Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

age was the most ambitious gundam series since seed and its failure is probably part of the reason they were more cautious with g-reco and ibo and why they pivoted to spinoff uc stuff/more blatant toy commercials for a few years there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

age was the most ambitious gundam series since seed and its failure is probably part of the reason they were more cautious with g-reco and ibo and why they pivoted to spinoff uc stuff/more blatant toy commercials for a few years there

How, exactly, are we defining 'ambitious' here? Not seeing the obvious distinction in ambition between IBO and AGE.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm back from giving fantasy bishoujo a shot after hearing it was a husband/wife writer team and this show is funny as gently caress and the VAs are really going for it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

How, exactly, are we defining 'ambitious' here? Not seeing the obvious distinction in ambition between IBO and AGE.

a level-5 crossover with the conceit being a story that spans three generations of a family

there's definitely ambition to that

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I think IBO was less ambitious in merchandising, at least in Japan, because it didn't have the tons of extra toylines, the mega scale model, the instant MGs, or the tie-in game. It also only launched with one season locked in, while Age started with a full fifty episodes guaranteed, showing a bit more restraint.

(On the other hand, IBO did have a much bigger international push, even early on, so there's some advantage on its end in terms of ambitions.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, Level 5 tends not to do things in half measures. If they make something, they're GOING to try to make a huge franchise of it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The secondhand, passed around, take it with a grain of salt story I've heard is that Level 5 pitched a Gundam videogame, got the go-ahead, and then promised they could move mountains if they were also allowed to to also make an anime to go alongside it. Given at that point the company was trundling along with Inazuma Eleven it probably seemed like a safe bet. It failed, but it probably made sense at the time. And heck, to prove that point even more the same year they were doing Gundam AGE they did Danball Senki, which was a vastly superior Mecha series.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, Level 5 tends not to do things in half measures. If they make something, they're GOING to try to make a huge franchise of it.

Not Dark Cloud :negative:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

tie-in video games, a more heavily pushed toyline (age got a ton of random one-off grunt mechs made into toys before they were even in the show and its own new scale of gunpla), etc. basically what chiasaur said.

ibo only committed to toys of the main mechs and a couple grunts, didn't get any MGs right away instead doing a handful of 1/100s, only locked in a s1, etc. you can see this if you look at the toylines, a lot of the secondary s1 mechs in ibo only got gunpla while s2 was airing. age was definitely an all-in for sunrise and level-5.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Oh right the guy in dorohedoro is big mushroom fan forgot about that

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

tie-in video games, a more heavily pushed toyline (age got a ton of random one-off grunt mechs made into toys before they were even in the show and its own new scale of gunpla), etc. basically what chiasaur said.

ibo only committed to toys of the main mechs and a couple grunts, didn't get any MGs right away instead doing a handful of 1/100s, only locked in a s1, etc. you can see this if you look at the toylines, a lot of the secondary s1 mechs in ibo only got gunpla while s2 was airing. age was definitely an all-in for sunrise and level-5.

Not a lot. IBO got HG kits for all but two of the mechs in season 1 (with one of the missing kits handled in season 2's line), although some of the color variants were P-Bandai. Season 2 added a few more (the Gilda, the Garm Rodi, the Hloekk Graze), but it's one of the better covered series overall. Sticking to Age, the first arc alone is missing the Desperado, the gala, the Zila, the Elmeda, the Xeno, and the Defurse as kits.)

Much as I would like a Spinner Rodi, I don't think that was a sign of a lack of faith. (Note that there still isn't a kit for the Alvaaron from 00). It's just that Age's launch was insane.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the lack of spinner rodi is absolutely a sign of a lack of faith and i will not stand for this

EDIT: For real though, part of this is that IBO S1 had way fewer mechs than AGE Gen 1.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Is there any information on Mercury Witch except for the cool name?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

no.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Not a lick. We know nothing about it. We don't know what continuity it's set in (good shot it's a new one though), we don't have character or mechanical design pics much less any information on the main Gundam, and as far as I know we don't even have any production credits on the show yet. Today it's just that title graphic and a confirmation it would be airing on television. The big recent exciting news was that it officially had a timeslot, and there is not a crumb more than that.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

If the Mercury Witch is metaphorical I will be greatly disappointed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's no rule that says metaphorical witches can't wear big witch hats.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

kater posted:

Oh right the guy in dorohedoro is big mushroom fan forgot about that
Aaaaagh I need a season two so baaaaaad

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's no rule that says metaphorical witches can't wear big witch hats.

The real question, though.

Will the pilot wear a big witch hat?

Or the gundam?!?!

Obviously both

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe itll have a female protagonist *fifteen minutes of laughter, unskippable*

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think it's very likely that it's not UC, at least. UC doesn't really make much todo about other planets, so a reference to Mercury would be weird.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there hasnt been a tv uc series since victory unless you wanna count g-reco/turn-a or the tv edit of unicorn. so its definitely an au.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uc has colonies, so they don't need to muck about with hostile environments like mercury.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, that too, UC seems mostly content in movies and OVAs right now.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

the lack of spinner rodi is absolutely a sign of a lack of faith and i will not stand for this

EDIT: For real though, part of this is that IBO S1 had way fewer mechs than AGE Gen 1.

Looking at kit counts, IBO had 18 HG kits released for the first season, out of 20 designs. (Well, depending how you count Graze recolors).

AGE had 9 HGs released for Gen 1 before the first Gen 2 kit came out in January 2012, the same month as Asemu showed up on TV. The show, meanwhile, had 20 designs, the same as season 1 of IBO.

In other words, IBO had a much better throughput.

(Sorry about all this, everyone. I was just curious about the data for this bit, so I started doing some research.)

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

uc has colonies, so they don't need to muck about with hostile environments like mercury.

PD has colonies and terraformed planets. No reason to eliminate options.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man, Marin from Dress up Darling is a wholesome girl.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Man, Marin from Dress up Darling is a wholesome girl.

Dress up Darling is a wholesome show!!!

A bit weird how in this latest episode they went with ~hopeful inspiring music~ for the scene where Gojo decides to crunch himself nearly to death out of a desperate need to feel useful, but I'm not gonna look a cosplaying horse in the mouth

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

The difference between Age and IBO was that Age was an attempt to market gundam to an entirely new generation of kids for whom the mecha genre was old fashioned to the point of being the dad-rock of anime. After its failure, IBO instead marketed to the core Gundam demographic of Fujoshi

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Triggerhappypilot posted:

The difference between Age and IBO was that Age was an attempt to market gundam to an entirely new generation of kids for whom the mecha genre was old fashioned to the point of being the dad-rock of anime. After its failure, IBO instead marketed to the core Gundam demographic of Fujoshi

they should've tried harder

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

u will get one (1) gay crush that goes unacknowledged by one side for 95% of the series and like it

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

u will get one (1) gay crush that goes unacknowledged by one side for 95% of the series and like it

You will get one gay crush who dies and like it

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Fujos are bloodthirsty so this seems more on target for the demo

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

what would actually improve the angle is more mcgillis/gaelio/ein content or similar

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

SexyBlindfold posted:

A bit weird how in this latest episode they went with ~hopeful inspiring music~ for the scene where Gojo decides to crunch himself nearly to death out of a desperate need to feel useful, but I'm not gonna look a cosplaying horse in the mouth

In all fairness, this will be the only time that Gojo truly crunches himself to the limit. The next time he tries it (which won't be in this season) he'll finally learn that he can ask other people for help.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Erg posted:

Yes we all know about Charma

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SexyBlindfold posted:

Having done a bunch of amateur costume-making myself in the distant past I have to say that the scene where he very nearly convinced himself that there was no way he could complete the costume by the deadline and just lay in bed slowly giving in to exhaustion and despair and questioning himself over and over was super relatable and super accurate. :v:

Supremezero posted:

The real question, though.

Will the pilot wear a big witch hat?

Or the gundam?!?!

Obviously both

Only if it launches from a space station which is also shaped like a giant hat

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Weird that Hinata just keeps having gender thoughts when drunk in Fantasy Knockout!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Erg posted:

yeah it owns

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It'd be nice if we got a new AU Gundam. Seems like last couple of years we've only gotten UC content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The time is ripe and the people are ready for Frozen Teardrop.