Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I mean, particulates are particulates, don't breathe 'em in regardless of what they are if you can avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

I've taken to wearing it just when working with household chemicals because hey I don't have to smell them anymore

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Yooper posted:

I've got an air sampler and extra cartridges, the next time I do a big air brushing project I'll wear it and run the numbers for exposure to particulates.

I'm interested in seeing the results from this. I had a similar idea; I've got particulate matter and VOC sensors I wanted to hook up in my spray booth just as a little electronics side-project. I'd like to do a similar thing with the 3D printer enclosure I plan on building someday.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Childhood is when you smell weird substances just to prove how tough you are.
Adulthood is when you realize that life already provides more toxic poo poo than is reasonably needed.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the paradigm shift posted:

I've taken to wearing it just when working with household chemicals because hey I don't have to smell them anymore

cleaning the litterbox is way easier this way lol

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Casyl posted:

I'm interested in seeing the results from this. I had a similar idea; I've got particulate matter and VOC sensors I wanted to hook up in my spray booth just as a little electronics side-project. I'd like to do a similar thing with the 3D printer enclosure I plan on building someday.

The tough part will be to spray long enough to get 8 hour weighted results. Best results are at 8 hours, below 4 hours and the accuracy suffers. I'd have to do a 1/16 scale airplane or something. Maybe I'll line up some kits for a 2 hour dash.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The very suggestion of a 1/16 plane terrifies me. I'm sure there's crazier stuff out there, but that's squarely outside of anything I'd ever want to inflict on myself.

lordlimpet
Apr 9, 2005
that one in the corner
Fun Shoe
I've recently moved to Australia (ACT) from the UK. Can anyone recommend any online shops for paint and tools as well as models? I am at a bit of a loss at the moment as regards the quality of different retailers.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

lordlimpet posted:

I've recently moved to Australia (ACT) from the UK. Can anyone recommend any online shops for paint and tools as well as models? I am at a bit of a loss at the moment as regards the quality of different retailers.

Not Australian, but as far as I know the big daddy of model shops there is BNA Model World. I've actually ordered from them to ship over here to Canada, because they've often got better prices and shipping than local stores here.

Edit: And someone's given me a... gangtgag, or just emojis? Maybe it means I'm a real hep cat that makes mindblowing stuff, or that the glue fumes have started to effect my brain. Either interpretation would fit.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 27, 2022

lordlimpet
Apr 9, 2005
that one in the corner
Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Not Australian, but as far as I know the big daddy of model shops there is BNA Model World. I've actually ordered from them to ship over here to Canada, because they've often got better prices and shipping than local stores here.

Edit: And someone's given me a... gangtgag, or just emojis? Maybe it means I'm a real hep cat that makes mindblowing stuff, or that the glue fumes have started to effect my brain. Either interpretation would fit.

They have a great selection, thank you very much

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

lordlimpet posted:

I'll second bna. I'm in sydney and tend to get my kits from a place in Blacktown but all of my paints and detail sets come from bna. They'll ship paints and stuff as well and are the only way of getting zero paints in Australia.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I've ordered decals from BNA to the UK and can recommend their service!

I don't know if anyone else listens to the On The Bench scale modelling podcast, but they're all based in Melbourne and apparently there's around a dozen thriving brick & mortar hobby shops within Melbourne alone! I can't even imagine that, my mind is blown.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

tidal wave emulator posted:

I've ordered decals from BNA to the UK and can recommend their service!

I don't know if anyone else listens to the On The Bench scale modelling podcast, but they're all based in Melbourne and apparently there's around a dozen thriving brick & mortar hobby shops within Melbourne alone! I can't even imagine that, my mind is blown.

Melbourne has a heap as does Sydney but they're both rather large places that can support that sort of stuff. Most of them tend to cater to one type of specialization as well so theres quite a few that just do military models or scale trains or rc stuff. The one I go to by far specializes in cars both diecast and kits.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I’ve used both metro hobbies and Hearns hobbies in Melbourne. Store staff at metro have always been super nice. Haven’t physically been to hearns. Their online store is a bit annoying with all the popups but range and prices are decent.

For kits that are hard to get I used to travel to Japan and buy whatever in person, but these days hlj is fine, just not as cheap as it used to be.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Granite Octopus posted:

I’ve used both metro hobbies and Hearns hobbies in Melbourne. Store staff at metro have always been super nice. Haven’t physically been to hearns. Their online store is a bit annoying with all the popups but range and prices are decent.

For kits that are hard to get I used to travel to Japan and buy whatever in person, but these days hlj is fine, just not as cheap as it used to be.

Metro in particular has a great range of paints. And yeah, the staff are great.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I used to use hobby search a lot but between the gst being added to both the item and postage and them not stocking anything tamiya any more I gave up.

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Granite Octopus posted:

I’ve ordered from Metro for delivery to Sydney and it was a good experience.

For brick & mortar in Sydney I go to Hobbyco, mainly because they have stores close to home and work. Their delivery is processed through a third party warehouse though and it takes way too long, even just to deliver from one side of Sydney to another.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

upsidedown posted:

I’ve ordered from Metro for delivery to Sydney and it was a good experience.

For brick & mortar in Sydney I go to Hobbyco, mainly because they have stores close to home and work. Their delivery is processed through a third party warehouse though and it takes way too long, even just to deliver from one side of Sydney to another.

You should take yourself out to sherrifs mini cars at kings park. A new owner has just taken over after the founders of the store retired but its floor to ceiling rare model kits. Their selection of tamiya paints is also generally well stocked.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

lordlimpet posted:

Frontline Hobbies in Sydney is another sizable store and webstore.

Otherwise in Adelaide I've been to Hobby Habit Melrose Park, Military Hobbies (no webstore), and apparently Adelaide Model World (site under construction) is good but it's a bit further away.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I picked up an older version of the Paasche HSSB-22-16 used for $100 a while back and I really like it. I installed a tiltable 18" under-cabinet LED bar with 3 color temperature settings and drilled holes to put 3 all-thread rods about 1" below the top to hang items from to dry.

https://www.amazon.com/Paasche-HSSB-22-16-Hobby-22-Inch-18-Inch/dp/B0038DANR6/

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I made a 1:48 Beaufighter from Tamiya. I love the Beaufighter's straightforward, pugilistic look and my grandfather flew the aircraft in the Burma theatre; this is painted to look like one of the aircraft he flew. I haven't done any scale modelling since I was a kid, so this was a great chance to rediscover the hobby. A modeller friend helped with advice and supplies. I'm really happy with how it turned out- the weathering is subtle but it was a lot of fun adding streaking and soot here and there.

My Grandfather's aircraft after a nasty flak hit. I could see from the photos it was 'U for Uncle' and the serial numbers started with KW. I went to the RAF archives and found the squadron's daily log book and found the entry that mentioned the sortie and aircraft flown. My friend had a sheet of RAF markings so I could make the custom KW401. We didn't have a white U, so I cut the top off a grey O and used it as a mask.

Guess I'm into building scale models again...

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Nice work! That's a v similar process I followed when researching my grandad's Mosquito I built from the Tamiya kit. As there weren't any existing photographs of it I had to just guess at what colour the prop spinners were, as his squadron all seemed to have different colours for each aircraft and there were no references to his specifically.

It was interesting reading several months of record books and following their various anti-shipping missions, seeing when they got damaged by flak and then having to switch out to other aircraft while theirs got repaired etc.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

poo poo, I wish my first model since I was a kid looked that good.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I'd rather be a double-poster than a fascist.

The hardest part of this paint job was fighting my camera. Absolute nghtmare set of histograms.

This is the 1/48th Curtiss RC3 from Fine Molds. The kit's not quite perfect, but it's got mostly great fit for something almost 20 years old. There's only a few dozen parts in the whole thing, which was lovely. I'm really looking forward to getting around to the other planes of theirs I've got in the backlog, someday.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Model railroad goons: I've always loved steam engines in general and locomotives in particular and lately the model railroad bug has bitten pretty bad. The thing is, I live in an apartment and simply do not have the space for another large display piece that has to sit on a table: one complete and one progressing wooden ship build do a fantastic job of being beautiful and prohibitively big.

So what I was toying around with was creating a shadowbox with some sort treadmill sort of deal to allow the locomotive to run along and building a motorized backdrop to slowly scroll past (and possibly some sort of light strip above to simulate the passing of the sun). And maybe a small motorized strip of turf in the foreground to give an extra sense of motion. This, especially at a smaller gauge, I could hang on a wall and turn on when I wanted to see a train trundling along.

My questions are: Is there a kind of treadmill or roller system that would allow an engine to putter along in place? And has anything like this been done before?

Fearless fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 31, 2022

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Fearless posted:

Model railroad goons: I've always loved steam engines in general and locomotives in particular and lately the model railroad bug has bitten pretty bad. The thing is, I live in an apartment and simply do not have the space for another large display piece that has to sit on a table: one complete and one progressing wooden ship build do a fantastic job of being beautiful and prohibitively big.

So what I was toying around with was creating a shadowbox with some sort treadmill sort of deal to allow the locomotive to run along and building a motorized backdrop to slowly scroll past (and possibly some sort of light strip above to simulate the passing of the sun). And maybe a small motorized strip of turf in the foreground to give an extra sense of motion. This, especially at a smaller gauge, I could hang on a wall and turn on when I wanted to see a train trundling along.

My questions are: Is there a kind of treadmill or roller system that would allow an engine to putter along in place? And has anything like this been done before?

What I've seen before on Japanese twitter and infuriatingly can't find now are mini dioramas with a circular loop of track around them, mounted on a turntable that's set to spin in the opposite direction of the train so it effectively runs on the spot while the diorama moves around it. Not quite wall mountable but shelf friendly at least.

Edit: Found it! If you look on their account they have a lot of examples of crazier setups but this is the basic one.
https://twitter.com/Btoretsukuru/status/1472043816547135489?t=kJEJNMwLI_Ipxz5vp6w8Ng

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 31, 2022

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Fearless posted:

Yes, there are rollers. They're not visually all that nice to look at, but they do exist.

https://www.micromark.com/HO-On30-Locomotive-Rollers-Assembled-Set-of-4

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

What I've seen before on Japanese twitter and infuriatingly can't find now are mini dioramas with a circular loop of track around them, mounted on a turntable that's set to spin in the opposite direction of the train so it effectively runs on the spot while the diorama moves around it. Not quite wall mountable but shelf friendly at least.

Edit: Found it! If you look on their account they have a lot of examples of crazier setups but this is the basic one.
https://twitter.com/Btoretsukuru/status/1472043816547135489?t=kJEJNMwLI_Ipxz5vp6w8Ng

That is z scale right? That would make sense for sure.

Another option perhaps that would be more of a shelf thing is a sectional layout design. Again with n or z scale. The idea of sectional is you making a small piece like, say, a few straight lines between some industries so you have some activity in it. But designed such that those lines can hook into another section in the future to make a larger layout. Rinse and repeat. It can even be for yourself as much as for a club. For now in your apartment, you'd have a section to play with. But, once you move to a larger space, you can make another section and link them. And so on.

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000

Lil' dude slaps!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

RillAkBea posted:

This is both intriguing and perfect, thank you for this.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Another option too since I mentioned the sectional that I forgot about might be a project like this:

https://www.noch.com/briefcase-layouts

Not saying buy one of those, but another idea to look at when talking of something small that you can store away for apartment living.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

A small engine terminal wouldn't take up a whole lot of space, depending on what sort of area you'd be willing or able to go with. Not much more moving around than shuttling between the inbound track, processing, storage (if needed), and moving to the ready track, but still something. The Europeans, especially English, do more of this style than North Americans, in part because of the size difference between our equipment (a British 2-10-0 of the 1950s was considered enormous at 66 feet long and is the largest they have to contend with. A North American locomotive of the same wheel arrangement was 82 feet long and average sized.).

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I've been toying with creating some kind of WW1 era trench railroad display, so I am not looking to use a particularly large engine or a very long train. I like the example posted with the middle sections that can be swapped in and out for variety's sake, so that creates a lot of different options.

Not sure what is available in Z or N gauges for trench locomotives though. That might get pricey.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Fearless posted:

I've been toying with creating some kind of WW1 era trench railroad display, so I am not looking to use a particularly large engine or a very long train. I like the example posted with the middle sections that can be swapped in and out for variety's sake, so that creates a lot of different options.

Not sure what is available in Z or N gauges for trench locomotives though. That might get pricey.

Z gauge will limit you to German/Japanese steam unless you go the 3d printing route unfortunately, they've both got some nice looking trains though.

I'd commit to building a T gauge layout in a heartbeat if there were any steam locomotives available, regardless of nationality/era. It's just so dang tiny, I love it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I had no idea Z gauge had been surpassed as the littlest gauge.

If this is the actual web site for T gauge, it sounds like covid sorta torpedoed their expansion efforts for a time. I get why they'd use distributors, though a part of me wonders why they just wouldn't sell direct, seems easier.

Also, thread, prepare for a nerd question. All the talk about fume hoods etc has got me thinking. Can anybody find the SDSs for, say, Tamiya paint? For Vallejo?

I may have just finished a WHMIS course, don't judge me

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

XF-56 SDS.

Something something goons something testicles etc.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

XF-56 SDS.

Something something goons something testicles etc.

Crap that's like one of my favorite colors.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Charliegrs posted:

Crap that's like one of my favorite colors.

If this is your first SDS it may seem alarming

I also have to agree

quote:

Other reactivity information
* To be a normal condition is stability

e: nice, when disposing of in an incinerator the incinerator needs an afterburner

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 2, 2022

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Lacquer ain't good for you. Don't breathe it, don't drink it, definitely don't inject it into your gonads. Anybody's, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
New project! I've been thinking of redoing my airbrush spray booth for a while now. My current unit was two of the typical cheapy hobby units bolted together, with a hood that had to flare out widely to give me the space I needed. Not ideal, not as quiet as it could be, and the ergonomics of it were lacking. Then I remembered I had a big box fan sitting in closet taking up space, so I decide to build a new booth based around that.

The box fan is the main body, which I created a hood for out of translucent corrugated plastic board, sometimes know as Coroplast or Fluted Hi-Core. These means the entire hood will transmit light from my powerful overhead LED shop lights. That attaches with a high-strength velcro strips. I also added in some inward angling wood strips, which I then attached LED strips to for even more lighting. The 45deg inner angle means they light what I'm working on, without blasting me in the eyes. RGB's as well, so I can tune the color of the light depending on what I'm working on. The filter is a standard furnace filter, which conveniently comes in the exact same dimensions as the box fan. I put in a small retaining slat at the top of the fan with some scrap wood to hold filter in place, while being loose enough I can pull the filter out easily when it needs replacing, which will be much cheaper and easier to obtain than the filters for the hobby spray booth. And then I bought a new lazy-susan just for the heck of it to replace the old and dirty one I had been using before.

This gives me more space than my old booth in both vertical and horizontal, and more suction with less noise. Win win!