Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-103/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=521

This chapter features the most relatable antagonist I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

We would have benefited more from just skipping that whole chapter.

These one off chapters building backstories for characters that have no role moving forward is a pointless waste that could be used to move the main plot forward. Just skip to cheonhee arriving and having an interesting fight instead of w/e the hell that was.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Yeah all these fights between nobodies + sudden backstory dumps are slowing this arc down to a crawl.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

this entire arc has been pretty bad imo - this story has been at its best when the arc is built around a fun floor game that gives different characters the opportunity to be clever. This whole cat tower nonsense just lacked so much substance. I think I tend to like this story the most when bam is with his buds and theyre doing team stuff, less when the author is banging his action figures together with increasingly larger & more colorful energy blasts.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-104/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=522

lol

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Like Bam doesn't just hoover up power ups on a day to day basis, that is literally his thing.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
One of the reasons I like tower of god is because the nobodies and the tower itself are often as interesting as the main plot/chars so i actually like the digressions.
This arc has some issues for sure ( grand spectacle explosions od is real), but the ha family “reunion” strikes a good balance between discovery, character insight and plot advance, unlike kendrick and haratcha, which were interesting but definitely shouldn’t be whole episodes.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

One of the reasons I like tower of god is because the nobodies and the tower itself are often as interesting as the main plot/chars so i actually like the digressions.
This arc has some issues for sure ( grand spectacle explosions od is real), but the ha family “reunion” strikes a good balance between discovery, character insight and plot advance, unlike kendrick and haratcha, which were interesting but definitely shouldn’t be whole episodes.

The Tower IS a character,

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i miss when this series was about personal drama between a relatively small core cast. this isn't necessarily incompatible with big DBZ-style energy blast battles but it is incompatible with having a cast of like 500 and introducing new characters to spotlight every single chapter

like looking back at my old posts i used to have a bunch of speculation about why Rachel is such an rear end in a top hat, i got really excited about Khun's backstory as well (which we got a little bit of in season 2 i think, on the island floor?) and the reason it was possible to get invested in those characters was that a) they were given time to breathe, b) we learned about them in a much more organic way, their character reflected in how they fought, how they interacted with the protagonists, and so on, instead of just massive info dumps

the only person who's been getting that kind of attention in s3 is White, who's okay i guess, but he's both a carryover and also not nearly as much fun to hate as Rachel

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 1, 2022

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
When the anime came out it reminded me how much I loved early ToG with the smaller core cast and weird rules based challenges. Probably no way to go back to that with the power and cast creep.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I think they just set up an arc for the original 3 to go together on at least no?

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
Fair criticisms, and ones i would usually agree on, but i guess i'm too much of a sucker for the "weird rear end place and people " angle, so it keeps being very appealing to me.
One thing i really miss from the earlier arcs is the paneling, it was great even when derivative or obvious in it's inspirations, and it made even the initial art shine, now it's almost generic shinsu goes boom for pages, like you all mentioned, with some exceptions here and there.( besides the chars, i must be the only person who wants to see how narae, the knight and the stupid sniper are now).

Also, fast-pass spoilers, Paul is totally LoPoBia's son right?

Kefahuchi_son!!! fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 2, 2022

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Also, fast-pass spoilers, Paul is totally LoPoBia's son right?

That would be an interesting twist. I hadn't thought about it, but it could make sense.

I would agree with a lot of the criticisms leveraged at ToG in the last couple posts, particularly with this latest arc. However, I think ToG triumphs in how it has constructed its setting, to a far greater degree than most manwha/manga ever even attempt to. The Tower itself and how much foreshadowing SiU has done over the years, and how the pay off is slowly starting to be drip-fed to us now that family heads and other big players have started to show up, is really great, as someone who's been reading since nearly the beginning.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Tosk posted:

That would be an interesting twist. I hadn't thought about it, but it could make sense.

I would agree with a lot of the criticisms leveraged at ToG in the last couple posts, particularly with this latest arc. However, I think ToG triumphs in how it has constructed its setting, to a far greater degree than most manwha/manga ever even attempt to. The Tower itself and how much foreshadowing SiU has done over the years, and how the pay off is slowly starting to be drip-fed to us now that family heads and other big players have started to show up, is really great, as someone who's been reading since nearly the beginning.

And also from the very very beginning we are told in no uncertain terms, Every Irregular is a loving monster powerwise

Bam just needed a warm up period

But surprise twist, all the family leaders? Also irregulars by the rules of the tower so there is still plenty of room for things to go down in the tower

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

We haven't seen Mazino in a long time

Baby

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I like the huge cast of ToG... except for the fact that they felt the need to have all of them show back up and introduce whole new swathes of cast at the same time.

I always thought ToG was one of the only series where a huge setting felt huge: Baam's friends from one section of the tower weren't always with him as things progressed. He made new friends and new allies as the situation advanced. People with their own goals stayed focused on their own goals and that meant splitting up and not always coming together.

My favorite moments in the story were the start of season 2 as Jue Viole Grace puts together his own new group of friends, not because I disliked Baam's season 1 friends, but because I liked seeing where the latter were and how it differed now.

But lately it's just been too much. Too many characters. New ones every chapter. Flashback after flashback. People show up, get a full flashback chapter, and then get owned at rhe beginning of the next chapter. It helps sell the tower as huge and full of people who had their own adventures.... but it killed the pacing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The tower setting actually makes zero sense (post-scarcity warlords with modern technology? where does food even come from and what are people even fighting over?) so the core of ToG is just Baam power scaling with a bunch of stuff slowing him and it down. That's ok, I dont really mind. I think Khun is super fun so it was a waste to have him leave for hundreds of chapters but that's just my opinion.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ToG makes as much sense as One Piece and is also kind of fun in many of the same ways imo.

I do think it's getting too big, too fast, too many characters etc. The story gets to be the most fun when its Bam, Kuhn, Rak back together or at least showing up together in chapters etc. I wish a few more of the very early characters would come back more often at least. It's all still fun but yeah sometimes it's overwhelming.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

to me the coolest part of the setting is like the princesses & the ignition weapons & the big fishies & the other irregulars and it sucks that we've gotten so far away from all that.

I want the princess characters to come back and be part of the cast :(

The thing I care abotu the least is all this "army group" non-sense. I could not give less of a poo poo about who is in charge of the "4th army group" or whatever.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jerkface posted:

to me the coolest part of the setting is like the princesses & the ignition weapons & the big fishies & the other irregulars and it sucks that we've gotten so far away from all that.

The thing I care abotu the least is all this "army group" non-sense. I could not give less of a poo poo about who is in charge of the "4th army group" or whatever.

Totally agree

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Jerkface posted:

The prince and princess system is the most tangible bad systemic thing that we know about in the tower too. Obviously individual family heads do bad things but the relationships between the families is reliant upon this barbaric breeding program/eugenics/selection process, like it's the true culture of Jahad's tower.

It's for sure the most interesting part of the setting because of that. My understanding is Anak is a kind of running joke in the fandom because she just wasnt included in the story for the past 10 years.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Remember when we thought Endorsi and Anak were gonna be a power duo and they were going to go against the princess system and grow to be major players?

lol

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Gologle posted:

Remember when we thought Endorsi and Anak were gonna be a power duo and they were going to go against the princess system and grow to be major players?

lol

i miss anak and endorsi so much :(

i need to reiterate how much i do not care about the intragroup politics of the army

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

There may be some pay off with more people or possibly a family head turning against Jahad?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i get a lot of peoples complaints with the fights these days involving lots of beam attacks and i assume its due to SiU's arthritis issues and its just much easier to draw

this arc has definitely dragged on way too long though

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jerkface posted:

i need to reiterate how much i do not care about the intragroup politics of the army

:agreed:

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Jerkface posted:

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I really don’t care about the dog people either, though guy riding the giant cat is funny and his cosmic horror form was cool.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yasratcha is really cute, it's just a shame he did something THAT HORRIBLE when he was introduced.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Jerkface posted:

Have we? My perception is that, except the ignition weapons, every one of those things you mentioned has been featured proeminently this arc, and the omnipresence of the workshop doings along with the emphasis on soul shennanigans might prove relevant to the weapons.

No Wave posted:

The tower setting actually makes zero sense (post-scarcity warlords with modern technology? where does food even come from and what are people even fighting over?) so the core of ToG is just Baam power scaling with a bunch of stuff slowing him and it down. That's ok, I dont really mind. I think Khun is super fun so it was a waste to have him leave for hundreds of chapters but that's just my opinion.

The appeal of the tower it's being this gigantic, impossible, unknowable thing, not making sense is a feature.
Although i like the plot just fine i think it's the setting that really makes it shine.

I can see how the 4th army stuff people complain could feel dull per se, but, for me, it barely feels like a plot and it's so woven in all the mysteries and background of everything that i don't mind.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Have we? My perception is that, except the ignition weapons, every one of those things you mentioned has been featured proeminently this arc, and the omnipresence of the workshop doings along with the emphasis on soul shennanigans might prove relevant to the weapons.

The appeal of the tower it's being this gigantic, impossible, unknowable thing, not making sense is a feature.
Although i like the plot just fine i think it's the setting that really makes it shine.

I can see how the 4th army stuff people complain could feel dull per se, but, for me, it barely feels like a plot and it's so woven in all the mysteries and background of everything that i don't mind.

Im more or less with you except that character bloat has def been a thing and the current arc kind of running right out of the past one, has been going on for a looong time and is getting a bit stale.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I think war arcs in most manga are a mistake due to cast issues

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-105/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=523

Call me crazy, but something tells me SIU is aware of the criticism this arc is garnering...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

so i get why people wouldn't but if you want to read to the latest chapters, which are about 3-4 ahead of the fast pass chapters too alpha scans are doing them

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Sindai posted:

https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-105/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=523

Call me crazy, but something tells me SIU is aware of the criticism this arc is garnering...

This was pretty good

Evankhell: This isn't Bloodm, This is all part of my clever plan and I wanted to be SHANKED by a giant spider Lady

Blue: Uh... you don't have to lie to us

Spider Lady's son: Really, We all saw it

Evankhell: SHUT UP I CAN SAY ITS PART OF MY CLEVER PLAN because I'll melt you if you disagree

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

its victory wine

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
This story is so fast-paced!

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Yeah, I mean, the plot is really moving!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-106/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=524
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-107/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=525

Seems bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

God the official translation just keeps getting worse lmao