Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

OK baizuo posted:

I honestly haven't been able to keep up with the thread this week. What's the real deal as far as being reinfected with BA.2 after a previous omicron infection?

Was sick with covid (pcr+ on the 4th of January), cleared the infection (two negative pcr tests 10 and 11 days later) and feel 99% better, hocking up some crap but that seems to be on the downswing

I'd rather not get sick for two weeks again...

I asked earlier today and it seems to be the sort of thing where it’s too soon to officially say but reinfections are definitely happening weeks after recovering from omicron and it sure seems like it’s BA.1 infections rolling right into BA.2 infections but not enough solid data exists yet to say that, could be BA.1 into BA.1 or idk Delta? So maybe just behave as if you can get immediately reinfected for safety’s sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wild Type vaccines are slightly more effective against BA.2 than they were against BA.1

https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1486821549458001927

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
BA.2 has some kind of a fitness advantage, and I think it has to have significant evasion of antibodies generated by BA.1 infection.

Its growth rate cannot be plausibly be due to a higher basic reproductive number and/or shorter generation time. It has to be reinfecting.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The rich are continuing to deny the essentials of life to the poor. We're lucky in the first world that the best covid vaccines are easily available, while companies gave scraps to South Africa and India. Bill Gates lobbied hard to stop the Global South from getting mRNA vaccines, and has the blood of millions on his hands. Pfizer's slow response to Omicron is exactly what you'd expect if they want to keep letting covid kill old and disabled people forever. And the billionaire class that murdered 20 million people over the last two years has controlled the media so effectively that the debate is "Should we get rid of all covid precautions?" vs "should we get rid of all covid precautions and vaccinate people?" The only sane answer is to eliminate the virus through vaccines, high-quality masks, and paying people to stay home, but the billionaires would rather let us die.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
https://twitter.com/DrSalandyinGA/status/1486126028200333319

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

McNugget Buddy posted:

Wild Type vaccines are slightly more effective against BA.2 than they were against BA.1

Bedford and others predicted this from the structure some time ago, and it’s nice to see that confirmed.

BA.2 isn’t great, but as far as variants capable of causing a surge right after‐BA.1 go, this is arguably the least bad thing we could have seen.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol I didn't know about Microcovid. I plugged in my 20 minute biweekly grocery run in an N95 and it's very high risk. hell yeah

McCracAttack posted:

Cool.

Cool...
lmao plugged in my average day at the office and it's dangerously high risk
nice very nice
thank you number

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"all the rats were dead after being reinfected 11 times"

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Chamale posted:

I called them, they're out of stock. If anyone finds a place that does have Auras in stock, please let me know.
i'm sure this was already posted about but grainger is in stock
https://www.grainger.com/product/3M-Disposable-Respirator-21LP02
Backordered, expected to arrive between Tue. Feb 08 - Tue. Feb 22. and also a bit pricier than normal but so what

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

jetz0r posted:

Most sites are showing a 2 week lead time on auras right now, now that I'm looking closer.
This shows cases in stock, for $550 https://www.industrialsafetyproducts.com/3m-9205-aura-n95-particulate-respirator-niosh-approved/

This is the list of ppe sites I check for masks:
https://www.industrialsafetyproducts.com/
https://www.magidglove.com
https://www.rshughes.com/
https://www.zoro.com/masks-respiratory-protection/c/4451/
https://www.digikey.com/ (mostly half mask level stuff)
https://www.fastenal.com/
https://industrialsafety.com/ (I have canceled an order from here because it was taking too long to ship)
that bittersweet moment when i see that all those links are marked as 'already visited' for me

lmao

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

platzapS posted:

this seems like ages ago

WAP was released before the vaccines

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

rshughes knows whats up :getin:

Morbus
May 18, 2004

McNugget Buddy posted:

https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1486821549458001927

im the negative 26% VE vs. BA.2 on the rear end end of the 95% CI lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mild VEI

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Tzen posted:

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Morbus posted:

im the negative 26% VE vs. BA.2 on the rear end end of the 95% CI lol

Haha gently caress good catch, double checked the linked doc and it's not a typo.

Knowing the demographics of the population sample that made up the negative range would be.. very valuable to say the least..

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

:v: "It's a living!"

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tzen posted:

RSHughes hosed up my order but they eventually made it right and were very nice on the phone for a small fry customer such as myself

Glad i bought auras from them when they were 97 cents :smuggo:

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Isizzlehorn posted:

Haha gently caress good catch, double checked the linked doc and it's not a typo.

Knowing the demographics of the population sample that made up the negative range would be.. very valuable to say the least..

I mean, when a vaccine has low efficacy, it's inevitable that, for purely statistical reasons, your confidence interval will dip into the negatives. Like, if your actual VE is exactly zero, your CI ought to extend equally into the negative and positive. Since the mean VE for BA.2 in the 25+ wk cohort is notably lovely, it makes sense that if your CI is that broad (66 pt span lol), a lot of it will be in the negatives. So I don't think it should be taken as evidence for ADE or anything spicy like that.

Still funny though, lol

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

:hai: lol

Strep Vote posted:

Also rename mastershakesman to shittytakesman
lmao

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

OK baizuo posted:

RSHughes hosed up my order but they eventually made it right and were very nice on the phone for a small fry customer such as myself

Glad i bought auras from them when they were 97 cents :smuggo:
good on them
i see they're still offering the blue strapped auras for $1, not bad

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Suddenly seems a whole lot less paranoid than it did four months ago.

Haha don't feel bad PFC. I remember the goon who posted here with their filters on at completely mismatched angles. It takes some time to get used to it; imagine if the pandemic had been running for two years or something. Then maybe you could advocate for everyone to wear respirators since they would have plenty of time to learn how.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Isizzlehorn posted:

The negative figures have popped up for double-vaxxed in multiple studies

I remember after the first one came out, it was handwaved away as an anomaly because "people with only 2 doses must be behaving differently" or whatever

If it's not ADE then...what the hell is making them more susceptible to infection?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Aww, Australia only hit 98 deaths. The first three figure death day will have to wait. (until tomorrow probably)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

McNugget Buddy posted:

Lol I remember that. We have some wild years ahead of us. I despair for the future of our children

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Platystemon posted:

Bedford and others predicted this from the structure some time ago, and it’s nice to see that confirmed.

BA.2 isn’t great, but as far as variants capable of causing a surge right after‐BA.1 go, this is arguably the least bad thing we could have seen.

We still don't even know how bad BA.1 is yet. The wave has not washed over us. We have not felt the aftershocks. We have no idea what Omicron has in store for us.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
You know... it's been three years of the pandemic, and still no one recognizes the mexican movie about a pandemic that pretty much predicted it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzWKoYZltbE

"It's a new form of immortality, since they are not officcialy dead"

"We're just the Fourth Power. If those above us are in accordance, there's little we can do. A News like this is so big it gets out of our hands"

Or just ignore it because it's not english language. Do as you will. Just wanted to post it. Thought some of you would appreciate it.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Aww, Australia only hit 98 deaths.

can we not

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Blackhawk posted:

You know I've worked using and handling dangerous chemicals that produce either toxic gasses/aerosols or flammable gasses and explosive atmospheres. When working in these conditions there's no question about the level of PPE required for employees by law, in most cases a full face respirator would be a minimum, but in a few cases where I used to work we also had PAPR hoods with belt-mounted filters and supplied air respirators from hoses and a central air supply.

Hell even in cases where you're frequently exposed to irritating dust, like if you were doing a lot of sanding or abrasive cutting or something, you'd be at least required to wear a disposable N95 mask. And in all cases your company is legally required to provide these things to you, and is legally liable for forcing you to use them.

All of this appears to go completely out the window when the hazard you're exposed to is viral rather than chemical or physical though, despite your exposure to the hazard being a direct result of your working conditions (e.g. being made to go into an office to work in close contact with others during a pandemic). Makes me wonder how we ever got semi-effective workplace health and safety laws in the first place.

Morbus posted:

Actually these standards were widely and routinely followed for viral hazards in workplaces until SARS-CoV-2, lmao

Blackhawk posted:

https://www.cdc.gov/sars/guidance/f-lab/app5.html

So according to the CDC, for me to propagate SARS-CoV-2 in a cell culture, I would need to be in a BSL-3 level lab, I'd need to wear at least an N95 or PAPR hood and the culture should be held in an appropriate physical containment device (like a centrifuge cup). Additionally I should be doing it in biological safety cabinet, or if not I should be wearing gloves, a gown and eye protection.

So there you have it, that's what the CDC would recommend for being near SARS-CoV-2 propagating in a cell culture. Now if you were to replace 'cell culture' with 'co-worker' the recommendation would be a cut-up t-shirt strapped to your face unless you're holding a coffee cup in which case it's fine, just wash your hands.

Blackhawk posted:

Like imagine you're somebody working in a viral research lab. BSL-3, so the same kind of safety protocols as TB, SARS-1, MERS, yellow fever, west nile etc. You're holding a small plastic vial containing a gram of cell material with a SARS-CoV-2 infection. You're wearing a PAPR hood and gloves, and you're handling the vial inside a biological safety cabinet with powerful extraction fans and HEPA filters. This is a picture of you doing your work:

Now you walk outside of the lab, take all of that stuff off in the ante-chamber, go sit down at your office desk wearing a surgical or cloth mask, sitting in an office where chances are almost certain that somebody nearby is infected with that same virus but this time they're constantly spewing out aerosol droplets full of virions.

I don't understand how you could do that daily and not suffer brain damage from the mental whiplash.
having a nice big :rubby: at all of this after having spent 5 hours in a crowded office setting where most folks were maskless because they were at their desk or drinking coffee or whatever dumb loving rules lawyering they were doing
based secure click save me

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

The Oldest Man posted:

Looks like cope's back on the menu boys

:thunkgun:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

There’s a National blood shortage due to the pandemic

get a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts for donating

blood for donuts
giving me early 2021 flashbacks when they offered free donuts if you got vaccinated
Krispy Kreme has done more to promote public health than the CDC lmao

Morbus
May 18, 2004

McNugget Buddy posted:

So I'm not 100% sure about which particular study this factoid is referencing. But I'm pretty sure it's this one:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC2787736/

They serially passaged SARS-CoV1 through mice for which the virus is not lethal. This produced mouse-adapted strains that were increasingly virulent. Eventually, a highly lethal strain was produced that killed all the mice who were infected with an inoculum size that produced zero deaths in the original strain.

So the result wasn't that "serial reinfection with the same relatively non-lethal SARS-CoV eventually kills all the mice", it was that "if you keep loving around, you may eventually produce a very lethal strain"

idk maybe I'm wrong, but I think the whole "all the mice dead after X infections" is a misinterpretation / gradual distortion of this paper.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Oldest Man posted:

Looks like cope's back on the menu boys

People sure get paid to have opinions, huh

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

*28 variants later*

HYPERimmunity is now the word to embrace

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Morbus posted:

So I'm not 100% sure about which particular study this factoid is referencing. But I'm pretty sure it's this one:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC2787736/

They serially passaged SARS-CoV1 through mice for which the virus is not lethal. This produced mouse-adapted strains that were increasingly virulent. Eventually, a highly lethal strain was produced that killed all the mice who were infected with an inoculum size that produced zero deaths in the original strain.

So the result wasn't that "serial reinfection with the same relatively non-lethal SARS-CoV eventually kills all the mice", it was that "if you keep loving around, you may eventually produce a very lethal strain"

idk maybe I'm wrong, but I think the whole "all the mice dead after X infections" is a misinterpretation / gradual distortion of this paper.

Are you sure that the virus didn't instead mutate to become MILD and the mice stopped dying at all? That seems more likely

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

That lil rona looks like it’s flipping double birds

In 2020 I read an article about gig body movers and they were getting paid $75 an hour. It was during the peak of no one knowing where to stack all the bodies so they were getting shoved in supply closets and going too long without refrigeration and there was either a body bag shortage or they got substandard bags because leaks were a huge problem and working body removal was akin to trying to hoist a bag of two mini fridges onto a shelf while on a slip n slide made of corpse juices.

This sounds ideal tbh

I wouldn't mind this for $75 an hour tbh. Beats being an EMT because at least if they're already dead I can't gently caress things up any worse

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Steve Yun posted:

There’s a National blood shortage due to the pandemic

get a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts for donating

blood for donuts

This is not showing a lot of respect for my blood sugar but sure I'll consider lying to a nurse about being gay to get a big box of donuts.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Are you sure that the virus didn't instead mutate to become MILD and the mice stopped dying at all? That seems more likely

You're right. Clearly the problem is that the mice were unvaxxed

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Super Immunity II Turbo HD Remix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Hashy posted:

This one is actually sending me insane. Health messaging has decoupled from reality. I need someone to explain what he might be talking about when he says "herd immunity is not synonymous with stopping the disease from spreading" before my skull opens up and shoots my brain matter into the air from the pressure of it all

yes can we please stop causing each other psychic damage by posting every goddamn gibberish brained Twitter take. having to parse what the fuuuuuuck anyone is saying and then. grade it on a scale of how insane it is is horribly exhausting.