Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

canyoneer posted:

You: uses inexpensive and/or improvised platforms to hold your workpieces at a comfortable and safe height
Me, an intellectual: squatting on the ground like Gollum with a circular saw

Heh, sounds familiar. Also have used truck tailgates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Calidus posted:

I am going launch my framing square into the sun. Why does this thing have 10th of inch on one side? Who the uses 10th of an inch? I know 1000th is used in manufacturing but who is using 10th of inch.

Mine has 12ths, which is apparently a thing for framing or roofing or something. Mine's the fence for a table saw miter sled, so it's definitely useless.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I bought a cheap air compressor to just do tires and blow-up dolls mattresses. It does up to 120 psi so why not. The unit has a short hose ending in what I assumed was a male quick connect. The included spiral hose has a female quick connect, and ends in a tire valve chuck. I also want to use this thing through a blow gun, so I picked up a 20-piece starter kit where most of the fittings are 1/4", and includes what I thought was (and looks like?) a quick connect to 1/4" coupler (in the product shot it's the two bigger yellow cylinders).

Except I can't put the compressor's quick connect male into the kit's quick connect to 1/4" coupler. It just won't fit. Also I haven't put away my Christmas lights but at least they're down, right?

Here's a male quick connect from the kit (which fits into the coupler), compared to the compressor's quick connect.

OK, they're different. So what the hell type of quick connect is on the compressor, and how do I get it to 1/4"?

epswing fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 28, 2022

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
1/4" NPT seems to be what's on the left of your bottom most picture.

I don't know if this helps you in any way.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Size aside, those are 2 different styles of QD. There's a million different styles of quick disconnect, unfortunately.

McMaster gives you a quick reference for which kind is which. Looks like your hose on the right is either a Ring-lock or Japanese (or some nonstandard goofy nonsense), and your fitting on the left is either Industrial (most common) or European.

e: https://www.mcmaster.com/quick%20disconnect/

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

more falafel please posted:

Mine has 12ths, which is apparently a thing for framing or roofing or something. Mine's the fence for a table saw miter sled, so it's definitely useless.

12's is definitely framing roof pitch rise/run. I've no idea what 10's is.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mr. Mambold posted:

12's is definitely framing roof pitch rise/run. I've no idea what 10's is.

for measuring dongs, obvi

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Ok Comboomer posted:

for measuring dongs, obvi

He's talking inches though. Not millimetres.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

HolHorsejob posted:

Size aside, those are 2 different styles of QD. There's a million different styles of quick disconnect, unfortunately.

McMaster gives you a quick reference for which kind is which. Looks like your hose on the right is either a Ring-lock or Japanese (or some nonstandard goofy nonsense), and your fitting on the left is either Industrial (most common) or European.

e: https://www.mcmaster.com/quick%20disconnect/

Ugh, thanks. Same manufacturer purchased from the same store with similar wording but they don’t fit, that’s frustrating.

So if I stick with NPT I’m mostly safe then?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

epswing posted:

Ugh, thanks. Same manufacturer purchased from the same store with similar wording but they don’t fit, that’s frustrating.

You could (and I would), just cut that weird adapter off those hose and put my own, standard quick connect on there.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I bought this DeWalt portable workbench a while ago and haven’t had to bust out the sawhorses or miter stand nearly as much since. It’s pretty strong despite the plastic top and can hold a half ton.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-33-in-Folding-Portable-Workbench-DWST11556/301867227

Goes on sale for ~$70 once in a while

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

B-Nasty posted:

You could (and I would), just cut that weird adapter off those hose and put my own, standard quick connect on there.

I hadn't even considered that. This is definitely what I want. How do I do this, and can I use something in that starter kit to do it, or do I need some specialized tool?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

epswing posted:

Make sure you realize that NPT fittings seal on the threads, so you need PTFE tape on every threaded connection.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

epswing posted:

I hadn't even considered that. This is definitely what I want. How do I do this, and can I use something in that starter kit to do it, or do I need some specialized tool?

You're missing one part in that kit. You need to adapt the (cut) hose end to a 1/4 male NPT, which then screws into (w/ teflon tape) the female QC fitting. Typically, on the compressor end, you put female QC, and then all the tools use the male QC. An extension hose would have a male QC on one end, and a female QC on the other. The female end is used on the compressor side, because it doesn't leak air without something connected - this doesn't matter as much without a tank connected.

This part is called a 1/4 NPT to barb fitting e.g. https://www.amazon.com/SUNGATOR-12-Pack-Fittings-Adapter-Threaded/dp/B07TT6P4TB You'll need to know the ID of your hose to get the right one, plus a hose clamp. Harbor Freight usually has these kinds of things where you could maybe bring a piece of the hose to check.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Calidus posted:

I am going launch my framing square into the sun. Why does this thing have 10th of inch on one side? Who the uses 10th of an inch? I know 1000th is used in manufacturing but who is using 10th of inch.

10ths of an inch is very much an engineers thing. Why it's on a framing square, I have no idea. It wouldn't surprise me if at some point in the past, someone like the ASCE or the writers or adopters of the UBI started trying to move away from 8ths to 10ths and it ended up not going anywhere (just like moving toward the SI system)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
An engineer's scale shows tenths of an inch for use with civil drawings at scales of 1 inch = 10^x feet.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
It's more than just that, though. I do all of my calculations in 10ths of imperial units (which are stupid and we shouldn't use them anymore) and if I absolutely have to, I will convert back to feet and inches at the end. I don't work with any other engineers who do it any other way.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Might be on a framing square to allow it to also be used for measuring stuff on site plans.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i love my oscillating multi tool thank you thread

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

The Saucer Hovers posted:

Mine doesn’t get a ton of use but the times I’ve needed it, it’s proved to be one of the handiest things ever made.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

B-Nasty posted:

You're missing one part in that kit. You need to adapt the (cut) hose end to a 1/4 male NPT, which then screws into (w/ teflon tape) the female QC fitting. Typically, on the compressor end, you put female QC, and then all the tools use the male QC. An extension hose would have a male QC on one end, and a female QC on the other. The female end is used on the compressor side, because it doesn't leak air without something connected - this doesn't matter as much without a tank connected.

This part is called a 1/4 NPT to barb fitting e.g. https://www.amazon.com/SUNGATOR-12-Pack-Fittings-Adapter-Threaded/dp/B07TT6P4TB You'll need to know the ID of your hose to get the right one, plus a hose clamp. Harbor Freight usually has these kinds of things where you could maybe bring a piece of the hose to check.

I wonder how the hose attaches to the compressor. He might be able to just replace the entire hose assembly too.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

The Saucer Hovers posted:

Yeah and I just remembered that I have a Ryobi one and it'll probably make tearing down plasterboards super easy by just cutting them out instead of hammering them down or trying to remove the nails first. I hope it works as well as it does in my mind.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Xenix posted:

It's more than just that, though. I do all of my calculations in 10ths of imperial units (which are stupid and we shouldn't use them anymore) and if I absolutely have to, I will convert back to feet and inches at the end. I don't work with any other engineers who do it any other way.

They had their place when computers were the size of rooms. Stopwatches that counted in hundredths of a minute used to be available for similar reasons.

Now we can and should make software handle the fractions.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Sgt Fox posted:

I wonder how the hose attaches to the compressor. He might be able to just replace the entire hose assembly too.

I haven’t cut the tubing off yet but it looks/feels like a hex nut.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Platystemon posted:

They had their place when computers were the size of rooms. Stopwatches that counted in hundredths of a minute used to be available for similar reasons.

Now we can and should make software handle the fractions.

I'm sure there's already something to convert your chains and links to feet and inches with no issues.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Where can I find something that will convert cubits to rods and hogsheads?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

http://www.kylesconverter.com/length/cubits-to-rods

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

epswing posted:

I haven’t cut the tubing off yet but it looks/feels like a hex nut.

I'm not sure I'd mess with that end. You *may* be able to adapt it, but there's a non-zero chance you damage something that would destroy the inflator.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Well I'll be.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Anyone have recommendations for casters? There expensive stuff, and random cheap stuff from Amazon/eBay.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
No idea what the selection is on Amazon, but even when I go to the big box there's a ton of options, but at least the display there sort of compares them. Different weight limits, some can get wet, some can handle chemicals, etc. So probably a lot depends on what you're looking for in a caster.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Calidus posted:

Anyone have recommendations for casters? There expensive stuff, and random cheap stuff from Amazon/eBay.

Buy good casters. I bought a set from Service Caster I'm very happy with. The ability to properly sort and buy exactly what you need is pretty nice.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This is a good summary:

https://www.mcmaster.com/casters/

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My experience with casters and wheels is that you get what you pay for. Put another way, beware the cheap ones, you'll save money but you'll do a lot more swearing.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I buy all my casters at the hab-for-hume restore. Can get some drat nice ones there for like $3 a piece. Big ol' industrial ones too.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Calidus posted:

What kind of weight are you looking to support with them?

I needed heavy duty casters for my 600 pound stove and ordered from https://www.castercity.com/ and while the ones I went with were expensive at $25 a pop, they're each rated for 300 pounds and worked a treat.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I've found used industrial casters on eBay. Colson ball bearing, grease-able, 1500# rating, etc, for like $25

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I was thinking about putting some on a plywood tool chest. Figured I should ask around before I bought random junk from the internet.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

SpartanIvy posted:

What kind of weight are you looking to support with them?

I needed heavy duty casters for my 600 pound stove and ordered from https://www.castercity.com/ and while the ones I went with were expensive at $25 a pop, they're each rated for 300 pounds and worked a treat.

I put 4 rated at 175# each on my ~ 600# planer, but drat I'm more interested in a stove on casters?

Or maybe 150, I gorfet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Mr. Mambold posted:

I put 4 rated at 175# each on my ~ 600# planer, but drat I'm more interested in a stove on casters?

Or maybe 150, I gorfet

It's a game changer. All large appliances should be on casters imo. Drop something that rolled under it? No problem. Just pop the front wheel locks and roll the whole appliance out. Makes cleaning easy peasy too.

I chose crazy strong casters for the stove because we had to push it from my garage where I restored it to around the side of the house, up a ramp, and over a door threshold and I wanted to make sure a single pair of casters wasn't going to catastrophically fail while it was tilted and pushed around.