Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Aw :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
The PG Exia especially the lighting edition is a really amazing build as well.

Granted it's my only PG I've made, but it would be in my top 3 builds out of all the ones I've made so far.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I built the PG Strike back in the day and I would not buy it again today. Bigger kits are usually larger chunks of plastic and they rarely justify the scale increase whether in price or complexity.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

PGs are released so infrequently they don't get as much engineering focus or progress as other lines do- each new one is better, but, it doesn't take going very far back before they're not fantastic, apparently.

that said none of them are bad, some will just be a lot older feeling than others. i've got a PG Mk2 Gundam to build once i finish my PGU, uh, eventually, since i've been kind of neglecting finishing that kit off. but i'm going into that PG Mk2 knowing well that it's going to involve screws and other aspects of larger, older kits that they've mostly engineered away these days.

all the PGs look fantastic though

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Wait, older gundams had screws?!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yup. I did the PG Mk II a few months back and it has screws in it's major joints and on some smaller parts too.
Been a while, but I'm pretty sure some (or all) of them didn't have any nuts to screw into, thew just cut threads into the plastic. So you need to be sure they're straight when you start screwing them in.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Sea Lily posted:

that said none of them are bad, some will just be a lot older feeling than others. i've got a PG Mk2 Gundam to build once i finish my PGU, uh, eventually, since i've been kind of neglecting finishing that kit off. but i'm going into that PG Mk2 knowing well that it's going to involve screws and other aspects of larger, older kits that they've mostly engineered away these days.

The Mk2 has some very "interesting" design choices, for example the legs aren't one continuous structure, they're made of several blocks that fit together. I also didn't like the little chains for the conduits, they look like they should be on a cheap keyring from the 90s.

Moola posted:

Yeah, they were great, especially for heavy stuff.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 27, 2022

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Moola posted:

I have the pg zeta. It has like 60 screws

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
that's wild!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Sea Lily posted:

PGs are released so infrequently they don't get as much engineering focus or progress as other lines do- each new one is better, but, it doesn't take going very far back before they're not fantastic, apparently.

all the PGs look fantastic though

I don't mean to dog on you or sound like a broken record, but the PG Eva really is bad. Put aside the problems with a kit from the 90s, you're building a crappy skeleton and sticking it inside a ill-fitting rubber wetsuit, which is what the actual armor mounts on. Building it is suffering, it looks horrible, it can't pose, and touching it makes the armor explode off. It is literally the worst Eva kit out there, including the original runs.

The PG Mk II is an old kit with all that entails; the PG Eva is a bad kit, full stop. Please buy literally any other PG kit out there first.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

This is the first time I've heard anything complain about the pg strike though. can't really think of any major flaws with it, other than lacking some surface details. The articulation is great and the inner frame detail is lovely. You get it all for a very reasonable price.

The pg eva is a god awful kit. It's so unlike other perfect grades that I hesitate to even call it a perfect grade . It's this weird model kit that has some really cool box art and that's it.

The only pg gundam I can really rag on is the pg zeta, because its proportions are just... weird. I mean I love having a big rear end zeta, but it's still off.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Moola posted:

The MG G Gundam kits did too. The screws added stability that helped then pull off some crazy poses.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

I had to see it to believe it. 17:10 in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h-2IU3GsD8&t=1030s

:psyduck:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Suzaku posted:

The MG G Gundam kits did too. The screws added stability that helped then pull off some crazy poses.

Yeah, my Zetaplus came out around the same time as the original God Gundam and it had screws to tighten the knee joints

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Monaghan posted:

This is the first time I've heard anything complain about the pg strike though. can't really think of any major flaws with it, other than lacking some surface details. The articulation is great and the inner frame detail is lovely. You get it all for a very reasonable price.

It's not bad. It's just adequate, I suppose? In the end my view on it is heavily colored by my then-declining interest and satisfaction in Gunpla.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Gunpla shortage has made the news

https://twitter.com/nikkeibusiness/status/1486104357489635330?t=GiDb_aN5HA4xgtB4-1KQXw&s=19

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Me when I got to the HLJ homepage everyday.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Me after Gundam Store and More closed a few months after I moved within driving distance.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

Me after Gundam Store and More closed a few months after I moved within driving distance.

Oh man, I remember that. I used to buy from them all the time. That was a sad day.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
:siren: The 2022 Moderoid kits are starting to go up for preorder on HLJ :siren:.

So far it's three Magic Knight Rayearth kits, Fafner Mark Nicht, the Aliens Power Loader, the Patlabor AV-2 Valiant, and Zeorymer.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
As someone who's been disappointed by Koto kits in the past (I bought an Armored Core and a Muv-Luv--both had poor colour separation and the former was barely poseable and fell apart during a move while the latter was just kinda unimpressive for its price), are their Zoid kits worth a drat? I have no real affinity towards Zoids, but building something less humanoid sounds like a change of pace. Was looking at the Lightning Saix and the Liger Zero because they're relatively cheap, or splurging on the X because it's fancy looking and newer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mordja posted:

As someone who's been disappointed by Koto kits in the past (I bought an Armored Core and a Muv-Luv--both had poor colour separation and the former was barely poseable and fell apart during a move while the latter was just kinda unimpressive for its price), are their Zoid kits worth a drat? I have no real affinity towards Zoids, but building something less humanoid sounds like a change of pace. Was looking at the Lightning Saix and the Liger Zero because they're relatively cheap, or splurging on the X because it's fancy looking and newer.

Their 1/72 HMM Zoid kits are fantastic. I've got the Liger Zero Panzer and GunSniper, they've both been real fun and solid builds

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
I put together the PG Red Frame last year and it really was kind of a dud. The 1/60 scale was kind of cool, and there were a few metal parts in the hips which was interesting, but at the end of the day the engineering and gimmicks of the MG and RG Red Frame are just as good or better, without the huge PG price tag. Seems like something to go for if you really like a suit or really enjoy the size, but otherwise there's not really anything too inherently special about the line from my limited experience with it.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Mordja posted:

I had to get mine for almost $100 on Amazon several months back, even with whatever shipping hlj has going on, that is a good deal and I know the Zoids kits are good, especially the Liger line

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Just Dan Again posted:

I put together the PG Red Frame last year and it really was kind of a dud. The 1/60 scale was kind of cool, and there were a few metal parts in the hips which was interesting, but at the end of the day the engineering and gimmicks of the MG and RG Red Frame are just as good or better, without the huge PG price tag. Seems like something to go for if you really like a suit or really enjoy the size, but otherwise there's not really anything too inherently special about the line from my limited experience with it.

The secret of the PG Astrays is the frame is mostly recycled from the Strike, which is slightly disappointing.

It's a cool idea, and I can see what they were going for. It definitely adds to the feeling of it being an organic being with armor plates on top. It feels somewhat ahead of its time for plamo in the early 2000s, but at the same time it's aiming for something that really just wasn't possible at the time.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 28, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's neat that the Livelance Heaven's wings are attached to the backpack and can move back when they're open, that gives you a lot more posing options when the wings are open as opposed to the old Deathscythe Hell kit. And it lets the wings be arranged much more nicely behind the Gundam in a splayed formation.

But all that extra articulation makes getting them lined up just right when they're close much harder.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
If we're talking painted clear kits, this is the best one I've found.

https://twitter.com/GundamBro/status/1432124333665787904?s=20&t=bRlKlzKRGBHbma6fvtquGg

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Solkanar512 posted:

If we're talking painted clear kits, this is the best one I've found.

https://twitter.com/GundamBro/status/1432124333665787904?s=20&t=bRlKlzKRGBHbma6fvtquGg

....does anyone make kits of dekotora? that's where my mind went, anyway.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Light Gun Man posted:

....does anyone make kits of dekotora? that's where my mind went, anyway.

They do actually! Aoshima has a few different grades of them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I put together my HG Bunyip Boomerang and I gotta say; This kit's actually a LOT of fun. The legs are really nice to play with, going from this Metal Gear Rex-ish stompy hunched-over robot to a long-legged humanoid form, and it's surprisingly stable on its own feet without an action base. It's a good kit to play with, and my only complaint is that some of the chunkier joints (eg; where the legs connect to the hip) can be a little stiff because there's no polycaps involved. If you want something to fiddle with and stand on your desk, there's worse kits you could pick.

I'm honestly hoping for the second cour of AMAIM to get another CoO machine (The Occeanic/Australian faction), because it'd be neat to hopefully see a another design with something similar (and maybe even more Metal Gear Rex-ish :pray:) as the the other two factions in the show had pretty :nallears: Mobile Suit Grunt knockoffs by comparison.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Oh, oh goddamnit.

For a few years I stopped buying/building plamo cause I couldn't hold concentration long enough to make them like I wanted. Then I did a quick finish on one of Bandai's VF-1 kits that I had laying around.
And now I've got two Macross resin kits from ~1995 that I'm buying joint parts for.

May Space Whale have mercy on my soul

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

RillAkBea posted:

They do actually! Aoshima has a few different grades of them.

shiiiiiiit

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Moola posted:

Most MGs had screws, and I have a screwdriver from an old no grade Nu Gundam kit on my key ring to this day.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They're releasing a new gun for the RG Hi-Nu

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
That's a big gun

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
That Gundam seems to be compensating for something...

Recoil! :haw:

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Gripweed posted:

They're releasing a new gun for the RG Hi-Nu

Is this a different gun from the other giant gun they gave it?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Looks the same to me.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Yeah that gun has been on P-Bandai twice last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Finally got the Queadluun kit scrubbed down and was able to tape enough together to see how big it's really going to be. I knew that they were big but even in 1/72 it's going to be somewhere around 25cm tall.