "special" episodes for the movies though

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know what you all are talking about. TOS is a great show.

TOS is fine. its fine to like a Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I've never seen a Star Trek episode or know anything about the franchise, but I enjoy Nexus. They make me think about actually watching TNG