Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I hope they at least have Lini and her sayings :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If morgase is in the show, she dies within that same season.

I very much agree, if there is a plot thread you can trim its the adventures of the deposed Queen. Everyone treats her like shes dead, so her being actually dead isn't going to make a big impact imo. She should die at Rahvin's hands and/or you could trim that entire party by having them try to leave but getting caught up in the chaos.

As someone who always thought the characters weren't really creative enough with rules lawyering channeling, I enjoyed the hell out of Androl, but he probably would have been fine never being given POV sequences.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I very much agree, if there is a plot thread you can trim its the adventures of the deposed Queen. Everyone treats her like shes dead, so her being actually dead isn't going to make a big impact imo. She should die at Rahvin's hands and/or you could trim that entire party by having them try to leave but getting caught up in the chaos.

As someone who always thought the characters weren't really creative enough with rules lawyering channeling, I enjoyed the hell out of Androl, but he probably would have been fine never being given POV sequences.

Her being mistreated by Valda is kind of important to Galad's arc, though.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Her being mistreated by Valda is kind of important to Galad's arc, though.

Is it though? Or is it just the memorable cap to that arc? Galad has plenty of righteous indignation about how the whitecloaks are that I'm not sure he really needs the extra motivation to end Valda and take command. There are plenty of other things they could have Valda do or imply that would serve a similar purpose even if it's less personal.

I also really genuinely expect a character like Galad to have a much smaller background role in the show. I'm not sure focusing on that story for him is going to be a choice they'll make given the run time expectations. The idea that we know he's a truly absolute moralist who is able to see a need to adjust a bit for the greater good is an arc that doesn't need a rape/abuse layer to work. Perhaps I'm wrong given the presence of the whitecloaks and Valda in particular in the first season and they do plan on giving them a larger role down the line. In which case, nah i still don't think Morgase needs to exist past the end of FoH really.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 28, 2022

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Given Valda's show characterization so far I'm sure Galad will find something to kill the dude over.

Androl and Pevara's chapters were one of the highlights of the last couple of books, imo. I don't have any other experience with Sanderson, but I'm gathering a lot of the folks that hate Androl have issues with the author in general. There definitely should have been way more Logain PoV's throughout the series though definitely

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I also really genuinely expect a character like Galad to have a much smaller background role in the show.

Pretty much this. Elayne aside, the Andoran Royal family don't have a massive impact.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

But what about Gawyn as a love interest for Egwene? I mean, they got Will Tudor for a nothing character like Barthanes. They certainly don’t seem to be skimping on eye candy for the ladies.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Hexel posted:

But what about Gawyn as a love interest for Egwene? I mean, they got Will Tudor for a nothing character like Barthanes. They certainly don’t seem to be skimping on eye candy for the ladies.

Gawyn for all the hate around him is way more central to a lot of the goings on related to his love interest. He's the leader of the younglings during the revolt and that ties directly into the Salidar split White Tower story. His failures are astounding and epic, but they are also actually important to certain events in way that Galad simply isn't until the end game, where I still feel like the same outcome can be gotten to. His senseless hate for Rand is actually important motivation (as dumb as it is) to get him to those bad outcomes too, and in the show where Egwene and Rand were actual lovers, I think will crank that piece of it to 11 in a good way.

tldr I think Gawyn simply has more to do that matters to the big story pieces than Galad.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

CainsDescendant posted:

Given Valda's show characterization so far I'm sure Galad will find something to kill the dude over.

Androl and Pevara's chapters were one of the highlights of the last couple of books, imo. I don't have any other experience with Sanderson, but I'm gathering a lot of the folks that hate Androl have issues with the author in general. There definitely should have been way more Logain PoV's throughout the series though definitely

The problem with Androl wasn't the characterization, it was the Amazing Gateway Boy shenanigans. He'd have been fine if he was just a weaker Asha'man who was kept around to do scut work the other Asha'man didn't want to do, instead of kept around to do gateways.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Jaxyon posted:

Doesn't seem to have Healing or See Ta'veren or whatever

Dude maxed out his channelling stat but didn't take any feats.

He has a bunch of meta-magic feats to do more pew pew.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Khizan posted:

The problem with Androl wasn't the characterization, it was the Amazing Gateway Boy shenanigans. He'd have been fine if he was just a weaker Asha'man who was kept around to do scut work the other Asha'man didn't want to do, instead of kept around to do gateways.

Dunno why that's a problem though.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Pretty much this. Elayne aside, the Andoran Royal family don't have a massive impact.

And Rand. He's technically in the Andoran Royal family. Just not related by blood to Elayne.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Khizan posted:

Yeah but the Amazing Gateway Boy shenanigans were really cool? Idk I get that it bugs people for some reason but I just really enjoyed it. Seeing that the Ashaman's lack of centuries of tradition and dogma frees them up to experiment with the Power in ways that the Aes Sedai refuse to is really neat, and the fact that it's expressed through a character with a unique Talent is fine to me.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I just wanna see the dragonmount gateway dump loads of lava I can’t remember where.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

opening up gateways to the bottom of the ocean to use as a water jet cutter on armies.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

CainsDescendant posted:

Yeah but the Amazing Gateway Boy shenanigans were really cool? Idk I get that it bugs people for some reason but I just really enjoyed it. Seeing that the Ashaman's lack of centuries of tradition and dogma frees them up to experiment with the Power in ways that the Aes Sedai refuse to is really neat, and the fact that it's expressed through a character with a unique Talent is fine to me.

I'm with you on this one, you aren't alone. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The only downside to the Amazing Gateway Boy shenanigans is that they clearly should have used him to fill in Tha'kandar with lava once the fortifications fell and never did.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

opening a tiny gateway in the outhouse so poop keeps appearing under mhaels bed :twisted:

buffalo all day fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 28, 2022

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
yeah i thought all that poo poo was cool

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

buffalo all day posted:

opening a tiny gateway in the outhouse so poop keeps appearing under mhaels bed :twisted:

Brolander posted:

yeah i thought all that poo poo was cool

these two posts together :discourse:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Google Maps View gateway was like :doh: well of course

course at a certain point you're just doing a Portal mashup and lol that came out in 2007

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I think Morgase and Tallanvor is the best romance in the books. The dutiful, unnoticed soldier admiring from a distance and the troubled, former queen turned simple country woman :unsmith:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I think people don't like Gateway Boy Shenanigans because it smacks of Sanderson's deep interest in playing with the rules of magic systems until it comes to as wild poo poo as possible.

But that was 100% RJ's bag too so I don't see it as a problem. It's one of the reason Sanderson was such a good fit.

Re: Andoran royals

I'm on Book 13 of my reread and I feel like honestly they can both get tossed from the TV show, they just don't matter enough.

Galad does more but you only need him for whenever they get to the Last Battle if you want to redeem the whitecloaks, which you totally do not have to do.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 28, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Meanwhile I'm crawling painstakingly through book 1 again and I just got to the palace garden scene. I'd completely forgotten that Elayne and Gawyn are supposed to be like 16-year-old kids and this should read more like The Magician's Nephew kinds of hijinks than "they are all 20-year-old action figure people" which is how I saw them by the latter books last time through

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Ga brothers did plenty, there's no way they get cut entirely. If the rewrites give them too little to do, they'll cannibalize even more minor characters to keep them around

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

I think people don't like Gateway Boy Shenanigans because it smacks of Sanderson's deep interest in playing with the rules of magic systems until it comes to as wild poo poo as possible.

But that was 100% RJ's bag too so I don't see it as a problem. It's one of the reason Sanderson was such a good fit.

Re: Andoran royals

I'm on Book 13 of my reread and I feel like honestly they can both get tossed from the TV show, they just don't matter enough.

Galad does more but you only need him for whenever they get to the Last Battle if you want to redeem the whitecloaks, which you totally do not have to do.

Yeah the Andoran royals did nothing in the end. You could condense all that poo poo into just, uhh Dyelin and Moiraine's sister or whoever she was for some drama.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Barreft posted:

Yeah the Andoran royals did nothing in the end. You could condense all that poo poo into just, uhh Dyelin and Moiraine's sister or whoever she was for some drama.

i mean, Tigraine's youngest kid was pretty important overall

That said we need gawyn and galad just for the scene where Mat kicks their rear end

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Wasn’t Slayer/Luc an andoran royal somehow?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hexel posted:

Wasn’t Slayer/Luc an andoran royal somehow?

Luc was Tigraine's brother yes.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

That said we need gawyn and galad just for the scene where Mat kicks their rear end

I meant the Caemlyn subplot for Elayne

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Show version:
“Embarrassed by their defeat, Gawyn elects to retire to the Two Rivers, of which he is the biggest fan. Galad is whisked away for healing by a Green Ajah and is never seen again.”

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I mean, Demandred gets his rear end kicked by a farmer too!

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
IMO the problem with Androl is that once you show that the gateway shenanigans are possible it makes you wonder why they aren't used everywhere else. You don't have to be a Magic Gateway Boy to make a gateway to a volcano, or under the ocean, or space. Anyone who can Travel can do that, once they've started appropriately Thinking With Portals.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Too be fair Rand makes like a million shredder gateways, they just didn’t have good imaginations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

bio347 posted:

IMO the problem with Androl is that once you show that the gateway shenanigans are possible it makes you wonder why they aren't used everywhere else. You don't have to be a Magic Gateway Boy to make a gateway to a volcano, or under the ocean, or space. Anyone who can Travel can do that, once they've started appropriately Thinking With Portals.

What do you mean? He goes directly from the black tower, ignored by anyone in power, to the last battle meat grinder. When exactly would there have been a chance for them to be used "everywhere else?" "Everyone else" in this case is like, what, the forsaken? The modern day Aes Sedai DO actually start to innovate with gateways, independently, too, which is shocking, from them.

Also I agree with this post

CainsDescendant posted:

Yeah, it's also a matter of talent, likely, similar to healing. Some people are just Bad At Traveling, some people are virtuosos. None of the POV characters even knew about traveling until halfway through the series, so it's not exactly like we have a long history of "Well, the modern day AS say it's always done like this, and that's that." Aviendha I think actually notes that she's pretty bad at making gateways vs some of the others.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 28, 2022

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

What do you mean? He goes directly from the black tower, ignored by anyone in power, to the last battle meat grinder. When exactly would there have been a chance for them to be used "everywhere else?" "Everyone else" in this case is like, what, the forsaken? The modern day Aes Sedai DO actually start to innovate with gateways, independently, too, which is shocking, from them.
The Dragonmount trick happens before the good guys reconvene at Merrilor for the actual big finale, doesn't it? Elayne puts Androl in a room with Mat and Egwene for five minutes and that's all it takes.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Other channelers aren't so weak in the power that they only thing they can inexplicably do well is make gateways. So they don't need to make cool/creative gateways to kill/teleport people. Exploding a bunch of peoples heads using a bunch of weaves is much faster, more convenient, and more surgical then dropping lava from a volcano over an area.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Gwaihir posted:

Aviendha I think actually notes that she's pretty bad at making gateways vs some of the others.

This is also probably linked to the fact that the first gateway she made was reflexive and she doesn't know how she did it. Meaning the weave she is taught by others is trying to relearn it a different way which we are told does not work as well. It's possible she accidently created a new weave for gateways that has different restrictions on either where they can be opened from or to but we will never know since she can't remember how she did it.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

bio347 posted:

Why is this a problem? It's exactly what would eventually happen. It's like saying the problem with Mat inventing the cannon is that once people know it's possible, they'll iterate on the concept. Just a silly complaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Nihilarian posted:

The Ga brothers

C'mon, the Ga Lads is right there.