Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CSM posted:

It has also thrown variants at us that are less virulent and which most of the populations in largely immunized countries seem to resist without getting severely sick as variants in the beginning of the pandemic made people.

Omicron is no less virulent than Wuhan-Hu-1.

Yeah, sure, IFR is lower after vaccines, but that’s like saying that Kaiser Wilhelm is throwing weaker poo poo at us now that we have gas masks and helmets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hey everybody, I just got back from outside. Checked the weather, looks like covid is done.

Yep, everything cleared right up!

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Hell yeah buddy, did you have that red ominous sky?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Shinjobi posted:

Hey everybody, I just got back from outside. Checked the weather, looks like covid is done.

Yep, everything cleared right up!

It's actually quite beautiful out today. As a fully vaxxed person I feel that I can enjoy it :)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

The virus fading into the background and becoming endemic would be a signifier of the pandemic ending

Our main point is that “endemic” doesn’t have to mean “fading into the background”, though often endemic diseases that don’t adequately fade into the background are label “epidemic” on purely marketing grounds. Prior to antibiotics and vaccination, endemic infectious diseases were the number one cause of death, so the push to imagine “endemic” as synonymous with “ignorable” is frankly baffling.

(I’m not saying we shouldn’t call malaria/hiv/tb pandemics or global epidemics, though. They definitely need any propaganda advantage they can get)

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

QuarkJets posted:

I'm not an expert but I don't think that this "small but persistent and cumulative damage" idea is realistic or even feasible
Why not? We know that repeated infections are a thing and that at least some people experience persistent symptoms/tissue damage from their infections. Why couldn't it be cumulative?

That said, I'd really like to be wrong and am also not an expert.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Is it 'roni or allergies...only the swab will tell...

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
A giant gently caress you to covid for loving up my healthy routine and ruining my happy place! I tried to go back to the gym today, but after seeing multiple people not even try to wear a mask, I just left... It was my first time back since omicron hit about a month ago, but literally no vaccine cards were checked and they didn’t seem to care about the mask thing.

I’m not a morning person, but maybe the 6am crowd is better?

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
My at-home tests via USPS are supposed to arrive today, just in time to find out if the symptoms I woke up with are Round Four of covid. How wonderful.

I had just gotten enough of my wind back to change my bedsheets myself instead of begging a friend to do it for me, from Round Three that I got symptoms on Sept 20th. Got my booster Jan 7th, too.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

hazardousmouse posted:

Hell yeah buddy, did you have that red ominous sky?

I was frolicking through the blood rain, it was pleasant as hell

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

QuarkJets posted:

I'm not an expert but I don't think that this "small but persistent and cumulative damage" idea is realistic or even feasible

tell this to anyone with covid-induced new onset diabetes, or with long term gas exchange damage to their lungs. i bet that'll go over well!

actually this is basically what the government is telling these victims when they seek financial support for their conditions and they havent rioted yet, possibly due to the severe fatigue from lung damage, or the ketoacidosis, so i guess it does go over well :ohno:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

liz posted:

A giant gently caress you to covid for loving up my healthy routine and ruining my happy place! I tried to go back to the gym today, but after seeing multiple people not even try to wear a mask, I just left... It was my first time back since omicron hit about a month ago, but literally no vaccine cards were checked and they didn’t seem to care about the mask thing.

You can get a fair amount done at home if you have dumbbells/kettlebells. Though if you live in a city or lack the space that's gonna suck to find enough space to do anything

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Platystemon posted:

Omicron is no less virulent than Wuhan-Hu-1.

Yeah, sure, IFR is lower after vaccines, but that’s like saying that Kaiser Wilhelm is throwing weaker poo poo at us now that we have gas masks and helmets.
Yeah maybe not Wuhan strain, but still less virulent than earlier variants:

quote:

They found the Omicron variant to be overall less virulent than previous strains. In particular, rodent subjects did not experience unhealthy weight loss, which was observed in the earlier subjects. Additionally, the viral burden in the upper and lower respiratory tract was 10 to 100-fold lower than Beta variant-infected mice after only three days post-infection. Viral load in nasal turbinates was nearly 1000-fold lower in Omicron-infected subjects.

Four additional studies corroborate these findings, including three others investigating Omicron in hamsters and one in mice. All three found that Omicron induced more moderate disease than Delta or earlier strains. We note caution in the extrapolation of animal models to human virus behavior, but these findings are significant.

How is this possible? It seems this strain has substantial differences in its pathogenetic process that lead to differing symptomatic outcomes. Omicron is localized to the upper respiratory system: nose, throat, windpipe, and upper lung. Chi-wai et al. found that Omicron infects and multiplies 70-times faster in the upper airways than Delta, supporting a transmission advantage. However, lower lung titers dropped as much as 10-fold in the lower respiratory tract as early as 48 hours post-infection. This data suggests that Omicron is custom-suited to infect rapidly, but does not yield as severe respiratory symptoms as seen in previous variants.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2022/01/11/omicron-less-virulent-but-still-dangerous/?sh=10f0b832ea6c

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

my prediction is that the disease that mutates rapidly and tends to cause systemic organ failures in most of its current forms will simply stop mutating once it reaches a relatively harmless variant and we accept it permanently into our lives :)

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 31, 2022

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

QuarkJets posted:

You don't see how it's feasible that repeated exposure to a bat pathogen that makes our immune system go nuts could use up our finite stock of naive T-cells? Telomeres can only divide so many times, T-cell deficiencies are a big reason why old people get so sick.

I'm not an expert here, but there are experts worried about this, so if they think it's feasible, I'm willing to think the same.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 31, 2022

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
That's not even the mechanism of cumulative damage I'd expect or be concerned about, honestly.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

liz posted:

I go to a 24 hour gym at 1AM usually and it's weird, 80% of the time there'll be no one else or maybe one person there, but the other 20% it'll be loving full for some reason

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Hardawn posted:

A coworker of mine was pretty sick with covid recently. She's not taking any chances and ordered some horse paste off Amazon. Last night our director of operations called her and asked to bring him some. I'm pretty excited, I hope he takes it.

congrats on the upcoming promotion

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

my prediction is that the disease that mutates rapidly and tends to cause systemic organ failures in most of its current forms will simply stop mutating once it reaches a relatively harmless variant and we accept it permanently into our lives :)

it will probably reach a point where it gets about as fit as it can and further mutations aren't as likely to outcompete anything. hopefully that also is a version that doesn't make us very sick.

it's expected that after some time the costs of long covid will far outweigh the costs of people being sick or dying from covid. and while we (or most of us) have the benefit of being vaccinated, which studies have shown does dramatically reduce (though not eliminate) the risk of long covid, most people in the world don't have that luxury so the future costs of long covid will be mostly borne by those who didn't have the option of choosing otherwise

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hardawn posted:

A coworker of mine was pretty sick with covid recently. She's not taking any chances and ordered some horse paste off Amazon. Last night our director of operations called her and asked to bring him some. I'm pretty excited, I hope he takes it.

LOL if your co-worker and boss die from Amazon counterfeit horse paste.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Nah, it'll mutate and turn people into old school draculas, all black and white while going "Bleh!".

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

CSM posted:

The pandemic becoming endemic and "continuing" is a whole different league than the pandemic continuing and remaining as severe as it is now. Scientists will tell you that the former scenario is what they expect, as your own source points out:
this also burning racing cars tumbling through a crowd of spectators always eventually come to rest and the fire even goes out so what's to worry about why bother with debris fences round race tracks

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I too miss gyms, I was doing 5 miles every other day on the elliptical, I desperately miss cardio. I did however pick up Ring Fit thanks to this thread and I'm having a blast with it, between being sore as poo poo because I ignore it when it tells me to stop.

Saw this and did a small sad lol

https://i.imgur.com/qjAC64Y.mp4

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

toiletbrush posted:

this also burning racing cars tumbling through a crowd of spectators always eventually come to rest and the fire even goes out so what's to worry about why bother with debris fences round race tracks
Where was I arguing against containment measures for Covid?

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

CSM posted:

Where was I arguing against containment measures for Covid?

Probably in your mom's basement

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Close up shop we gottem boiz

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A disease that you can catch simply by passing an infected person in the street (rare but certainly possible for covid) will burn through it's reservoir of hosts much, much more quickly than one that requires a very specific set of circumstances to jump from person to person
it's a good thing we can only catch covid once

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Stickman posted:

Our main point is that “endemic” doesn’t have to mean “fading into the background”, though often endemic diseases that don’t adequately fade into the background are label “epidemic” on purely marketing grounds. Prior to antibiotics and vaccination, endemic infectious diseases were the number one cause of death, so the push to imagine “endemic” as synonymous with “ignorable” is frankly baffling.

The poster I replied to literally said "permanent background noise like the common cold", it's fine that you're talking about something else but I was responding to that poster

E: personally I agree, endemic does not mean that covid-19 is no longer a concern. It can mean that the pandemic is over, depending on what the transmission rate looks like. Does that make sense? Basically I'm thinking of the ways in which previous pandemics have ended, usually with the disease not really going away but with a long enough lull in severe cases

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 1, 2022

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Pyrtanis posted:

I too miss gyms, I was doing 5 miles every other day on the elliptical, I desperately miss cardio. I did however pick up Ring Fit thanks to this thread and I'm having a blast with it, between being sore as poo poo because I ignore it when it tells me to stop.

How is Ring Fit? I hadn't really considered it since for a while they were impossible to find

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fur20 posted:

tell this to anyone with covid-induced new onset diabetes, or with long term gas exchange damage to their lungs. i bet that'll go over well!

We weren't talking about long-term symptoms, we were talking about the idea that people who keep catching covid are accumulating permanent damage each time that eventually causes them to lose all of their hp and die after enough infections. I don't think that's how any disease works, at least not in normal people.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

You don't see how it's feasible that repeated exposure to a bat pathogen that makes our immune system go nuts could use up our finite stock of naive T-cells? Telomeres can only divide so many times, T-cell deficiencies are a big reason why old people get so sick.

I'm not an expert here, but there are experts worried about this, so if they think it's feasible, I'm willing to think the same.

My understanding was that naive t-cells are depleted by age rather than by disease exposure quantity, but happy to be corrected if you can provide a source

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'm reasonably certain that it was only you that was talking about your videogames or whatever

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

QuarkJets posted:

We weren't talking about long-term symptoms, we were talking about the idea that people who keep catching covid are accumulating permanent damage each time that eventually causes them to lose all of their hp and die after enough infections. I don't think that's how any disease works, at least not in normal people.

My understanding was that naive t-cells are depleted by age rather than by disease exposure quantity, but happy to be corrected if you can provide a source

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2018.02569/full

Seems to happen with some of the big nasties. There is some evidence it is happening with COVID as well. ( Someone please correct the poor liberal arts major, but isn't the point of naive T cells to be "used/imprinted" when a new pathogen is encountered?)

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41590-021-01113-x?s=09

https://www.drugtargetreview.com/news/81320/t-cell-exhaustion-may-limit-long-term-immunity-in-covid-19-patients/

I'm not saying, "COVID is airborne aids for everyone who gets it", I am saying it's too early to hoist the "Mission Accomplished" banner on the flight deck just yet.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 1, 2022

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

How is Ring Fit? I hadn't really considered it since for a while they were impossible to find

It's actually pretty good and fun. You learn a few basic yoga poses. Of course most people lay it down after a little while so it's not worth the $80 for everyone.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ring fit is excellent because you can adjust difficulty (both sensitivity of the ring, and number of repetitions) by user, unlike Wii Fit or Wii Sports. Kids can play it with minimal assistance from adults.
Story mode keeps it from getting tedious, but you can also build custom routines.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Shinjobi posted:

Ring Fit is pretty good for getting you up and moving, and it's a great workout for the sedentary, but I don't know if it's a full gym replacement for anyone who lifts regularly. The ring just doesn't have enough resistance for that. But for bodyweight squats and yoga holds and such it's really nice.

I'm a bit disappointed in it as a game, though. The writing is dumb and they went overboard on the "Don't hurt yourself!" interruptions because they're terrified of being sued, I assume. But ffs let me turn off tutorial tips. You don't need to tell me how to do a squat every single loving time I turn on the game.

We ended up subbing to Beachbody.com (home of P90X) which is basically Netflix for workouts. I'm not a huge fan of their marketing model or the way they push their nutrition shakes at you, but there are a lot of great 30 minute workout options and then much longer more hardcore options too. Pick a time of day, pick a workout, and follow the plan. All you have to do is turn on the video and follow along. You do need dumbbells and preferably a pull-up bar, though. They usually have modifications for no bar (whether they are effective or not is a different question) but the dumbbells are required. It doesn't have to take up a LOT of space if you just watch where you're stepping... probably not much more than a treadmill would take up. I basically do it in the same area I do VR. (Beat Saber is also an awesome workout, btw)

After finishing 8 weeks of P90X3 and 4 weeks of The Prep, my legs are solid and my knee is injured from all the goddamn lunges :v: being old is awesome.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Novavax finally requested EUA in the US

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1488221232642379777

They got provisional approval here in Australia recently but it'll take a month or so before we can start injecting it into arms because our government simply can't plan ahead for things like this and we didn't bother ordering any shipments until the entire approval process was completed
https://www.tga.gov.au/media-release/tga-provisionally-approves-novavax-biocelect-pty-ltds-covid-19-vaccine-nuvaxovid

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

EVERY MORNING I OPEN PALM SLAM A VIDEO INTO MY YOUTUBE PLAYLIST. ITS THE INTRODUCTION TO THE 1988 CRYSTAL LIGHT AEROBICS WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONG SIDE WITH THE AEROBICISTS. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO THEM HARD.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's a good video

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Ghostlight posted:

it's a good video

It's as if God decided to mix spandex and cocaine in the perfect ratio.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Novavax finally requested EUA in the US

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1488221232642379777

They got provisional approval here in Australia recently but it'll take a month or so before we can start injecting it into arms because our government simply can't plan ahead for things like this and we didn't bother ordering any shipments until the entire approval process was completed
https://www.tga.gov.au/media-release/tga-provisionally-approves-novavax-biocelect-pty-ltds-covid-19-vaccine-nuvaxovid

Anything special about this vaccine? I got 3 of the pfizer and don't really care which ones I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Mercury_Storm posted:

meanwhile, in present day, the united states of the americas...

First time I played Assassin's Creed Odyssey I let the family with the plague live, because come on, the priests were about to kill them, and maybe they'd still live or something

Turns out the priests were right I guess